Husky Puppies in the Piazza (or Pool Deck) - What time to they normally bring the huskies aboard the ship?

SonomaMist

We will be on the Ruby Princess in August and wanted to see what time normally Princess will normally bring the husky puppies aboard the ship.  Trying to plan our shore trip and would like to see this is possible.  

Thanks!

My most recent experience was May 5th this year on the Sapphire. The puppies came on in Skagway and it started at 5 pm.

Some folks will complain that it’s mean or cruel.  The handlers do it to socialize the pups to the noise, the touching, all the different looking people with hats and different clothing and so on. It’s an important part of the pups training.  This is explained by the handlers and they will gladly discuss it further with you. The pups are rotated and given breaks so they aren’t subjected to 45 min straight. 

• Like 2

The puppies are incredibly cute, but I think the "meet and greet" is too stressful for the pups, and I do not participate.  I had two huskies (only counting the mother and the one puppy we kept, and not counting the litter-mates which we sold), and they are almost irresistible! 

Hello we were on the Ruby last August to Alaska. There were no puppies! There were 3 or 4 adult dogs. It was way overcrowded and not worth the time and effort. It was just a money making photo opportunity for the ship. Don't get your hopes up to much. We were really disappointed.

1 hour ago, Bob and Linda said:

Hello we were on the Ruby last August to Alaska. There were no puppies! There were 3 or 4 adult dogs. It was way overcrowded and not worth the time and effort. It was just a money making photo opportunity for the ship. Don't get your hopes up to much. We were really disappointed.

Maybe it wasn't puppy season...  

I was just on Discovery.  The puppies were there at 3:00 in Skagway.  There were only 2.  One was not enjoying it.  He yelped a few times and ran away a few times, but his handler was good and calmed him down.  It was very crowded, so if you want a good spot, or if you want to get on line to pet them, get there early.00

If you want to see the dogs, and it is really worth doing, best to take a tour that includes this. Easy to find with both ship's tours and private tour's in port. We did a fly in to the glacier to visit a working camp and a dog sled ride to leave the glacier. Ending with a scenic bus tour back to the ship.

On 5/21/2023 at 4:41 PM, SonomaMist said:

We will be on the Ruby Princess in August and wanted to see what time normally Princess will normally bring the husky puppies aboard the ship.  Trying to plan our shore trip and would like to see this is possible.  

Thanks!

On our recent trip on Majestic they had the puppies around 4pm.  But it could be different on different ships and sailings.  

We went to watch from above, there was a really long line to see the puppies.  It made us glad we had done a shore excursion where we got to see puppies instead.  So my advice is you want to see them check what time and then show up really early. 

• Like 1

We retired a few years ago and traded the city life for the country life.  We decided to foster rescued Samoyeds and huskies.  We know their temperament very well and I can assure you that the puppies on the ship, with so many people and strange smells, will be experiencing anxiety and fear.  Please do not grab at them, squeeze them or attempt to kiss their faces.  Give them space and and try not to raise your voice.

I completely understand the excitement of seeing these babies, but I wish they didn’t do it.  A frightening experience at this age can last a lifetime.  As a “mom” to many of these dogs over the years, I have become very protective of this very special breed of dog.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

We retired a few years ago and traded the city life for the country life.  We decided to foster rescued Samoyeds and huskies.  We know their temperament very well and I can assure you that the puppies on the ship, with so many people and strange smells, will be experiencing anxiety and fear.  Please do not grab at them, squeeze them or attempt to kiss their faces.  Give them space and and try not to raise your voice.

I completely understand the excitement of seeing these babies, but I wish they didn’t do it.  A frightening experience at this age can last a lifetime.  As a “mom” to many of these dogs over the years, I have become very protective of this very special breed of dog.

Alaskan huskies are different than pure-bred huskies. Alaskan huskies are not pure-bred but multiple breeds to make them the best sled dogs.

That being said - they made a point to say that that they rotated them out during the visit so they are not over stimulated and that this event allows for them to become better socialized.  After saying that - I didn't go to the event to see how it was done.

