Price Increases for 2024

I was looking at the Regent web site for a 2024 cruise that was the same itinerary, same cabin class and same month as our 2023 cruise to the British Isles. I wanted to see what the 2 pricing models were for all inclusive and cruise fare only options. I was very surprised that the price I paid for our 2023 cruise which is all inclusive with included hotels before and after the cruise, business class air, and all transfers was almost identical to the 2024 pricing for cruise fair only (no air, hotels, etc.). It’s going to get tougher for me to justify the premium cost for admittedly a premium product. I was also surprised to see that the difference between the 2 options was only $3,000. That won’t get me business class air on my own and would hardly get me coach air on my own. 

I also think that Regent needs to better define the differences between the 2 fare options. For example, it wasn’t clear if shore excursions were included in the cruise fare only option. I think Regent should be very specific on their website with what is/isn’t included with each option. Their sister cruise line, Oceania, is very specific in what is included with each of their pricing options.

18 minutes ago, pappy1022 said:

I also think that Regent needs to better define the differences between the 2 fare options. For example, it wasn’t clear if shore excursions were included in the cruise fare only option. I think Regent should be very specific on their website with what is/isn’t included with each option. Their sister cruise line, Oceania, is very specific in what is included with each of their pricing options.

The second column (labelled "cruise") includes everything in our regular list of inclusions from the moment you embark on the first day until the moment you step off the ship on the last morning. We'll continue to monitor feedback to determine if this change is causing more confusion, so appreciate you sharing your thoughts. 

If Regent is only paying $3000 for a business class ticket due to special pricing then offering a $3000 credit or reduction is appropriate.  However, I doubt this is the case.  If Regent would offer what it actually costs them then more people would do their own air even at slightly higher personal cost.  This would alleviate Regent’s headache of dealing with air and many of us prefer being in control of our own air. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rcandkc said:

If Regent is only paying $3000 for a business class ticket due to special pricing then offering a $3000 credit or reduction is appropriate.  However, I doubt this is the case.  If Regent would offer what it actually costs them then more people would do their own air even at slightly higher personal cost.  This would alleviate Regent’s headache of dealing with air and many of us prefer being in control of our own air. 

Don’t understand your reasoning. Are you saying that Regent may be paying more or less for the business class ticket that they value at $3000? 
Based on pass experience I had with flights cancelled and paying for the replacement ticket and negotiating the insurance claim, I feel it is much more complicated, and Regent probably pay as a package for the various flights and the $$ they post for flight credit is result of some algorithm. 

1 minute ago, mj_holiday said:

Don’t understand your reasoning. Are you saying that Regent may be paying more or less for the business class ticket that they value at $3000? 
Based on pass experience I had with flights cancelled and paying for the replacement ticket and negotiating the insurance claim, I feel it is much more complicated, and Regent probably pay as a package for the various flights and the $$ they post for flight credit is result of some algorithm. 

I’m sorry I was not clear. I think they pay more and know individuals will have to but give an air credit for less. 

2 hours ago, rcandkc said:

If Regent is only paying $3000 for a business class ticket due to special pricing then offering a $3000 credit or reduction is appropriate.  However, I doubt this is the case.

10 minutes ago, pappy1022 said:

Regent definitely doesn’t give an air credit at whatever it cost them to book air for their customers.

What is the basis for your reasoning?

1 hour ago, pappy1022 said:

Agree. Regent definitely doesn’t give an air credit at whatever it cost them to book air for their customers.

Regents air credit is 2600pp compared to Silverseas 3900pp.    10 day F2 granduer runs 27698 w/air and 22,498 w/o  compared to SS moon 11 day Sup ver. 24175 w/air and 16380 w/o.  I'm booked on the granduer in a PHB, but will probably book the moon and use AA miles for the air.  Granted I lose the more spacious PH and a night of hotel but the savings is significant especially when I can use my own air.  Regent just doesn't give you that break on the air compared to SS as it seems to be built into the price.  I also compared our south Africa trips and found because of the Business air and pre cruise package, regent seemed a better value.  

Flossie, for my specific cruise that I have booked, Regent was offering $2,500 if I booked my own airfare. The closest I found online for booking business class air between my origin and international destination was $6,500 and when I looked up the actual flights I have booked through Regent it was over $10,000.  I doubt if Regent has that significant of a discount on airfare. 

23 minutes ago, Lonedaddy said:

Regents air credit is 2600pp compared to Silverseas 3900pp.    10 day F2 granduer runs 27698 w/air and 22,498 w/o  compared to SS moon 11 day Sup ver. 24175 w/air and 16380 w/o.  I'm booked on the granduer in a PHB, but will probably book the moon and use AA miles for the air.  Granted I lose the more spacious PH and a night of hotel but the savings is significant especially when I can use my own air.  Regent just doesn't give you that break on the air compared to SS as it seems to be built into the price.  I also compared our south Africa trips and found because of the Business air and pre cruise package, regent seemed a better value.  

Does Silversea’s price include excursions?

13 minutes ago, cruiseluv said:

Does Silversea’s price include excursions?

yes they do include excursion - but not laundry, but I figured I could do a lot of laundry with 1000 obc in addition to the 500 amex credit.  Also includes transfer from home to airport and back even if you don't book air.

11 minutes ago, Lonedaddy said:

yes they do include excursion - but not laundry, but I figured I could do a lot of laundry with 1000 obc in addition to the 500 amex credit.  Also includes transfer from home to airport and back even if you don't book air.

Thanks , I didn’t know Silverseas had also become all inclusive 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/24/2023 at 10:47 AM, Lonedaddy said:

Wow.  Definitely need to take a look at Silversea.  We have a LOT of AA Loyalty Points.

