Formal nights

3 hours ago, sollan said:

To my knowledge I have not said that I will be detracted from any kind of experience based on what people wear? 

You wrote: “I miss the formal nights.” So I was simply saying to dress in the way that makes you happy, and not let the (more casual) dress of others take away from your enjoyment of the evening. 😀

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, cruiseej said:

You wrote: “I miss the formal nights.” So I was simply saying to dress in the way that makes you happy, and not let the (more casual) dress of others take away from your enjoyment of the evening. 😀

To some extent you can, but only within limits. If everyone else is wear jeans and shirts, I don't know too many people who would want to put on a tuxedo, or a dark suit, or ball gown, etc. and sit in a dining room that is otherwise casual.

Part of the allure of formal nights is that everyone is dressed to the nines, looking (hopefully) fantastic in their finest.  It adds an elegance to the evening.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, difranco said:

Unfortunately the denim police are letting the ladies slacks and top combination pass under the radar. The charity shop look is now common place on mot cruises. IMHO.

@difranco Now I'm genuinely confused.   What is "the charity shop look"?!

FWIW, we once took a trip to The (Once/Not-So) Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island, and their jackets-at-dinner policy didn’t guarantee that half the people’s clothes weren’t forty years old and didn’t smell like mothballs. That experience soured us on formal nights. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rothko1 said:

To some extent you can, but only within limits. If everyone else is wear jeans and shirts, I don't know too many people who would want to put on a tuxedo, or a dark suit, or ball gown, etc. and sit in a dining room that is otherwise casual.

Part of the allure of formal nights is that everyone is dressed to the nines, looking (hopefully) fantastic in their finest.  It adds an elegance to the evening.

Well I have never been on a Regent cruise that everybody or even somebodies were dressed in jeans and shirts….maybe the odd black jeans hidden under a sports coat. Really not much denim seen even on the ladies.

The dress in Regent dinning rooms look like most really nice restaurants in any big city most any night…. Properly dressed in nice casual outfits up to the suit and tie and even a tux and cocktail dresses,  maybe couples celebrating with a cake. We are very comfortable wearing fancy clothes if in the mood any night. If you have to have forced formal nights with everyone dressed like for you to to enjoy wearing your fancy clothes many lines still have that including at least one lux line (at least I think). Thankfully Regent does not. 

Edited by cwn
  • Like 3

On 7/5/2023 at 4:55 PM, PhD-iva said:

Hmmm. I enjoy “dress up” and am on a 17-day South American cruise. Already have to pack A TON of clothes for the range of weather possibilities in that region. 
My question: are pax more casual given the itinerary or perhaps it makes no difference?

I will almost certainly use this as “an excuse” to get some use out of clothes I otherwise would never have a reason to wear. We are very casual around here…

We sailed Regent's Rome to Rio cruise and did not see any significant difference in dress from start to finish.  Mostly elegant casual.

• Like 2

I was on Splendor for a TA crossing last year.  It was our 20 year wedding anniversary so we decided to dress up a few nights. My husband wore a tux and I wore a sparkly outfit.  

And it was so darling, as the cruise went on, other couples came up to us and said, “we brought formal wear and now that we see you guys wearing it, we will dress up also!”   Some of the gentlemen even said, “I brought a bow tie but didn’t know if I would feel comfortable wearing it and now I plan to wear it.”  

Well by the end of the cruise there were a lot of people dolled up.  

It’s ABSOLUTELY not required and people looked elegant in whatever evening wear they chose within the after 6pm dress code.    

I think because it was a TA, there was something epic about the journey.   That said, on our upcoming Caribbean cruise on Mariner, we are going to stick with evening appropriate but not formal wear.  

Bottom line - it depends on you and your itinerary to make it your best trip, and people do not judge.   Just look elegant and comfortable and you will do just fine.  

IMG_1703.thumb.jpeg.2bbbc07cce94c78172b412d006b386ac.jpeg

Edited by VegasTW
  • Like 11

2 hours ago, VegasTW said:

I was on Splendor for a TA crossing last year.  It was our 20 year wedding anniversary so we decided to dress up a few nights. My husband wore a tux and I wore a sparkly outfit.  

And it was so darling, as the cruise went on, other couples came up to us and said, “we brought formal wear and now that we see you guys wearing it, we will dress up also!”   Some of the gentlemen even said, “I brought a bow tie but didn’t know if I would feel comfortable wearing it and now I plan to wear it.”  

It’s ABSOLUTELY not required and people looked elegant in whatever evening wear they chose within the after 6pm dress code.    

I think because it was a TA, there was something epic about the journey.   That said, on our upcoming Caribbean cruise on Mariner, we are going to stick with evening appropriate but not formal wear.  

Bottom line - it depends on you and your itinerary to make it your best trip, and people do not judge.   Just look elegant and comfortable and you will do just fine.  

What a handsome couple. 😘 You guys look great!

• Like 3

Just got off Regent Voyager 12 night cruise in Europe. Definitely no formal might, Every night was elegant casual. 

Gentlemen: I saw very few suits, jackets or ties.  I wore sport coats and ties occasionally and looked overdressed (except according to my wife). You are more likely to see jackets or ties in the specialty restaurants. 

