2 Americans on the Iona, Norwegian Fjords, April 29th

Grumpella

3 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Ugh! There are few things better than a properly, freshly cooked omelette. I have never managed to find one better than my wife’s though.  

[Other wives and partners are available of course…….]

Absolutely right Harry. The ones in the Aurora Horizon last summer were disgusting...

• Like 1

Olden was cold and raining the whole time.  I would suggest that if u want to book a tour here with a local company, book before you get off. There was a very long line to buy tickets for the local tour company, and that was when we got off at 9 am.

We walked to town, and bought some sodas and beers at the grocery store. We came back at 10:30 and there was still a long line for the tour company. We walked across the street to the shop and bought some tshirts. We then spent the rest of the afternoon in the pub, the white house next to the cruise terminal. My husband’s favorite day so far!! Lol

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Can only agree with our US friends. Breakfast is a big thing on Celebrity, RC and Princess.  Sadly P&O are a long way off competing in my experience although the eggs can be very good!

I really like the breakfast on P&O!  I like the fact that they serve 'proper' tea, that there are classy pots of Bon Maman jam and most of all, that toast comes in a toast rack and is therefore not soggy, unlike on US lines. And I've found P&O's eggs Benedict to be excellent. 

Like you, I am not a fan of Apex (sailed on her January last year) and so we are sailing on Silly back to FLL in October and then next April, we are returning with her to Amsterdam 😪 (we are not staying in Florida all that time though!). We especially value our Elites breakfast in Tuscan Grille on the S class ships.

I do hope that the OP is finding more things to like on Iona.  For me, like with Apex, it was a 'one time and done' ship, even though I know others really like it.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, mrsgoggins said:

ey serve 'proper' tea, that there are classy pots of Bon Maman jam

My last two Britannia cruises no pots of jam, a spoonful in a pot and most certainly not Bon Maman or Wilkins.  The eggs are my favourite breakfast item on P&O ships though.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, mrsgoggins said:

I really like the breakfast on P&O!  I like the fact that they serve 'proper' tea, that there are classy pots of Bon Maman jam and most of all, that toast comes in a toast rack and is therefore not soggy, unlike on US lines. And I've found P&O's eggs Benedict to be excellent. 

Like you, I am not a fan of Apex (sailed on her January last year) and so we are sailing on Silly back to FLL in October and then next April, we are returning with her to Amsterdam 😪 (we are not staying in Florida all that time though!). We especially value our Elites breakfast in Tuscan Grille on the S class ships.

I do hope that the OP is finding more things to like on Iona.  For me, like with Apex, it was a 'one time and done' ship, even though I know others really like it.

My go to breakfast in the MDR has now become the smashed avocado with smoked salmon and scrambled egg.  Lovely 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

My last two Britannia cruises no pots of jam, a spoonful in a pot and most certainly not Bon Maman or Wilkins.  The eggs are my favourite breakfast item on P&O ships though.

I've always thought P&O Eggs Benedict are pretty awful...

Alesund is cold and raining. Lol  3rd day of rain. Finally stopped raining at noon.

i would suggest if you are climbing the stairs, do first thing in the morning. We looked up at 10:30 and the stairs are at a standstill, packed with people.  There is an Aida ship here as well, so i’m sure this is adding to the crowds.

The hop on, hop off bus is also packed. We saw some stops where not everyone could get on the bus.

There is not much to do walking around town, very limited in the number of stores, pubs, etc..

We talked to several people who just walked around for a few hours and then went back to the ship.

On another note, I cancelled a shore excursion the other day and then received an email that my credit card was expired and wouldnt accept the refund. Which is not true. After talking to shore experiences staff, there are alot of customers that received this email due to a glitch. They told me to call after my cruise. I told them to figure it out, I’m not paying to call from America to get this fixed because of their “glitch”. So wait and see, but 208 pounds. Lol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Grumpella said:

Alesund is cold and raining. Lol  3rd day of rain. Finally stopped raining at noon.

i would suggest if you are climbing the stairs, do first thing in the morning. We looked up at 10:30 and the stairs are at a standstill, packed with people.  There is an Aida ship here as well, so i’m sure this is adding to the crowds.

