Iona Fjords 24th June 23 itinerary change

MrBeaumont22

Thought this may be useful for anyone else doing the Fjords on Iona this year. Just received notification that Iona will no longer be cruising the Geraingerfjord out of Hellesylt so no 360 turn at the seven sisters anymore ☹️

• Like 1

Any knowledge why? Is it due to ship size/passenger numbers or something else?

First they don’t stop at Gerainger and now they don’t even travel down the Fjord anymore. If this is another permanent change then they should look at sending Iona’s to other areas of the world where they can travel and dock as per the itinerary.

• Like 4

Had the same email today re our August cruise. Have to say I’m really hacked off.

We chose the cruise at it originally went to Geiranger, the only one of the ‘big 3’ scenic fjords we hadn’t been to. It was bad enough when it was announced that the port call had changed to Hellysylt, but a small consolation was that there would be a scenic transit most of the way to Geiranger after leaving Hellysylt and before heading out towards the sea.

Now even that has been dropped and in typical P&O style the change is announced very soon after final balances have been paid. It all leaves a very bad taste in the mouth.

Moderators - could this thread possibly be re-titled removing the cruise date, as I believe that this change may apply to all future Iona cruises calling at Hellysylt?

• Like 2

This is the BS from P&O about this. No apology or acknowledgment that people might be disappointed about this but, of course, a sales pitch on paying extra for excursions to where we were supposed to be going anyway!

We hope that you are looking forward to your Norwegian fjords holiday on board Iona.

As Iona transits the UNESCO Geirangerfjord world heritage area on your way to Hellesylt, you’ll be treated to some of the most breath-taking views.  Sunnylvsfjorden will wow you as you wind your way along its 16 miles of craggy cliffs, tall waterfalls and glassy waters before reaching Hellesylt.  

Whilst we are no longer sailing past the Seven Sisters waterfall you will be able to visit this spectacular sight from Hellesylt on one of our shore experiences. There is also the opportunity to see the breath taking Hellesyltfossen waterfall, which literally splits the village in two. 

Visit My P&O Cruises to see everything on offer in Hellesylt. Places are limited, so book now, to snap up your favourite. 

As we depart from Hellesylt, you’ll be treated again to sweeping waterscapes, soaring, snow-dusted peaks and forested slopes that plunge down to the water's edge as you sail though the Storfjorden. 

We are looking forward to welcoming you on board Iona.      

Kind regards,

P&O Cruises

• Like 8

I can't believe they have refused to give a reason given how close to the sailing we are. Then to have the cheek to suggest purchasing excursions. Given the need my party has for an accessible excursion, P&Os offering is non existent to see Geiranger Fjord. 

Its just another thing on a long list of baffling decisions p&o makes. 

• Like 2

We also received the same email today for are 24th June sailing this is are first p.o cruise and we are bitterly disappointed. So we have lost 50% of port days with Olden also being taken off as well. I m taking it this is cost cutting.

1 hour ago, SarahHben said:

My sister has just had the same email for their 5th August Iona cruise, she’s very disappointed.

We received the same email today.  We are sailing tomorrow. Very disappointed.  Not sure what we can do.  Even if we had bought the optional extra for "missed port" in our insurance, I guess it wouldn't have covered this situation as technically they are not missing a port.

Not sure whether it would be worth complaining.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Showingthatgame said:

Given the need my party has for an accessible excursion, P&Os offering is non existent to see Geiranger Fjord. 

That’s the same issue we have. I hope that we get to Geiranger one day, but it won’t be on a P&O cruise. A very similar thing happened to us on a previous P&O fjords cruise. They don’t have good form on this and seem to have a scant disregard for the reasons why passengers book specific cruises. The ship is not the destination for us. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Paddykins said:

We also received the same email today for are 24th June sailing this is are first p.o cruise and we are bitterly disappointed. So we have lost 50% of port days with Olden also being taken off as well. I m taking it this is cost cutting.

According to Olden's port schedule you are still listed as arriving on the 27th. Have you received an email from P&O?

2 hours ago, RA10 said:

We received the same email today.  We are sailing tomorrow. Very disappointed.  Not sure what we can do.  Even if we had bought the optional extra for "missed port" in our insurance, I guess it wouldn't have covered this situation as technically they are not missing a port.

Not sure whether it would be worth complaining.   

