POLL: How Will You Sail Now, With All of the Upcoming Package Changes?

Jeter02

How Will You Sail Now, With All of the Upcoming Package Changes?  

528 members have voted

1. 1. How Will You Sail Now, With All of the Upcoming Package Changes?

• Standard Fare
    • Princess Plus
    • Princess Premier
    • Adios! Seeking New Cruise Line
    • Farewell to Cruising Altogether (I'm Done with Cruising Altogether)
  2. 2. Will You Be Continuing to Sail the Way You Always Have? Or Will You Be Upgrading or Downgrading Your Package?

• Will Continue Sailing With the Same Package as Always
    • Upgrading My Package
    • Downgrading My Pacakge

26 minutes ago, lhsail said:

We have a cruise in late August next year on the Sun Princess. We booked it as one continuous cruise, but it’s available to book as three separate cruises. We have the Plus Package. Will our benefits such as casual dining, etc. reset?

If you go to the "Princess Cruises Social" YouTube channel announcement for these changes, your question is covered.  If I understood the answer given, since it was booked as one cruise (one booking number) the benefits will not reset.  It will be handled as a single cruise.  But then again, August 2024 is a long time away and a lot can change before then.

• Like 2

On 7/30/2023 at 6:05 AM, CruisingWalter said:

When I see a statement like "for many of us" is it really "many of us" or primarily you and those you know. I'm not saying this to be mean or offensive, but just as someone who sees how wildly popular the Plus package has been for Princess. The fact that they've made these changes means they've had tremendous traction with the program.

Now if you're in the upper echelon of the Princess loyalty you're going to get some added perks so the Plus/Premier is not necessary. But if you're not, then you're paying $15/day per device for WiFi with the MedallionNet package + $16/day for Gratuities or $31/day. So that makes the drinks and all the extras $29/day pp or $58/day per couple and $406 for a 7 day cruise.

If you're not going to get WiFi at all, then the Plus/Premier packages would most likely not work in your favor. 

Or they made them because uptake of the packages was lagging and they mage the changed to add more value to the packages while raising prices for standard fare buyers

6 minutes ago, cruiserdf said:

If you go to the "Princess Cruises Social" YouTube channel announcement for these changes, your question is covered.  If I understood the answer given, since it was booked as one cruise (one booking number) the benefits will not reset.  It will be handled as a single cruise.  But then again, August 2024 is a long time away and a lot can change before then.

Thank you. Bummer!  And you are so right, it’s liable to be totally different by then. Hard to justify upgrading to Premium for 23 days. 

2 minutes ago, lhsail said:

Thank you. Bummer!  And you are so right, it’s liable to be totally different by then. Hard to justify upgrading to Premium for 23 days. 

You are correct ... we have a 23 day this November and adding $2700 - $3700 is not worth it to us.  I put that into the business class flight for us.  I am to old to sit in a small seat for 10 hours, but I do not need that many drinks to enjoy my cruise.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, fpsphil said:

Sticking with Plus as we always have. I can drink enough of the watered down drinks over a 24 hour period it offsets the cost

It only takes a few and we generally gave 6-10 per day

25 minutes ago, cruiserdf said:

You are correct ... we have a 23 day this November and adding $2700 - $3700 is not worth it to us.  I put that into the business class flight for us.  I am to old to sit in a small seat for 10 hours, but I do not need that many drinks to enjoy my cruise.

For us it’s not the number of drinks, it’s the quality. We enjoy nice wines and the specialty dining. When the packages first rolled out there were some very good wines on the Plus package. That was not the case on the Enchanted in February. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

More take aways makes me more determined than ever to stay with Princess Standard and pay as I go.  We prepay our tips before we board.  We order those small 375 ml bottles of alcohol to make drinks in our room with the sodas we purchased before we boarded.   I have a princess tumbler that I carry mixed drinks in outside the cabin.  I'm looking out for my bottom line not Princess and always have a great time with out the packages.  Husband buys a few beers here and there. 

• Like 4

I don't think it will make a great deal of difference to us as we usually have the Plus package and generally only do 7 or 8 day cruises so we can still get our two free meals in Alfredo's without too much bother (as long as the Calzone is on one of the fixed menus!!)

