Amsterdam bans cruise ships

We’ve also stayed at the Doubletree next to Centraal station.  It’s convenient to transportation, we easily took the train from the airport even with all our luggage.  The trams will get you anywhere you want.  Quite a few restaurants within walking distance.  Not as nice as Banks, but for our last stay it was quite a bit cheaper.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, mac_tlc said:

We had a port call at Molde cancelled last month on the Jewel so they could get back to Amsterdam early, do to the salt levels in the river beyond the locks. The locks were only going to be operational from 6am to 7pm, and our original itinerary would have had us at the locks about 1am. 

Docked at 6pm, and overnighted in Amsterdam. A bunch of people left early, I think there were 8 people at Giovanni’s on the last night and 4 of those were our party.

mac_tlc

I think this has been a regular occurrence in Amsterdam, due to the drought conditions being experienced in parts of Europe.  We did get $100 OBC on each of the three cruises due to missing a Port.

12 minutes ago, broadwaybaby123 said:

I read multiple reports of this over the weekend, the initial one being that cruises were banned altogether and then a couple articles retracting the statement, saying that the cruise terminal is simply being moved.

The cruise terminal is just being moved out of the city center. It will take years (if not a decade or more) before it is done because an entirely new terminal will need to be built. 

I live in Amsterdam and watch cruise ships sail by my house almost daily. There is also someone on here claiming that their cruise was already moved because of this, and that is complete nonsense. If their was a cruise recently moved from Amsterdam, it had absolutely nothing at all to do with this. In fact, Jewel of the Seas is currently parked here in the city center. She will sail by my house in about 1 1/2 hours. 

• Like 4

I think right now we  can only stay 2 nights in Amsterdam before our first cruise,  we  know we want to spend 3 nights in Rome after the end of our second cruise.

So in Amsterdam right now we are looking at the Movenpick and WestCord City Centre Hotel Amsterdam

For the 2 nights cost is about $850 for the 3 of us.

For those that have been in Amsterdam, do you think the WestCord is in a better location then the Movenpick ?

Ambassade   seems to require a 3 night stay and a lot more expensive, Doubletree like Movenpick seem to be far from the center city.

39 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

I think right now we  can only stay 2 nights in Amsterdam before our first cruise,  we  know we want to spend 3 nights in Rome after the end of our second cruise.

So in Amsterdam right now we are looking at the Movenpick and WestCord City Centre Hotel Amsterdam

For those that have been in Amsterdam, do you think the WestCord is in a better location then the Movenpick ?

Ambassade   seems to require a 3 night stay and a lot more expensive, Doubletree like Movenpick seem to be far from the center city.

I live in Amsterdam and have stayed at the Movenpick hotel (but not the WestCord).

Movenpick is very modern with wonderful views of the river. It's a bit of a walk to the city center, or you can take a tram that is available directly in front of the hotel. The Movenpick is directly at the cruise port - you will be able to walk there from the hotel in just 3 minutes.

WestCord City Centre is smack in the middle of everything. You will need to take a tram or taxi to get there and also to get to the cruise terminal. The street in front is busy - not sure how quite it will be in the rooms there. 

It is nearly a toss up, all things considered. I loved the Movenpick and would probably default to it, just because it's something I am familiar with (and especially since it will give direct access to the port in the morning). 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, DerekB said:

The cruise terminal is just being moved out of the city center. It will take years (if not a decade or more) before it is done because an entirely new terminal will need to be built. 

I live in Amsterdam and watch cruise ships sail by my house almost daily. There is also someone on here claiming that their cruise was already moved because of this, and that is complete nonsense. If their was a cruise recently moved from Amsterdam, it had absolutely nothing at all to do with this. In fact, Jewel of the Seas is currently parked here in the city center. She will sail by my house in about 1 1/2 hours. 

I just checked for all  2024, most sailing from there are River Cruises on small vessels.

Jan, Feb, March, Apr    Large ships  0 sailings

May-   Large Ships     4 sailings

June          "                7 sailings

July           "               7 sailings

August      "               4 sailings

Sept         "                0 sailings

October      "              2 sailings

November      "         1 sailing

December      "         1 sailing

So to pull out all the  Large Cruise Ships from Amsterdam really wouldn't take to much to switch them all over to Rotterdam.

Would be interesting to check this again at the end of this year and just see how many switch over to Rotterdam.

3 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

I just checked for all  2024, most sailing from there are River Cruises on small vessels.

Jan, Feb, March, Apr    Large ships  0 sailings

May-   Large Ships     4 sailings

June          "                7 sailings

July           "               7 sailings

August      "               4 sailings

Sept         "                0 sailings

October      "              2 sailings

November      "         1 sailing

December      "         1 sailing

So to pull out all the  Large Cruise Ships from Amsterdam really wouldn't take to much to switch them all over to Rotterdam.

Would be interesting to check this again at the end of this year and just see how many switch over to Rotterdam.

Not sure where you are checking or what you call a large ship, but for ocean cruises there are:

January - 0

February - 2

March - 2

April - 4 

May - 26

June - 19

July - 19

August - 24

September - 18

October - 12

November - 6

December - 13 

I think perhaps you are not counting port calls perhaps? 

