QM2 - Please describe a sheltered balcony

katybird

4 minutes ago, BklynBoy8 said:

image.jpeg.c7e38e1ddb7079fcd96d547cab71e3a4.jpeg

QM2 Sheltered Balconies? - Cunard Line - Cruise Critic Community

DW friends once wanted to book the QM2 and the only cabins available at the time were the Shelters and they liked it very much for a first time sailing.

We prefer higher decks with open Balconies when booking. Personal Preferences.....

I have had them 2 times on deck 5 for my TA's.  The cabin was nice and I was able to use the balcony during some rainy weather without getting wet.  The only thing I did not care for is you can not see the water when you sit down.  I would bring the  cushions from the cabin and sit on them, it would help a little. I enjoy the added daylight in the cabin and love to watch the sunset from there.

• Like 1

We mostly book transatlantic round trips. We prefer the sheltered balcony rooms, mid ships where possible to reduce an perceived motion when QM2 encounters heavy weather.

It is also nice that the balcony provides an oasis of calm - even when there is a force 11 gale closing access to the Lookout, Observation Deck & deck 7 access to the Promenade.

• Like 5

I do respect all the opinions of my fellow Cruise Critics but I still don't see the reasoning I would consider selecting a Sheltered Cabin for a voyage.

To be lower than Deck 7, be in an enclosed balcony and close to the water, those days are over when we graduated from the Oceanview Cabin to outside balconies.

I still can get on a balcony in unsettled weather with a certain amount of protection. 

But I know and understand how we all gather our likes and dislikes on the accommodations we select. But if  I were unable to book a cabin on a certain sailing with the cabin we would like, I would past the opportunity if shelters,oceanview or inside were only available. There is always tomorrow.

Sorry, just not attracted to the experience. 

1 minute ago, BklynBoy8 said:

I do respect all the opinions of my fellow Cruise Critics but I still don't see the reasoning I would consider selecting a Sheltered Cabin for a voyage.

To be lower than Deck 7, be in an enclosed balcony and close to the water, those days are over when we graduated from the Oceanview Cabin to outside balconies.

I still can get on a balcony in unsettled weather with a certain amount of protection. 

But I know and understand how we all gather our likes and dislikes on the accommodations we select. But if  I were unable to book a cabin on a certain sailing with the cabin we would like, I would past the opportunity if shelters,oceanview or inside were only available. There is always tomorrow.

Sorry, just not attracted to the experience. 

Have you actually tried it? You might be surprised, as I was, when I had it forced on me.

33 minutes ago, TheOldBear said:

We mostly book transatlantic round trips. We prefer the sheltered balcony rooms, mid ships where possible to reduce an perceived motion when QM2 encounters heavy weather.

It is also nice that the balcony provides an oasis of calm - even when there is a force 11 gale closing access to the Lookout, Observation Deck & deck 7 access to the Promenade.

Having been far forward in rough weather on a crossing, I'll happily take low and midships. I like that I can get fresh air any time without being blown around by the wind. And the price is good. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Having been far forward in rough weather on a crossing, I'll happily take low and midships. I like that I can get fresh air any time without being blown around by the wind. And the price is good. 

Agree past experience with midship lower decks. But eventually we moved uptown...lol

I was in the Computer Center on 2 forward once at midnight and WOW!

Had to take meds once finished in my cabin.

We have done 5 crossings in a sheltered balcony on deck 5. I think they are the best staterooms on the ship. Laugh if you like.  I will explain my rationale.  The first time we booked we had little choice.  We booked within a month of embarkation and it was our only option.  I fretted over it as my first choice would have been the Grills if available and questioned my booking but did not cancel as we also had a dog booked in the kennels.  When the weather is less than pleasant and foggy on the North Atlantic and all the outside decks are closed, kennel visits are stopped and they ask those in the “better accommodation” to not open their balcony door, those of us in the sheltered balconies can at least step outside and obtain some fresh air.  After that first experience in the sheltered balcony, we always booked in those steerage rooms!  Certainly not the level we normally travel at but on the QM2 for transatlantic routes the sheltered balcony rooms are our preference.  

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Cancun01 said:

We have done 5 crossings in a sheltered balcony on deck 5. I think they are the best staterooms on the ship. Laugh if you like.  I will explain my rationale.  The first time we booked we had little choice.  We booked within a month of embarkation and it was our only option.  I fretted over it as my first choice would have been the Grills if available and questioned my booking but did not cancel as we also had a dog booked in the kennels.  When the weather is less than pleasant and foggy on the North Atlantic and all the outside decks are closed, kennel visits are stopped and they ask those in the “better accommodation” to not open their balcony door, those of us in the sheltered balconies can at least step outside and obtain some fresh air.  After that first experience in the sheltered balcony, we always booked in those steerage rooms!  Certainly not the level we normally travel at but on the QM2 for transatlantic routes the sheltered balcony rooms are our preference.  

As mentioned,  personal preference is what counts with individuals comfort and likes.

Our sailings are regular travels and not TA's. So any conditions can be encountered on any sailings.

On 7/24/2023 at 9:31 AM, BklynBoy8 said:

That's really funny to me because on QM2, Deck 5 is in no way close to the water.

Here's a little test. Go to your preferred Deck 11 (or 13, or 10 if you have the pocketbook), stand at your lovely glass-front balcony railing, and look down. Do you see the hull cutting through the water? Can you hear the bow wave? No - you might as well fly.

I've traveled above Deck 7 and below, but give me a sheltered balcony on Deck 5 forward any day.

Edited by Underwatr
  • Like 2

I book a midship balcony cabin on any ship I am travelling in.   On QM2 I booked a sheltered balcony cabin on 5 deck for a 13 day Carib cruise out of NYC in February(when QM2 first came out).

My TA actually suggested it as it provided a balcony & fresh air for the 6 days we were at sea in FEB going to the carib & once we were in the carib it provided a shaded area for us( I sunburn easily).

we loved the cabin & balcony so much its my preferred cabin w QM2.  I spend plenty of time out on deck  - swimming in the morning, evening out, lunches.  I had coffee & Danish served in the cabin for breakfast.  It was great for an afternoon nap or anytime fresh air in private.

On a TA the sheltered balcony is priceless.... no matter the weather you can go outside, have a cocktail, nap or whatever....the upper deck balcony's can't!!!!

• Like 4