20 hours ago, jp2746 said:

I saw on another site that Movies Under the Stars will go to closed captioning and they will only give headsets to Plus and Premier guests.  It could have been a joke but after all of this it isn't too crazy.  Has anyone heard that this will be the case?  I can deal with everything else (although I think it is wrong to change things for poeple who are already booked and paid in full), but this would be really uncool.  Our son doesn't care for the shows, but LOVED watching football by the pool at night.  He also loved going back to the room and staying up late ordering room service while he watches movies.  I will pay the extra for this experience, but if they take away movies and football and I have to read the screen that will be my breaking point.  

How can close captioning only be for plus or premier?  close captioning is on the screen for all to see.

18 minutes ago, senior lady said:

How can close captioning only be for plus or premier?  close captioning is on the screen for all to see.

Not that I believe this gem, but he did say the Plus and Premier get headsets and the other poor joes have to make do with the CC.

• Haha 1

On 7/28/2023 at 2:03 PM, JGmf said:

You are going to cancel b/c of a $5 or $15 here or there extra cost?????

That's your prerogative, of course, but it doesn't seem (to me) like these changes are material enough to drive people to that kind of decision on a multi-day vacation that I'm assuming you've been looking forward to. 

Best to you on your decision.

Agree with your point, but then I've not cruised before.  Isn't Princess on par with all the major lines in implementing the new charges for things like room service and wifi? Not that it lessens the sting of getting charged for what used to be free, but where are you going to go where this isn't the norm? Honestly, I would much rather pay Princess $5 for RS for our entire order than Carnival's new al-a-carte pricing.  Ouch!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, TiredTrucker said:

Agree with your point, but then I've not cruised before.  Isn't Princess on par with all the major lines in implementing the new charges for things like room service and wifi? Not that it lessens the sting of getting charged for what used to be free, but where are you going to go where this isn't the norm? Honestly, I would much rather pay Princess $5 for RS for our entire order than Carnival's new al-a-carte pricing.  Ouch!

Princess is actually lagging behind the other mass market lines with the addition of a fee for room service and pushing packages.  All of them charge for wifi if you do not buy a package that includes it or you get it as part of loyalty status in some form or another.  On most things Princess tends to be a bit lower on drink prices and other add ons.

Part of the reason I think Princess passengers are reacting as much as they are to these changes is because Princess has lagged behind the others so this is new territory for long time Princess passengers.

On 7/29/2023 at 7:56 AM, Jeter02 said:

I do agree with you in regards to how Princess wants to focus on certain groups. Yes travel is a business and these cruise lines will push for anything that seems palatable and attractive in order to bring the money in. Businesses business.

I think this is the bottom line. Princess had a drink package that was expensive and they came to realize they had become a cruise line for the aging population that doesn't drink in excess. The younger groups want to party or they want family activities. They were not choosing Princess unless it was a multigenerational group.  The full packaging which includes the drink package is much more attractive to the group they are trying to attract. The new additions to the Sun are an example of trying to attract the families. Time will tell if they are successful and if those of us who were Princess regulars will choose to jump ship.

First, it is unethical as a service provider(cruise line) to change any cruise charges after a full payment of fares.  I understand how this must really tick-off passengers embarking on cruises in August, Sept. and October to have additional charges levied.

The increased costs for the 2 Pizza restaurants is annoying but IMHO is a not a big deal I just won't go there.  What really ticks me off is the $15.00 charge for use of a Princess App, Ocean Ready and Ocean now.  Princess gets a great deal of data from that app, which is very glitchy.  It's like McDonalds charging to use their app once a year, assuming you only do one cruise.  I wonder if back to back cruise will generate 2 charges?

In general  the way Princess is going the loyalty benefits are useless, I am Elite, and after 25 years of a Line that was a Premium product now it is just run of the mill.  When you look at total fare and additional costs, the true all inclusive Premium Cruise Lines are becoming very much more comparable cost wise especially on longer cruise lengths.

Edited by Aeronaut767
spelling
  • Like 1

My only disappointment to these changes (and forgive me if I missed someone already posting it, as I just skimmed much of the thread) is that the number of "free" meals you get at the casual  dining (like Alfredo's/Gigis) doesn't change based on the days.

I realize things could change.  In 2024 we are taking a cruise to Hawaii.  We get 2 free meals at the pizza joint.  

If we were to have lunch there every day (not out of the question), it's going to cost us a bit of money.

Yes, I know we can go to the top deck and enjoy a slice, but not sure it's the same.

The downside, is that if we were doing a 7 day cruise we still get 2 freebies.