1 hour ago, DerekB said:

It is amazing all the alarmist news articles and topics on Cruise Critic  that claim Amsterdam is banning cruise ships which is false. The title of this thread is misinformation. They are only planning on moving them to a new terminal which as you say could be years away. 

Edited by Charles4515

50 minutes ago, DerekB said:

Not sure where you are checking or what you call a large ship, but for ocean cruises there are:

January - 0

February - 2

March - 2

April - 4 

May - 26

June - 19

July - 19

August - 24

September - 18

October - 12

November - 6

December - 13 

I think perhaps you are not counting port calls perhaps? 

That is correct, just counting large cruise ships leaving from Amsterdam. As we all know port calls can easily be canceled and really doesn't effect passengers onboard an incoming ship.

1 hour ago, DerekB said:

I live in Amsterdam and have stayed at the Movenpick hotel (but not the WestCord).

Movenpick is very modern with wonderful views of the river. It's a bit of a walk to the city center, or you can take a tram that is available directly in front of the hotel. The Movenpick is directly at the cruise port - you will be able to walk there from the hotel in just 3 minutes.

WestCord City Centre is smack in the middle of everything. You will need to take a tram or taxi to get there and also to get to the cruise terminal. The street in front is busy - not sure how quite it will be in the rooms there. 

It is nearly a toss up, all things considered. I loved the Movenpick and would probably default to it, just because it's something I am familiar with (and especially since it will give direct access to the port in the morning). 

If it was your first time in Amsterdam and quite possibly the only time we will every be there. Which location will give us the better vibe of Amsterdam?

34 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

If it was your first time in Amsterdam and quite possibly the only time we will every be there. Which location will give us the better vibe of Amsterdam?

Vibe, if I understand your question right, would certainly be the WestCord. The Movenpick is by itself, except for the adjacent cruise terminal. At the Westcord you walk outside and you're in the city center itself. 

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

That is correct, just counting large cruise ships leaving from Amsterdam. As we all know port calls can easily be canceled and really doesn't effect passengers onboard an incoming ship.

Also need to take into consideration that Amsterdam is moving them because they no longer want large polluting ships in the city center and is trying to avoid a few thousand extra tourists being dumped in the city center. Rotterdam would presumeably have the same issues and not want Amsterdam's ships there. 

Funny enough, just 20 minutes ago I walked outside just in time to see Jewel of the Seas sail by. 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Is the Dam Square location a good area to be near when finding a hotel in Amsterdam?

Yes.  Dam Square is, basically, the center of downtown Amsterdam. When we last went and chose the Kimpton DeWitt, it was largely due to the proximity to the cruise port, the train station, boat tours and the main sights of Downtown Amsterdam.  The short walk between there and Dam Square was pretty nice.

But...short story, "Dam Square " brings this back for me: 

First time I ever visited Amsterdam was in 1975, when I spent the summer in Europe while in college.  A buddy and I stayed in a small hotel (and I use that term loosely here...place was a dive) not far from there...and every time we ventured out, we passed through Dam Square.  And, constantly, in Dam Square, with us being a couple of long-haired college kids (yes, in those days, we all were), we kept getting approached by "pushers" offering to sell us every type of drug imaginable.  I think every drug dealer in Amsterdam in those days (prior to the 1976 legalization of "soft" drugs) seemed to hang out at Dam Square.

One morning, a long haired guy comes up to us and asks "Do you want to buy a bug?"  My friend and I looked at each other puzzled.  We thought we knew every slang term for every drug available...but we had no idea what a "bug" was.  We looked at the guy and said "A bug?  Ummmm....What's that?"  He looks back, slightly annoyed and says "A BUG.  A VW.  A Volkswagen. I'm trying to sell my car".  So, I guess the drug business has moved on to legal "coffee shops".  I wonder if the used car market is still alive and kicking in Dam Square?

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Bruin Steve said:

So, I guess the drug business has moved on to legal "coffee shops".  I wonder if the used car market is still alive and kicking in Dam Square?

The illegal (hard drug) market is thriving in and around Dam Square - although buyer beware, the dealers there target tourist with fake drugs or other schemes. Only weed/hash is available in coffee shops (and is not sold by the street dealers). 

As for the used car market - it has shifted to online. On the other hand, the used (and most likely stolen) bicycle market is alive and kicking! 

Edited by DerekB
missed a word

3 hours ago, Jimbo said:

I don’t know whether you like to walk or not, but Amsterdam is a very walkable City with excellent Public Transportation.  We walked everywhere and saw so many things we would have missed otherwise.  It depends what your plans are, but I don’t think there’s a wrong choice for a hotel.  We really loved Amsterdam!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, pstone1 said:

I don’t know whether you like to walk or not, but Amsterdam is a very walkable City with excellent Public Transportation.  We walked everywhere and saw so many things we would have missed otherwise.  It depends what your plans are, but I don’t think there’s a wrong choice for a hotel.  We really loved Amsterdam!

