What is a hoodie?

shipgeeks

Hoodies are mentioned a lot, especially in reference to Alaska and Canada/New England cruises.  I'm realizing that different people have different ideas of what a hoodie is.  

I think of a grey heavy cotton pullover, hugely oversized, with a hood, and perhaps a sports team logo; what we wore over pajama bottoms and scruffy slippers during the lockdown.  I might wear one outside to rake the leaves, but not to go to the grocery store.

Kristelle, in Australia, has reassured me that a hoodie can be a trim, well-fitting zip-up fleece with a hood, quite suitable for public wear, and practical for less-than-perfect weather.

What do you think?  Is it a regional thing?

what you are describing in OP sounds to me like an oodie - which was a trademark, so various copycats brought out similar with different names. However here in Australia oodie has become a generic lay person name for one of any brand

here they are mostly patterned - with sports teams, cartoon characters, other cute patterns - see pic below.

Mostly worn over pyjamas or at least at home to keep warm, occasionally seen in public in very casual setting (walking the dog etc) - but to me that would be equivalent of wearing a dressing gown in public, might do so to  put bin out on kerb but not in general public settings

Hoodies are like my previous picture of purple hoodie - re posted here for everyone else- and worn in public all the time for any casual setting - eg on cruise excursions but probably not out to dinner

Examples of Oodie and Hoodie, in my Australian understanding of words

c004eb544a902833b4d716b01a46ea26.jpg oodie.jpg

a4a2230d-17dc-4c3f-a39c-52a07178f6c9_1.6102f67a57c9aa7cd9a325ad98d3d2e9.jpeg

I live in the Southern portion of the USA, and hoodies are super-popular among my high school students.  It's probably the #1 clothing item for my students (and has been for more than a decade).  

Since our climate is so moderate, these are winter-wear for us.  As an adult, I'd wear a hoodie to a fall football game or a fall hike -- something like the red hoodie below, but with my school mascot.  I occasionally wear one to school on Friday, especially if it's a football game day or if we have a pep rally.  It's considered poor form to wear the hood "up" indoors, but I think I look cute with a hoodie and a little pony tail.  

Hoodies can be any color, but many people wear "team colors".  They can be oversized, but -- in my experience -- are usually fitted.  When most people say "hoodie", they mean no zipper; the same sweatshirt with a full zipper is usually termed a "jacket".  They can be made of thin tee-shirt material or thick, fluffy material, but sweatshirt material is most common.  

Screenshot 2023-07-14 7.10.31 PM.png

Edited by Mum2Mercury
  • Like 3

I have never seen a thing like Kristelle is showing.  Funny that we both picked the same purple hoodie as an example.  

My daughter has an oversized hoodie, but it is "fitted" at the top like the red example I showed ... and it's long and straight like a tunic /covers her butt /looks cute with leggings and short boots.

Edited by Mum2Mercury

probably the purple one just the first ladies one that comes up on google images 😉

very interesting discussion

to me, hoodie can be zipped or not, would still call it a hoodie and yes usually sweatshirt (windcheater) material

those oodies have been a popular thing in Australia for year or so - very thick fleecy interior and over sized like in pic.

I have one myself - not intending to take on cruise 😉

I have all sorts of hoodies.  Sweatshirt hoodies, wool sweater hoodies, thin sunscreen hoodies, thin wool hoodies, sleeveless hoodies...   I have hoodies that are nice enough to wear at work.  

What I saw in Alaska - mostly the sweatshirt hoodies.  

• Like 1

To me, a "hoodie" is any sort of top with a hood. There are cashmere hoodies, cable-knit hoodies, t-shirt hoodies, and rash-guard hoodies in addition to the old "standard athletic" sweatshirt hoodie or fleece hoodie. They can be fitted or not, depending on the prevailing style.

