Celebrity cancelled my Alaska cruise!

JayBird7

17 minutes ago, JayBird7 said:

Sorry for being a novice.  I bought into the cruise/cruisetour as a single package - price, excursions, packaging and flights.  It was all Celebrity.  All payments to Celebrity.  Cancellation by Celebrity.  If you want to parse out the cruise and cruisetour, so be it.  The stain and pain persists.  Comment all you want but I am trying to put this behind me but I will continue to cast all blame on Celebrity.

You can continue to blame X, but, IMO it's a waste of energy. 😉

This same scenario could have applied to any cruise tour “package" sold by any cruise line.

As far as “Flights by Celebrity” go, X has no control over scheduling, cancellations, etc., as these are regularly scheduled flights that anyone can book, X just has negotiated airfares with certain carriers.

Personally I would have my TA working on a replacement trip.

Wishing you the best of luck.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Your headline is incorrect. It's not your cruise that is cancelled, but the land portion of a cruise tour. That added to everyone's confusion. 

Royal Caribbean, which owns Celebrity, did this recently and here is a related article: https://www.cruisehive.com/royal-caribbean-oversells-alaska-cruisetour/97239

Those guests were offered alternative land tours and a $400 OBC. Since you booked your flights through Celebrity, I imagine they will refund you the difference if you change your flight and simply do the cruise, or cancel your cruise altogether. 

Edited by njsmom
  • Like 3

One small note, Royal Caribbean does not own Celebrity per se.

The overarching company is called Royal Caribbean group.

It owns Celebrity, royal Caribbean cruise line, Silverseas and other interests.

It is confusing, but worth noting especially as we are trying to be helpful to the OP who seems to be a “Fish out of water” so to speak

21 hours ago, JayBird7 said:

Sorry for being a novice.  I bought into the cruise/cruisetour as a single package - price, excursions, packaging and flights.  It was all Celebrity.  All payments to Celebrity.  Cancellation by Celebrity.  If you want to parse out the cruise and cruisetour, so be it.  The stain and pain persists.  Comment all you want but I am trying to put this behind me but I will continue to cast all blame on Celebrity.

No problem.  People here for the most part try to understand the situation and offer advice or have had a similar experience.  It is OK to vent at Celebrity or anybody that you want.  Lots of venting on these boards too!  Hopefully you will be happily cruising in Alaska and elsewhere in the future.  Come back and let us know.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, JayBird7 said:

@JayBird7 Someone else posted about a cruisetour cancellation on this forum. You should search for it, but it sounds like only the land portion was cancelled due to a lack of local vendors available. Did they offer you a partial refund so you can do the land portion on your own? The cruise is still going, so you really don't have to scrap your vacation altogether if you can be flexible about the land portion. Good luck!

On 4/16/2023 at 6:53 PM, bEwAbG said:

If your TA cannot suggest alternatives, time for you to get a new TA.  Celebrity usually offers to move people to other cruises at the same price, too.  Something doesn't sound right.  When is this cruise supposed to sail?

So, is this a TA fault? - it's so funny!!!  I would "force" the cruise line to reinstall a cruise if it mistakenly cancelled that cruise.

Hmmmm.  The OP feels they did not purchase a cruise with a separate land tour but the two as one package that could not be separated.  Then angry because he did not understand the FBC is completely separate again.

I think we all agree that there are some dozen cruise companies the go to Alaska beside Celebrity.  At least two at exactly the same time frame.  The OP simply said the alternate dates were not acceptable and was refunded his $$.

The OP made the choice not to do a land tour on his own, book an almost identical land tour and cruise with another operator and maintains his anger and frustration. 

Sad the title is incorrect.

• Like 1

On 4/17/2023 at 8:14 AM, cruisestitch said:

It seems to me that you should be directing some of your anger away from Celebrity and toward your travel agent who is not handling this well for you. First of all, the agent should have searched for good alternatives for you, and there are plenty out there. Secondly, if there were no acceptable substitutions for the land portion, the travel agent should be the one advocating with Celebrity to have you getting the correct refunds and/or assistance with bookings, flights by Celebrity, etc.  

If one of Celebrity’s vendors, in this case whoever is operating the land portion of the cruisetour, oversold, the cruise portion would still remain intact.  It should not have been difficult to find an option for the days you would be on land so you could continue to enjoy the cruise.  Again, the travel agent hasn’t stepped up.

Welcome to calling the Celebrity call center and using them as a TA vs. having a real travel agent.

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 2