The hop on, hop off bus is also packed. We saw some stops where not everyone could get on the bus.

There is not much to do walking around town, very limited in the number of stores, pubs, etc..

We talked to several people who just walked around for a few hours and then went back to the ship.

On another note, I cancelled a shore excursion the other day and then received an email that my credit card was expired and wouldnt accept the refund. Which is not true. After talking to shore experiences staff, there are alot of customers that received this email due to a glitch. They told me to call after my cruise. I told them to figure it out, I’m not paying to call from America to get this fixed because of their “glitch”. So wait and see, but 208 pounds. Lol

There is (or at least was) an amazing Art Deco museum right in the centre of Alesund not far from the docks. If you are still in port and have time it is well worth a visit.

Re the excursion refund I agree you should get this before you leave the ship. If you have spent enough onboard could they not refund as OBC to offset your account or something of the sort. It will be much more difficult to resolve once you are home and as you say their glitch is not your issue.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Grumpella said:

If the P&O system thinks your card has expired, maybe they wont be able to charge you for your on board spend, that could save you a few pounds.

Edited by terrierjohn
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Grumpella said:

Oh dear, miserable cold weather does not, in my book, go hand in hand with feeling good about a destination. We did a Fjords cruise last year (not with P&O) and loved it so much that we are repeating the experience with friends who have never cruised before, but we had fine weather.

I hope they get the ‘glitch’ sorted out for you soon.  On my first ever P&O cruise some years ago, after returning home we discovered that my husband had been charged for items from the ship’s spa. Once we had stopped laughing (he being a man whose personal hygiene routine is accomplished with help from a discount supermarket’s own brand shampoo, soap, toothpaste and deodorant; the cheaper the better!) it took me a few phone calls to get them to accept that he had never been anywhere near the spa, let alone made expensive purchases. Hopefully as you are not the only ones to experience this, they can sort it quickly for you 🤞

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, mrsgoggins said:

Oh dear, miserable cold weather does not, in my book, go hand in hand with feeling good about a destination. We did a Fjords cruise last year (not with P&O) and loved it so much that we are repeating the experience with friends who have never cruised before, but we had fine weather.

I hope they get the ‘glitch’ sorted out for you soon.  On my first ever P&O cruise some years ago, after returning home we discovered that my husband had been charged for items from the ship’s spa. Once we had stopped laughing (he being a man whose personal hygiene routine is accomplished with help from a discount supermarket’s own brand shampoo, soap, toothpaste and deodorant; the cheaper the better!) it took me a few phone calls to get them to accept that he had never been anywhere near the spa, let alone made expensive purchases. Hopefully as you are not the only ones to experience this, they can sort it quickly for you 🤞

Which reminds me of the time we were awake most of the night looking after our two poorly children in a certain Blackpool hotel once noted for accommodating a certain Mrs Thatcher at party conference time. In the morning, after a really awful night, we were presented with our account, which included several pounds for access to their ‘adult’ movie channel. 

It wasn’t so much the error that hacked us off - but actually arguing about it!  Chance would have been a fine thing!  🙂

• Haha 3

58 minutes ago, mrsgoggins said:

My mother has just returned from Britannia and had a noticed on the last day that her final statement showed a charge for a spa treatment. She went and queried it at reception and was referred to the spa to sort it out, they gave her a credit and she is now waiting to see if it goes through to her credit card.

• Like 1

Haugesund was sunny today, no rain!!!  We took our first shore excursion, Scenic Skudeneshavn. They were very organized with the shore excursions, directing us to which buses. There were 2 buses going on this tour. As soon as our bus was full, we left port. The museum was boring but the scenery was beautiful. We drove through the town on our way to our excursion. There is not much to do in this town, I suggest you book an excursion.

