WOW Bands

I just saw something in the app about WOW bands. Are these worth the cost?  My son and I are doing a B2B on Oasis this summer. The rest of the family is joining us for the second leg.  Also, I would assume that only one room can be linked to each band, correct?  We often like to have keys to each others rooms so I am thinking we would need to have key cards anyway. 

1 hour ago, bayportkat said:

I just saw something in the app about WOW bands. Are these worth the cost?  My son and I are doing a B2B on Oasis this summer. The rest of the family is joining us for the second leg.  Also, I would assume that only one room can be linked to each band, correct?  We often like to have keys to each others rooms so I am thinking we would need to have key cards anyway. 

Waste of money back when they were introduced, waste of money now. 

• Like 2

Talked to several WOW Band wearers on our recent Wonder cruise.  Consensus was they do seem to work this time as advertised.  But using Sea Pass card was so easy, and you need it to exit and return to ship in ports, so no real reason to purchase unless you think it's cool to wear a watch band.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Until “roaming” bar servers have RFID readers, the constant on and off with the WOW bands made it a “one and done” for us. 

Agree!

23 hours ago, jalves said:

The WOW Bands don't do anything that the room key doesn't do already.  Not worth it.

AND you still need the room key to leave the ship and board again while in Ports of Call.  

• Like 1

Love the WOW bands. I never wait for a server to bring a drink except the dining room and that’s if I don’t bring it with me. Much more convenient to tap for drinks and store purchases. After a day or two most bars put the tap box out so you don’t really need to take it off.

We removed the old muster station on ours and then got them reprogrammed for the current sailing.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Neeny12 said:

Love the WOW bands. I never wait for a server to bring a drink except the dining room and that’s if I don’t bring it with me. Much more convenient to tap for drinks and store purchases. After a day or two most bars put the tap box out so you don’t really need to take it off.

We removed the old muster station on ours and then got them reprogrammed for the current sailing.

I have NEVER seen a bar with a "tap box"

42 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

I have NEVER seen a bar with a "tap box"

It’s a little white box that I have seen at most bars. We’re on Harmony and they have them, but the dining room doesn’t have it out. By day 2 most of the other bars put it on the bar top to use once they make your drink. I didn’t see it at Boleros but in that case we just gave them our room # and they could see our drink package.

1 hour ago, Neeny12 said:

It’s a little white box that I have seen at most bars. We’re on Harmony and they have them, but the dining room doesn’t have it out. By day 2 most of the other bars put it on the bar top to use once they make your drink. I didn’t see it at Boleros but in that case we just gave them our room # and they could see our drink package.

Interesting, thanks 

I've been re using the same WOW band for many years. I love it. No other way for me.  I don't care if I need to take it off sometimes for a server, what I care about is that I don't have to carry a card around all the time.  Wearable payment/drink pkg+room key? Yes please.  I love it.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ThePNVT said:

I've been re using the same WOW band for many years. I love it. No other way for me.  I don't care if I need to take it off sometimes for a server, what I care about is that I don't have to carry a card around all the time.  Wearable payment/drink pkg+room key? Yes please.  I love it.  

I thought the new ones were slightly a different codec and the old ones wouldn't work on new readers/tap boxes.  @ThePNVT have you sailed since the restart on WOW bands?

We had them once, at their initial roll-out, and didn't use them.  Had to take them off every time you used them at a bar.  Easier to just pull the card out of a pocket or lanyard.  

Having said that, on our cruise in January on the Harmony, if they have 'em, we'd probably use them on Sea Days.  That's if they have the tap box at the bars, et al.  I can't see taking them off and on all day/night long.  

I can see a big benefit to using them for those that use the pool(s) a lot (we don't) and have no pockets in their swimwear.