We are also sailing on the 10th, but not had an email.😠

7 hours ago, CarlaMarie said:

According to Olden's port schedule you are still listed as arriving on the 27th. Have you received an email from P&O?

It has been removed from my cruise planner, it is saying we are doing a cruise by Nordfjord and Innvikfjorden. Not an Olden port day as it did last week. No email from P&O as of yet. 

1 hour ago, Paddykins said:

It has been removed from my cruise planner, it is saying we are doing a cruise by Nordfjord and Innvikfjorden. Not an Olden port day as it did last week. No email from P&O as of yet. 

If it is a nice day (cannot be guaranteed), I think I would prefer the scenic fjord cruising to a stop in Olden.

1 hour ago, Paddykins said:

This confused us too for our Britannia cruise. 

I think it's just an anomaly as when you dig a bit deeper, it still says port day, our excursion in Olden is still showing and you can still book excursions. 

Also, look on the itinerary map, it's still showing Olden. 

If you buy the cruise today, Olden is still there. 

I'm sure it's just another P&O I T glitch... 

Andy 

• Like 4

I am extremely annoyed as I booked this cruise a long time ago, when it was stopping at Geiranger. It was then announced it wasn’t going there but would be stopping at Hellesylt and doing a sail by Geirangerfjord. It is extremely bad form of P&O to now remove the sail by after final payment. How kind of them to offer us the opportunity to book a shore excursion with them and pay more money to go to the place they should have taken us in the first place! No thanks, we will book a private shore excursion, either rib ride or the ferry. I have messaged them with my complaint. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On our last 2 cruises to the Fjords there was a dropped port and most folk I know who have sailed to the Fjords on Iona have had similar. We were told after we embarked (the ubiquitous. “Operational reasons”.

Not the end of the world, albeit disappointing, but I just wonder why P&O can’t get its act together and either ditch those ports permanently if so hit and miss and find another…or something,

• Like 1

Having very recently completed all four scheduled ports on a non-P&O ship similar in size to Iona (which doesn't and never has advertised Geiranger), I can fully understand why there may be reasons why ships this size sometimes have to miss ports / instigate "plan B" etc.    It's the transparency, or lack of, that's one of the on-going reasons I'm not currently booking a P&O cruise,

Personally, I loved the near 70 mile sail into Olden and the cruise stop itself, and would have been disappointed not to experience the (self-booked) Flamsbana railway at Flam.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Paddykins said:

2 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

I think it's just an anomaly as when you dig a bit deeper, it still says port day, our excursion in Olden is still showing and you can still book excursions. 

Andy 

I've just checked the itinerary on our Cruise Planner; the cruise-bys are still showing for the 13th, but Olden has dropped off. Our tour for Olden is still showing. As Andy writes, there is likely to be an IT glitch. 

I really can't understand the IT glitch, it's not like P&O have ever had IT problems before!🙄

• Haha 6

2 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

Andy 

There is confusion on Britannia's 23 June departure as well. On the 27th she is calling at Flam but the excursion planner lists the 27th as a port with no name and lists cruise byes for Sognefjord and Aurlandsfjord  which is correct as Flam is at the end of Aurlandsfjord. I have an excursion booked for that day and the excursion planner sows plenty of availability with some sell outs. The port schedule lists Britannia for that day with no other ships and the previous and subsequent days have no ship listed. I have not received an email and would be a tad irritated if they dropped Flam because a visit there is why I booked this cruise.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, davecttr said:

There is confusion on Britannia's 23 June departure as well. On the 27th she is calling at Flam but the excursion planner lists the 27th as a port with no name and lists cruise byes for Sognefjord and Aurlandsfjord  which is correct as Flam is at the end of Aurlandsfjord. I have an excursion booked for that day and the excursion planner sows plenty of availability with some sell outs. The port schedule lists Britannia for that day with no other ships and the previous and subsequent days have no ship listed. I have not received an email and would be a tad irritated if they dropped Flam because a visit there is why I booked this cruise.

We get on as you get off Dave, and ours is not showing Flam or Olden, the only 2 we are excited about... 

As said before, hopefully it's just a glitch... 

Andy 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AndyMichelle said:

We get on as you get off Dave, and ours is not showing Flam or Olden, the only 2 we are excited about... 

As said before, hopefully it's just a glitch... 

Andy 

Surely it must be a glitch, days 4 and 5 are Olden and Flam

• Like 1