Celebrity Caribbean cruisers, I need the benefit of your experiences...

dlh015

Generally, before I book a cruise, I look to see how many ships will be in the port on a particular day on the itinerary. While looking at cruises (not just X I might add), I notice that in early 2024, many ports look to be incredibly packed. One standout is Cozumel as an example. When the Apex arrives there on Feb 7th, it looks like there will be 9 ships (including the Apex) at the port! A potential crowd of like 32 thousand (if they were all full). 

Are the ferries to Playa Del Carmen able handle crowds like that? In contrast, when the Apex arrives on April 17th, there are 3 ships in port for like 14k if full.

Have any of you experienced crowds like that and seen how they affect excursions both ship-sponsored and private?? Do some cruise ships directly tender to Playa Del Carmen??

I thank you for your observations and please forgive this 1st timer for this itinerary if I seem a little alarmed. Obviously a lot of folks are getting back on board (pun intended). 

18 minutes ago, dlh015 said:

Are the ferries to Playa Del Carmen able handle crowds like that? In contrast, when the Apex arrives on April 17th, there are 3 ships in port for like 14k if full.

Have any of you experienced crowds like that and seen how they affect excursions both ship-sponsored and private?? Do some cruise ships directly tender to Playa Del Carmen??

The port is Cozumel so most cruise passengers don’t take the vomit ferries to Playa Del Carmen. Most stay on the island. So the ferries can handle whoever takes them. Ships don’t tender to Playa Del Carmen the port is Cozumel. Ship sponsored excursions to the mainland are usually on ship contracted boats from whichever of the 3 cruise terminals on Coz the ship docks at. If you want to go to Playa on your own should be no problem. Have you been to Playa? It is the center of a region with many all inclusive resorts. It is way more crowded than Cozumel with nine ships. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Charles4515 said:

The port is Cozumel so most cruise passengers don’t take the vomit ferries to Playa Del Carmen. Most stay on the island. So the ferries can handle whoever takes them. Ships don’t tender to Playa Del Carmen the port is Cozumel. Ship sponsored excursions to the mainland are usually on ship contracted boats from whichever of the 3 cruise terminals on Coz the ship docks at. 

Thank you...that is quite helpful! We would like to have a look at the Mayan ruins so need to get to the mainland. 

I am certainly interested to know if a lot of folks just stay on the island...

• Like 1

Just now, dlh015 said:

Thank you...that is quite helpful! We would like to have a look at the Mayan ruins so need to get to the mainland. 

I am certainly interested to know if a lot of folks just stay on the island...

I advise taking a ship’s excursion to any of the Mayan ruins. It takes a long time to get to them because of their distance. You don’t want to miss the ship. 

You will only have a short time at the ruins if you do them from Cozumel on a cruise itinerary. The best way to see them is not from a cruise ship itinerary but from staying on the mainland. I did Tulum from a cruise itinerary and we didn’t have a lot of time. I did it later from the mainland and we had a much better experience. I have also done Coba and Chicken Itza from staying on the mainland and I can’t imagine it would be a great experience from Cozumel. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

I advise taking a ship’s excursion to any of the Mayan ruins. It takes a long time to get to them because of their distance. You don’t want to miss the ship. 

You will only have a short time at the ruins if you do them from Cozumel on a cruise itinerary. The best way to see them is not from a cruise ship itinerary but from staying on the mainland. I did Tulum from a cruise itinerary and we didn’t have a lot of time. I did it later from the mainland and we had a much better experience. I have also done Coba and Chicken Itza from staying on the mainland and I can’t imagine it would be a great experience from Cozumel. 

Oh, only considering Tulum...others are waaaay too far and risky. (Besides, DW has been to them all...as a land-based thing 40 years ago...lol...in her other life...lol...)  I am the newbie and she's traveling down Memory Lane...

Really appreciate your input! 

The cruise lines contract with WinJet ferry company for the excursions, and rrather than going to the ferry terminal and taking a scheduled ferry, the cruise line excursions have a ferry come to the pier at the cruise port.  This saves a lot of time I'm sure; and alleviates the need to hope the ferry you need each way has space. 

The two ferries (WinJet and Ultramar) depart on alternate hours for Playa, and return.  If I were doing an excursion to the mainland, I'd take the ship's excursion, even though I usually book excustions independently. 

Harris

Denver, CO

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, dlh015 said:

Oh, only considering Tulum...others are waaaay too far and risky. (Besides, DW has been to them all...as a land-based thing 40 years ago...lol...in her other life...lol...)  I am the newbie and she's traveling down Memory Lane...

Really appreciate your input! 

Take the Celebrity excursion to Tulum. They will have a contracted ferry that picks you up at the pier and then a bus from Tulum. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

Take the Celebrity excursion to Tulum. They will have a contracted ferry that picks you up at the pier and then a bus from Tulum. 

