PACKING LIGHT

lilybug

Where are you heading?  We way over packed for our first Oceania cruise in January on the riviera to the Caribean.   Don't forget you can do laundry or, if in a higher cabin or similar send out to have O do.

Edit:  looks like you may be taking a British Isles cruise later this month.  I am sure people with experience for that area will chime in.

Edited by Woofa

22 minutes ago, Woofa said:

Where are you heading?  We way over packed for our first Oceania cruise in January on the riviera to the Caribean.   Don't forget you can do laundry or, if in a higher cabin or similar send out to have O do.

Edit:  looks like you may be taking a British Isles cruise later this month.  I am sure people with experience for that area will chime in.

We are booked for a British Isles cruise the latter part of August. We might have preferred a concierge stateroom (weren't available when we booked) vs. a veranda stateroom but the concierge would have been $1,000 higher for our 12 nights itinerary. I won't again spend my time doing self serve laundry, but for the $1,000 lower fare we can pay O to do our laundry and still come out well ahead. We will pack one trunk suitcase each (these will be checked), which will be "lighter" than our last trip overseas in 2019. Our suitcases will each include an empty carryon bag should we decide to bring more home than with which we left. Hopefully, we won't experience much inclement weather since I only plan to bring one combination of clothes for such a contingency. 

Yes, we are doing Belfast-Southampton the end of this month.  Our daughter lives outside London and right now, they are having summer weather but I think I'll prepare for both chilly and warm.

5 minutes ago, Hanoj said:

We are booked for a British Isles cruise the latter part of August. We might have preferred a concierge stateroom (weren't available when we booked) vs. a veranda stateroom but the concierge would have been $1,000 higher for our 12 nights itinerary. I won't again spend my time doing self serve laundry, but for the $1,000 lower fare we can pay O to do our laundry and still come out well ahead. We will pack one trunk suitcase each (these will be checked), which will be "lighter" than our last trip overseas in 2019. Our suitcases will each include an empty carryon bag should we decide to bring more home than with which we left. Hopefully, we won't experience much inclement weather since I only plan to bring one combination of clothes for such a contingency. 

I think one lightweight rain jacket will do.  Right before we fly, I'll check the 10 day forecast and adjust if necessary!

Mix and match layers.  Quick dry clothes easy to wash and dry overnight.  Lay out clothes then edit.  One pair of walking shoes and one pair pumps for dress.  One pair pants for dress just change tops. I use the packing cubes. (Love Samantha Brown clear top ones HSN)  I also bring  a Lug (QVC) or some such backpack that folds itself into an envelope size. (Instead of carry on for mementos gifts etc.) Same with jacket that folds into small bag. I take a picture of med bottles instead of carrying them. Use those travel cases for meds vitamins. If traveling with another share one deodorant, one tube toothpaste etc. Good luck!

• Like 2

Limit your shoes as shoes are the bulkiest of your clothing. Color coordinate, bring more tops that bottoms and plan on doing laundry. Understand that people will see you wearing the same outfits over the course of the cruise. I admit to having a hard time packing carry-on for a cruise, but I've done 5 weeks in Australia with a 22 inch bag and a day pack. 

Specifically for cruising, I have categories (evening, city, and casual clothes). For evening, I usually bring two black bottoms (pants and skirt) plus black, white and a colored blouse. I bring a black cashmere cardigan as well as a colored, thin cardigan that matches the colored blouse. Cute, flat, black sandals and a dressy evening bag finishes the category.

I usually wear part of the above for city touring where you might want to look a  little smarter than jeans and a tee shirt. Then I look at the activities I have planed for the ports and usually bring jeans, tees, and a warm sweater. Finish the look with sturdy, waterproof or water resistant shoes and a crossbody day bag. Plus a waterproof jacket!

Don't forget a swimsuit and cover-up, and your night things. I also like to bring a small umbrella even if my coat is waterproof. I also bring a sunhat. 

Also, limit your toiletries and only bring approved travel sized items. I don't like using hotel or cruise line toiletries, so I track my usage of a product and bring enough for the whole trip.

Hope this is helpful!

• Like 2

I was born and brought up in Scotland, and Edinburgh is my alma mater.   My advice would be to take a properly waterproof raincoat, not jacket, and a packable down jacket for warmth.  You can expect to be thoroughly drenched at some point on your itinerary.  Now, you may be lucky and have sunshine all they way, you just can't count on it.  When we go back to Scotland we pack for all 4 seasons, even in the height of summer.

Now with your packable waterproof coat, and your packable down jacket, you can wear a T shirt or shirt, and shorts or Capris underneath, so that you can dry your legs with your microfibre towel, and take off your waterproof coat and your down jacket when the sun comes out!  Put the towel, coat, and jacket into your tote or backpack and you're good to go.  Don't forget your sunglasses and sun hat.  Now, none of these weighs that much. And remember on Oceania you don't need formal wear.  A couple of pairs of crinkle or linen pants and a selection of pretty tops and fashion jewellery and you'll hold your own with the best of them.  Alternatively a dress or two, if that's your thing.

