Thoughts on the criticisms of MSC

KennyFla

1 minute ago, alyssamma said:

Interesting...I took that at face value...saying that because of CC you can read these posts and become educated about cruising. Now I see it might have been sarcastic...

Could be my mistake as well. If so I certainly apologize for the snarky remark. 🙂

2 minutes ago, alyssamma said:

Now you're talking my language...but wrong forum unfortunately 🙂

We recently let our AP lapse and are giving it a break for a bit. I still read all news, follow all blogs, it's still fun even if I know I probably won't return "home" for a little while. 

4 minutes ago, alyssamma said:

This is a great attitude to have. I'll be honest, slow bar service pisses me off and it's hard for me to not get upset about it. However, I *try* to think the way you said and remind myself of where I am and how lucky I am to be able to be there. It's a work in progress for me 🙂

I've become much more Stoic as I have gotten older. I actually read a random reading from Meditations every single day. Keeps you humble I think...

The inconvenient truth for us all is that we cannot control most of what happens around us, but we can control how we react to it and how we let it affect us. I try my best to always approach things with a grateful attitude and let most things run off like water on a ducks back. Why should we allow anyone else to have the level of power over us to "ruin our day"? That's in YOUR control...Not theirs. It takes time, work and patience, and admittedly I still struggle when I am in traffic, but it gets easier and life is so much better when I keep things in perspective.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

100% agree with this, and 100% know my wife and I are exactly the kind of Americans who appreciate the MSC difference. We've sailed MSC twice in the Caribbean, NCL, RCL, and Carnival in the Caribbean as well. We liked them all, but MSC provides a European experience which we appreciate very much. I still say life would be boring if every single cruise line offered the exact same experience onboard. Even sailing from Miami, MSC still had a mostly European passenger profile. Fine by us! 🙂

Been on MSC twice in the Caribbean and once in the Mediterranean. Honestly, in my opinion they are more the same as the big 3 than they are different, but if I hear one more person say the portions on an all you can eat cruise are too small I will go crazy. I mean seriously, that is on a list of your complaints? I personally think that is one of the biggest positives on board.

Another aspect of this is: what do people do when things don't go right? Hopefully they don't just get mad and then fume about it when they get home. My wife and I recently came back from a cruise on Oceania. There was a survey card in our cabin about midway through. I was honest: there were some slipups and things we weren't happy with. The very next day after I dropped the card off in the comment box, I got a phone call from the beverage manager about an issue I'd raised. He personally sat with me in the lounge to touch base with me. Granted, Oceania is a bit more upscale, but my point is, don't expect management to make any changes if you don't say something. My fear is that some people will allow some problems to go unaddressed and then say "I shouldn't have to tell them." 100% of the time I have told a manager on a cruise ship about a problem, it got fixed the same day. Not ONCE was I ignored. In short, if you don't say anything, you can bet your bottom things won't improve.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

My fear is that some people will allow some problems to go unaddressed and then say "I shouldn't have to tell them." 100% of the time I have told a manager on a cruise ship about a problem, it got fixed the same day. Not ONCE was I ignored. In short, if you don't say anything, you can bet your bottom things won't improve.

This I 100% agree with.

I think where some people tend to stray is forgetting the phrase "You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar...."

It's perfectly acceptable to offer a suggestion, raise a concern, or even complaint. I think any good business should welcome that. That said, that is not the same thing as making a large public spectacle with shouting and disrespecting staff or treating others as if they are subservient in some way. That's just not productive or helpful in any way. It seems as if in our Post-Covid world this has become the norm. People shouting others down, making ridiculous demands, and often losing their minds for the smallest of things. I really don't understand it...

It does not take any more effort to be nice, respectful, and calm. The chances you get what you want, or your problem solved are far greater most of the time. And as much as some may not want to hear it, there are times when there just isn't anything that can be done for you and you have to accept it. Sorry, but that's just how the cookie crumble sometimes. Alternatively, for those on the other side, they have to accept that sometimes there's nothing you CAN do to make it right and satisfy that person. You have to accept that too and not try to take it personal.

I guess that's just a long way of saying that sometimes I think we can all do better....Even me 😀

• Like 2

5 hours ago, mvh said:

if I hear one more person say the portions on an all you can eat cruise are too small I will go crazy. I mean seriously, that is on a list of your complaints? I personally think that is one of the biggest positives on board.