We ate at the American Dinner in the Quays when we returned, it was very good. 

As for my credit for our cancelled shore excursion, I was told I would receive it in 14 days. They didn’t offer, but I certainly didn’t want, any more OBC. We started the cruise with 240 and still have over 100 left. We are going down to buy some liquor after dinner to bring home.

We were also informed in the Horizon that we had to call or stop by Reception by today (Thursday) to tell them what time we wanted to disembark and if we were bringing our own bags. As we are bringing our own bags off, we were offered 7:30 or 8:30.  Supposedly by registering for times, it doesnt back up leaving the ship. Let’s see how that goes. Lol

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Guest ldtr
On 5/1/2023 at 9:33 AM, Britboys said:

I'm pretty sure Princess were doing that in the buffet in 2019 but that was my Alaska cruise so don't know if it's something they do on ex-southampton cruises...

Yes, they do. Currently on Regal Princess out of Southampton.

Will be on Iona in October. Interested in disembarkation experience in Southampton. Trying to determine the time to schedule car pickup for thst cruise. If their process is as quick as other lines in that port.

Guest ldtr
16 hours ago, Grumpella said:

Haugesund was sunny today, no rain!!!  We took our first shore excursion, Scenic Skudeneshavn. They were very organized with the shore excursions, directing us to which buses. There were 2 buses going on this tour. As soon as our bus was full, we left port. The museum was boring but the scenery was beautiful. We drove through the town on our way to our excursion. There is not much to do in this town, I suggest you book an excursion.

We ate at the American Dinner in the Quays when we returned, it was very good. 

As for my credit for our cancelled shore excursion, I was told I would receive it in 14 days. They didn’t offer, but I certainly didn’t want, any more OBC. We started the cruise with 240 and still have over 100 left. We are going down to buy some liquor after dinner to bring home.

We were also informed in the Horizon that we had to call or stop by Reception by today (Thursday) to tell them what time we wanted to disembark and if we were bringing our own bags. As we are bringing our own bags off, we were offered 7:30 or 8:30.  Supposedly by registering for times, it doesnt back up leaving the ship. Let’s see how that goes. Lol

Do you know what the times are for those not carrying their bags off?

Between 7:30 and 8:30 disembarkation for those carrying your bags off. 

Starts at 8:30 for the rest. You are supposed to register with reception by Weds night for the time you select.

We were given a paper with our names and the time we selected on Thurs..

Entertainment:

Saturday:

Sky’s The Limit at 8:30 and 10:30 

Sunday: 

Sky’s The Limit at 6:45, 8:30 and 10:30

She  7:30, 9:00 and 10:30

Comedian Rory O’Hanlon 8:00, 9:30 and 11:00

Monday:

The Privateers 6:45, 8:30 and 10:30

TRIBOO 7:30, 9:00 and 10:30

Pulse 8:00, 9:30 and 11:00

Tuesday:

Vocalist Jayson Keeler 6:45, 8:30 and 10:30

I Believe In A Thing Called Rock 7:30, 9:00 and 10:30

Comedian Rory O’Hanlon 8:00, 9:30 and 10:45

Wednesday:

Festival 6:45, 8:30 and 10:30

TRIBOO 7:30, 9:00 and 10:30

Pulse 8:00, 9:30 and 11:00

Thursday:

Festival 8:30 and 10:30

She 7:30, 9:00 and 10:30

Pulse  8:00; 9:30 and 11:00

Friday:

Vocalist Jayson Keeler 8:00, 9:30 and 11:00

Rise 7:30, 9:00 and 10:30

The Privateers 6:45, 8:30 and 10:30

My thoughts:

Excellent:

Iona is very clean, beautiful ship. It never felt crowded, even though there were 5,238 on board.

Debarkation was very smooth, off the ship in 20 min.  The registration for debarkation times seemed to work very well.

Luggage dropped off at the pier by cabin floor which allowed for fast delivery of the luggage.

The Quays had excellent fish and chips and burger and fries.  Good selection of dessert also.