I find a few scarves, and a pashmina for air conditioned spaces on board, can be handy.  Camisoles can add an extra layer of warmth while taking up only a small amount of room.

A word about umbrellas.  In coastal Britain I wouldn’t bother.  When it's wet it can be windy.

Bon voyage.

Edited by SellaVee
  • Like 3

Our last O cruise was the first one where we travelled with a carry on only (to be more accurate, we had a carry on and a small bag each, something similar to this one).

The cruise was 10 nights plus 3 nights pre cruise in Barcelona.

We had some concerns, but it was perfect. Yes, you need to think what to pack instead of just throwing everything into the suitcase and not using half of it.. Using packing cubes was helpful, also used travel size toiletries. 

Will probably not going back to checked in luggage, definitely not when cruising with O (SS might be more challenging, will see).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lilybug said:

I think one lightweight rain jacket will do.  Right before we fly, I'll check the 10 day forecast and adjust if necessary!

That is what I do

Mix & match  ..wash n wear fabrics

Try to have slacks I can wear  a few times with different tops

I do laundry during the cruise

A pashmina or cardigan for the ship incase it is cool in some areas

the shoes are my big issue  down to 3 pr   1 pr walking shoe  1 pr dress shoe  1pr casual shoe for around the ship

DH has  1 pr walking shoes  1 pr deck shoes  for warm weather cruises  & 1 pr dress shoes

small containers with face creams  etc..

Still have not made it  to just carry on  but still trying 😉

Usually I have 1 x 26 " case  each  & 1 carry on  for meds/valuables

14 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Usually I have 1 x 26 " case  each  & 1 carry on  for meds/valuables

On shorter cruises we each have 1 x 24" suitcase and 1 carry on.  On longer ones, 1 x 26" suitcase and 1 carry on each.

6 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

On shorter cruises we each have 1 x 24" suitcase and 1 carry on.  On longer ones, 1 x 26" suitcase and 1 carry on each.

Trying  a 21 ' & 24 " for next one  

hope I can get  it right this time 😃

Thank you for all the great ideas, very concise and to the point.  We have a day before embarking, and a week in London/Stansted, total of 19 days abroad.  We were each going to take two full size 25 or 26" suitcase, but now I'm hoping to get it down to one 25" and one carry on.  I am so tired of lugging it around and we are not getting any younger.  If I manage this, I'll be happy.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, lilybug said:

What is your best tip for packing light?  I can't believe people can take a 7-10 day cruise (some even longer) with only a carry-on bag.  Bring on your ideas!

Thank you.

You can always tell the folks who packed only a single carryon. 😳

We do longer cruises of mostly 3 to 7 weeks and pack for an approx.10 day span thus relying on doing laundry at appropriate transitions. Unless we’re including snorkel or other significant outdoor items (occasionally in their own <20” rollaboard), we’re fine with each having our own 27” Briggs & Riley “compressible” hardside suitcase and our own small handheld B&R “stackable” for valuables/medicines/electronics/travel docs.

Once onboard, we then use the open 27” ones for under-bed extra storage.

• Like 1

I pack in either a 26" or 30" spinner.  I do try to keep the suitcase outbound weight to 42ish pounds.  (Always heavier on the return flights.)  I also have a 16" thin spinner carryon as well as a small backpack/purse.  My husband has the same except a camera bag instead of a purse.  I pack our clothing in cubes so that they are easy to find.

If you are worried about lost luggage, invest in a tracker and take a photo with your phone of your suitcase.  In August of 2022 on a flight from Amsterdam to Oslo, upon arrival, my suitcase was still on the tarmac in Amsterdam.  I showed the lost luggage agent my phone showing the tracked suitcase and a photo of what it looked like.  They were able to find it immediately and had it on the next flight which arrived before our next flight departed.  (Delta/KLM.)  I was very thankful as we were on our way to Svalbard and I needed my warm winter clothes.

When packing, keep in mind that several European countries do not sell what we consider over-the-counter medicines without a doctor's orders.  Bring a little of everything you may need.

Bring only clothing that can easily be washed and will dry quickly.  Wear heaviest clothing and shoes on a plane. Pack  2-3 of each type of item. 2 short sleeved shirts, 2 longer sleeved shirts, 2 dress shirts, 2 pr. Shorts, 2 pr. Long pants, etc.  Plan clothing that can be mixed and matched.  Black or dark pants work better than lighter colors. Tops in solid colors or a small print.  One of each of these: Lightweight sweater, polartec hoodie, goretex rain jacket, umbrella, bathing suit+ cover up, hat, scarf. For cold climates, bring a puffer jacket that folds up into its own bag. It can also be used on a plane if it is cold or as a lumbar support.  Shoes: take old shoes that are comfortable…walking shoes, dress shoes, rubber flip flops or swim sneakers, and if warm bring sandals.  

Is there a particular reason you want to pack a carry on only? 

As much as you can pack is my motto, however after seeing the two ladies who were 8 days into our Christmas cruise without luggage has made me more mindful of packing a few essentials in the old carryon. Undies, a swimming costume, slacks and a couple of T-shirts and if the worst comes to the worst you will still have something to wear. Also one of the ladies who lost her luggage had packed her medication in her checked bag - please don’t do that - it’s asking for the gods of bad luck to have a go. 