I can't agree with this enough. I absolutely can't stand being wasteful when I can avoid it and I do not routinely eat 3 course meals at home. I don't need or want all of this food. I was recently on NCL and tried to order a half portion of an entree because the last time I'd ordered pasta I couldn't eat anything else because the portion size was so massive and I didn't want to be wasteful. Their answer? Just leave what you don't want. Why? I expect even minor changes are hard for the kitchen and I get that, but doesn't serving smaller portions and allowing those who want more to order it make more sense? This is an MSC feature to me, not a bug.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, bundtkate said:

I can't agree with this enough. I absolutely can't stand being wasteful when I can avoid it and I do not routinely eat 3 course meals at home. I don't need or want all of this food. I was recently on NCL and tried to order a half portion of an entree because the last time I'd ordered pasta I couldn't eat anything else because the portion size was so massive and I didn't want to be wasteful. Their answer? Just leave what you don't want. Why? I expect even minor changes are hard for the kitchen and I get that, but doesn't serving smaller portions and allowing those who want more to order it make more sense? This is an MSC feature to me, not a bug.

I agree as well. You can always order more if the portion is to small, but the cruise lines really do make it hard to order less! I love the "small" portions on MSC. I still couldn't finish a single one of my entrees, but I came a lot closer than I usually do on other cruise lines.

• Like 2

What a great thread  --no dress code- no beverage package question- no is there a laundry.

I think some people just look for problems and want to complain, we have done a lot of cruising at it is

the only vacation type for us. YC on MSC and if cost permits Sky suite on Celebrity.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bundtkate said:

I can't agree with this enough. I absolutely can't stand being wasteful when I can avoid it and I do not routinely eat 3 course meals at home. I don't need or want all of this food.

I agree as well, just imagine the food that is thrown out on a cruise ship.  You can't take it home like at a restaurant, which kind of justifies that you don't need giant servings on a cruise ship.  Maybe MSC could communicate better that it is OK to order more than one of each course, if that is what you want.  Maybe a hint from the servers.

Edited by KennyFla
  • Like 1

I enjoy the Portion control on a cruise especially for breakfast & lunches in the MDR.

If I go to the Buffet, I tend to pile my plate high, then I must eat it as I don't like to waste my food😀

• Like 1

We were on a 4/3 b2b out of PC on Mera last week of Feb into March. We were in YC and saw some things that are mostly just post covid cutbacks but only a few zonks which were quickly rectified by management. Oh and they need more staff. Who doesn’t. 

We spoke to 4 couples who were not in YC. All of them (new to MSC and veteran MSC) had stories of some really serious issues with lack of provisions in terms of alcohol and food on board. Like not small ones, ketsup was hard to come by. Drink lines were ridiculous and greater than 15 min throughout the ship and when you got there there was very very limited selections. On OC the same issues were prevalent. Food quality on board and on OC was an issue for all four couples as well. Cold, and just sub par. 

I’ve been reading very very closely the blogs and reports coming back from NY clients on here and there doesn’t seem to be any mention of these issues continuing which means they’ve gotten on the front side of them.  I followed @JamieLogical and she was on for a b2b and never once that I recall had or observed and reported any of the serious issues we heard about on board and witnessed. 

There is a new VP of North American Ops. The previous is no longer with the company, and I think there are some pretty significant changes afoot. 

please keep reporting as you cruise. Specifics and details are great that way we all can monitor and track how the real time product is coming along. I think it’s moving in the right direction. FL ports and operations may have some delay and Ive said this before, you’re going to get a different product on a 3/4 ni out of FL that a 7ni. It’s just not going to be the same quality. That isn’t just true for this cruise line. It’s just a reality. 

5 hours ago, KennyFla said:

I agree as well, just imagine the food that is thrown out on a cruise ship.  You can't take it home like at a restaurant, which kind of justifies that you don't need giant servings on a cruise ship.  Maybe MSC could communicate better that it is OK to order more than one of each course, if that is what you want.  Maybe a hint from the servers.

The food hall concept on Prima and with VV is the future and if Done right like with NCL Prima it’s a great alternative. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

I am so glad that I took the plunge and experienced MSC for myself. I just returned from 18 wonderful days on the Meraviglia and am very much looking forward to the three future cruises I now have booked with MSC. I highly recommend that people take the negative reviews with a grain of salt and go into MSC with an open mind and a positive attitude.

That was me too. I tried Divina out of Port Canaveral back in August. First timer and loved it. That's why I'm booked on Meraviglia in a couple weeks. I will be booking more too. Already got a Carnival Venezia booked for November and vacation days are dwindling for my hubby, but I really want to book another one, maybe next year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shipgeeks said:

Ketsup being hard to come by is a really serious issue??  Somebody needs to go back to RoyalNorwegianCarnival.

LOL, I heard that same complaint in the past few months, but I didn't run into it. I wonder if they asked for it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BoundForSea said:

.....stories of some really serious issues with lack of provisions in terms of alcohol and food on board. Like not small ones, ketsup was hard to come by....