I have some experience with service dogs - my Mom had 2 Seeing Eye dogs. When they are young puppies and playing in their "playground" - they play real world sounds such as sirens, trains, cars, etc... so that they are used to different sounds and don't get scared. Then they get them out into their puppy raising homes (when they can be away from Mama) pretty early to socialize them and make them well adjusted dogs. These families take them everywhere. This is why they are such well trained/socialized dogs. They get exposed to grocery stores, parades, take train trips, go to concerts, etc... when they are young.

I agree with common courtesy as you say about not to squeeze them, etc....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Coral said:

Alaskan huskies are different than pure-bred huskies. Alaskan huskies are not pure-bred but multiple breeds to make them the best sled dogs.

That being said - they made a point to say that that they rotated them out during the visit so they are not over stimulated and that this event allows for them to become better socialized.  After saying that - I didn't go to the event to see how it was done.

I have some experience with service dogs - my Mom had 2 Seeing Eye dogs. When they are young puppies and playing in their "playground" - they play real world sounds such as sirens, trains, cars, etc... so that they are used to different sounds and don't get scared. Then they get them out into their puppy raising homes (when they can be away from Mama) pretty early to socialize them and make them well adjusted dogs. These families take them everywhere. This is why they are such well trained/socialized dogs. They get exposed to grocery stores, parades, take train trips, go to concerts, etc... when they are young.

I agree with common courtesy as you say about not to squeeze them, etc....

Most huskies that are rescued are mixed breed, not pure bred such as Siberian huskies and Malamutes.  The Alaskan bred huskies are no different than the ones we foster.  I could share many stories about these dogs in Alaska but this is neither the time or place for that.  You’ve made some good points about service dogs.  Many of those pups, unfortunately, are not suitable for the job and are then given to good homes as family pets.

Please just be considerate and kind and gentle when handling the pups.  I’m currently fostering a pregnant Samoyed who was chained to a fence before being rescued.  If you want to see husky puppies, come to my house! lol

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Expat Cruise said:

If you want to see the dogs, and it is really worth doing, best to take a tour that includes this. Easy to find with both ship's tours and private tour's in port. We did a fly in to the glacier to visit a working camp and a dog sled ride to leave the glacier. Ending with a scenic bus tour back to the ship.

Or a less expensive option is to visit a musher camp that requires only a bus ride an not a helicoptor. We did this with a Princess excursion in Juneau and my daughter loved it. We were able to pet and take pictures with the older dogs and hold week-old puppies. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Lady Arwen said:

I’m currently fostering a pregnant Samoyed who was chained to a fence before being rescued.  If you want to see husky puppies, come to my house! lol

I’d love to!!!  I haven’t had a “fix” of puppy love in a long time.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lady Arwen said:

She’s due in three weeks!  I’ll send you directions. lol

I hope the delivery goes well.  A formerly abused b!tch might have some problems; give her lots of love!  (A completely unnecessary comment, I know!)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Buckeye10640 said:

Or a less expensive option is to visit a musher camp that requires only a bus ride an not a helicoptor. We did this with a Princess excursion in Juneau and my daughter loved it. We were able to pet and take pictures with the older dogs and hold week-old puppies. 

Yes, you're right, and your way you would get a better experience with the puppies, and not as cold as standing on a glazier. But Lyn wanted to have a helicopter ride to see Alaska, and want to see and stand on a glazier. So this was the better option for us. As you know, Alaska is a wonderful place, you can say many things about it. But you cannot say Alaska is cheap, so combining things makes sense. 

• Like 1

On 5/25/2023 at 11:36 AM, Lady Arwen said:

As someone who is “owned” by a Siberian Husky, I agree with everything you’ve said.

And thanks for all the dogs you’ve helped.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Mike45LC said:

I hope the delivery goes well.  A formerly abused b!tch might have some problems; give her lots of love!  (A completely unnecessary comment, I know!)

19 hours ago, Mike45LC said:

Thank you!

• Like 1