Cashmere hoodie:

image.png.822afd199e1ebb858481abe650e35790.png 

Tee shirt hoodie:

image.png.949fb62d324f3ce2d868af00516cef72.png

Another point of clarification is that I think people get confused by the term "fleece". To older people (for example my mom), "fleece" would mean the soft brushed inner lining of an old standby heavy cotton sweatshirt or sweatpants. But younger people, when they talk about "fleece" are usually referring to that polyester "Polartec" material that is lighter and stretchier.  The latter type can be lined with a windbreaker-type fabric or not and comes in various weights from thin (which I prefer for layering) to quite thick and almost shaggy looking.

Heavy cotton sweatshirt hoodie with brushed fleece lining:

image.png.f0c652928a8902e7cae5bc9bf4264492.png

Polartec fleece hoodie:

image.thumb.png.c5d8b594aa9527638e042f2b77043f3d.png 

• Like 4

I have a few different types of hoodies - sweatshirt type, a merino wool one.  This stretch fleece one from LL Bean is my absolute favorite as it’s shaped, has thumbholes, and 2 zipped pockets.  It’s a good midweight so I get a lot of wear out of it most of the year here.  I have it in the heather charcoal color. I save the heavy sweatshirts for January and February.

IMG_1616.jpeg

IMG_1618.jpeg

• Like 3

21 hours ago, katmu said:

I have a few different types of hoodies - sweatshirt type, a merino wool one.  This stretch fleece one from LL Bean is my absolute favorite as it’s shaped, has thumbholes, and 2 zipped pockets.  It’s a good midweight so I get a lot of wear out of it most of the year here.  I have it in the heather charcoal color. I save the heavy sweatshirts for January and February.

IMG_1616.jpeg

IMG_1618.jpeg

I have this exact same hoodie from LL Bean and love it for all the same reasons.  It gets a lot of use both on cruises and just in general.

• Like 1

In my part of the world, hoodies are ALWAYS pull-overs with a hood and a big pouch-like pocket that is not flattering on anyone.  If it zips and has a hood, it's just a jacket.  I don't own a hoodie but I have lots of jackets.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, neeuqdrazil said:

In central Canada, they're called Bunny Hugs. 

That's definitely a Saskatchewan thing. 😂

In Alberta (that's western Canada for those who aren't familiar with Canada), hoodies are pullovers with hoods. If there's a zipper, it's not a hoodie.

We also call them Kangaroo jackets. 

Edited by mrgabriel
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...
On 7/14/2023 at 2:20 PM, shipgeeks said:

Hoodies are mentioned a lot, especially in reference to Alaska and Canada/New England cruises.  I'm realizing that different people have different ideas of what a hoodie is.  

I think of a grey heavy cotton pullover, hugely oversized, with a hood, and perhaps a sports team logo; what we wore over pajama bottoms and scruffy slippers during the lockdown.  I might wear one outside to rake the leaves, but not to go to the grocery store.

Kristelle, in Australia, has reassured me that a hoodie can be a trim, well-fitting zip-up fleece with a hood, quite suitable for public wear, and practical for less-than-perfect weather.

What do you think?  Is it a regional thing?

Both can be true. The sweatshirt and the running layer.

I’ve had both over the decades. I prefer the closer fit so that a proper coat can fit over. Think sweater or jumper rather than jacket.

On 7/18/2023 at 10:18 AM, Kristelle said:

kangaroo pockets we call them here - cruisemom42 showed a small picture of a green one above.

I quite like them, I don't think they are unflattering

Ditto as a farmer i find the pouches so useful for carrying all sorts of stuff, meds for animals, knife, rope, phone etc.  I have work ones and 'good' ones for travelling or excursions. 

9 hours ago, 2BACRUISER said:

Ditto as a farmer i find the pouches so useful for carrying all sorts of stuff, meds for animals, knife, rope, phone etc.  I have work ones and 'good' ones for travelling or excursions. 