Wow....assuming you mean ketchup, that's enough to demand a full refund! 🙄

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BoundForSea said:

We were on a 4/3 b2b out of PC on Mera last week of Feb into March. We were in YC and saw some things that are mostly just post covid cutbacks but only a few zonks which were quickly rectified by management. Oh and they need more staff. Who doesn’t. 

We spoke to 4 couples who were not in YC. All of them (new to MSC and veteran MSC) had stories of some really serious issues with lack of provisions in terms of alcohol and food on board. Like not small ones, ketsup was hard to come by. Drink lines were ridiculous and greater than 15 min throughout the ship and when you got there there was very very limited selections. On OC the same issues were prevalent. Food quality on board and on OC was an issue for all four couples as well. Cold, and just sub par. 

I’ve been reading very very closely the blogs and reports coming back from NY clients on here and there doesn’t seem to be any mention of these issues continuing which means they’ve gotten on the front side of them.  I followed @JamieLogical and she was on for a b2b and never once that I recall had or observed and reported any of the serious issues we heard about on board and witnessed. 

There is a new VP of North American Ops. The previous is no longer with the company, and I think there are some pretty significant changes afoot. 

please keep reporting as you cruise. Specifics and details are great that way we all can monitor and track how the real time product is coming along. I think it’s moving in the right direction. FL ports and operations may have some delay and Ive said this before, you’re going to get a different product on a 3/4 ni out of FL that a 7ni. It’s just not going to be the same quality. That isn’t just true for this cruise line. It’s just a reality. 

I believe we ran out of limes in the bars towards the end of my first sailing. But I was out of limes on a Celebrity Summit sailing for a whole cruise that even stopped in Key West at one point post-COVID, so provisioning is a challenge for all the cruise lines, I suspect...

I talked to a couple onboard the Meraviglia who had been on a Holland America cruise that ran out of toilet paper!!

Edited by JamieLogical
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

.....I talked to a couple onboard the Meraviglia who had been on a Holland America cruise that ran out of toilet paper!!

😧 😬

33 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

I talked to a couple onboard the Meraviglia who had been on a Holland America cruise that ran out of toilet paper!!

Now that is a serious issue! Even as an American, I made the switch to a bidet long ago and have never looked back. It is hard when you travel with places that do not have one. Thank god for wipes...lol

57 minutes ago, hamrag said:

Wow....assuming you mean ketchup, that's enough to demand a full refund! 🙄

This would not happen to a true experienced MSC cruiser like myself. I always stop at McDonald's on the way to the port to stock up on condiments just in case a SERIOUS ISSUE like lack of ketsup(ketchup) arises.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, BoundForSea said:

Maybe these were ramp up issues and are already settling down.  I work in logistics, and supply chain problems are now the exception rather than the norm.

On 5/1/2023 at 1:09 PM, NickG420 said:

We did Fantastica with a Deluxe balcony. We were going to bid on YC but it would have been another $2400 minimum and we opted against it.

It's fine, I'm just happy to set sail for 7 days without having to plan every detail and argue about where we are eating dinner like we would on a normal vacation.

Bella here later this week. Will let you know what this 50+ cruises on Royal customer thinks of MSC.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NickG420 said:

Now that is a serious issue! Even as an American, I made the switch to a bidet long ago and have never looked back. It is hard when you travel with places that do not have one. Thank god for wipes...lol

Same here, we got a bidet toilet seat after I saw them in Hawaii. Saved a ton on TP during Covid. Just came back from a cruise in Japan on April 22 and they're AMAZING over there.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

I believe we ran out of limes in the bars towards the end of my first sailing. But I was out of limes on a Celebrity Summit sailing for a whole cruise that even stopped in Key West at one point post-COVID, so provisioning is a challenge for all the cruise lines, I suspect...

I was gonna make a really funny comment from that, but I can't .. I'm laughing inside though!!!  All I can say, is those poor towel animals 😥

Limes thats it, man thats like amazing, it was "Sorry we are out of Vodka and Rum" but we have Heineken.  I could have sold little red packets of Heinz and made a killing that week.

-

MSC is an international shipping company first and a passenger cruise ship company second. As such they didn’t bleed money like the other lines because they had their shipping component to fall back on.  This is also the reason MSC is able to undercut the competition when it comes to pricing (although prices are creeping up).  

I think the vast majority of complaints come from American cruisers who have become accustomed to the Americanized cruising experience. They forget that MSC is an Italian company bringing a European flair to the American cruise market. I have rather enjoyed our MSC experiences and have 2 upcoming cruises with them this summer. Our cabin category of choice is Yacht Club because, while I love the cultural experience offered by MSC, I also enjoy the personalized attention offered in the YC that ensures I get the best of both worlds (America and Europe) while sailing the Caribbean. What could be better?

• Like 3