Caribbean Cruises

Suntanz

Ok, I know this is going to sound silly, but I have been on 9 cruises and all have been to Eastern and Western Caribbean cruises. I really enjoy the different beaches and the price makes these islands very affordable as I live on the East Coast. I do really enjoy the cruising experience and some ports I do excursions and some I just take a cab to a beach.

My questions is am I missing something? I would love to cruise Hawaii but just getting there increases the price significantly, not to mention its a more expensive cruise. I also have considered Europe, but again, flying there increases the price, plus I would most likely have to do excursions at most if not all ports.

Any help would be great.

7 minutes ago, Suntanz said:

Ok, I know this is going to sound silly, but I have been on 9 cruises and all have been to Eastern and Western Caribbean cruises. I really enjoy the different beaches and the price makes these islands very affordable as I live on the East Coast. I do really enjoy the cruising experience and some ports I do excursions and some I just take a cab to a beach.

My questions is am I missing something? I would love to cruise Hawaii but just getting there increases the price significantly, not to mention its a more expensive cruise. I also have considered Europe, but again, flying there increases the price, plus I would most likely have to do excursions at most if not all ports.

Any help would be great.

Wife and I cruise like  you.  We've done nine caribbean cruises and one alaska.  We cancelled another Alaska because it's such a pain to get to Seatle.  We have two Caribbean cruises booked.  We often don't even get off the ship, let alone go on excursions.  We just like being on a ship.

• Like 3

We're sort of in the same boat. We don't do Hawaii cruises because we prefer more time on land there than a cruise allows (that's just us). Plus, we often get free stays in condos there. We would consider a Hawaii cruise that started or ended in French Polynesia. They're cheaper, and we want to see Bora Bora, but the airfare is much more expensive. We may do a European cruise some day. We lived in Europe for several years, and travelled there quite a bit, but there's plenty of places I'd still like to see. We can probably get free flights on a military hop for that. Time will tell. As always, it depends on your personal budget, and what value you place on the available experiences.

35 minutes ago, Suntanz said:

I also have considered Europe, but again, flying there increases the price

I would at least prefer Europe to Hawaii. Pricewise it shouldn`t make any big difference.

• Like 1

Do you cruise basically for the beaches? If so, have you tried Bermuda? If not, New England/Canada is a great cruise out of New York.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, omahabob said:

Water's cold in Bermuda. Take your wetsuit.

I'm not a beach guy. You'll find me at the Tiki bar. But I do know that Mrs. RB rarely goes in the water when she goes to the beach.  I guess I don't know why.

2 minutes ago, omahabob said:

Water's cold in Bermuda. Take your wetsuit.

🤣 the average water temperature in Bermuda is way above wetsuit temperatures. It averages at 23C, the highest I’ve ever experienced in Ireland is 22C which was extremely unusual and only lasted a couple of days. For swimming any open water competition(swim or triathlon) with a water temperature that high bans wetsuit. The only reason for a wetsuit at that temp is if you’re diving! (Or in my case violently allergic to jellyfish, even then I’d use Lycra at that temperature) 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Suntanz said:

Any help would be great.

In Europe you can do a fair bit of exploring on your own if you research properly, depending on the port you can use relatively cheap public transport, or find a local tour company that will be half the price of the cruise excursion with a lot more flexibility. Icelandair offers budget transatlantic flights and sometimes allow a free stopover in Iceland for a day or two. 
My flights to Seattle from Ireland are costing under €800 return with a checked bag & 2 carry-ons via Boston with Aer Lingus & Alaska Airlines/Jet Blue.  

• Like 2

If you never been to Hawaii, a cruise is a great way to see it. European cruises are a little more affordable and a great way to see multiple countries. Treat yourself to a Grand Mediterranean cruise, you'll enjoy it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Suntanz said:

Any help would be great.

I would say take a look at cruises in the Mediterranean. Views are amazing, good weather and lots of every walkable (easy ports). If the airfare is that much of an issue - maybe a Transatlantic from somewhere in the Med with a few ports and then back to the US or vice versa. They are quite cost effective and also limits your longer flights to just one way.

• Like 1

keep checking airline fares. they go up and go down. we're on the b2b awn on july 27th, and got a nonstop direct flight from los angeles to london heatrow, business class at 1300 per person .

thinking about iceland in sept, round trip l.a. to reykjavik london to los angeles is $ 2100 per couple, delta comfort. i never tell anyone how to spend their money, but ncl travels to some of the most beautiful cities in the world, and i think youre doing yourself a disservice by not checking it out.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, eileeshb said:

🤣 the average water temperature in Bermuda is way above wetsuit temperatures. It averages at 23C, the highest I’ve ever experienced in Ireland is 22C...