Deluxe Balcony cabin was very big (for a cruise ship lol) with a good size balcony and very large sofa.

Elevators were plentiful with hardly any wait times (I do think it helped that we were Aft).

Queue for restaurants on the App is great.

Being allowed to bring on water and soft drinks (we have never been allowed this on previous cruise lines).

Not bothering you for photos at every port and every restaurant, like on other cruise lines.

Very Good:

Drink prices were good.  Also loved not having to pay 20 % gratuity on every drink like on other cruise lines.

Room steward.

Room service was fast.  Only ordered food once, I hate paying for room service.  Beer was delivered several times.

Good:

Embarkation was good.  We had a 3:15 time and arrived at 2:30 and were on the ship in 30 minutes.

However, there was over 100 people in the "holding pen" at this time and the charter buses were arriving, adding to more people in the lines.

We arrived at 11:30 to drop off our bags and asked about getting in line then, as only 30 people in the "holding pen".  They said they were being very strict.  I think this was shortsighted, as there was the backup later.  It should have been decided based on the number of people at the time.

I think it is a mistake to not offer people a check in time.  Alot of people who were given earlier times don't arrive at that time.  Also, we arrived the previous day, obviously, and I think it would have been smarter to give us an earlier time. On previous cruises, the people who come in the day before are given the earlier times since others traveling that day will be coming in later.

Pizza.

Pretty Good:

Buffet food.

OK:

Food at the MDR was OK.  We never had anything that was good or bad, just OK.  We stopped eating there the last few nights and just did the Quays or buffet.

Entertainment was OK, only saw The Sky's the Limit, but didn't want to see anything else after that.

Poor:

Bar service was very slow.  It took at least 20 minutes to get a drink.  And forget about getting any service by the pools or saunas.  We bought a bottle opener at the port and ordered beer bottles through Room Service.

MDR-slow service, no refills, the "walking dead".

TV had to be "fixed" 3 times.

It is very difficult to book P and O cruise for an American.  We had to use a certified travel agent and we don't get to see the prices, categories, etc..

Keel and Cow service was very slow, they told us everything was cooked to order and would be 45 minutes.  It was 45 minutes.  It doesn't take 45 minutes to cook a steak.  Never checked on us. No water refills.  Never went back.

No free ice cream machines.

Would we do P and O again?

Probably not, unless there was a very good deal.  We like food and we don't think you should have to pay extra for food on a cruise.

We will however cruise out of Southampton again.

• Like 14

3 hours ago, Grumpella said:

Good:

Embarkation was good.  We had a 3:15 time and arrived at 2:30 and were on the ship in 30 minutes.

However, there was over 100 people in the "holding pen" at this time and the charter buses were arriving, adding to more people in the lines.

We arrived at 11:30 to drop off our bags and asked about getting in line then, as only 30 people in the "holding pen".  They said they were being very strict.  I think this was shortsighted, as there was the backup later.  It should have been decided based on the number of people at the time.

I think it is a mistake to not offer people a check in time.  Alot of people who were given earlier times don't arrive at that time.  Also, we arrived the previous day, obviously, and I think it would have been smarter to give us an earlier time. On previous cruises, the people who come in the day before are given the earlier times since others traveling that day will be coming in later.

I agree about embarkation. I do like the way Princess do it. You can select a time that suits you and they do know if passengers are coming by coach to give them a boarding time that tallies with the eta of the coach. It was pretty seamless on the occasions we sailed with Princess. I also like MSC as you can board from 10 am and stay on board until noon on disemarkation day. I was on Virtuosa recently and there was no problem getting 5000+ people on board. P&O could implement the same system if they wanted to.

• Like 1

On 5/10/2023 at 2:31 PM, Grumpella said:

Would we do P and O again?

Probably not, unless there was a very good deal.  We like food and we don't think you should have to pay extra for food on a cruise.

Interesting comment, as we thought that up selling for food etc originated from your side of the Atlantic. 

• Like 3