Expectations of NCL

jkbec101

As a paying customer, I try and be understanding of the reality of the world we live, but I still have certain expectations to be met, especially when I'm paying my hard earned vacation dollars.  Here are a few of my expectations of NCL (Pre-Cruise and while onboard).  What are yours:

1. When I call into NCL Customer Service, I expect the person on the other end of the line will be knowledgeable and have correct information.  If I'm given bad information by NCL, then NCL should make it right.  
  2. Price match up to 30 days prior to sailing and issue a refund instead of a credit.  Also, if the price drops, just honor the new price, don't make me lose any of the benefits of my existing reservation.
  3. If I use NCL air and there is a problem, I expect, NCL to have people on duty 24/7 to handle air emergencies.  This is especially true during peak travel periods.  If they're not going to do that, then transfer ownership of the reservation to the customer, so that the customer can make any changes needed.
  4. On Embarkation day, I expect that the terminal will be fully staffed, so that everyone can get checked in and onboard as quickly as possible, this means that if the Haven or other dedicated stations are empty, they should help the regular passengers so as to move the line along.  Have snacks and water for passengers if there is a delay in boarding.
  5. My cabin should be ready and my bag in my cabin at a decent time, room ready by 1:30 and bags by 2:00pm.  
  6. When I walk up to the bar for a drink, I expect prompt service, acknowledge me if you're busy, I'm more patient if the bartender makes eye contact, or simply says give me a minute.
  7. The food in specialty restaurants should be top notch.  The same with service.  The server should be asking if we have plans after dinner that would effect speed of service.  If we have a show to get to, that should be kept in mind.  On the flip side, if we have no where to go, don't rush us out the door.
  8. Cabins should be made up as early as possible each day, if I'm still in my cabin, take note and come back, but don't come back at 4:00.  
  9. On sea days, breakfast should be served until 11:00am or better yet, serve brunch in the main dinning rooms until 2:00 pm.  I shouldn't have to get up early on a sea day just to eat breakfast.  
  10. Excursions should run timely, but with enough flexibility to allow for extra time at places of interest.  The shopping opportunity should always be at the end of the excursion, so that people can skip it or it can be cut short.  I do not need an hour and half at the Curio factory on my way to Pompeii.  
  11. Debarkation should be as quick or as slow as I the passenger want it to be.  I have an early, flight, let me off earlier upon a showing of proof.  
  12. When something happens that requires the ship to alter course, results in a cancellation of a show or whatever, there should be clear communication from the ship staff.  Can't tender in X port due to Y, then say so and say so as quickly as possible.  Choir of Man is cancelled, say why, have an alternative in place.  Delayed debarkation due to Customs and Boarder Patrol, say so.  Can't start boarding because the Coast Guard is running an inspection, let everyone know in advance so that you don't have a terminal full of angry passengers.  
  • Like 1
  • Haha 15

39 minutes ago, jkbec101 said:

As a paying customer, I try and be understanding of the reality of the world we live, but I still have certain expectations to be met, especially when I'm paying my hard earned vacation dollars.  Here are a few of my expectations of NCL (Pre-Cruise and while onboard).  What are yours:

