After Reading Numerous Posts over the last Several Weeks, These are my thoughts

LAFFNVEGAS

28 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

Use it all the time, mainly for positive comments and in many cases have received call back in cabin thanking us for our comments. They post the comments somewhere where crew can see them and we often get thank you’s for our comments.

After a very good experience in the Medical Center on Oosterdam, I made it a point to write a handwritten note of thanks and praise for the staff and deposited it in the feedback box at Guest Services.  A day or two later, I received a plate of chocolate covered strawberries with a note of thanks for my feedback from the Hotel General Manager.  I'm not a huge fan of chocolate covered strawberries, but I appreciated the gesture.

Edited by DCThunder
  • Like 4

26 minutes ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

After all of this dialogue, tell me again what is the major issue that people are complaining about?  

All of the people peeing in the pools;) 

Seriously though, having sailed X and HAL this year, I know I saw cutbacks on X, and it sounds like similar may be happening on HAL. Both to me were still a product I would easily sail again and we currently have 1.5 X cruises booked (Galapagos counts as a half since it is X but super different. We are pretty chill though so the changes on X specifically really didn't impact us too much.

Also was surprised on HAL that in the MDR that free Lobster is not offered on any night.

Edited by cgolf1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I wonder if people are aware of and using the "let us know" function on Navigator. I think HAL used to have cards to fill out in the days before the app. While people may have a duty to complain, not all recipients feel that way, unfortunately. I think people should make a point of giving positive feedback, too. On my last cruise, I saw a supervisor in the hallway and was pleased to have a chance to tell him what a good job my steward did, despite the fact that the workload appeared to have increased since my previous (pre-Covid) cruise. 

I always fill out the post-cruise questionnaire, with both the good and the not so good.

I agree that if one is willing to complain, they should also be willing to give praise where it is due.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, DCThunder said:

After a very good experience in the Medical Center on Oosterdam, I made it a point to write a handwritten note of thanks and praise for the staff and deposited it in the feedback box at Guest Services.  A day or two later, I received a plate of chocolate covered strawberries with a note of thanks for my feedback from the Hotel General Manager.  I'm not a huge fan of chocolate covered strawberries, but I appreciated the gesture.

I hope you did not complain about the chocolate covered strawberries. 🤣🤣

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

Where does the line get drawn between duty to complain to management (agree), and demanding others boycott the entire product because of your own personal negative experience?

Can you provide a link to that?  I haven't seen any such thing but I'm more than willing to admit I'm wrong.  Let's just say for giggles that there was such a post. Are people that feeble minded that if one person says to boycott hal people are going to immediately start doing that?  I read, take note, and form my own opinion.  I'm assuming that's what most would do.

Edited by Florida_gal_50
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I wonder if people are aware of and using the "let us know" function on Navigator. I think HAL used to have cards to fill out in the days before the app. While people may have a duty to complain, not all recipients feel that way, unfortunately. I think people should make a point of giving positive feedback, too. On my last cruise, I saw a supervisor in the hallway and was pleased to have a chance to tell him what a good job my steward did, despite the fact that the workload appeared to have increased since my previous (pre-Covid) cruise. 

I always fill out the post-cruise questionnaire, with both the good and the not so good.

Exactly!  It’s all about balance.  Some things sound incredibly annoying and need to be fixed but they may or may not be deal breakers for others.   I always like reading a variety of opinions, as everyone’s experiences may differ. I too think the good things need to be appreciated. 

32 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Can you provide a link to that?  I haven't seen any such thing but I'm more than willing to admit I'm wrong.  Let's just say for giggles that there was such a post. Are people that feeble minded that if one person says to boycott hal people are going to immediately start doing that?  I read, take note, and form my own opinion.  I'm assuming that's what most would do.

It is a continuum -- the range between no complaints and active boycotts. Where is the bright line in response to the business school admonition that complaints are both necessary, desired and justified.  

Versus those who repeatedly tell us they hated HAL and will never sail her again. Okay, got it.  Once is good enough for me. But by sheer repetition of their complaints and references to using other cruise lines instead fall within this continuum, if not yet an active request to boycott HAL. YMMV.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I wonder if people are aware of and using the "let us know" function on Navigator.

The feature is well staffed, too. We have used it a number of times to provide both positive and less positive feedback and have been notified of followups, remediation, and gratitude (especially when providing positive feedback on individuals). 

