Thoughts on the criticisms of MSC

KennyFla

9 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

MSC is an international shipping company first and a passenger cruise ship company second. As such they didn’t bleed money like the other lines because they had their shipping component to fall back on.  This is also the reason MSC is able to undercut the competition when it comes to pricing (although prices are creeping up).  

MSC cruises may have a financially stable parent, but they have to support themselves like every other company.  I agree that they were able to weather the storm better than cruise only companies, but they had to adjust their expenses as best they could during the slowdown.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KennyFla said:

…but they had to adjust their expenses as best they could during the slowdown.  

Same is true for all of us, I suppose. And I agree, I was just referring to an advantage MSC had over other lines. Not implying they didn’t have to make up for lost revenue. Another thing I learned (to that end) is that MSC has not had to rely on outside supply chains for much of their consumable needs as a result of their “parent” company cargo ships that were/are used to restock the ships. Obviously, some supplies are locally sourced but I thought this was interesting. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, mvh said:

This would not happen to a true experienced MSC cruiser like myself. I always stop at McDonald's on the way to the port to stock up on condiments just in case a SERIOUS ISSUE like lack of ketsup(ketchup) arises.

And don't forget a pound of butter, a loaf of sliced white bread, and optional toaster. Otherwise we might be doomed to eating fresh Italian rolls and bread, croissants, Danish, breakfast pizzas, or sticky buns for breakfast.

('m sorry, this was mean.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

And don't forget a pound of butter, a loaf of sliced white bread, and optional toaster. Otherwise we might be doomed to eating fresh Italian rolls and bread, croissants, Danish, breakfast pizzas, or sticky buns for breakfast.

LOL! My husband might seriously do this on our next MSC sailing! His struggle for toast was real!

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

And when you get on board try to change something, like your dining time or room assignment.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

We did, it was easy.

Yep, same here. Just don't talk to the like they owe you something and they will try to help you and usually do. 

• Like 3

On 5/2/2023 at 11:51 AM, shipgeeks said:

Ketsup being hard to come by is a really serious issue??  Somebody needs to go back to RoyalNorwegianCarnival.

On Divina…I actually overheard a man say his cruise was ruined.  He didn’t like the oatmeal they served at breakfast!  YIKES!

• Like 1

I've only done two MSC cruises so far but have a further three booked this year.

After booking I must admit I read through some of the comments on FB and thought I'd made the biggest mistake of my life. 

Once onboard all my concerns vanished in seconds. The ships are beautiful the food is plentiful and tasty and the drinks were great.

I read some comments about other people's experiences and I seriously wonder if they were even on the same ship as me. I'm not posh, but I do eat in good restaurants and enjoy nice things and I've never had a bad meal with MSC. I've enjoyed it all. It really makes me puzzled as to what people are expecting.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

On Divina…I actually overheard a man say his cruise was ruined.  He didn’t like the oatmeal they served at breakfast!  YIKES!

Sometimes I wonder what these people do if they travel to Europe/South America/Asia....and don't get ketchup/oatmeal/toast.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shipgeeks said:

Sometimes I wonder what these people do if they travel to Europe/South America/Asia....and don't get ketchup/oatmeal/toast.

I haven't been to Asia, but I've never had trouble finding ketchup or toast in either Europe or South America.

1 hour ago, shipgeeks said:

I've known people to pack ketchup when heading to all-inclusives down south.  They do have ketchup there but it apparently isn't as good.  So they bring their own.  

• Haha 1

On 5/3/2023 at 10:36 AM, shipgeeks said:

MSC does have great Sticky Buns!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JamieLogical said:

When was your friend on the Meraviglia? I was on the last two sailings 4/9 and 4/22 and didn't experience anything like that. I seriously had multiple occasions when I didn't even have my butt in the chair yet as I went to sit at a bar or a lounge and someone was already there to take my drink order...

My bad. He was on the Seaside.

my apologies.

13 hours ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

My bad. He was on the Seaside.

my apologies.

Oh dear, Seaside is having some "issues." See the post entitled "Well this is disconcerting." (Although hopefully those issues have been resolved)

On 5/4/2023 at 10:07 AM, skittl1321 said:

I haven't been to Asia, but I've never had trouble finding ketchup or toast in either Europe or South America.

Of course not. The second they recognize you're American they bring a bottle of catsup for you.

Many of the comments I've read, but not all, seem to have some or a lot of validity.  I think it's great to share those concerns.

That said, the ratings on MSC are way too harsh, in my view.  While I've had more than my share of issues w/MSC, every review I've written has been 4 or 5 stars and I've always had a nice time.

Doesn't mean there isn't room for improvement, especially shoreside, but I'm not going to rip them in terms of the ratings just because something didn't go our way.  I've never not had a good cruise overall on MSC, or any cruise line for that matter.

• Like 2