Ladies: it’s okay to dress up if you want to. Some of the woman on my cruise looked stunning, my fife included. But there were plenty of pantsuits. 

That much said, the no shorts or jeans after 6:00 is enforced. 

We overpacked for me with two sport coats and four ties. 

Don’t forget: FREE LAUNDRY SERVICE. Take advantage of it and pack less. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, VegasTW said:

Bravo!

I love the laundry service, makes it so easy to travel carry-on only. 

We definitely dress smartly in the evenings, slacks and dress casual resort shirts. Like "casual Fridays" at work. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Resurrecting this thread with a question for all you seasoned RSSC people...

We're on a 16-night Panama Canal Grandeur cruise in January so there are two formal (optional) nights. Just found out when the formal nights are (thanks CC roll call) - we're actually booked into Chartreuse and Pacific Rim respectively on both these nights.

Does Compass Rose put on an extra special menu during formal nights? Should we be looking to move our specialty reservations? No other time slots available now so we'll have to ask once on board.

This is the definition of formal night on Regents website

"On sailings of 16 nights or more, Formal and Semi-Formal attire is optional on two of the evenings. On the two Formal Optional evenings, guests are welcome to dress as per the elegant Casual dress code or opt for a more formal choice of clothing including gowns and cocktail dresses for ladies; tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits with tie for gentlemen."

https://www.rssc.com/frequently-asked-questions/onboard

In our experience people respect the elegant Casual dress code, we have never seen people wearing jeans or t-shirts.   

Really nothing special about the menu and if you do miss something in the CR that you want just order it for another night. People tend to dress a little more in the specialities on any night.

5 hours ago, MsMermaid said:

Do people not dress formal for Christmas and New  Years cruises anymore?

There was some cocktail wear on the Navigator on Christmas Day and NYs , but many people still wore the Country club casual…..nice shirt and slacks like my husband and I wore a velvet skirt with silk top. I was lmiddle the road dress. We were on the Splendor just before the.Christmas cruise and it was the same. Just wear what you enjoy for the holidays. Don’t worry about anyone else.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I am curious about this, though I guess it really seems not to matter.  I will be on an 18 night cruise so if the above posts are still current, there will be one or two formal optional nights.  Are these announced somewhere in advance of the cruise or is it something just announced in Passages on the specific day?

Mariner will NOT be Formal Optional for this New Year's Eve.  😒  I guess they are keeping with Captain's Farewell instead of making the sensible change.  Also, this is one of the first times we have had New Year's Eve indoors instead of on the Pool Deck; at least for dancing.  630 people in Horizon Lounge should get interesting.

Edited by mrlevin

I just got my long-neglected evening wear out of the closet today and tried it on to make sure it still fit post-pandemic.  I don't care if others are country club casual or whatever but I will be glamming it up a couple of nights, one in a strapless gown with a train, a one-shoulder sequined dress with a thigh-high slit (that one's new, actually purchased just for my birthday!) and more.  Hubby just got his new tux fitted (old one wasn't looking so hot any more) and a custom made shirt.  Now all I need is a new pair of shoes!  (And maybe some birthday jewelry, to my husband, if you're reading this!)

• Like 7

Bruce61:

Yes.  Formal Optional Nights are delineated on, initially, your "Preliminary Vacation Summary" received directly from Regent and/or via your Travel Advisor.  There will be a "F" mark on the far right of "Cruise Itinerary" portion for those Formal Optional Nights. 

The standard over the past several years has been:  cruise segments of 16 or more "at sea" days will have two such "F" designations, irrespective of itinerary.  Hot or cold; Atlantic, Pacific, 'Carib, or 'Med.  

Usually--usually: such are second day at sea on night of Captain's Reception; and on penultimate night, again, usually associated w/"Krew Kapers" and Captain's Farewell Reception.

And, there will be reminders posted, appropriately, in "Passages" as there are for each night for appropriate 1800H + attire in public venues and restaurants.

-----

the_dylaness: 

OUTSTANDING!, as we used to say in the Military. 

We dress to acknowledge respect for Regent's level of service (over these past 20+ years).  Good Army wife and self will be so-clothed on the two "F" nights on our upcoming January-February Mariner segment--San Francisco via Hawaii to Polynesia.  Have checked my tux; still fits, more or less. 

Best to all; and safe travels.  

GOARMY!

Edited by GOARMY
Context.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We have been in grandeur since Barcelona 

on crossing formal nights there were more tuxes than I expected to see but most were elegant casual 

the 7 day Caribbean leg was all elegant casual with a few slobs mixed in

now on the Panama Canal leg we are back to elegant casual. A few ladies are overdressed (imo) nightly but live and let live. Tonight is of course New Year’s Eve. Might be a tux or 2 on board 

there is no reason to get dressed up or even for men to bring a sport jacket unless you want to. Those folks are definitely in the minority 

On Mariner and have seen a complete variety of styles for ladies from glitter and sparkle to T-shirts and cardigans. The same for men, although have also seen 3 different men completely out of dress code - 2 in the dining room with sweaters/sweatshirts and jeans and cargo pants. Last night in the theatre a man was wearing shorts…….

• Like 1