That may be warm compared to Ireland, but it isn't warm.

For many years I was thrilled just going to the Caribbean - I love going to the beach. Then we did Hawaii, Alaska and New England. Liked them all and saw much more of the country. For me, getting to any cruise port means a flight or a multi-day drive with hotel stays. Some ports are less expensive to get to than others, and I still like the beach and do the Caribbean much more often than other destinations.

Have you tried the Panama Canal cruise - a partial that goes in and comes back out?

Instead of a partial transit through Panama Canal I would recommend a full transit. I started in Seattle last October and ended in Miami 20 days later. I would also suggest taking a smaller ship so you can go through the old locks. I do like getting away from the New England cold and usually do a B2B in February either out of Puerto Rico or Florida as a week is not enough.

2 hours ago, RB9643 said:

Do you cruise basically for the beaches? If so, have you tried Bermuda? If not, New England/Canada is a great cruise out of New York.

Yes, I went to Bermuda last summer. I did enjoy it. I do enjoy the beaches, but do like to explore some too.

3 hours ago, Suntanz said:

Any help would be great.

Personally I really like Caribbean cruises. Are there more scenic cruises like Hawaii and Europe...you bet! Assuming you are in Charlotte you are in the sweet spot as far as being a days drive to NYC or a days drive to Florida Ports. I am at the point in my life where I will be happy if I never need to fly anywhere again.  One thing to consider about Caribbean cruises is there are longer ones at times. We will be taking Getaway out of NYC on a 15 day cruise in November and this is the Itinerary which is really hard to beat.

Capture.PNG

• Like 6

From Charlotte you should be able to get a cheaper round trip to LA. From there you can do a Mexican Riviera cruise.  Some very nice beaches, and PV and Mazatlan are interesting as well. Winter time means whale watching that you don't get on Caribbean cruises.

3 hours ago, Suntanz said:

Any help would be great.

Your analysis is spot on. Consider a Mexican Riviera cruise. The cruise is on the cheaper side, but you do have to make your way to Los Angeles/Orange County. Consider a Bermuda cruise (out of NYC or Boston), even look for a 5-day Bermuda, just to go to somewhere different. And then there are the New England cruises (out of NYC, Boston or Baltimore), a more pricy, but a change of scenery. 

Hawaii cruises are expensive and it a long way from the East Cost. 

European cruises are moderate in cost, but cost a few bucks to get there. 

Alaska cruises are over priced and it costs in time and money to get there. 

Asia, Australia/New Zeeland more than Hawaii on all counts.  

Red-Sol, that's more akin to a 7 day cruise out of Florida to me, due to the transit time from NY and back. But really, it just depends on personal preference for the cruising experience and the itinerary. If you enjoy days at sea, that extra transit time can be an advantage rather than a detractor. I have no interest in Aruba whatsoever, and little interest in Curacao. I'm more interested in lush tropical geography, so a southeastern Caribbean itinerary is far more appealing to me (and part of your cruise qualifies there). That's also more akin to Hawaii. Again, personal preference. Everyone decides what most matters to them, and if the costs are worth it.

Edited by omahabob
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Red-Sol said:

Personally I really like Caribbean cruises. Are there more scenic cruises like Hawaii and Europe...you bet! Assuming you are in Charlotte you are in the sweet spot as far as being a days drive to NYC or a days drive to Florida Ports. I am at the point in my life where I will be happy if I never need to fly anywhere again.  One thing to consider about Caribbean cruises is there are longer ones at times. We will be taking Getaway out of NYC on a 15 day cruise in November and this is the Itinerary which is really hard to beat.

Capture.PNG

Looks like a great cruise!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, omahabob said:

Red-Sol, that's more akin to a 7 day cruise out of Florida to me, due to the transit time from NY and back. But really, it just depends on personal preference for the cruising experience and the itinerary. If you enjoy days at sea, that extra transit time can be an advantage rather than a detractor. I have no interest in Aruba whatsoever, and little interest in Curacao. I'm more interested in lush tropical geography, so a southeastern Caribbean itinerary is far more appealing to me. That's also more akin to Hawaii. Again, personal preference. Everyone decides what most matters to them, and if the costs are worth it.

Exactly! Everyone has different likes and dislikes and that doesn't mean that anyone is wrong. As an example we really like Curacao mostly due to the color of the architecture. You find all the bright Caribbean pastel shades there. Aruba though? Not so much.

Edited by Red-Sol