USB Ports by the bed on Oasis

26 minutes ago, HappyTexan44 said:

USB Ports can be easily hacked, so best to avoid them anyway.  

yes you do need to be careful. usb power is nice to for things that need just power like charging a regular camera or powering a fan

16 hours ago, PartyLikeIts1990 said:

Does the Oasis have USB ports by the bed? 

From a cybersecurity perspective, you should never use a public USB port for any smart device (phone, camera, tablet). That includes shopping malls, airports, hotels, and cruise ships. Always use an electric plug in an outlet. Using a public USB port is like clicking on that email that says "You have won a $100 Home Depot gift card" or the text message saying that "Your Netflix account has been disabled".  

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Using a public USB port is like clicking on that email that says "You have won a $100 Home Depot gift card" or the text message saying that "Your Netflix account has been disabled".  

LOL, or not!  I'm a big-time veteran of those emails, all day every day.  Doesn't matter how many times I put them in my junk folder or "block" them, they just keep on coming. They must have thousands of email addresses they use.  It's been going on for years.  That explains it though, we/I use the public USB ports at hotels (but I don't use their Wifi) and mostly Dr.'s offices and Hospitals.  I learned something here today.  I'm not going to use USB ports anymore, just a charging block that plugs into electric outlets.  

Thanks, folks!

Edited by Ret MP

24 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

From a cybersecurity perspective, you should never use a public USB port for any smart device (phone, camera, tablet). That includes shopping malls, airports, hotels, and cruise ships. Always use an electric plug in an outlet. Using a public USB port is like clicking on that email that says "You have won a $100 Home Depot gift card" or the text message saying that "Your Netflix account has been disabled".  

They are nice for wireless chargers.  That is what I use at hotels and what I used on our last cruise.  

1 hour ago, HappyTexan44 said:

USB Ports can be easily hacked, so best to avoid them anyway.  

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

From a cybersecurity perspective, you should never use a public USB port for any smart device (phone, camera, tablet).

I don't disagree that there is a risk using the USB ports, but, I would argue that on the cruise ship, the risk is relatively low.  In fact, I would argue there's a greater risk using the wireless.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Cigar King said:

I don't disagree that there is a risk using the USB ports, but, I would argue that on the cruise ship, the risk is relatively low.  In fact, I would argue there's a greater risk using the wireless.

Agree.  With a lot of things, I worry much less on a cruise.  With that said, a risk is a risk and it is easy to bring a charger.  

5 minutes ago, Cigar King said:

A cable with no data pin wired will mitigate it too...

(Cheap on Amazon)

Good info.  Never knew something like that existed.  Sure, would make things a little more convenient.

Edited by Ret MP

3 minutes ago, mykidsmom said:

ok - so just bring a power strip and plug our phones and ipad in that to charge? i think i have a 3 prong power strip plug

be careful, most 'power strips' are prohibited.  Nothing with any sort of surge protection either.  There will be tables filled with these things when you get off the ship that were confiscated at boarding/during luggage scans.  You can pick them up as you leave the ship.  You will also see a vast selection of irons, steamers, kettles and coffee makers.  

1 minute ago, rockmom said:

be careful, most 'power strips' are prohibited.  Nothing with any sort of surge protection either.  There will be tables filled with these things when you get off the ship that were confiscated at boarding/during luggage scans.  You can pick them up as you leave the ship.  You will also see a vast selection of irons, steamers, kettles and coffee makers.  

thanks for that info.  Kettles?!?! lmao

We use a converter charger that we bought to charge everything when we travel.  It can charge two devices plugged in and 4 more using the usb ports in it. So can our phones get hacked using this? I never knew this about usb charging

2 hours ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

We use a converter charger that we bought to charge everything when we travel.  It can charge two devices plugged in and 4 more using the usb ports in it. So can our phones get hacked using this? I never knew this about usb charging

Only when you plugging directly into some random USB outlet.  Like how people put skimmers onto a legit credit card reader.   People can attach something on the hidden side of the USB outlet to add malware and/or pull data.   Think of it as charging your device by plugging into a stranger's computer.  If your cable doesn't do data or there is something in the middle that doesn't do data, then you are fine.  

• Thanks 1

On 5/6/2023 at 1:57 PM, rockmom said:

Where the heck is that?

when we’re disembarking, I never think to look, but I’ve never noticed a table on any ship. 

On 4/30/2023 at 7:39 AM, topnole said:

They are nice for wireless chargers.  That is what I use at hotels and what I used on our last cruise.  

I bring an Anker wireless charger power bank (i.e. a battery with a built in wireless charger). Charge it during the day and put it on the nightstand at night so my phone can charge from it and be handy.