I love them.  I have some that I do wear for work.  I'm running around my condo lodge all the time and I have to take the Front Desk iPhone with me and the master keys.  The pouches are perfect.  When I travel I always have at least one hoodie with me.   I just bought a new hoodie to take to Palm Springs to wear when we go out in the evening (in December and not cold enough for a jacket).  It'll go into my work rotation when I get back.  

We all have such diverse ideas as to what is acceptable to wear to the grocery store, restaurants, cruises vs in the privacy of your home and garden.  It's what keeps things interesting.  

It's finally cooled down enough here (highs in the 50s and a few 40s) that I can bring out my hoodies (and my leggings)!!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/14/2023 at 7:18 PM, Mum2Mercury said:

I have never seen a thing like Kristelle is showing.  Funny that we both picked the same purple hoodie as an example.  

Responding to my own post.  I saw one of those big Hershey's kiss shaped hoodies!  One of my most fashionable students -- seriously, the girl always looks great and dresses like she's a CEO ready to present to the board, even though she's a high school sophomore -- wore one to school!  It looked awful on her.  I 'bout fell over, but my Mamaw taught me when to keep my mouth shut.  

On 7/15/2023 at 10:17 PM, katmu said:

has thumbholes

What is it about those thumb holes that we all love?  

On 7/18/2023 at 5:18 AM, Kristelle said:

I quite like them, I don't think they are unflattering

Nah, if they fit well and the pocket isn't full of stuff, they look nice.  

On 7/19/2023 at 10:02 AM, neeuqdrazil said:

In central Canada, they're called Bunny Hugs. 

That's so cute! 

• Like 1

My newest hoodie to wear to work, Palm Springs winter trip, around town.  Light and satiny soft outside and a little bit of cozy inside.  Long enough to wear with leggings, jeans, pants, skirts, etc.  The hood is tan inside with more of the flowers on it.  Pretty girly for me, but it called to me.

IMG_2354.jpeg

IMG_2356.jpeg

Edited by slidergirl
  • Like 5

57 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

My newest hoodie to wear to work, Palm Springs winter trip, around town.  Light and satiny soft outside and a little bit of cozy inside.  Long enough to wear with leggings, jeans, pants, skirts, etc.  The hood is tan inside with more of the flowers on it.  Pretty girly for me, but it called to me.

IMG_2354.jpeg

IMG_2356.jpeg

That’s cute!

@slidergirl LOVE that hoodie!! I appreciate a good hoodie...one of the things that I like about a zip up hoodie is the fact that I can partially zip it up...my bust line is out of proportion to my shoulders and so things that fit my bust are generally sloppy and add additional pounds that I seriously don't need added OR if it fits the shoulders, too tight on the bust...and it does that get stuck thing above the bust line when you lift your arms. The zipper helps because I can just zip up to under the bust...

• Like 1

My Long Covid/Rybelsus weight loss has also taken some of my boobs away so I don't have the bust issue I used to.  One plus, I guess 😉

Not embellished, but the Woolx Callie hoodie is nice,  Softer than a sweatshirt hoodie but heftier than just a sweater hoodie.  I've got 2 of them.  I have a couple of old Athleta hoodie sweaters too.   I'll poke around some of my usual spots.

Cool and snow/rain today.  Ugh.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, slidergirl said:

My Long Covid/Rybelsus weight loss has also taken some of my boobs away so I don't have the bust issue I used to.  One plus, I guess 😉

Not embellished, but the Woolx Callie hoodie is nice,  Softer than a sweatshirt hoodie but heftier than just a sweater hoodie.  I've got 2 of them.  I have a couple of old Athleta hoodie sweaters too.   I'll poke around some of my usual spots.

Cool and snow/rain today.  Ugh.  

I’ve lost some of my boobs and tops are fitting better too as I’ve lost weight. Other benefit was once I lost 30lb I noticed lumps on my breast, thankfully non cancerous and no worry but had it not been for loosing the weight I wouldn’t have noticed.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...