Hotel Recommendations for Venice and Florence

CruzerDeb

I'm planning my second (only my second!!) Mediterranean cruise for next year (Rome to Athens) and would like to start off in Venice, then Florence, ending up in Rome for a few nights pre-cruise, where I plan on staying at Albergo del Senato again. I'd love to hear your recommendations on hotels in Venice and Florence; I'll probably spend 2 nights in each place, which I hope will be enough time to see the highlights.

Also, I guess I'd take a train from each city. Thoughts?

• Like 1

I know there a loads of great hotels in Venice.  We have only been once and stayed at the Hilton Mulino Stucky.  It is in Giudecca across the main canal from St. Mark's Square etc., but they have a dedicated boat that goes back and forth.  It is a Hilton, but is very much a unique space.  It included a fabulous breakfast and the views were spectacular.  It also has a rooftop pool which is unusual, but very much appreciated as we were there in August and it was hot.

• Thanks 1

Without knowing your budget, mobility, #of people, and preferred areas, it's difficult to make meaningful suggestions.  ie if you can't easily manage your luggage you might prefer to stay near the train station, OTOH maybe you pack light and can stay anywhere.  If you are a couple with 2 kids maybe you'd be happier in an apt for 3 nites in Venice.  We don't know ......

Use tripadvisor or booking.com to narrow your search by area and budget, then come back to request feedback when you've found a few options that interest you.

I think this Venice site is a great resource, for hotels and everything else:

Venice for Visitors | In-depth travel advice since 1997 (europeforvisitors.com)

As for Florence, the historical area where all the sights are, is quite small.  I was there 2 weeks ago and wanted to be near the Duomo and the SMNovella station but didn't want to spend over $150.  Booking.com was great!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the advice. We’re two 60-year-olds with a decent budget who’d like to stay close to where the sights are; I don’t want to haul my luggage all over the place and am happy to pay for transportation to/from hotel from airport or train station. 

8 minutes ago, CruzerDeb said:

Thanks for the advice. We’re two 60-year-olds with a decent budget who’d like to stay close to where the sights are; I don’t want to haul my luggage all over the place and am happy to pay for transportation to/from hotel from airport or train station. 

In Venice:  Hotel Sina Palazzo Sant'Angelo (pricey) and Hotel Stern (moderate) are both well located with close connections to vaporetti/alilaguna transport.  Options if you want to stay closer to Piazzale Roma (the most convenient terminus but not most attractive area) are Hotel Santa Chiara and Hotel Papadopoli.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

In Venice:  Hotel Sina Palazzo Sant'Angelo (pricey) and Hotel Stern (moderate) are both well located with close connections to vaporetti/alilaguna transport.  Options if you want to stay closer to Piazzale Roma (the most convenient terminus but not most attractive area) are Hotel Santa Chiara and Hotel Papadopoli.

These both look like great options! Thanks for the recommendations. 

• 1 month later...
On 5/31/2023 at 2:54 PM, CruzerDeb said:

I'm planning my second (only my second!!) Mediterranean cruise for next year (Rome to Athens) and would like to start off in Venice, then Florence, ending up in Rome for a few nights pre-cruise, where I plan on staying at Albergo del Senato again. I'd love to hear your recommendations on hotels in Venice and Florence; I'll probably spend 2 nights in each place, which I hope will be enough time to see the highlights.

Also, I guess I'd take a train from each city. Thoughts?

It is very easy to get around Italy solely by train.  If you haven't, you have GOT to go to Accademia Gallery.  It is magnificant.  The statue of David is awesome. There are a lot of lesser known Michelangelo work as well.  I do not even have an artist's heart but it was breathtaking. 

• Thanks 1

In Florence, I stayed at the Market Urban Hotel.  Nice boutique hotel.  A quick 5 minute walk from the train station, a 5 minute walk to Mercato Centrale, a 9 minute walk to the Academia Gallery.  The front desk staff was great.  I emailed them with some reservations l wanted for meals and they got them, even coming back to ask about alternative times when needed.  Look it up on the internet.

• Thanks 1

On 6/2/2023 at 2:03 AM, cruisemom42 said:

I second the recommendation for the Palazzo Sant'Angelo.  It is a very nice hotel in a wonderful location (right ON the Canale Grande and right next to the Sant'Angelo vaporetto stop).

In Florence we have stayed at many different hotels but the one we liked the best was the Relais Sta. Croce.  Lovely staff, really nice breakfasts and dinner, and if you ask for a room in the back it is quiet AND you get a good view of the Santa Croce church.  There are some decent little restaurants on the same street too.   

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/9/2023 at 3:35 PM, Hambagahle said:

I second the recommendation for the Palazzo Sant'Angelo.  It is a very nice hotel in a wonderful location (right ON the Canale Grande and right next to the Sant'Angelo vaporetto stop).

In Florence we have stayed at many different hotels but the one we liked the best was the Relais Sta. Croce.  Lovely staff, really nice breakfasts and dinner, and if you ask for a room in the back it is quiet AND you get a good view of the Santa Croce church.  There are some decent little restaurants on the same street too.   

Yikes!  This is like 1,000 per night!  Any suggestions for under $500 per night?

In Venice we really liked the Al Ponte Mocenigo... in a quiet area and had an excellent breakfast in a nice courtyard.   

In Florence, our hotel was not very memorable, so I can't make a recommendation....

Have fun !

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/24/2023 at 12:53 PM, CCJack said:

In Venice we really liked the Al Ponte Mocenigo... in a quiet area and had an excellent breakfast in a nice courtyard.   

In Florence, our hotel was not very memorable, so I can't make a recommendation....

Have fun !

For venice,how easy was it to get to Tronchetto station as we are getting the shuttle to ravenna?

My favourite hotel in Florence is the funky, unique and very comfortable Garibaldi Blu. It’s very near the train station, air conditioned to American standards, and has… character. There are palm trees made of recycled tyres in the lobby, and life-size comic figures all over the place. The rooms are fairly compact, but the beds are very comfortable and the breakfasts are delicious.