The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday June 1st, 2023

richwmn

Well, since we booked with miles, they were limited in what they could do.  In the end, it was sorry, we cannot do anything for you.  We had booked through AA on British Airways to London in Business Class.  Since I had and DVT and Pulmonary Emboli it was suggested that I do not fly in economy on long haul flights.  There were no business class tickets to be found with miles.  Or at least what they told me.  The lady tried for two hours and had her supervisor working on it too.

In the end they refunded the miles and the taxes.  I am really bummed out.

They would not put me on another airline other than AA or BA.  At the last minute the flights were full.

So we bought tickets on Delta (out of JFK) using our Chase Points and cash (a lot of it).  I had some credit for a flight to Philly, which I changed to JFK and we are good to go on June 17 as planned. We got the last two business class seats on a Delta non-stop from JFK.

I have been on the phone all day.  Got nothing done that I needed to do today.  What a mess!

Terri

• Like 12
  • Thanks 10

20 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Well, since we booked with miles, they were limited in what they could do.  In the end, it was sorry, we cannot do anything for you.  We had booked through AA on British Airways to London in Business Class.  Since I had and DVT and Pulmonary Emboli it was suggested that I do not fly in economy on long haul flights.  There were no business class tickets to be found with miles.  Or at least what they told me.  The lady tried for two hours and had her supervisor working on it too.

In the end they refunded the miles and the taxes.  I am really bummed out.

They would not put me on another airline other than AA or BA.  At the last minute the flights were full.

So we bought tickets on Delta (out of JFK) using our Chase Points and cash (a lot of it).  I had some credit for a flight to Philly, which I changed to JFK and we are good to go on June 17 as planned. We got the last two business class seats on a Delta non-stop from JFK.

I have been on the phone all day.  Got nothing done that I needed to do today.  What a mess!

Terri

Terri, I happy you got it resolved if not the way you wanted.  it's good they refunded the miles and taxes.

FWTW;, we've flown business class on Delta several times, and it was good.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 12

2 hours ago, kochleffel said:

In contrast to 89° here in the frozen north!

We topped off at +28C (82.5F) here today and yesterday we tied with Ft Lauderdale's temp of +30.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Thank you Sandi @StLouisCruisers.

Excellent photos.

Screenshot_20230601_121011.jpg

I asked DD about the D.A.R.E. program at her school and she says it is still running for the 5th grade for about 10 weeks or so.  Glad to hear they are still trying to discourage drug use among the youngsters.

12 hours ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Good cool stuff sunny morning. I have not heard from the electric company yet so I guess the shut off is still on. It’s still supposed to be near 90 today and tomorrow. 
   My sweet Ninja is not doing so well and keeps losing weight even though he is on medication.  I think he’s missing Fluff💔🐾

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.

IMG_1534.jpeg

I hope your Ninja is feeling a little better this evening, and has an appetite again.  It must be hard to lose your pal and not know what is happening.

11 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Good morning. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily. Rabbit, rabbit, white rabbit.

The Heimlich maneuver has saved many lives. I try to say something nice every day. The DARE program is important in schools. Good quote. Pass on the meal (fish), maybe on the drink and yes to the red wine (if someone else buys it for me).

I haven't been to Puerto Madero.

It's going to be another hot day here. About 40 schools are doing at home learning the rest of the week, as they have no AC. We also have some air quality issues from the Canadian fires. I got the yard edged yesterday and half of it mowed. I'll finish the other side this morning, before it gets too hot. Then laundry. The knees held up pretty well, but by the time I stopped working yesterday I was pretty sore.

I don't know if it was the mild winter, but my hydrangeas had no buds on the old wood, as they usually do, although there's new growth. Also my rose bush didn't bloom. It's been very dry as well, so I'll need to do some watering. I may try to find a tomato plant or two at the garden center, although I know it's late.

@StLouisCruisers Thanks for the photos.

@kazu The pictures of the fires are so scary.

@1ANGELCAT Oh no on the electricity shut off in this heat; hopefully they'll reschedule it. Sorry to hear that Ninja is not doing well.

Prayers for all in need and Cheers for those with something to Celebrate.

Be well everyone.

Did you finish your yard work today?  I hope you're not working too hard!  You mentioned your poor hydrangeas.  My front yard has some gardenia bushes and they had a rough time this spring getting frozen a few times after new growth.  This week I have some gardenia flowers on some of them, but there are definitely some dead branches among them.  Such a pity!

7 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Well, guys, if I ever need prayers it is now.

British Airways has stopped all operations from Philly and my flight is cancelled.  We booked with AA miles and they are unable to rebook us.  We are supposed to fly out on June 17.  I have been on the phone with AA for the last 1 1/2 hours they have just come back and told me nothing is available.

Terri

What a bummer about B.A. canceling flights.  I'm so happy to hear you've arranged a new flight plan for yourselves.  We fly Delta most of the time and I think you'll be happy with them.

