platinum and elite lounge entry

hunt182644

20 minutes ago, voljeep said:

Hopefully someone can post a picture of the recent food offerings

No photo's but it's not that impressive.

Nothing that you can't get in the DR as I recall and since we eat dinner early it only make the line to get seated longer at around 6 PM.

We were asked to show our medallions at the door on the evening we boarded the Enchanted last week. No one has asked any other evening or on any other cruise since the restart.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Torfamm said:

We were asked to show our medallions at the door on the evening we boarded the Enchanted last week. No one has asked any other evening or on any other cruise since the restart.

I’ve noticed that there is always been someone at the door checking medallions if they don’t know the people entering.  

• Like 1

This post is really insulting to many guests.  I believe it is a slippery slope, how far do you want to carry this? If a guest has club class, now called Reserve Collection, and friends want to dine with them, should they be able to do so? How about access to suite dining, if I have a friend should they be able to dine with me? Or how about allowing them to use my Priority Tender status?

These are all things others and I have paid for or have earned. They are not things to be stolen by others. If I want to dine with friends I would not try to get them into suites/reserve dining, I would just go to the regular dinning or suggest we visit a specialty restaurant. 

Just so people understand, with the medallion system, the staff know they do not belong. If a server does a sale in this event their ID is log with the sale, if the guests do not belong, the server/bartender is subject to termination.  This is really a very selfish plan to defraud other guests and the cruise line. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, voljeep said:

Hopefully someone can post a picture of the recent food offerings

I was up there about 5 days ago and it was disappointing the food offered. I haven't been there since. It was the worst offering in several cruises.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Expat Cruise said:

if the guests do not belong, the server/bartender is subject to termination. 

I’m calling BS on this. Princess is having enough trouble finding crew members. They aren’t going to sack someone for SELLING a drink and generating revenue. And Princess never intended to separate spouses when one is Elite and the other is not. Princess wants people to experience the perks of status to incentivize people to strive to obtain that status. The same way that time share companies shower people with freebies if they agree to tour the property. The Elite lounge may be a luxury for you, but it is most assuredly a marketing tool for Princess. It all comes down to capacity. If the lounge fills up with people who qualify, then others don’t get in. But more and more that isn’t happening so the vacant space can be put to its best and highest use by allowing in others who are going to spend money. Your optimal outcome might be for YOU to have the lounge all to yourself without another soul in it, because no one else qualifies. But rest assured that Princess does not consider that to be THEIR optimal outcome. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

This is really a very selfish plan to defraud other guests and the cruise line. 

I agree in principal that people shouldn't try to finesse things they are not entitled to, but I think I'd stop short of 'defraud'.

I like the PES events when they are in Skywalkers or a similar venue and I enjoy the food in general. It is also a nice way to meet others.

• Like 3

Has a crew member every kicked anyone out of the PES lounge?

I doubt it.

Some people make it sound like it's a really unique lounge for only the highest of classes that can enter. 

Maybe I'd take it more serious if Princess had free drinks & superior food that couldn't be had elsewhere. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

I doubt it.

Some people make it sound like it's a really unique lounge for only the highest of classes that can enter. 

Maybe I'd take it more serious if Princess had free drinks & superior food that couldn't be had elsewhere. 

Once when it was really crowded, they were definitely checking and not allowing anyone in without the proper card color  .. but then again, on other times, we were able to go in there with others when there was room.  We were told it was perfectly fine and if they paid for drinks on their cards, they would be charged full price.  
As mentioned, nobody is getting terminated over it.  

• Like 1

I think in all we went to the P/E Lounge more as unauthorized guests than we have since being P/E.  No one ever questioned us back then, and no one has ever asked us to verify we are eligible since we have been 🙂  We went to visit with people we were cruising with before we all went our separate ways for the evening.  The $1 discount on a drink I don't drink wasn't a draw, and for us nibbling on goodies just before we go eat wasn't enticing.  It's one of the great things about cruising - something for everyone.  I can't imagine your friends being turned away, and if you can find someone to ask like you mentioned you plan on doing, I think you'll be fine. 

