Oceania Champagne by the glass is well below average

Clutj

Okay, I know only a few are interested in this topic (but I do see references to it on this board every couple weeks), but I had really hoped that when Vista was rolled out that at least that ship would go back to a decent Champagne, like in the olden days.  The Germain is way too sweet and just … yuck.   Regent switched over to it the same time as Oceania, but there was a passenger revolt, and Regent changed back in a few short months.  Unfortunately, I think Regent then solved their problem by dumping all that they had purchased into Oceania!  And also unfortunately, there’s been no corresponding Champagne revolt by Oceania customers.  We’ve suffered long enough.  Who’s with me?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, grifdoglover said:

Is Germain all that is available?  I also do not like sweet wines (except port) and champagnes.

By the glass  probably

The do sell bottles of other brands

1 hour ago, grifdoglover said:

Is Germain all that is available?  I also do not like sweet wines (except port) and champagnes.

There is a Prosecco, also on the sweet side, and I recall another French but it is sparkling rather than from Champagne and I don’t recall what it is like.  Maybe Louis P-something…

1 hour ago, BarbaraM said:

Monopole was the only champagne offered by the glass on our March cruise on Marina. There were other sparkling wines.  No Germain

Monopole is the brand offered on sisterline Regent. Not too bad, although I am not a oenophile.

Currently on Vista. By the glass, it’s Germain or a Prosecco only. The Monopole is the wine provided for Concierge and above.

Definitely not a Germain fan. They were pouring it for free at the Cpt’s Reception and I dumped mine after a couple sips!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Currently on Vista. By the glass, it’s Germain or a Prosecco only. The Monopole is the wine provided for Concierge and above.

Definitely not a Germain fan. They were pouring it for free at the Cpt’s Reception and I dumped mine after a couple sips!

Sounds like the German is good only for Mimosas.  As someone who likes a glass of the bubbly pre-dinner, this is disappointing.

What’s amazing to me is Oceania provided the Germain back in the 2017-2018 timeframe and it was meet with nearly universal poor reviews. As I remember, in 2019 they finally poured out and a new bubbly was brought aboard. We didn’t have Germain on either our Oct 22 or Feb 23 cruise, but another far better brand. They now debut  their newest ship for review and reverted back to a plonk bubbly. I just don’t understand the move other than Germain gave them such an outstanding deal price wise they wouldn’t pass on it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 6/18/2023 at 12:45 AM, Clutj said:

There is a Prosecco, also on the sweet side, and I recall another French but it is sparkling rather than from Champagne and I don’t recall what it is like.  Maybe Louis P-something…

Probably what we can a "vin mousseux" - only because of the AOC for Champagne.  Like a California "champagne" which they shouldn't be calling that either...   Prosecco is also a vin mousseux.  

Germain was the only choice on Vista May 20th cruise- Monopole is the bottle you get in the cabin for Concierge and PH.

I have been harping on this ever since I saw the posters on Regent that managed to get  rid of Germain and probably got sent to O. I believe Hambagahle was posting on that thread. We used to have Montaudon which is okay and Perrier Jouet which I quite liked.  

Germain is so awful that even Total Wine won't stock it.

@Clutj  I will sign any petition you start 

On 6/17/2023 at 2:12 PM, Clutj said:

Okay, I know only a few are interested in this topic (but I do see references to it on this board every couple weeks), but I had really hoped that when Vista was rolled out that at least that ship would go back to a decent Champagne, like in the olden days.  The Germain is way too sweet and just … yuck.   Regent switched over to it the same time as Oceania, but there was a passenger revolt, and Regent changed back in a few short months.  Unfortunately, I think Regent then solved their problem by dumping all that they had purchased into Oceania!  And also unfortunately, there’s been no corresponding Champagne revolt by Oceania customers.  We’ve suffered long enough.  Who’s with me?

OMG!  Count me in for a mutiny, strike....whatever needs to be done to get a better champagne by the glass onboard!  Not sure if you are paying by the glass but I have been paying approx $58 per day to drink this stuff......and would love anything better!  Geez....even NCL serves Veuve by the glass in the French specialty restaurant...or at least they used to?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, cruisingxpert said:

The Monopole in the cabins is better than Germain.  If O won't get better champagne by the glass, how about switching?  Serve Monopole by the glass and stick the Germain in the cabins.

I believe Monopole is what Regent switched to.

I’m afraid that horse is out of the barn. If O is again serving Germain, after an absence of doing so, I’m afraid that means they bought a huge quantity of it to enjoy for a long time! 😢

11 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

I’m afraid that horse is out of the barn. If O is again serving Germain, after an absence of doing so, I’m afraid that means they bought a huge quantity of it to enjoy for a long time! 😢

When have they served anything else, recently?  It's been Germain on all my cruises in the past few years.  July 22  Dec 22 and May23 

Just now, cruisingxpert said:

When have they served anything else, recently?  It's been Germain on all my cruises in the past few years.  July 22  Dec 22 and May23 

It was not served on the Marina in Feb/March 23. 

Germain  about $21 per 750 ml  retail and Monopole about $40 per 750 ml retail.  Pure economics.  You can get a nice Roederer  Brut (CA) for $24 retail in high tax Oregon if you buy 6+.  I mean aren't we worth spending an extra buck or two especially with O's buying power 🙃

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

Cheap, sweet champagne is a disgrace. I just do not understand who decides where to cut corners that they believe it won’t really be noticed. 

Indeed.  Generally anything with a dosage in excess of 3-3.5g is too much.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...