What do white medallions mean?

thermal

On 5/13/2023 at 6:27 PM, SCX22 said:

For now, blue Seawitch logo on white background indicates a first time Princess cruiser, taking the place of the white Seawitch on blue background.  Not sure if this is a permanent change or just to use up old inventory or if this is even the case on all Princess ships.  On my last cruise on the Royal Princess at the end of April CD kept saying 1st time Princess cruisers with white Medallion on The Wake Show.  But you right, that medallions with white backgrounds indicated that it was for the inaugural 1st year of a ship's service. 

They are showing a White Medallion on my app for our upcoming cruise on the Coral....certainly not an inaugural cruise and I'm not a first time cruiser.  So what gives?
Strangely, my hubby's is correct?

Edited by suzyed

On 5/14/2023 at 1:54 PM, DCThunder said:

But if it weren't for different colors, how are the snobs going to signal that they are better than the great unwashed noobs who only have a white medallion?  After all, those people just "aren't our kind".😉

It has nothing to do with snobs....I have never seen a white medallion.

On 5/13/2023 at 8:02 PM, luvtoteach said:

We were on the Ruby in April.  We had received white medallions.  When we checked in there was a crew member stationed at check in to put the black sticker on the medallion.  She told us that all of the medallions start off white and then the loyalty stickers are applied.  A lot of medallions had been mailed before they were ready.

Sorry, that has to be BS....never was that way before.  They just make it up as they go along.

• Like 1

On 5/14/2023 at 1:33 PM, donaldsc said:

Why does anyone care what color they are as long as the appropriate perks are loaded into the electronics.  I just do not get it.

DON

Well that's the rub.

On 5/14/2023 at 8:28 PM, Doug R. said:

Probably the small, very small, percentage of "elites" who, prior to the medallions, would flash their black cards to prove their superiority over the rest of us peasants.

Jealous much...

• Like 1

On 5/14/2023 at 12:54 PM, DCThunder said:

But if it weren't for different colors, how are the snobs going to signal that they are better than the great unwashed noobs who only have a white medallion?  After all, those people just "aren't our kind".😉

On 5/14/2023 at 2:07 PM, donaldsc said:

Sort of like the HAL Holland America Mariner Award Pins.  I wonder - could you set up a business and/or would Princess ban them if you tried to sell medallion covers or even fake medallion pins showing to to be higher in status than you really are.  Or perhaps interchangeable witty sayings.

DON

I don't cruise HAL, but nothing can be worse than the gold Pinnacle name tags on RCCL.

10 hours ago, suzyed said:

They are showing a White Medallion on my app for our upcoming cruise on the Coral....certainly not an inaugural cruise and I'm not a first time cruiser.  So what gives?

The App has a glitch but it doesn’t affect your medallion or onboard status. 
It will affect your discount for wifi if trying to purchase through the App w/o a pkg prior. (You wld need to call)

You can call to have it fixed but it’s a  PIA and doesn’t mean it won’t revert back to white in the near future. 

When you receive your Medallion at home, how do you know it's working?

7 hours ago, lahlah57 said:

We were on Discovery last november and we had the red background with the white sea witch.

We were denoted as ruby passengers by the number of cruises we have been on.

remember when 'medallion' was a captains' circle level? - short lived and replaced by 'Ruby'.  The medallion level color was also a 'ruby color'.  We've got the card somewhere...

You are certainly not alone in that. Just more Princess IT glitches. On the app it shows a white medallion and says I am a first time princess cruiser. However our medallions arrived yesterday for our 34th Princess cruise élite black. Not the first time this has happened either. I guess the have bigger problems to solve.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pickels said:

If it doesn't work you can replace it on the ship after boarding.

You'll soon find out.

2 hours ago, Pickels said:

It'll either scan or it won't when you arrive at the port.  It won't be a big deal for them to replace if needed.

I don't have the stats but the odds it doesn't work have to be extremely remote. Having watched these boards for a long time I've seen very scattered one-off stories of people's batteries dying before they get to the pier, or even at any point during the sailing for that matter.  It does happen but it's definitely not a regular problem, and not a difficult one to solve even if you are one of the select few.

4 minutes ago, PMGS247 said:

It'll either scan or it won't when you arrive at the port.  It won't be a big deal for them to replace if needed.

I don't have the stats but the odds it doesn't work have to be extremely remote. Having watched these boards for a long time I've seen very scattered one-off stories of people's batteries dying before they get to the pier, or even at any point during the sailing for that matter.  It does happen but it's definitely not a regular problem, and not a difficult one to solve even if you are one of the select few.

Thanks for your input!  Appreciate it!

On 2/27/2024 at 11:09 AM, PMGS247 said:

Of course there is always a way to rectify it.  But I think most of us would rather not start a cruise with an "issue", even if it's not a big one.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, suzyed said:

Of course there is always a way to rectify it.  But I think most of us would rather not start a cruise with an "issue", even if it's not a big one.

I don't disagree, I'm not judging the question it's a fair one, but given the answer is basically "no, you can't verify it works" I'm just pointing out that you might as well set your mind at ease knowing (A) the odds are very remote that it doesn't scan, and (B) it'll be super easy to resolve if by some thin chance it doesn't work.

Edited by PMGS247
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, kywildcatfanone said:

White is typically indicative of a group cruise.

We got our white medallions on the Dec 2021 Enchanted Princess cruise.  We were told that the white medallions would be used for the Enchanted's first year of cruising. Have no idea if that happened.

Edited by coo359a2

15 hours ago, suzyed said:

Sometimes it doesn't go as smooth as others are saying. We had to wait 90 minutes in the terminal in Whittier two years ago when our medallions wouldn't work at check-in. It happened to tons of people, we all had to wait for them to slowly make us cruise cards. Once boarded, we then had to go wait at passenger services to trade the cruise cards for medallions. Wasn't a great way to start the trip, but this is what happens with lots of "tech" things. Heck, I tried to go back to my cabin at 3am midway through my last cruise and found my medallion was dead. Thankfully they can make you a new one 24/7

• Like 1

Our friends will be joining us for their first Princess Cruise next Friday on the Discovery.  Our medallions arrived and ours have a gray-ish background (we're Platinum) and theirs have a white background.  We assumed it was because they are first-time Princess sailors.

7 hours ago, gardengalaz said:

Our friends will be joining us for their first Princess Cruise next Friday on the Discovery.  Our medallions arrived and ours have a gray-ish background (we're Platinum) and theirs have a white background.  We assumed it was because they are first-time Princess sailors.

That normally would be a good assumption...let's see how it works out.
Just hoping ours will be the correct color once we get there for our 20th Princess cruise.