1 hour ago, MissP22 said:

100%.  I doubt that the happy hours are long for this world.  "Come get an $8 drink that you can get at the Good Spirits Bar for free with Plus!!"  The "perk" seems to have lost its zing.  Priority tendering and free laundry?  Sure.  I get that.  But discounting drinks while at the same time pushing All Inclusive Packages is silly.  I can see the future.  Fewer and fewer people will go to these gatherings until you can count the attendees with the fingers on one hand.  And then Princess will discontinue them.  And then hundreds of people here will come here to yell and scream that Princess is taking away all the good perks!  

Edited by JimmyVWine
  • Like 3

The original draw for us was Skywalkers.  The views and the place was never crowded.  The food offerings have always been mediocre.  I mostly went for the shrimp fountain, but there was always an interesting assortment of cheeses.  I usually ordered a "regular" drink at the "regular" price rather than the sometimes silly concoctions on special.  An exception would be Chairman of the Board, which DH loved.  The staff was the same each night, and it was nice to get to know them.  I learned a lot about some countries I'd never been to by talking to them about their homes.  We often met some fun people and had a good time with them, sometimes different people on different nights.  (BTW, I don't ever remember any conversation about cruise status or sharing "Elite" stories.)  When we had grandchildren with us, we took them along.  No one complained.  (My kids are well behaved, thank you.)  

Now we have been on the Royal class ships (for itinerary reasons, mostly) the lounge has gone to Club 6 or whatever it is on other ships.  No great views.  The last couple of times it has been in Vista Lounge, with a too-loud entertainer, and with everyone all spread out, limiting chances to chat with others.  It's nothing like the Skywalkers experience.  

To answer the question, what's the big deal, I guess I have to say it is not a big deal and not as much fun as it once was.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MissP22 said:

I doubt it.

We are on the Enchanted at the moment and the “lounge” is pretty dismal. Boring cheese, veggie sticks, smoked salmon, and egg rolls in the very uninspiring Vista lounge. We’ve been in a few times but I’d rather grab snacks in the buffet and sit outside there. There was entertainment only one night

On the other hand, it was a very nice experience in Skywalkers on the Caribbean Princess earlier this year. They had a wide variety of items that I don’t see every where on the ship including sushi and music every night. We really enjoyed having cocktails there in the evening 

1 hour ago, Torfamm said:

We are on the Enchanted at the moment and the “lounge” is pretty dismal. Boring cheese, veggie sticks, smoked salmon, and egg rolls in the very uninspiring Vista lounge. We’ve been in a few times but I’d rather grab snacks in the buffet and sit outside there. There was entertainment only one night

On the other hand, it was a very nice experience in Skywalkers on the Caribbean Princess earlier this year. They had a wide variety of items that I don’t see every where on the ship including sushi and music every night. We really enjoyed having cocktails there in the evening 

It was similar when the Enchanted was in the Caribbean earlier this year. Nothing to really get us to go back again and again. We went 3 nights to see if we missed anything but it never got any better.

I can't get to excited about a cup of potato salad, a few celery sticks and some rolls of salami. 

There were maybe 20 people there on one of the most crowded night.

Maybe they should post a guard at the door to keep people from escaping. 🙄

• Haha 6

9 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

I’m calling BS on this. Princess is having enough trouble finding crew members. They aren’t going to sack someone for SELLING a drink and generating revenue. And Princess never intended to separate spouses when one is Elite and the other is not. Princess wants people to experience the perks of status to incentivize people to strive to obtain that status. The same way that time share companies shower people with freebies if they agree to tour the property. The Elite lounge may be a luxury for you, but it is most assuredly a marketing tool for Princess. It all comes down to capacity. If the lounge fills up with people who qualify, then others don’t get in. But more and more that isn’t happening so the vacant space can be put to its best and highest use by allowing in others who are going to spend money. Your optimal outcome might be for YOU to have the lounge all to yourself without another soul in it, because no one else qualifies. But rest assured that Princess does not consider that to be THEIR optimal outcome. 

