Viking Ocean Rookie Experience

cruisewiscrrq

Thought I would do a trip report from the very beginning from the perspective of a multi big ship cruiser( X, Princess, MSC, RCB) but first time Viking Ocean cruiser.  We are going to be on Mars, Bergen to Stockholm, Viking Homelands June 2023. 1st booked direct with Viking last summer on web with another couple.  We both then transferred our bookings to our TA.  Absolutely no problem with booking.  Got category of cabin we wanted DV2 and location we needed midship.  Transfer to TA was easy as could be.

Yesterday was 67 days out, and ever since booking and starting to read Viking forum on CC, I have been very worried about availability of optional excursions in a DV cabin.  Turns out I worried about what turned out to be not much.  Booked Flam Railroad ( which is one excursion I really wanted) at the exact time bookings opened ( which was 3PM for us).  I am glad it was not 2AM or some other ridiculous time.  I did as was suggested and used ACH and paid immediately!  Then went back and booked my second most wanted excursion and paid for that.  Then got the last three optional excursions. One of the times I wanted was sold out but available at another time.  Then I booked the 7 included excursions we wanted.  Of the seven one was sold out on all times that we had available due to timing of optional excursions.  Two others we had to adjust our times but only meant an earlier breakfast.  The other four we got the times we wanted. So all in all not too bad of experience.  As a note having done several other big ship cruises and three river cruise the anxiety factor of this system seems to me to be unnecessary.  I don’t like this class preference system.  Why can river cruises and big ship cruises avoid this added anxiety?

So now I wait for my chance to book specially dining.  Not nearly as concerned, as according to posts here, we will be able to get reservations once onboard.  In fact we might wait till then as we are reasonably flexible about dinner times. It appears there is never a problem at the buffet or main dining room.

Well that’s all for now.  I will add to this post if I try for specific dinning reservations and also try to post periodically about my experience with boarding, cabin, excursions, food, service, and anything I think another newbee might find interesting.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Look forward to your perspective and your trip report. 

Having navigated the booking and  excursion process , you are no longer a rookie!!!! 🥰

I am doing the Scenic Scandinavia cruise June 12-22.  

Finished my excursion bookings and did do two reservations this week for alternative restaurants. I see them more as a place holder till we get on ship. Can always  change them or reserve on board. 

Love reading trip ropers. Currently reading three on celebrity and one on Agama .

I too will write a trip report .

Welcome to Viking! 

• Like 1

Suggestion for booking specialty dining - especially Manfredi's which is most popular.  We were able to easily reserve dining by reserving a table and inviting others - meaning friends we were traveling with.  Prior to our reservation window, i got the booking numbers for our friends.  I went on line for dining at our designated day and clicked on invite others or some such button - its clear where.  Then i added the numbers of our friends.  The problem with advance reservations for 2 people is 2 tops are limited.  However it is really easy to reserve for 4 or 6.  We got the dates and times we wanted.  Many people see this option but don't realize they need all the booking numbers to use it.  It doesn't work with names only.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, TayanaLorna said:

Suggestion for booking specialty dining - especially Manfredi's which is most popular.  We were able to easily reserve dining by reserving a table and inviting others - meaning friends we were traveling with.  Prior to our reservation window, i got the booking numbers for our friends.  I went on line for dining at our designated day and clicked on invite others or some such button - its clear where.  Then i added the numbers of our friends.  The problem with advance reservations for 2 people is 2 tops are limited.  However it is really easy to reserve for 4 or 6.  We got the dates and times we wanted.  Many people see this option but don't realize they need all the booking numbers to use it.  It doesn't work with names only.

Weighing in as another first-timer on Viking Ocean (but experienced cruiser on other lines.)

The category class system also appears on the dining reservations.  We are traveling in a party of six on a Viking Homelands itinerary in May, with two of the couples traveling in higher category suites than we are.  They had all the booking numbers but could not invite us when it was their time to reserve as our booking window had not yet opened. 

