Any one on Arcadia now

cruzadict

Photo of ‘glass house’. Looks so dated and tired.  Friend onboard had severe gastroenteritis and confined to cabin for first days of cruise.  Obviously an ongoing problem.  Even with great price deals we won’t be sailing this ship or P&O for the foreseeable future. 

1 hour ago, seapals2 said:

Photo of ‘glass house’. Looks so dated and tired.  Friend onboard had severe gastroenteritis and confined to cabin for first days of cruise.  Obviously an ongoing problem.  Even with great price deals we won’t be sailing this ship or P&O for the foreseeable future. 

Did your friend catch the stomach bug onboard?

3 hours ago, seapals2 said:

Not dated or tired! Back into a bar at night. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, davecttr said:

Bug appeared second day so obviously brought on board.  Unfortunately Noro is on most ships nowadays as well as many hotels.  Seems to have taken over from  covid! If only people had better hygiene habits!! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Fionboard said:

Bug appeared second day so obviously brought on board.  Unfortunately Noro is on most ships nowadays as well as many hotels.  Seems to have taken over from  covid! If only people had better hygiene habits!! 

and schools and hospitals.  That person could have caught it on embarcation day if it appeared on Day 2.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Fionboard said:

We try not to eat things without cutlery. We wash our hands as we enter the buffet and also use our hand gel when we have served ourselves because others will have used tongs etc and may not have disinfected their hands on entering to eat. We also use our knuckle rather then finger tips to push the lift button😉 I’m tempting fate but on our many cruises we have not had any tummy problems, so far!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fionboard said:

Not diagnosed as noro .. no diarrhoea.. just severe vomiting and stomach cramps. Classic food poisoning.  She got onboard fit and well.  

3 hours ago, davecttr said:

Don’t think it’s a bug .. she had severe vomiting but no diarrhoea.  She was confined anyway. 
There had been cases on the previous sailing. We know it’s always a risk factor but does seem to be more prevalent on recent sailings. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fionboard said:

Exactly! 

Or she had something to eat that caused her to be sick.  If we get sick at home we look at what we have eaten in the previous 4/5 hours .. we don’t assume we’ve caught a virus. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, seapals2 said:

Looks nothing like the glass house on recent ships.  Our opinions differ .. 

That's because it is not a Glass House. They are attempting to add some dining variety to a 18 year old ship that needs an extensive upgrade to its dining options. There are mid sized ships older than Arcadia with more dining options after an extensive and expensive mid life update. I think she is due an extensive refit?

• Like 5

On 5/21/2023 at 9:09 AM, Fionboard said:

As I said, it is a "pop up",  not permanent fixture, that is why.

Exactly. And it's referred to as The Glass House by staff & on the Horizon newspaper. We certainly didn't find it tired or dated.

• Like 1

I am on Arcadia now and oh dear how things have changed from when I first cruised with them almost 20 years ago. They were always my cruise line of choice I have also cruised princess, Cunard and celebrity 20+ cruises in total. I last was on Arcadia in 2014 usually choosing a cruise by destination but  I would never ever come on here again and am doubtful if I will come back on p&o. I came down with this sickness in the early hours of the 3rd sea day never having been ill on a ship before. I am fastidious in cleanliness, always anti bacterial wipe the cabin on arrival, avoid the buffet, use paper towels to open the toilet doors and excessively gel. I feel rather than a virus it has been a poisoning. We are on C deck and almost every other cabin had medical centre letters in post trays and room service meals delivered due to confinement. I was confined for 24 hours my husband unusually was fine and he is the one more likely to pick things up. Almost everyone you speak to has had some form of sickness. The Dining room service on freedom dining is terrible which is down to short staff and lack of training. You have to Be prepared for very very long waits and things missing. You don’t even get offered coffee now, but the presentation and variation of food is not bad. We are however determined to make the best of our holiday, the ship is not in bad shape our cabin has new carpets and sofa and there are other signs of new furniture around various venues. The pop up glass house is very nice. We are on our second day in Barcelona as the captain has cancelled villafranche due to not wanting people in close contact in tenders. In summary, poisoning aside, you now get what you pay for with p&o, if you want the more classic cruise experience you need to pay more to other cruise lines. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

25 minutes ago, charlie7 said:

Almost everyone you speak to has had some form of sickness. The Dining room service on freedom dining is terrible which is down to short staff and lack of training. You have to Be prepared for very very long waits and things missing.

There could lie your tummy upset ,cabin stewards etc helping out without full training 

and food sat /delayed before served up .Others have reported food not served at correct temperatures. Hope the rest of your holiday is a happy one.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, charlie7 said:

I am on Arcadia now and oh dear how things have changed from when I first cruised with them almost 20 years ago. They were always my cruise line of choice I have also cruised princess, Cunard and celebrity 20+ cruises in total. I last was on Arcadia in 2014 usually choosing a cruise by destination but  I would never ever come on here again and am doubtful if I will come back on p&o. I came down with this sickness in the early hours of the 3rd sea day never having been ill on a ship before. I am fastidious in cleanliness, always anti bacterial wipe the cabin on arrival, avoid the buffet, use paper towels to open the toilet doors and excessively gel. I feel rather than a virus it has been a poisoning. We are on C deck and almost every other cabin had medical centre letters in post trays and room service meals delivered due to confinement. I was confined for 24 hours my husband unusually was fine and he is the one more likely to pick things up. Almost everyone you speak to has had some form of sickness. The Dining room service on freedom dining is terrible which is down to short staff and lack of training. You have to Be prepared for very very long waits and things missing. You don’t even get offered coffee now, but the presentation and variation of food is not bad. We are however determined to make the best of our holiday, the ship is not in bad shape our cabin has new carpets and sofa and there are other signs of new furniture around various venues. The pop up glass house is very nice. We are on our second day in Barcelona as the captain has cancelled villafranche due to not wanting people in close contact in tenders. In summary, poisoning aside, you now get what you pay for with p&o, if you want the more classic cruise experience you need to pay more to other cruise lines. 

Oh dear that doesn’t sound good at all, hope you are fully recovered and can maybe try to enjoy the rest of your cruise,we are due on the Arcadia on the 6th June and can honestly say after reading all the bad reviews I’m really not looking forward to it at all only option available now would be to cancel 😨

2 hours ago, charlie7 said:

We were certainly offered coffee after every dinner in the MDR 2 weeks ago.

Just to show it is a game of two halves,we are also on Arcadia right now,just birthed in Genoa,we too are on C deck,sorry some are not having a great cruise but it is quite the opposite for us.

The food has been great,the entertainment good to brilliant(the 4 Harps were superb but sadly left the ship in Valencia),love the ship & would really like to get back on her.

The buffet is packed for breakfast(people don't want to get up early for the MDR! ) & lunch,having the crew serve can be a bit of a pain as some are not keen or cut out for it!

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, snaefell said:

The buffet is packed for breakfast (people don't want to get up early for the MDR! )

Pleased to hear that you are having a great time. I’ve always felt that the last entry time for breakfast in the MDR is too early. We are on holiday, after all! When we were on Cunard recently I noticed that the last entry was 0930 regardless of whether it was a sea day or port day. Are P&O still persisting with 9am last entry on port days?

On 5/20/2023 at 9:42 AM, seapals2 said:

Photo of ‘glass house’. Looks so dated and tired...

It's interesting how we all perceive interior decor and style so differently. I think it looks fine. Before going back on Aurora last summer, I saw some posts saying how tired and tatty she looked and I thought she was actually in great condition.

Personally, I'd rather have a 'classic' style that is good quality than an 'on-trend' look that actually will look dated in 5 years when trends have moved on...

• Like 6