That confuses me a little.  Anyone able to explain it?  This change doesn't upset me, and we are still going to see what's what.  But wondered why only 2 regardless of the number of days you are sailing.  Does this mean folks on the world cruise only get 2 freebies at the pizza join in their 100+ day cruise?

Counting down the days 🙂

• Like 2

On 7/28/2023 at 10:25 AM, Steelers36 said:

I checked off Standard without really thinking much about it.  I don't see us changing.  It comes down to drinks for the most part.  

We get Elite mini-bar

The same. DH does not drink and I am a light drinker. Between the two bottles of wine we are allowed and the mini bar; I don't need much more. I expect we can still bring canned soda on board and will do so in a week or so when we board in NYC.

• Like 1

On 7/28/2023 at 10:03 AM, beg3yrs said:

We're booked on the Discovery in April of 2024 with the old Plus-50 package. Did some quick math to see if we should upgrade to the current package.

Cost to upgrade a ten day cruise for two people: 2 people x $10 per day per person x 10 days is $200.

Cost savings over ten days:

1) Two Ocean Now initial fees: $30

2) Room service by phone fee - say once per day over ten days: $50

3) Four casual dining meals at $15 each: $60

4) Don't eat the desserts.

5) Don't use the special exercise classes.

Total of $140 in savings versus a $200 cost. We could still have four more casual dining meals and break even or up to 12 more room service by phone orders. Seems like unless you're a big casual dining fan or are an obsessive phone order for room service type, it's not worth it to upgrade.  Am I missing something?

We usually order room service once during a 7 day cruise.  Yesterday we ordered, never got the ketsup and order 2 cookie orders - received 2 cookies.

2 hours ago, Aeronaut767 said:

What really ticks me off is the $15.00 charge for use of a Princess App, Ocean Ready and Ocean now.  Princess gets a great deal of data from that app, which is very glitchy.  It's like McDonalds charging to use their app once a year, assuming you only do one cruise.  I wonder if back to back cruise will generate 2 charges?

What is the $15 charge actually for? I haven't sailed Princess and your post has me confused.  Isn't Ocean Ready the name of the app? And they charge for the app? Or only the use of Ocean Now via the app, which is like room service for drinks?

1 hour ago, Fuzzyape said:

My only disappointment to these changes (and forgive me if I missed someone already posting it, as I just skimmed much of the thread) is that the number of "free" meals you get at the casual  dining (like Alfredo's/Gigis) doesn't change based on the days.

I realize things could change.  In 2024 we are taking a cruise to Hawaii.  We get 2 free meals at the pizza joint.  

If we were to have lunch there every day (not out of the question), it's going to cost us a bit of money.

Yes, I know we can go to the top deck and enjoy a slice, but not sure it's the same.

The downside, is that if we were doing a 7 day cruise we still get 2 freebies.

That confuses me a little.  Anyone able to explain it?  This change doesn't upset me, and we are still going to see what's what.  But wondered why only 2 regardless of the number of days you are sailing.  Does this mean folks on the world cruise only get 2 freebies at the pizza join in their 100+ day cruise?

Counting down the days 🙂

I am one of the ones that likes the slice pizza on the upper deck better than GiGi;s

I would not spend $15 each to at at Gigi

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, TiredTrucker said:

What is the $15 charge actually for? I haven't sailed Princess and your post has me confused.  Isn't Ocean Ready the name of the app? And they charge for the app? Or only the use of Ocean Now via the app, which is like room service for drinks?

It is the Ocean Now function of the overall App that will incur a one-time charge per voyage.  It seems this has been very popular, as well as ordering from Room Service, and perhaps they need to augment staff and that costs.  Also, other lines do charge for RS and similar I have read and their fees are higher or the same.

• Thanks 1

I was concerned about my 2024 Australia to Japan voyage as there's limited obc on it, CA fixed at 14.50 (redeployed 3× from 2021), would plus be worth it??

Just A$400 on it as USD$ converts to A$ dollar to dollar (FCD & Shareholders)

304.50 CA
157.50 Wifi (Elite)
462.00 Prepay 

Plus would add $1260 + 8% insurance charge to fare but that's a lot for tea & activating ON / 2 Casual Dining trips ($45 + 18% value)

But going forward I will strongly consider booking Plus for simplicity or buying it onboard if I have a boatload of OBC

Edited by Ombud