My observations have been that on the newer ships Regent Veranda (Superior) Suites are somewhat more expensive than SS.  We make our own flight arrangements and take the air credit in both cases.  We like Regents itineraries better, SS generally has more sea days, and in the website marketing material it appears to us that Regent has a wider array of included excursions.  Itineraries are a big deal to us. In our upcoming SS cruises we have been fine with the excursion selection so maybe SS hasn't listed all the options, they are newer to the game.  I look forward to the new SS SALT concept were they serve local cuisine and drinks.  All SS rooms have a butler but they charge for specialty restaurants.  Lucky to be able to have the choice I guess.

SS also gives a free bottle of Dom Perignon (or equivalent) if you book with AMEX-P.   nice

Granted we're at or near the end of our cruising "careers", but I find Regent's latest prices just breathtaking. Regardless of whether or not one can afford it, I can't get my head around this level of spending. I frankly wish they would take excursions out of the equation, but that's obviously not going to happen.  Haven't done SS, but too bad they've gone the same way.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Granted we're at or near the end of our cruising "careers", but I find Regent's latest prices just breathtaking. Regardless of whether or not one can afford it, I can't get my head around this level of spending. I frankly wish they would take excursions out of the equation, but that's obviously not going to happen.  Haven't done SS, but too bad they've gone the same way.

Agree 100%. But if you look at other cruise lines they're prices are insane too! I follow Royal Caribbean (our favorite cruise line before we began cruising Regent).  They are "really....REALLY proud" of their suites! Their Icon Suite (largest suite on Icon of the Seas) is over $35,000 for two people for a 7 night Caribbean cruise!  That works out to about $2500 per day per person.  For slightly less than that per night, you can do a 12 Night Master Suite on Grandeur and that INCLUDES Business Class Air to Europe!  So ALL the cruise lines prices are going insane! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Agree Wendy. This next Regent cruise could be my last. It took me a while to pull the trigger on this upcoming cruise but it’s an area where I thought cruising would be the best option. I also agree with the hope that Regent would reduce the price and make included excursions optional. Air travel is also ridiculously priced. The reality is that the cruise industry needs to make more revenue because of the increased expenses as a result of massive borrowing during COVID with no revenue during those 2 years. That doesn’t bode well for anything but more price increases. Maybe Regent will be back to just catering to the wealthy.  

13 minutes ago, pappy1022 said:

The reality is that the cruise industry needs to make more revenue because of the increased expenses as a result of massive borrowing during COVID with no revenue during those 2 years. That doesn’t bode well for anything but more price increases. Maybe Regent will be back to just catering to the wealthy.

Yes, agreed.  Glad we got our 'licks' in when prices were more reasonable.  I remember one particular cruise we took several years after 9/11 when the per diem for our standard balcony cabin was about $400pd/pp.

• Like 1

Just as another data point, our ill-fated 2021 WC was going to cost us just under CAN$160,000, for a standard balcony cabin (not concierge.) Plus a non-use air credit of $3,800, which brings it to close to $165K.  It was going to be 119 days long.

Just looking at the 2024 WC, which, granted, is longer, 132 days.  Standard G cabins is ~CAN$122,000 per person. I.e., over CAN$240K.  To be fair I'm not factoring in any discounts for SSS or other special offers.  But still, that's ridiculous.  And too long, btw.

• Like 1

We too are most likely going to be looking at other options. We are both now 78 and the air situation and uncertainty and expense is just a lot. If you could just drive and board a ship it would be great. I guess we could just drive down to Galveston and get on a NCL ship which the haven suites are great and cruise around in the Caribbean ever so often.

I too agree that the cost is getting significant.  But air is driven by the airline rates so that is out of Regent's control.  The reason that people are getting more uncharges when the deviate or having to settle for ridiculous air itineraries is just this.  The non stop flights and desirable routings are way too valuable for the airlines to discount them to the cruise lines.   

All costs have gone up worldwide.  Tours are more expensive (I assume) as many tour companies went out of business due to Covid, Regent has to compete with mega-ships for tours, etc.  Food, oil, drinks, labor, all are at a premium now.  So.. costs go up.  

For me, I will continue to compare cruise line options. Regent is still close or better in cost for comparable cabins, amenities, etc. with most other cruise lines. I won't sail in an Inside Cabin anymore.  I won't fly transcontinental in economy.  I want all inclusive.  So when I add that criteria up on...say....Royal Caribbean, Regent is about the same cost.  Of course that may change, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. 

• Like 1

Air fares have definitely gone through the roof and I understand that part is out of Regent’s control. For my upcoming cruise I chose to stay with Regent business class air because when I priced the exact same air itinerary that they provided it represented approximately 40% of the total cruise cost. Regent’s offer of a $2,500 credit for the air represented roughly 15% of the total cost. They must get a heck of a discount or they aren’t giving us credit for their total air cost. I could have found a less expensive business class route but I wanted to compare apples to apples. Fortunately, I have only 1 stop on the outbound flight (no direct flights were available from Austin to Copenhagen) and a direct flight home from London so I am happy with the arrangements. 

In my observation Regent has historically offered air credits (business class from US) close to fair value for Australia & Asia but light in Europe ($2500).  It appears they are increasing the credit for Europe up to $4K in 2025/26 (attached).  The Regent Asian cruise we are currently considering they are offering $6500 air credit to Singapore (Hong Kong) which is actually more than what is currently available.  The $4K  European air credit is close to what's available but the $19K tab (Veranda w/o air) for a 10 night Med cruise on the Voyager is eyewatering.  People can go on land based vacations to many international cities (Not Paris) stay in top hotels and eat at 1* Michelin restaurants for much less. 

https://www.rssc.com/cruises/VOY260407/summary?source=CruiseSearch

Edited by RetiredandTravel