I had a good and very long coffee/tea visit with Brenda this morning, on the porch.  We had a good view of Bubba the painter doing some work at neighbor Linda's garage.  She was very interested to hear I've just completed two Shutterfly books and wanted to see them.  She was very happy with how they turned out and actually went home with another photo book of our family 50th anniversary cruise to peruse and show Paul.  She claims she's going to come borrow several books at a time to read and enjoy our travels with us.  She is such a great supportive neighbor.  No word yet on when they will departing on their cross country tour.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Well, it is not Good Morning but Good Evening everyone!

I have to admit I didn't understand the "rabbit, rabbit" postings so I had to google it.  And since I have said many, many things already today:

tibbar, tibbar!  This is what I found in my "research":

What if you forget to rabbit? (Yes, we’re going to go ahead and use rabbit as a verb here.) Are you just out of luck? Nope, according to some, if you say “rabbit rabbit” backwards, you’re safe. So, if you ask for coffee before you remember rabbits, then tibbar, tibbar it is.

I left at 4am AZ time (PDT) and reached Abilene at 5:45pm (CDT).  About 12 hours.  Had a nice drive through some parts I had not driven through before.

Nice collection of days (and, yes, I have done the Heimlich more than I want to remember) and I LOVE Simon and Garfunkle.  Driving today I was listening to SirusXM the 80's.  I was rocking out!!

Thoughts for those on the care list.  I hope the fires in NB get put out soon!!

Have good evening everyone!!

Edited by Nickelpenny
addition
  • Like 13

While we were able to book alternate flights on Delta, this cost us thousands $$$$$ that we were not prepared to spend.  We had booked flights using AA miles on BA to London.  AA was unable to find any flights.to accommodate us.  i think I was too quick to give up and should have insisted on escalating our problem.  Especially when this happens two weeks prior to departure.

i am very unhappy with AA.  I think they should have gone a step further.  They said they could only look for flights within 300 miles of Philadelphia.  While there was availability in Miami they were not allowed to book that.

I am not sure I have any recourse now that i had the miles redepositied in our accounts.  I think I should not have agreed to that.  Having such a short window to get a flight I panicked and felt I had to find something quickly.

So it is great we have flights but I wish I felt good about the whole thing.  I really don’t.

Terri

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5

22 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

So it is great we have flights but I wish I felt good about the whole thing.  I really don’t.

Terri

I am so sorry it turned out this way BUT you will make it to your cruise and you WILL have a great time.  🙂 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cruzin Terri said:

While we were able to book alternate flights on Delta, this cost us thousands $$$$$ that we were not prepared to spend.  We had booked flights using AA miles on BA to London.  AA was unable to find any flights.to accommodate us.  i think I was too quick to give up and should have insisted on escalating our problem.  Especially when this happens two weeks prior to departure.

i am very unhappy with AA.  I think they should have gone a step further.  They said they could only look for flights within 300 miles of Philadelphia.  While there was availability in Miami they were not allowed to book that.

I am not sure I have any recourse now that i had the miles redepositied in our accounts.  I think I should not have agreed to that.  Having such a short window to get a flight I panicked and felt I had to find something quickly.

Terri

I’m sorry it’s costing you more money but I would have done the same thing and book immediately. Like @Nickelpenny says you will get to you cruise and you will have a good time. 😘

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I believe that Dr Heimlich has had his name removed from the procedure now, as the first step for someone choking is to give 5 hard slaps between the shoulder blades. If this is not successful then what has been renamed as abdominal thrusts are then used.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 5

@Cruzin Terri I feel your pain.  So sorry you are going thru this on top of everything else you have been dealing with.  

In 2019 we were booked on BA thru American Airlines in business class from Chicago to Dublin for a cruise - and in the last minute BA announced a strike for our travel day.  We ended up on American, more money as I recall and different travel days so I had to add some days to our hotel stay in Dublin too.  Though the outgoing flight was refunded in full (except for the fee we paid to preselect our seats which disappeared into the luminiferous ether) we also paid a penalty to cancel the return as no strike had yet been announced for the day of the return flight - and worst of all I missed my last opportunity to enjoy the upper deck of a 747.  BA no longer flies them.  Sigh

Not sure I will go out of my way to book BA again.

Though I do not post often I read the Daily almost every day and have become quite involved in the lives of so many folks I have never met.  I really appreciate the dedication of those who unfailingly do the lists and those who substitute for them when the regulars are unavailable.  A wonderful, warm community. Thank you all.

Edited by arzz
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, bennybear said:

Rabbit, rabbit rabbit! Need all the luck we can get!  
One of the Alberta fires is larger than the city of Red Deer, so they’re evacuating more people.  We have firefighters from New Zealand and Australia helping, thank you! 
We’re having slight amounts of rain, and there was a tornado near our RV lot.   
A few more spring blossoms. 

DSC_0171.jpeg

DSC_0169.jpeg

@bennybear we have just heard on our TV news that the NZ firefighters will be there until the end of June, likely that another contingent will follow.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

11 hours ago, erewhon said:

@bennybear we have just heard on our TV news that the NZ firefighters will be there until the end of June, likely that another contingent will follow.

So wonderful that they have come from so far to help.  It’s a real mess.  Again, thank you!

• Like 1