For everyone that is worrying about it being chilly during a British Isles cruise i unless you are from Florida you aren’t going to notice it - bring a lightweight coat and then dress for summer. It may be wet, but it will be muggy and warm for the most part. 

I also attach AirTags to everything - they are amazing. I pack too much and do so with reckless abandon 🙂

Edited by ToxM
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Some good ideas already. I have been packing light for almost 40 years of international travel ala Rick Steves. My first trip to Europe for six weeks was in carryon and I haven’t looked back.  My carryon weighs 25 pounds all packed. Complete mix and match, lightweight and quick dry clothing. I like to look nice when traveling so packing light just helps me me more organized.  

• Like 2

I think people forget how far north Scotland goes.  Growing up on the Aberdeenshire coast, my husband was much nearer Norway than London.  It does depend on what you are used to.  

We did a Baltic cruise in July/August, pre pandemic, and some of Oceania's American passengers were wearing down jackets, hats and scarves, and the cruise director was complaining about how cold it was.  Many of the locals were in shirt sleeves and we just thought there was a fresh breeze.

If it turns wet and windy you will be cold.  If you are lucky it will be gloriously sunny.   It's really hot in the UK right now, but June is often the best month for weather.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, lilybug said:

they are having summer weather but I think I'll prepare for both chilly and warm.

Good call.

We are currently having very warm weather, with temperatures in the high 20s (yesterday it was hotter here in northwest England than Barcelona), although we had heavy rain the other day. June/July are probably our best summer months but bear in mind this is a small island off the coast of Northern Europe and we often do chilly and wet. More so in the northern parts of the country.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rizello said:

Some good ideas already. I have been packing light for almost 40 years of international travel ala Rick Steves. My first trip to Europe for six weeks was in carryon and I haven’t looked back.  My carryon weighs 25 pounds all packed. Complete mix and match, lightweight and quick dry clothing. I like to look nice when traveling so packing light just helps me me more organized.  

Ditto. The last time I checked luggage was for a live aboard dive trip to Cocos Island back in 2014 as I had dive gear.

I'll be taking a checked bag again with me to Antarctica in November 2025 on SS, mainly due to hiking boots (for Patagonia), rain pants, long underwear, walking sticks, and the SS expedition parka. I'll be shipping it home after the expedition as I'll still have 5 weeks of travel remaining before returning home first week of January. I run hot, so only a fleece jacket for my northern hemisphere stops (UK and Vienna) toward the end of my trip.  If I need something more, I can always buy it.

I'm heading to Europe later today for 12 days and only taking small 18" carry on as I'm not even taking an extra pair of shoes with me. The lowest temp for this trip will be 55 F tomorrow morning in Amsterdam which, for me, is tolerable for shorts and self wicking T and quickly warming to the 60s with highs up to 80.  Lots of biking and walking, but still taking long pants and shirts for dining out, although nothing fancy.

18 hours ago, lilybug said:

Yes, we are doing Belfast-Southampton the end of this month.  Our daughter lives outside London and right now, they are having summer weather but I think I'll prepare for both chilly and warm.

We live in the very north of England in the Lake District.The weather for the last 3 weeks as been very hot and only a couple of showers over the last month. We leave tomorrow for our cruise out of Barcelona and this heat wave will hopefully help us to acclimatise. Hopefully you will still get lovely weather on your cruise, even if it rains it shouldn’t be cold.I would take a brolly and a light jacket but also some summer clothes.Enjoy.

I’m very used to packing light (carry on only) for 4-5 day trips.  But a cruise…no moving from hotel to hotel to vehicle to train to airport…I bring my entire closet (well, that’s what it seems like, anyway).

We pack two days worth of clothing and our must-haves in a rollaboard that we carry on and everything else into a large (26? 27”?) checked bag.  We arrive a day or two before embarkation so use the carry on bag for that stay and don’t even open the big suitcase.

Once on board, I love unpacking and putting everything away.  I even enjoy going to the laundry room to iron wrinkled things!  Generally, I launder some things once or twice during the cruise. 

To pack for the return, the large suitcase has the dirty clothes and the rolling carry-on has clean clothes and non checkables.

Layers are always the best and that’s why you need to bring all of your clothes….plus, if your sister is feeding your cat, she might go through your closet at home and borrow things.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

What I love about cruising is I DON’T have to pack light!  🤣🤣 We are doing Scandinavia and expect a wide range of temperatures, so needing pants as well as shorts for touring, nice tops for dinners, sweaters and ponchos and layers, oh my. 

• Like 2

If not doing laundry I can pack less for a cruise in Northern Europe or Alaska than I can in the Caribbean as in the heat you really cannot wear stuff again. Also in cool areas I do not need shorts or more than one bathing suit for the ship. If  layering, the underlayer usually is able to be worn more than once as well as the outer layers if you do not spill stuff on them.

Since I have only had one time on a plane that I was hot then wearing the rain coat helps with packing. 

Julia

• Like 1