1. When I call into NCL Customer Service, I expect the person on the other end of the line will be knowledgeable and have correct information.  If I'm given bad information by NCL, then NCL should make it right.  The laughter from my office caused a couple co-workers to look at me to see if I'm ok....definitely not reality. I do actually agree with you, but I lost this expectation a very long time ago.
  2. Price match up to 30 days prior to sailing and issue a refund instead of a credit.  Also, if the price drops, just honor the new price, don't make me lose any of the benefits of my existing reservation. Again, I agree....but I'm laughing. Another non-expectation.
  3. If I use NCL air and there is a problem, I expect, NCL to have people on duty 24/7 to handle air emergencies.  This is especially true during peak travel periods.  If they're not going to do that, then transfer ownership of the reservation to the customer, so that the customer can make any changes needed. Eh, disagree. BOGO Air, you're the airline's issue within three days of flight. Also, you can make changes to your seats/flights, depending on the carrier's rules.
  4. On Embarkation day, I expect that the terminal will be fully staffed, so that everyone can get checked in and onboard as quickly as possible, this means that if the Haven or other dedicated stations are empty, they should help the regular passengers so as to move the line along.  Have snacks and water for passengers if there is a delay in boarding. I don't disagree. But, haven't you noticed we're having a wage crisis right now? People don't want to work for pennies, corporations aren't lifting wages enough...most port workers aren't cruise line employees (different discussion on if they should/shouldn't be). 
  5. My cabin should be ready and my bag in my cabin at a decent time, room ready by 1:30 and bags by 2:00pm.  Yup....but not reality.
  6. When I walk up to the bar for a drink, I expect prompt service, acknowledge me if you're busy, I'm more patient if the bartender makes eye contact, or simply says give me a minute. Agree. Most bartenders do acknowledge folks, but kind of hard to do when everything is backed up, because that dumb arse doesn't know what they want and make the bartender ask them questions. 
  7. The food in specialty restaurants should be top notch.  The same with service.  The server should be asking if we have plans after dinner that would effect speed of service.  If we have a show to get to, that should be kept in mind.  On the flip side, if we have no where to go, don't rush us out the door. Ugh....the specialty restaurants should be a nominal fee cover charge, like no more than $25 for Le Bistro and $10 for La Cucina.
  8. Cabins should be made up as early as possible each day, if I'm still in my cabin, take note and come back, but don't come back at 4:00. Yep. 
  9. On sea days, breakfast should be served until 11:00am or better yet, serve brunch in the main dinning rooms until 2:00 pm.  I shouldn't have to get up early on a sea day just to eat breakfast.  Just eat lunch, yo! 
  10. Excursions should run timely, but with enough flexibility to allow for extra time at places of interest.  The shopping opportunity should always be at the end of the excursion, so that people can skip it or it can be cut short.  I do not need an hour and half at the Curio factory on my way to Pompeii.  Mmmmmmk, do know shore excursions are just a way to provide tourist money to vendors, right?
  11. Debarkation should be as quick or as slow as I the passenger want it to be.  I have an early, flight, let me off earlier upon a showing of proof.  Agree.
  12. When something happens that requires the ship to alter course, results in a cancellation of a show or whatever, there should be clear communication from the ship staff.  Can't tender in X port due to Y, then say so and say so as quickly as possible.  Choir of Man is cancelled, say why, have an alternative in place.  Delayed debarkation due to Customs and Boarder Patrol, say so.  Can't start boarding because the Coast Guard is running an inspection, let everyone know in advance so that you don't have a terminal full of angry passengers.  Agreed. 

So, your list of demands aren't as obnoxious as I thought they would be. We generally agree, though I still laughed....a lot, because you should definitely not, like ever, cruise NCL. You gotta go with the flow...or take your money elsewhere.

1. When I call into NCL Customer Service, I expect the person on the other end of the line will be knowledgeable and have correct information.  If I'm given bad information by NCL, then NCL should make it right.  The laughter from my office caused a couple co-workers to look at me to see if I'm ok....definitely not reality. I do actually agree with you, but I lost this expectation a very long time ago.
  2. Price match up to 30 days prior to sailing and issue a refund instead of a credit.  Also, if the price drops, just honor the new price, don't make me lose any of the benefits of my existing reservation. Again, I agree....but I'm laughing. Another non-expectation.
  3. If I use NCL air and there is a problem, I expect, NCL to have people on duty 24/7 to handle air emergencies.  This is especially true during peak travel periods.  If they're not going to do that, then transfer ownership of the reservation to the customer, so that the customer can make any changes needed. Eh, disagree. BOGO Air, you're the airline's issue within three days of flight. Also, you can make changes to your seats/flights, depending on the carrier's rules.
  4. On Embarkation day, I expect that the terminal will be fully staffed, so that everyone can get checked in and onboard as quickly as possible, this means that if the Haven or other dedicated stations are empty, they should help the regular passengers so as to move the line along.  Have snacks and water for passengers if there is a delay in boarding. I don't disagree. But, haven't you noticed we're having a wage crisis right now? People don't want to work for pennies, corporations aren't lifting wages enough...most port workers aren't cruise line employees (different discussion on if they should/shouldn't be). 
  5. My cabin should be ready and my bag in my cabin at a decent time, room ready by 1:30 and bags by 2:00pm.  Yup....but not reality.
  6. When I walk up to the bar for a drink, I expect prompt service, acknowledge me if you're busy, I'm more patient if the bartender makes eye contact, or simply says give me a minute. Agree. Most bartenders do acknowledge folks, but kind of hard to do when everything is backed up, because that dumb arse doesn't know what they want and make the bartender ask them questions. 
  7. The food in specialty restaurants should be top notch.  The same with service.  The server should be asking if we have plans after dinner that would effect speed of service.  If we have a show to get to, that should be kept in mind.  On the flip side, if we have no where to go, don't rush us out the door. Ugh....the specialty restaurants should be a nominal fee cover charge, like no more than $25 for Le Bistro and $10 for La Cucina.
  8. Cabins should be made up as early as possible each day, if I'm still in my cabin, take note and come back, but don't come back at 4:00. Yep. 
  9. On sea days, breakfast should be served until 11:00am or better yet, serve brunch in the main dinning rooms until 2:00 pm.  I shouldn't have to get up early on a sea day just to eat breakfast.  Just eat lunch, yo! 
  10. Excursions should run timely, but with enough flexibility to allow for extra time at places of interest.  The shopping opportunity should always be at the end of the excursion, so that people can skip it or it can be cut short.  I do not need an hour and half at the Curio factory on my way to Pompeii.  Mmmmmmk, do know shore excursions are just a way to provide tourist money to vendors, right?
  11. Debarkation should be as quick or as slow as I the passenger want it to be.  I have an early, flight, let me off earlier upon a showing of proof.  Agree.
  12. When something happens that requires the ship to alter course, results in a cancellation of a show or whatever, there should be clear communication from the ship staff.  Can't tender in X port due to Y, then say so and say so as quickly as possible.  Choir of Man is cancelled, say why, have an alternative in place.  Delayed debarkation due to Customs and Boarder Patrol, say so.  Can't start boarding because the Coast Guard is running an inspection, let everyone know in advance so that you don't have a terminal full of angry passengers.  Agreed. 
Edited by cruiseny4life
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sounds like you should sail on a private ship with just you and your family.  Several of your expectations are unreasonable on a large cruise line, large institution with thousands of others on the ship.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, genealogyfan said:

Sounds like you should sail on a private ship with just you and your family.  Several of your expectations are unreasonable on a large cruise line, large institution with thousands of others on the ship.

Your list was thought-provoking, but agree with the sentiment of @genealogyfan that much of what you would like to see can't be done with a ship of thousands of passengers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, genealogyfan said:

Why?  These expectations are what I experienced pre-covid on Carnival and RCI and on the Epic this last September.  I only based my expectations on prior experiences.  Do I always get what I expect, of course not, do I pitch a fit if my expectations aren't met, nope.  Things only change for the better when we hold our vendors (yes NCL is a vendor) to a higher standard.  

Accept mediocrity and you get mediocrity.  

• Like 2

Wow.   I have a much lower bar.

- Don’t ask me to plan for, cook or clean up after any meal.

- Serve me a leisurely multi-course lunch and cocktails on embarkation day.

- And, if you can, do some small things to make me feel special:  maybe it’s someone remembering my drink order, or handing me a cold treat when I am in a tender line, or maybe it’s an officer stopping to ask if I am enjoying myself.  

Did you ever wonder what NCL’s expectations of us are?

Like don’t expect cabins to be ready early on embarkation day when there are so many variables that can disrupt the process.  They let us on the ship early, let’s be happy with that.

Or understand that if NCL has to price match to the lowest fare, everyone would be paying fire-sale prices for every cruise.  Also, if the fare you paid had a lot of “perks” and a later fare doesn’t include those perks, understand that NCL can’t give you high-fare perks at low-fare prices.

Everyone has a choice in how they spend their vacation dollars.  Just don’t choose NCL if you want Viking voyages level of service.  

• Like 7

I commend the OP for this list, it's clear the person put a LOT of time and effort into compiling it and formatting it for easy viewing. Great job!

Now, as I see it, this looks more like a wish list than a list of expectations. I'd agree with @cruiseny4life on his assertions. Many of these items are things I'd LOVE for any cruise line (not just NCL) to incorporate, but I don't think it's realistic. I also associate myself with the views of @genealogyfan. Some of these issues would be more realistic on a smaller/boutique line. There's no way a mass-market line like NCL with its megaships would be able to deliver on all of these. I can't really add much to the comments made by others. You might get a better experience by booking the Haven, since the crew-to-passenger ratio is higher. Best of luck and thanks for your post, you covered a lot of ground and were very specific about what you expect. 

15 minutes ago, jkbec101 said:

Why?  These expectations are what I experienced pre-covid on Carnival and RCI and on the Epic this last September.  I only based my expectations on prior experiences.  Do I always get what I expect, of course not, do I pitch a fit if my expectations aren't met, nope.  Things only change for the better when we hold our vendors (yes NCL is a vendor) to a higher standard.  

Accept mediocrity and you get mediocrity.  

Some of the OP's expectations are just unreasonable for a cruise line with thousands of people, not that their expectations are too low. For example:

1. My cabin should be ready and my bag in my cabin at a decent time, room ready by 1:30 and bags by 2:00pm.  

**We aren't the only passengers on a cruise ship, and hotels even aren't guaranteed to check in usually before 4pm.

1. The food in specialty restaurants should be top notch.  The same with service.  The server should be asking if we have plans after dinner that would effect speed of service.  If we have a show to get to, that should be kept in mind.  On the flip side, if we have no where to go, don't rush us out the door.

