Tracking Device for Child on Vision of the Seas?

27 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

The only harm it could cause, IMO, is if it gives the user a false sense of security.  

Also a panick attack if provides false information.  

Basically, it does no good for something so important if you can’t rely on it.  It’s one thing to use for tracking a bag.  If it’s wrong for a while, potentially no big deal.  Not so with the life of a child.  

• Like 3

My two liked to run off in different directions when they started testing their power at 3 years old. Decent spankings and making them sit a chair looking at a wall for punishment helped. I also made them wear awful animal backpacks with leashes on them in public. 

Lord help the child that runs and doesn’t stop when I tell them to. 

• Like 1

I've seen them run. First day onboard. Mom, dad and toddler were up checking out the pool deck. And the toddler just started jetting towards the pool. I made a sharp left to intercept him, but his mom noticed very quickly and ran and grabbed him. They are fast. (I don't think I would want to be that responsible for one) 

If you're not runners, maybe send the 6-year old after him. ☺️

Edited by Coralc
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, HappyTexan44 said:

That was my husband.   He had an actual dog leash because the cute backpacks weren't a thing then.  The breaking point was when he went for a stroll on a ledge that went all around this public building at the third story.   He was 3 or 4 and has vague memories of wondering why all those adults on the ground were freaking out.  

On the ships, you have to actively try to go overboard.  I could see a wandering 3-year-old actively trying.  

This was my daughter, although fortunately she never found quite the level of danger your husband did.  When we went on a cruise when my kids were 4, I had massive anxiety any time we were anywhere near the ships railing and mostly stayed on the interior of the ship.  We went to Alaska, so spent a couple days in Seattle before the cruise.  We were at the top of the space needle for approximately 30 seconds because there is a toddler sized opening between the bottom railing and the railing that comes down and she was definitely capable of scaling that railing in the time it would take me to handle whatever her brother distracted me with.  That was with a leash on her because she was crafty and quick.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

If the bolded is true, the grandkids should never leave the house.  

I'm not sure how well a tracker would even work.  Even airpods MIGHT tell you if the tracker is in front, behind, or to either side, but won't tell you above or below.  AND that's assuming an iPhone is within range AND connected to the internet.  To say nothing about if the ship is moving.  

Would a tracker "help"?  Maybe.  If the child is an "escape artist" or a "runner", then I would suggest one of the leash options.  Heck, we experimented with a child fanny pack, a D-ring on the belt of the fanny pack, and a retractable pet leash when our oldest was small.   

Wasn't 2 when my Sister was newborn. Mom would get call I was 2 houses down at my Aunts. Or from corner store 2 blocks away at the Grocery Store where I'd parked my Trike at the loading docks with the trucks and was in store pushing around one the small kid carts. Was tied to a tree with a 6ft leash and at times to my Bed. Stuff that wouldn't fly now 

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, HappyTexan44 said:

His twin nieces did something almost as bad as toddlers.   In public, they'd take off their clothes and run laughing in opposite directions.  Their mother started using Duck Tape on their clothes.  

My cousin used to do that.  My aunt would put her out in the front porch when she was having a tantrum.  Adorna would strip naked & Aunt Mary would come running with a bath towel.  We thought it was genius and hysterical!

• Like 1

Before my son could reliably give information, we’d use the printable removable tattoos to put our contact info on him in case he got separated, just before any major trip. Parents’ phone numbers, cabin info, whatever we had pertinent to that trip. Thankfully we never ended up needing it, but it was some peace of mind to know he had our contact info on him in a not easily removable way, just in case. I bet you can still find the tattoo paper on Amazon and it works on any regular printer, no special inks needed.

• Like 2

On 6/23/2023 at 5:58 PM, Dizzly said:

Before my son could reliably give information, we’d use the printable removable tattoos to put our contact info on him in case he got separated, just before any major trip. Parents’ phone numbers, cabin info, whatever we had pertinent to that trip. Thankfully we never ended up needing it, but it was some peace of mind to know he had our contact info on him in a not easily removable way, just in case. I bet you can still find the tattoo paper on Amazon and it works on any regular printer, no special inks needed.

Just go to petco and get dog tags (my kids let our dog off leash hiking and we got a phone call from a home owner in the next town, my kids had dog tags at WDW).

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Iamthesea said:

How did you attach these dog tags to your children?

Actually our first family cruise was right after a WDW vacation, they had dog tag chains for their dog tags with our information in case they got lost.

• Thanks 1

How about keeping an eye on your 3 YEAR OLD grandson on a ship full of strangers? Maybe hold his hand, so he doesn't run away? I would not advise any parent or grandparent to let their children have free run of any cruise ship. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, 95south said:

How about keeping an eye on your 3 YEAR OLD grandson on a ship full of strangers? Maybe hold his hand, so he doesn't run away? I would not advise any parent or grandparent to let their children have free run of any cruise ship. 

You seriously think that a grandmother would let her 3 year old grandchild have the run of the ship?!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, 95south said:

The way it was worded, YES sure seems that way. 

Not to me, I read it as a very cautious grandparent who wants to take every precaution possible to make sure no harm comes to her grandson, cruise ships can be a scary thought for parents/grandparents of small kids, with the crowds, pools, in an ocean with open decks.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, 95south said:

The way it was worded, YES sure seems that way. 

Kids run off... it gets hectic, crowded and sometimes a kid wonders away. Of course grandmom is going to do her best to keep an eye on the kids, but sometimes kids get slippery and walk away. 

• Like 2

I had thought about the tag, but in addition to the cost of WiFi, apparently it would be hard to use a gps in the ocean on a moving ship. Plus the metal in the ship would block a lot of signals. Sadly, I think this whole idea would not work very well. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Scottdalfonso said:

Kids run off... it gets hectic, crowded and sometimes a kid wonders away. Of course grandmom is going to do her best to keep an eye on the kids, but sometimes kids get slippery and walk away. 

My son started that at the age of 2.5 or so. Actually much younger. He would try and escape the carriage before he could walk, that was a challenge too. I used a handholder leash. We each had it on a wrist and it had a spiral cord attached between the two. He was a smarty, he'd wait until I had to pick up his infant sister and bolt. Always when you least expected it. People bashed you for using these items, people accuse you of not paying attention. I say poop on them. My kid was safer and lived to tell it. 

• Like 4