3 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

Versus those who repeatedly tell us they hated HAL and will never sail her again. Okay, got it.  Once is good enough for me. But by sheer repetition of their complaints and references to using other cruise lines instead fall within this continuum, if not yet an active request to boycott HAL. YMMV.

I can respect the complainers and the grumps as it's just an opinion and they have the right to say and share it.  Where I lose respect is the lack of conviction from these complainers and grumps who still give HAL their money even though they said they won't sail again.  I mean, if your word means nothing, what are you?

Just now, PACD_JG said:

I can respect the complainers and the grumps as it's just an opinion and they have the right to say and share it.  Where I lose respect is the lack of conviction from these complainers and grumps who still give HAL their money even though they said they won't sail again.  I mean, if your word means nothing, what are you?

Back in 2017 I swore off HAL very vocally.  I did sail other lines and came back.  The reasons were the crew and the itineraries. 

I understand the complaints.  I do think many of the complaints I read reflect a bit of impatience with the start up process.   Then some are people who clearly didn’t read the reviews or understand the style of the cruise line. Finally some are people who really don’t enjoy HAL anymore and just haven’t finished breaking up

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Finally some are people who really don’t enjoy HAL anymore and just haven’t finished breaking up

Ha ha, good point @Mary229!  Those relationship break ups in my past were a huge roller coaster of thoughts and emotions and leaving a long-time favorite cruise line certainly could evoke the same feelings!!

🤷‍♀️

~Nancy

32 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Finally some are people who really don’t enjoy HAL anymore and just haven’t finished breaking up

My goodness, what a great statement! Loyalty is truly one of the strongest core beliefs. We finally reached 4* and I am now (and have been since we first started cruising) a HAL enthusiast to the max. But after a B2B2B this past winter, we're taking a break. Fingers and toes crossed we will return. 

48 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Back in 2017 I swore off HAL very vocally.  I did sail other lines and came back.  The reasons were the crew and the itineraries. 

I understand the complaints.  I do think many of the complaints I read reflect a bit of impatience with the start up process.   Then some are people who clearly didn’t read the reviews or understand the style of the cruise line. Finally some are people who really don’t enjoy HAL anymore and just haven’t finished breaking up

And thank you! Breaking up is hard to do! Sounds like an old song but so true!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, PACD_JG said:

I sort of get what you're saying -- there are some who complain vociferously yet will bristle at the idea of sailing another line.

On the other hand, though, HAL is a business not a relationship where one has to be "loyal" and where one needs to "break up".

If one cruise line doesn't cater for my needs now, I'll sail with another line. But having been cruising for about 50 years, I also know that cruise lines ebb and flow. One may be "down" today and hot tomorrow -- by dint of new management, new vision, new ships or whatever. That's why I would almost never say never when it comes to who I'd sail with in future.

(Some lines do make it mighty difficult to envision wanting to sail with them though....😉.  And I don't necessarily mean HAL.)

30 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I sort of get what you're saying -- there are some who complain vociferously yet will bristle at the idea of sailing another line.

On the other hand, though, HAL is a business not a relationship where one has to be "loyal" and where one needs to "break up".

If one cruise line doesn't cater for my needs now, I'll sail with another line. But having been cruising for about 50 years, I also know that cruise lines ebb and flow. One may be "down" today and hot tomorrow -- by dint of new management, new vision, new ships or whatever. That's why I would almost never say never when it comes to who I'd sail with in future.

(Some lines do make it mighty difficult to envision wanting to sail with them though....😉.  And I don't necessarily mean HAL.)

I have cruised celebrity, Princess, hal and carnival.  After 3 sets of not great cruises on the koningsdam, I’d had enough.  I never say never because I always end up doing what I say I wouldn’t do.  I investigated several other cruises with different lines for this spring and they all got knocked off the list because of having to take a guarantee to not being able to book at pre cruise hotel for under about $800 cdn.  Begrudgingly I ended up booking another cruise on hal with less than ideal items that are important to me.  I’m super happy I did because it restored my faith in hal.  The Princess cruise I was really interested in had a big flu outbreak and I think they had to return early but I’m not sure. I’m not sure why people become so invested in what others are saying or doing.  It’s just odd.  Just because people change their mind it doesn’t make them people with bad character.  That is a huge stretch.

Edited by Florida_gal_50