Totally agree. There are journeys that are easy to do independently and others that simply are best done through the ship. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

The port is Cozumel so most cruise passengers don’t take the vomit ferries to Playa Del Carmen.

I literally just laughed out loud!  The only time we ever ferried over to PDC it was indeed a vomit adventure. The seas were very choppy and we made the mistake of sitting inside the vessel instead of on top in open air. The space below had zero air flow and was packed like a sardine can. A ferry attendant walked about passing out barf bags. I thought at the time that it was a little silly but I took one just in case.
Sure enough the barfing began…slowly, at first. Then it grew louder and violent vomit sounds chorused throughout the ferry…in unison. (men were especially loud and pronounced). I believe chain reaction vomiting ensued as well. I, for one prefer a more dainty vomit and quietly and discreetly upchucked into my proffered little bag. I was so quiet that DH, who was sitting right next to me, had no idea I’d lost my breakfast until we disembarked the ferry. 

I’m not sure if it was a walk of shame or a badge of honor but as we all filed off the vomit vessel those of us who joined the chorus marched up the aisle with our barf bags in tow and deposited them in the trash as we stepped  onto the dock. 

Playa Del Carmen was really nice, though!

• Haha 6

31 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I literally just laughed out loud!  The only time we ever ferried over to PDC it was indeed a vomit adventure. The seas were very choppy and we made the mistake of sitting inside the vessel instead of on top in open air. The space below had zero air flow and was packed like a sardine can. A ferry attendant walked about passing out barf bags. I thought at the time that it was a little silly but I took one just in case.
Sure enough the barfing began…slowly, at first. Then it grew louder and violent vomit sounds chorused throughout the ferry…in unison. (men were especially loud and pronounced). I believe chain reaction vomiting ensued as well. I, for one prefer a more dainty vomit and quietly and discreetly upchucked into my proffered little bag. I was so quiet that DH, who was sitting right next to me, had no idea I’d lost my breakfast until we disembarked the ferry. 

I’m not sure if it was a walk of shame or a badge of honor but as we all filed off the vomit vessel those of us who joined the chorus marched up the aisle with our barf bags in tow and deposited them in the trash as we stepped  onto the dock. 

Sooooo, how was the return ferry trip?  🫢🤢🤮

• Haha 3

And for any one considering the vomit comet, whatever you do, don't use the tiny cubicle toilet at the aft of the ship.

Even though the day we took the excursion  had a calm crossing to Playa Del Carman and the main cabin barfers were few, the ride in that cubicle is enough to turn the best sailor a bit green. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, dlh015 said:

Thanks everyone. We will book a ship excursion...now to decide when to go...

Sure glad I asked!!

One independent tour you can consider on Cozumel is the Bar Hop.  I'm not a big drinker at all, but it was very relaxing and a lot of fun.

And as has been said, Cozumel is a very large port so even if there are lots of ships in port that day you should be fine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

This is just about the most helpful excursion info I’ve read on CC! Definitely never, ever taking that ferry. 😆🤣

• Haha 2

On 7/16/2023 at 2:58 AM, Charles4515 said:

I agree. Though, as previously mentioned, you would have more time on a land based tour we were so uncomfortable in the heat that the time allotted for touring the site on the Celebrity tour turned out to be just fine. 

We took the Celeb excursion to Tulum. Lots of upchucking on the way to the mainland, thankfully not out of our mouths. Way back was calmer. Glad we got to see the temple there.

Another port on that cruise was to Belize and we opted for the Celeb excursion to Xunantunich, which provided an uncrowded experience exploring the Mayan ruin there including the opportunity to climb to the top.

I guess if you have not done Tulum, probably should. Prepare for a long day. Ferry is one hour fifteen one way. Two and a half total. If I remember, bus to tulum was a long ride. Yes, crowds will greet you. And yes, expect crowds in Cozumel. 

57 minutes ago, TMLAalum said:

We took the Celeb excursion to Tulum. Lots of upchucking on the way to the mainland, thankfully not out of our mouths. Way back was calmer. Glad we got to see the temple there.

Another port on that cruise was to Belize and we opted for the Celeb excursion to Xunantunich, which provided an uncrowded experience exploring the Mayan ruin there including the opportunity to climb to the top.

Belize had nice ruins..bumpy roads but no upchuck  We always  take an X excursio  if it is to a distant location...ship will wait and also send help if your bus breaks down! Happened to us in Costa Rica once but X handled  it quite well.

• Like 1

On 7/16/2023 at 4:55 AM, Georgia_Peaches said:

That ride was the worst sea ride of anything I have ever been on.  That vomit comet nickname was spot on.   I was "okay" but when I look around, half the people were a little green.   

• Like 1