**The restaurants aren't 5 diamond restaurants, they are cruise ship restaurants on a large institution. Yes, specialty restaurant food can be very good, but don't expect Michelin rated food. Also the wait staff doesn't have time to ask everyone their specific schedule, remember that schedule and serve them accordingly. If a passenger says they need to be out by 7pm, then ok. Where do you expect the wait staff to keep thousand's of people's schedules to service them at a certain speed for a meal?

1. Cabins should be made up as early as possible each day, if I'm still in my cabin, take note and come back, but don't come back at 4:00.  

**Again you aren't the only passenger. Do you really expect each cabin steward to know every person's schedule and work around their schedule?

1. On sea days, breakfast should be served until 11:00am or better yet, serve brunch in the main dinning rooms until 2:00 pm.  I shouldn't have to get up early on a sea day just to eat breakfast.  

***Again, you aren't the only passenger on a cruise ship, nobody has the same schedule. 

1. Debarkation should be as quick or as slow as I the passenger want it to be.  I have an early, flight, let me off earlier upon a showing of proof.  

**Again you aren't the only passenger on the cruise ship. Cabins have to be stripped down with bedding and replaced, sanitized, cleaned etc before the next set of new passengers who demand their cabins be done by 1:30pm be ready. If you don't want to leave until 2pm, how is that going to be for the passenger who demands their cabin be done by 1:30pm.

Edited by genealogyfan
  • Like 4

Over the years, my NCL PCC has correctly answered all of the many questions I have posed.  If she wasn’t sure of the answer, she found out and called me back, usually within an hour or so.

bwhahahahahaaah, thank you for the good belly laugh!  As if a cruiseline could/would give refunds right down to the last minute for fare changes... or an overworked room steward should stalk around all day waiting for you to rise and shine on a sea day.... and like @cruiseny4life said "just eat lunch, yo!"  I get up really early, why can't I have my eggs benedict at 5am ... jkjkjkjk

Sorry, but this is not reasonable for a main stream cruiseline running a for profit business.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

PS I'm wondering what an NCL crewmember's list of expectations THEY have of us, would look like. 🤣

Since I'm paying for the cruise, I hope they're minimal. Like:

1. I hope guests treat me with respect.

2. I hope the guest will understand if I need to hit the loo.

3. I hope I don't get yelled at by a Karen today.

4. I hope a guest doesn't complain to anyone about me. 

5. I hope at least a few of my guests will treat me like a human and ask about my life. 

6. I hope I get tipped when I provide really great service. 

That's all I can think of. It basically comes down to crew should be treated like a human being, not a robot. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Yeah, exactly, @cruiseny4life and @Morgsmom. It does come down to basic human decency. My wife and I have glanced sideways at open cabin doors on the way to breakfast or dinner and seen cabins that looked like a bomb went off. Like, who does that? And we all know about people who think they're entitled to take 537 pieces of bacon at the buffet or an entire pizza because "it's my vacation." Basically, some people think they can run roughshod over everybody else and act entitled, then blame the cruise line for anything they're dissatisfied about. I really think expectations are a two way street.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Yeah, exactly, @cruiseny4life and @Morgsmom. It does come down to basic human decency. My wife and I have glanced sideways at open cabin doors on the way to breakfast or dinner and seen cabins that looked like a bomb went off. Like, who does that? And we all know about people who think they're entitled to take 537 pieces of bacon at the buffet or an entire pizza because "it's my vacation." Basically, some people think they can run roughshod over everybody else and act entitled, then blame the cruise line for anything they're dissatisfied about. I really think expectations are a two way street.

Ok, well @Morgsmom definitely provided a more succinct list than I! 

I've seen some of those staterooms. It's crazy! I get having three kids, plus a husband in your room...but pick the clothes up off the floor and stack the room service dishes neatly. Maybe you could pick the pillow off the floor while you're at it. 

As evidenced by our conversation yesterday @DCGuy64, I'm not the cleanest guy in the world when I'm working, but I can clean up! And on vacation, I definitely keep a clean room. I even put my dirty clothes away so I can't see them. As if that's a big deal. People just amaze me! 