So, I think the invitation function will only work once the window opens for the lowest category in the party--i.e., I think I could have invited the other two couples.  By that time, of course, the other two couples had already booked their specialty tables.  The couple in the highest category suite in our party even called Viking the day their window opened to ask about not being able to invite the other two couples.  The agent told them we would have to wait until we boarded and then combine our reservations.  The agent suggested we all book two-tops for the same date/time--which seems to reduce the pool of that desired commodity even further for others.  (We found, in fact, when it was our turn to book our group dates/times that all the two-tops for the restaurant at the desired time were already booked.  We took the next slot and hope that will be close enough to allow us to combine.)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, loriva said:

Weighing in as another first-timer on Viking Ocean (but experienced cruiser on other lines.)

The category class system also appears on the dining reservations.  We are traveling in a party of six on a Viking Homelands itinerary in May, with two of the couples traveling in higher category suites than we are.  They had all the booking numbers but could not invite us when it was their time to reserve as our booking window had not yet opened. 

So, I think the invitation function will only work once the window opens for the lowest category in the party--i.e., I think I could have invited the other two couples.  By that time, of course, the other two couples had already booked their specialty tables.  The couple in the highest category suite in our party even called Viking the day their window opened to ask about not being able to invite the other two couples.  The agent told them we would have to wait until we boarded and then combine our reservations.  The agent suggested we all book two-tops for the same date/time--which seems to reduce the pool of that desired commodity even further for others.  (We found, in fact, when it was our turn to book our group dates/times that all the two-tops for the restaurant at the desired time were already booked.  We took the next slot and hope that will be close enough to allow us to combine.)

That is true, it only works if everyone's stateroom category is able to reserve.  However, if your friends reserved a table for 4, they can request adding you to their table once on board.  We have easily done that.  You can also combine all the 2 tops at that time.  In each case you may not get exactly the time you want.  On our last cruise in February, the desks outside each of the specialty restaurants had a person taking/changing reservations.  Each desk will take reservations for both restaurants.  After embarkation day, the desk at the portside entrance to the World Cafe will take reservations for both specialty ones.  Each ship could have a different process, so if you don't see a person at each specialty restaurant desk on Day 1, ask Guest Services.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well today was when I could book specialty restaurants.  Waiting on Chefs Table till onboard and can see menus.  Booking the Italian restaurant was easy and got day and time we wanted.  Couple of notes for other rookies.  If you are booking for other guests you need to know their booking number and which last name booking number applies to.  That booking number a correct last name will book both people on that reservation.  I was unaware of both these requirements and had to make quick call to our friends to find details of their booking.  Other than that no problems.  Looking forward to cruise on 6/20/23 as I think this is last thing that needs to be done prior to boarding.

Nice to hear it went fairly well for you. I'm trying not to get too worried or stressed about booking ours next year. We have like 18 days worth of excursions to book, so I'll need to read up beforehand and plan which ones we really want to do and just make sure I try for the top of the list things first. I'm sure you're getting excited now!

On 4/15/2023 at 4:36 PM, TayanaLorna said:

Tayana,

We used the "Invite Others" button today.  It wasn't showing up when the bookings opened, but did about 11 AM.  Thanks for the info.

Tim

FYI: It seems that last week Viking opened up more pre-departure reservation slots, maybe even reverted to the pre-pandemic plan, for the specialty restaurants. With a couple of possible exceptions, getting pre-departure reservations should be a lot easier now.

12 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

FYI: It seems that last week Viking opened up more pre-departure reservation slots, maybe even reverted to the pre-pandemic plan, for the specialty restaurants. With a couple of possible exceptions, getting pre-departure reservations should be a lot easier now.

I can verify that.  For our June 7 cruise, suddenly last Sunday lots of restaurant slots for 2 opened up - especially 6:00 and 6:30, on nearly every day of the 14 day cruise on Saturn.  There for the pickings.

Latest update on excursions.  Had an excursion booked with Ronne Fjords out of Stravanger for Pulpit Rock fjord.  They emailed me and said their tour would not arrive back in time for our ships departure at 1:30PM. Refunded $, but I wanted to do this excursion so booked Viking similar tour at more that twice the cost.  OH WELL as Dolly said in “Hello Dolly” “money is like manure it is only good if it is spread around.”