We have no problem walking some, I guess that will  also depend on the weather that time of year. We will be there the last week of May.

3 hours ago, Jimbo said:

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

Jimbo, after much research, I stayed 2 nights pre-cruise just this past May (May 22-24) at the NH Barbazon. Fits all of your criteria.

Edited by Hoopster95

30 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

We have no problem walking some, I guess that will  also depend on the weather that time of year. We will be there the last week of May.

I think May should be the perfect climate, probably in the 60’s!  We were in Amsterdam at the end of July and it was much warmer than we anticipated!  I’d be prepared with short sleeve shirts in case it’s a little warmer!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Hoopster95 said:

Jimbo, after much research, I stayed 2 nights pre-cruise just this past May (May 22-24) at the NH Barbazon. Fits all of your criteria.

Sure is a lot of restaurants  around that hotel, on their web site though doesn't have any of my dates listed yet. I guess to far out. Will have to check again later. Do you remember about what you paid per night. We will need a room for 3 though, I'm sure  they will charge additional for the 3rd person.

3 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Sure is a lot of restaurants  around that hotel, on their web site though doesn't have any of my dates listed yet. I guess to far out. Will have to check again later. Do you remember about what you paid per night. We will need a room for 3 though, I'm sure  they will charge additional for the 3rd person.

ALL of Amsterdam hotels are very expensive. I believe it was around $600 CAD per night. This was at the low end of the "5 star hotel" range. The location is the 100% advantage.

As an fyi, arrival morning at Schiphol took the fast train (6 euro) direct to Centraal, and rolled our luggage over the small bridge (over canal) and across the street 5 minutes to the hotel (no taxi or expensive airport transfers). On embarkation morning, wheeled our luggage back to the front on Centraal (4 min walk) where the trams are located.... hopped on the #26 for 3.40 euro, one stop away lets you off directly in front of the cruise terminal, wheeled our luggage across the street and down the ramp. I am not at all exaggerating from hotel lobby to checking in for the cruise approx 1/2 hour. Debarkation morning there was a railway strike.... line-up of about 100 cruisers with zero taxis available, I heard later took about 2 hours to get a taxi.... instead of standing stupidly in line for 2 hours, I got on the tram (another 3.40 euro) back to Centraal where there were about 20 taxis waiting there and got one in 10 seconds, made my flight with ample time to spare.

Do a mock booking for 3 people in October for example. I just tried it and you can see prices.

34 minutes ago, Hoopster95 said:

ALL of Amsterdam hotels are very expensive. I believe it was around $600 CAD per night. This was at the low end of the "5 star hotel" range. The location is the 100% advantage.

As an fyi, arrival morning at Schiphol took the fast train (6 euro) direct to Centraal, and rolled our luggage over the small bridge (over canal) and across the street 5 minutes to the hotel (no taxi or expensive airport transfers). On embarkation morning, wheeled our luggage back to the front on Centraal (4 min walk) where the trams are located.... hopped on the #26 for 3.40 euro, one stop away lets you off directly in front of the cruise terminal, wheeled our luggage across the street and down the ramp. I am not at all exaggerating from hotel lobby to checking in for the cruise approx 1/2 hour. Debarkation morning there was a railway strike.... line-up of about 100 cruisers with zero taxis available, I heard later took about 2 hours to get a taxi.... instead of standing stupidly in line for 2 hours, I got on the tram (another 3.40 euro) back to Centraal where there were about 20 taxis waiting there and got one in 10 seconds, made my flight with ample time to spare.

Do a mock booking for 3 people in October for example. I just tried it and you can see prices.

Yes , I noticed everything is high there. I did a mock booking for December, it was around $850 USD, October dates were just over a $1000 USD

Your $600 CAD is around $450 USD per night, for your May dates.

Where ever we book, trying to keep it around $400-$450 a night.

You may fly into Frankfurt, take an ICE train, overnight anywhere between Frankfurt and Cologne. Next morning you hop into the Cologne-Amsterdam ICE train, arriving 11ish am. 

We did the train at the morning of departure from Cologne to Amsterdam (ca 55€pp). So you may avoid Amsterdam prices and sightsee Cologne which is more than worth it. You can also take a ICE train from Frankfurt airport to Amsterdam avoiding Schiphol

12 hours ago, Kbonner said:

You may fly into Frankfurt, take an ICE train, overnight anywhere between Frankfurt and Cologne. Next morning you hop into the Cologne-Amsterdam ICE train, arriving 11ish am. 

We did the train at the morning of departure from Cologne to Amsterdam (ca 55€pp). So you may avoid Amsterdam prices and sightsee Cologne which is more than worth it. You can also take a ICE train from Frankfurt airport to Amsterdam avoiding Schiphol

I think we would just like to get to Amsterdam the quickest way and Skip the 3 hour + train ride.

• Like 1

On 7/21/2023 at 10:42 PM, pstone1 said:

I just checked again, and our dates next year are not open yet!  I will keep checking though!  Definitely a great hotel!

I’m glad to hear such glowing reviews regarding Bank’s. We have plans to stay there pre-cruise June 2024.