• Like 3

reasonable expectations for you,your party, and the other 3000 of your closest friends getting on board

i have a personal motto i try and live by " never expect ANYTHING from any body, this way you wont be disappointed if you dont get it, and reasonably pleased if you do.

this only point you have made that i totally agree with, is calling ncl and having the expectation that the person i'm speaking with knows what they're talking about. my history with ncl has proven time and again, that this is a wholly unrealistic expectation.

ive posted before (yes you are 100% correct that you're spending you hard earned vacation dollars) that should try and put up with the small stuff, and just enjoy and acknowledge your ability to be on a cruise ship with an abundance of food, drinks, exotic ports etc. think of the 1000's of people that cannot afford to do so. with at least 10-18 decks, and 1000's of pieces of luggage, it's a miracle they can get to your cabin at all. so be grateful for all the hard work the crew does. 

as for getting off the ship, and depending on where the final destination is, i either plan to stay in that port city for at least an extra day, or book a flight after 12:00 p.m. you will find that this will also relieve a great deal of stress.  we've stayed a few extra days in a multitude of cities ,throughout the world, givse you a great chance to see and explore other cities/countries.

also, please consider that for the 2 years covid shut down the industry, cruise lines lost billions of dollars in revenue. while in reality, it's not our problem, if they need to recoup some of that money, by cutting costs, of course that will fall on the backs of consumers. that's just life in the big city

me, im just happy to be able to cruise again. im happy with a cold heineken, a margarita, my kindle and the ability to sit on my balcony and watch the world go by.

by the way, i dont think anything you have mentioned will be improved upon if you sail with another line, unless its a luxury line with limited amount of passengers. of course, in the alternative, you will be paying for this privilege

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jkbec101 said:

Price match up to 30 days prior to sailing and issue a refund instead of a credit.  Also, if the price drops, just honor the new price, don't make me lose any of the benefits of my existing reservation.

The price you paid is dependent on the perks/offers at the time of booking.  At some point the option of the airfare promo drops off - price goes down.  For someone that TOOK the air promo - should they be afforded that price reduction AND keep the airfare promo?  No, because their cruise was priced at the time a promo they accepted was offered and now that promo is no longer offered.  At this point, unless you booked a cruise right when it was opened for booking you're not seeing much in the way of changed promos.  But if that IS the case - you're seeing reduced promos (less internet minutes, fewer dinners, less $$ for shore excursion credit) for that reduced price.

If the price goes up, do you expect NCL to come crying to you asking for more money?  Didn't think so...

My cabin should be ready and my bag in my cabin at a decent time, room ready by 1:30 and bags by 2:00pm.

Shoot - I don't recall luggage being at the cabin before 3 on any previous cruise.  With the reduced staffing, getting it by dinner is luck of the draw.  You DO realize how hard these people are working to first turn over your cabin and then deliver your luggage, right?  It's not like they're sitting on their backside doing nothing, they're BUSTING from 8 AM (or even earlier, prepping their carts in private) until luggage is delivered.  You want those lower prices on the cruise?  Expect fewer crew members cleaning your room and delivering your luggage.

I agree with others - find a line with a more favorable crew to passenger ratio if you have this kind of expectation.  A main-line cruise line will not meet these expectations.

Debarkation should be as quick or as slow as I the passenger want it to be.  I have an early, flight, let me off earlier upon a showing of proof.

They can't let you off any earlier than CBP will allow them to let you off.  The terminal needs to be staffed by agents for the screening.  7 AM is about the earliest I've seen the process start at US ports.

• Like 3

Couple of different thoughts.  But, I shop cruises and cruise lines.  If one upsets me, they lose my business (at least for a couple of cruises).  

If you don't like the product, leave...as my late Father used to say....."You're not a tree".

But, every time I see a post here about what someone wants, I can't help think to myself...."there's no one here who can help you".

Fill out the survey when you return.  To me, that's the surest way to at least have some sway in how ANY cruise line behaves.  Telling us isn't going to help.

Further, the pier staff is a mix of cruise line employees, immigration staff, contractors and Pier employees.  If you're going to indict one, you have to indict all for any issues, not just the cruise line.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

I've seen some of those staterooms. It's crazy! I get having three kids, plus a husband in your room...but pick the clothes up off the floor and stack the room service dishes neatly. Maybe you could pick the pillow off the floor while you're at it.

Two months ago, I was on the Bliss, aft cabin, so we walked hallways a lot past other cabins.  One morning, we saw a cabin steward (not ours), leaning against the door, with his head resting on the door jamb.  I asked him if he was okay, thinking he was feeling faint.  I looked in that room, it was the room category where there are two bunk beds, in addition to the full sized bed.  There was garbage everywhere.  Not just piles of clothes and opened suitcases, but leftover food junk covering the floor.  Not just dishes . . .  food.

That steward was fine, so he said.   

It's not NCL's fault who boards their ship every cruise.  The level of inconsiderate attitude towards other humans is incomprehensible.  

• Like 7