HAL's Laundry Service

mcrcruiser

2 hours ago, Edinburghgirl1 said:

We are first time HAL cruisers and are thinking of buying the laundry package for our 35 night cruise in February. The website states wash, dry and fold however others have said their clothes come back ironed! Will we have to purchase the separate pressing package too or are the clothes pressed in the unlimited laundry package? 

For 35 days, I would definitely get the pkg. Not only will you save $$ compared to the per item pricing, it is just so convenient. We sent some laundry practically every other day. Doesn't have to be a full bag, so those items you like to wear a lot can be back in your closet in no time! And, it is just so adorable how they carefully fold your socks and underwear and wrap them in tissue paper..! 😄

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, QuattroRomeo said:

For 35 days, I would definitely get the pkg. Not only will you save $$ compared to the per item pricing, it is just so convenient. We sent some laundry practically every other day. Doesn't have to be a full bag, so those items you like to wear a lot can be back in your closet in no time! And, it is just so adorable how they carefully fold your socks and underwear and wrap them in tissue paper..! 😄

Are they pressed too or just folded( I don’t mean the socks and underwear lol) 

No, you don't need pressing service if you get laundry done- your clothes will be ready to wear! As Haljo mentioned earlier, the pressing service is for clean clothes. For example, the wrinkled mess we sometimes pull out of the suitcase.. gentlemen often use it for suit jackets. Or of course anything linen!

6 minutes ago, lextsy said:

There is a pressing package too i didnt buy.. should have i?

No need to purchase the pressing pkg - as your laundry will come back pressed, it's for getting wrinkles our of clean clothes that don't need to be laundered or items you just want freshener up. You can also buy either service by the piece.

I have a nearly month long HAL cruise later this year.  When I was looking at the unlimited laundry price awhile back it was about $170.  Now it is $220.  I was hoping for a Memorial Day sale (like Celebrity), but I haven't seen any sales.

Should I just buy it now at $220, or is there a possibility of a sale in the near future?

PS, loved the tips about using two bags (hot & cold wash - dry or hang).

Thank you!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

I have a nearly month long HAL cruise later this year.  When I was looking at the unlimited laundry price awhile back it was about $170.  Now it is $220.  I was hoping for a Memorial Day sale (like Celebrity), but I haven't seen any sales.

Should I just buy it now at $220, or is there a possibility of a sale in the near future?

PS, loved the tips about using two bags (hot & cold wash - dry or hang).

Thank you!

Laundry pricing did go up from what I have observed.  It hadn’t for a very long time so I guess we can’t complain too much 😉 I have never seen laundry “on sale”.  Unless the price goes up again yours will most likely remain unchanged.  And yes, if you had bought it at the lower price, you would have secured it and the lower price.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, kazu said:

Unless the price goes up again yours will most likely remain unchanged.  And yes, if you had bought it at the lower price, you would have secured it and the lower price.

Kinda' like the stock market - sometimes you buy at the perfect time, sometimes you just miss it. LOL

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

always tip them at the end of the cruise.

Also, unless you really need something expedited, no need to pay for same day service  - if you have it out by breakfast you usually get it back same day w/no additional fee.

When you say you tip them at the end of the cruise, how do you go about that?

Also, "have it out by breakfast" is this just sitting the bag outside your door in the corridor? I would hope no one would want to steal my dirty underwear 🤢

1 hour ago, bajae said:

Just put an envelope wrapped in your laundry listing with a thank you and your tip.

1 hour ago, bajae said:

Also, "have it out by breakfast" is this just sitting the bag outside your door in the corridor? I would hope no one would want to steal my dirty underwear 🤢

You can hook it on your door - I’ve seen people do that.  I leave mine on the bed for the stewards to pick up.   On one cruise a number of years ago,  I was asked not to hook my laundry bag on the door - to leave it on the bed - for safety’s sake.  It’s a habit for me, now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bajae said:

I write a thank you note on the same card that was returned with the clean laundry (the person who did your laundry will include a nice handwritten note in the basket 🧺 when they wrap it up), put some cash with it and put it in the final bag I send out at the end of the cruise. You can also leave it with Guest Services or your Cabin Steward, but I prefer to try to get it as close to their hands as possible. 

Some people hang the laundry bag on their door, others place it on the bed - either is acceptable. I put mine on the door as sometimes my cabin hasn't been cleaned when I return from breakfast.

You can call Guest Services and let them know you have a bag ready for pick-up. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I agree with all the above comments about tipping the laundry staff. They do an excellent job with a quick turnaround . I put the person's name who signed the note on an envelope, add cash, a thank you, and put it in the laundry bag when sending it out. They work very hard.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, bajae said:

Also, "have it out by breakfast" is this just sitting the bag outside your door in the corridor?

Please, just leave it on the bed. The steward will be certain to see it there, and send it down. 
I can just see teens heading down the passageway draping dirty laundry left outside all along the cabin door handles, laughing hysterically. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Edinburghgirl1 said:

Things that normally require ironing are pressed. You can specify starch levels as well. Light, medium, & heavy.

Edited by POA1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BetsyS. said:

I agree with all the above comments about tipping the laundry staff. They do an excellent job with a quick turnaround . I put the person's name who signed the note on an envelope, add cash, a thank you, and put it in the laundry bag when sending it out. They work very hard.

Agree, and this is something we've never thought to do.  Noted!

• Like 1

On 5/27/2023 at 11:52 PM, Edinburghgirl1 said:

I miss you on the Feb 17 South Pacific Roll Call. I hope you don’t let one person keep you from posting. It was clearly out of line. Not you … her. 

• Like 1

I use the stuff a bag option, $30 on my TA last year.  It is amazing what you can get in one bag if you roll it: 1 tshirt, 2 jean, 3 yoga pants, 2 shorts, 4 dress shirts.  My DH loved the way his shirts looked and wondered why they didn’t look like that when I washed them.  I introduced him to the iron when we got home.🤣

IMG_6316.thumb.jpeg.29720803ba9f999c358e62b2685ea3e6.jpeg

• Haha 7

I use fragrance free detergent at home and double rinse to avoid skin irritation I get otherwise.  I can supply my own detergent with my bag order.  Anybody know if this will work on Nieuw Statendam?  I would put a tip in the bag.  Am on 21 day cruise in August.  Thanks for any advise.  I hate washing clothes in my tiny stateroom sink!

10 minutes ago, Cruising on a Sunday afte said:

I use fragrance free detergent at home and double rinse to avoid skin irritation I get otherwise.  I can supply my own detergent with my bag order.  Anybody know if this will work on Nieuw Statendam? 

I have not visited the laundry room, but I think this will not work. I do not believe they have individual machines for individual orders but big commercial machines for combined loads, hence the tags on clothing items. You might contact HAL if no one pipes up with personal experience.

1 hour ago, Cruising on a Sunday afte said:

I use fragrance free detergent at home and double rinse to avoid skin irritation I get otherwise.  I can supply my own detergent with my bag order.  Anybody know if this will work on Nieuw Statendam?  I would put a tip in the bag.  Am on 21 day cruise in August.  Thanks for any advise.  I hate washing clothes in my tiny stateroom sink!

HAL uses special environmentally friendly soap for the oceans so I don’t think supplying your own would work.  I also use fragrance free and have never had an issue with HAL’s laundry.  

• Like 2