My information comes directly from a long term Princess Cruises bartender. Who happens to be in one of our vacation townhouses now, here in the Philippines. Wife, has a big family and lots of relatives here, several works for the cruise lines. Have you ever had a crew member contract in your hands to read? I have, and the contracts are very clear. Stealing is not allowed, facilitating is and always has been grounds for termination. Even if it does not result in termination it is a black mark and hurts the crew member on several levels, shore leave, share of the gratuities fund, advancement, etc.  But not going to debate this you have stated your information, I have stated mind. The readers hear can review and make up their own minds.  

8 hours ago, scottca075 said:

I agree in principal that people shouldn't try to finesse things they are not entitled to, but I think I'd stop short of 'defraud'.

I like the PES events when they are in Skywalkers or a similar venue and I enjoy the food in general. It is also a nice way to meet others.

By definition, it is to defraud, The meaning of DEFRAUD is to deprive of something by deception or fraud.  Clearly, entering a venue that you have not earned or paid for the right to be at is deception. Getting free food and discounted drinks that is budgeted to a program you're not entitled to deprives the cruise line and other guest.  Yes, I understand this is a very technical interpretation, but it, is sound and correct. Many would just let it pass, I'm one for following the terms of contracts exactly, but using those terms to the maximum advantage.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Expat Cruise said:

But not going to debate this

But you are....

22 minutes ago, Expat Cruise said:

I have stated mind. The readers hear can review and make up their own minds. 

Pretty sure most have....

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Stealing is not allowed, facilitating is and always has been grounds for termination.I

The readers hear can review and make up their own minds.  

Explain how SELLING a drink and GENERATING revenue is stealing. What item is being taken away from its rightful owner?

And it’s “here” not “hear”. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Yes, I understand this is a very technical interpretation, but it, is sound and correct.

Uh… no. It is not. You have gone from asserting that an Elite wife bringing her non-Elite husband into the lounge to buy a drink will result in the immediate termination of crew members to now arguing that the husband has committed the criminal act of fraud and is subject to prosecution. Really?  You don’t see this as a profound overreaction?

• Like 5

52 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

Uh… no. It is not. You have gone from asserting that an Elite wife bringing her non-Elite husband into the lounge to buy a drink will result in the immediate termination of crew members to now arguing that the husband has committed the criminal act of fraud and is subject to prosecution. Really?  You don’t see this as a profound overreaction?

No, I never said that anyone in your cabin is entitled to the same benefits as you. So in your example the husband who be given the same boarding, tendering, Elite Lounge when with his wife. The OP said bring friends to these events, friends not traveling on the same reservation or in the same cabin. 

16 hours ago, ldubs said:

Actually, I think being able to invite friends & family to the Platinum/Elite lounge would be a nice perk.  Maybe something Princess should formalize.   

Kinda like they used to say you could invite people in your party to take advantage of the priority boarding with you...our friends normally stayed in the regular line and most times beat us to our cabin 🙂 

• Haha 3

39 minutes ago, bjkTX said:

Kinda like they used to say you could invite people in your party to take advantage of the priority boarding with you...our friends normally stayed in the regular line and most times beat us to our cabin 🙂 

Not to mention when you get ON the ship has little to do when you get IN your cabin.

My DW wants to be IN the cabin right away. As long as I can eat and drink as soon as I board I am solid 😆

• Haha 1

I always take my roomie with me to fancy munchies.  I was told many times that as long as I'm elite, it's fine.  

Just like throwing in roomies laundry into my bag.  

But I've stopped going to fancy munchies since they stopped giving printed menus.  Hate showing up and it's guac and chips, but always used to show up for steak tartare (said in my best klingon voice).  

Now it's exactly the same food that can be had in the buffet, so I stopped going. 

• Like 2