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Cienfuegos said:

Good thread, lots of useful information.

In my experience, booking a table for 8 pm is rarely a challenge. Even on the same day. There seems to be a preference among many diners for 5.30 - 7 pm.

So that they can make it to the 9 pm show.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well the adventure never ends.  Wife broke foot and now uses a knee scooter.  Read on board experience on MVJ and it said scooters were not allowed.  Called Viking and they said that means motorized scooters.  They further said that she might have trouble with some of the excursions.  We are still going through and she says that if she can’t do an excursion she will treat it as a sea day.  Two weeks and two days till we board.

29 minutes ago, cruisewiscrrq said:

Well the adventure never ends.  Wife broke foot and now uses a knee scooter.  Read on board experience on MVJ and it said scooters were not allowed.  Called Viking and they said that means motorized scooters.  They further said that she might have trouble with some of the excursions.  We are still going through and she says that if she can’t do an excursion she will treat it as a sea day.  Two weeks and two days till we board.

Be independent rather than relying on ship excursions. Local taxis (but DO NOT put the knee thing in the boot, long story short, attempt to seriously overcharge thwarted by rapid exit) 

A lot of things will be easy to get to on foot or consider a cheap folding wheelchair. 

Also don't check the scooter at the gate or desk. Insist on it being from and return to cabin door if it can't go in the onboard lockers or cupboards. 

Baggage systems kill mobility equipment on a depressingly regular basis 

Edited by KBs mum

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/4/2023 at 7:31 PM, cruisewiscrrq said:

Yes go for it!

life is short - you will enjoy Viking we hope.  Yes there will be ups and downs, but as long as are are travelers who understand the unexpected is an adventure and don’t “demand” perfect, like some posters, you’ll enjoy it!

take each day as it comes!

• Like 4

On 4/15/2023 at 11:38 AM, cruisewiscrrq said:

I did as was suggested and used ACH and paid immediately!

As a Viking first timer, I would like to know more about this advice. Our excursion booking window opens in August. We have the date and exact time marked in our calendar. Is there an advantage to paying via ACH versus credit card? Any other tips for booking excursions and dining when our window opens?

20 minutes ago, junglejane said:

As a Viking first timer, I would like to know more about this advice. Our excursion booking window opens in August. We have the date and exact time marked in our calendar. Is there an advantage to paying via ACH versus credit card? Any other tips for booking excursions and dining when our window opens?

The advantage for using ACH is that you save 3.3% off the cost of the excursion and that you are able to quickly pay for an excursion as you set up the ACH once and then select it as the payment method.   With a credit card you have to enter the card details every time you pay for what is in your cart, which slows down the reservation process.  Depending on your credit card, you might get a better deal than the 3.3% discount, or you might need the points for something else.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, junglejane said:

Any other tips for booking excursions and dining when our window opens?

Besides the ACH question which was answered above, it's important to have a plan. Some popular optional excursions sell out quickly. Prioritized what excursions you want to go on, sign on as soon as your window opens, and purchase those first. Until you pay for everything in your cart, you seat is not reserved. Therefore, select your highest priority optional excursion first and complete the checkout process. Then do the next one. Rinse. Repeat. Do the included excursions last as they do not sell out (you may not get the time you want but Viking will make additional time slots available, if necessary). Checking out one excursion at a time is why many people recommend using ACH. Since you do not need to reenter the information, you can check out each excursion much more quickly.

BTW Popular excursions may sell out quickly but at a later date Viking may offer additional seats. If you do not get what you want, keep checking MVJ daily. Sometimes people cancel and sometimes Viking will arrange additional tour guides and transportation. Keep in mind that with the post-COVID shortage of tour guides this might not be possible. Also, some excursions like the privileged access ones, have a fixed limit on the number of persons allowed each day. 

Edited by OneSixtyToOne
  • Thanks 1