Changes to Princess Plus, room service fees, Alfredo's and others. Fee changes. Etc

LMaxwell

8 minutes ago, BDevilCruiser said:

Actually, there's a another change.  Plus and Premier now get to eat at other Casual restaurants for no additional charge (two/unlimited times.)  But good summary on the "negatives".

You pointed out, but has been missed by many, that the information/announcement came from a TA presentation.  It appears one of the points they emphasized was that there's now more benefits to getting the Plus/Premier package than booking just the Standard Fare*, and by the way, you as a TA get a bigger commission on the added package than you would if your client books the Standard.  So (PCL talking) help us increase our profits, and yours too, by pushing the higher packages.

*some of these benefits used to be included for Standard Fare passengers.

While that is part of the details it is really not an increased cost.  Much of the discussion here has been about the impact on packages and their value, pretty much what I expected Princess intended.

But as far as price increases and cost it remains those three.

Then one can look at how they personally might mitigate the impact of those cost increases/

FOUND IT:

Oh, forgot, what are Prix Fixe meals?

We’re introducing exciting new 3-course prixe meals at our casual dining venues. These vary by ship, but include: O’Malley’s, Ocean Terrace, Vines, Alfredo’s Pizzeria, Gigi’s Pizzeria, Kai Sushi, Planks, BBQ, Steamers and Salty Dog Gastropub.

So this is a nice perk I guess, other than loosing Alfredos as a complimentary venue.

Edited by KKB

1 minute ago, simong said:

princess like every other business, is going to exploit the opportunity to add to their bottom line as people have no regard for their financial well being going totally off kilter borrowing to go on trips which are fine if folks can afford them , hotels and other forms of travel are out of site. we need a recession to correct this, and i am adjusting my travel plans like other cruise lines since princess no longer values loyal cruisers. That was coming gradually for a while now. they want new cruisers whom will spend money on more profitable areas vs experienced cruisers. bottom line find your best value for your personal travel needs

According to the RCL CEO on CNBC the other day he still considers cruising to be a 35% discount to a comparable land vacation, up from 15 to 20% pre covid shutdown, but down from 45% last year due to the already enacted price increases and some softening of airline and hotel prices.  Expect more increases.

34 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Princess should send out a mass email to all booked guests on Old plans to announce the changes and use it as an opportunity to suggest they upgrade and how to do it.  Otherwise, they are made aware at varying times in advance of sailing.  For all I know, they are doing this.

They should also send out a different email to all guests booked on the New plans and explain the changes and what they are getting included now and they don't need to do anything (unless of course they have been thinking of upgrading to Premier).  Advise and market at the same time.

A transparent Princess would also generate a third email to all booked guests on Standard and let them know of the changes and again use the opportunity to suggest they may want to add a package now with all the new benefits included.  Advise and market at the same time.

IMO, it creates better goodwill than surprising thousands of guests each week for the next couple of months until word spreads more.  Even then, not everyone will know.

They really should. But, that’s normally not the way they handle it.  It seems someone just stumbles upon the change online or OB and starts to question it.

The webinar is a start to transparency, even though it is for TA’s, it is also open to the public.  But, it was not advertised by PCL and we know about it only because of some great CC members who are also TA’s.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

What we noticed on RCCL was how expensive the drinks, SD, room service, rides etc.  I think overall PCL is still a better value.  

Yep, that has been where Princess has positioned themselves.  Even with the price increases they remain the value adult focused mass market line.  Will be interesting to see what changes after the Sun and Star launch.

9 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

The biggest cut now is not combining the military and Stockholder credit. The loyalty credit which was incremental starting at 25 cruises. Now the charge for room service. other charges/cutbacks are as follows and not a full list

Delivery/Mailing of the medallion

Loss of upgraded bathroom amenities

lack of tote bags

lack of slippers

most of full suite amenities

charge for second entree in MDR

I remember the days when:

you had notepaper and envelopes in your cabin (with the ship name and "written at sea" on the paper)

the soda package was less than $10 a day and included a tumbler and cool curly straw with an animal attached

turndown service with chocolates and (sometimes) towel animals

passport book with collectable stamps each cruise

coffee cards and ability to switch out the mini bar for them and use them on other sailings

Not saying that any of the above had much impact on me, persoanlly, but they are still cuts to what WAS there and now isn't...

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

These new changes won't really affect me. I haven't used room service (don't plan to), will order my drinks from one of the bars (not sure why you would wait 20 minutes for a drink when using the app) and haven't tried all the other eateries (but maybe now I might since I have Princess Plus) The biggest change that will affect me is the MOBC & SOBC. I now travel solo and since I'm a veteran I'll get my MOBC but I won't get my SOBC. If that doesn't change, I'll sell my stock. 

• Like 1

Have you seen the large thread on these changes?  All the information is there.

Princess has always had several casual dining venues across the fleet and it varies as to which ones are on which ships, but all seem to have the Lido pizza, burgers and cones places.

Anyway, some of these casual dining places have food for a fee - like the new desserts, like juice bar, like O'Malley's, like Salty Dog.  The new change is that Alfredo's/Gigi's joins the for-fee list and is no longer free.  Menu items will be sold a la carte or guest can pay prix fixe $15 for 3-course/item meal.

If guest has new Plus (paid $60), they get two free visits to casual dining where it otherwise costs.  This is per booked voyage (regardless of length).  If guest has new Premier (paid $80), they get unlimited free casual dining.   The value of each visit is $15 and it is all consumed whether guest spends the full $15 or not.

If guest is on Old plans, they either pay as they go (like Standard guests), or they can upgrade to new Plus/Premier.

Edited by Steelers36

16 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

The biggest cut now is not combining the military and Stockholder credit. The loyalty credit which was incremental starting at 25 cruises. Now the charge for room service. other charges/cutbacks are as follows and not a full list

Delivery/Mailing of the medallion

Loss of upgraded bathroom amenities

lack of tote bags

lack of slippers

most of full suite amenities

charge for second entree in MDR

Those are not captains circle or loyalty benefits.  Only the bag of toiletry items was one of those.

If one wants to list changes in business practices or terms over the last X number of years a lot of things have changed.

Looking at the impact of your list really how much of an impact are they.  Picking up the medaliion at the pier adds maybe a minute or two.  At far as bathroom amenities, tote bags, and through away slippers really what is the value and do most even notice that they are gone.  I think that I have a few stuck away in a closet somewhere.

5 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

I remember the days when:

you had notepaper and envelopes in your cabin (with the ship name and "written at sea" on the paper)

the soda package was less than $10 a day and included a tumbler and cool curly straw with an animal attached

turndown service with chocolates and (sometimes) towel animals

passport book with collectable stamps each cruise

coffee cards and ability to switch out the mini bar for them and use them on other sailings

Not saying that any of the above had much impact on me, persoanlly, but they are still cuts to what WAS there and now isn't...

Chrome pens with that pad of paper

leather like room key holders

Umbrella in closet

Satin sleep bags with bath bomb, sleep mask, other goodies

Sewing kits

Gold mesh bags in bathroom with nail files, q-tips,  linen spray, loofah sponge, gel eye mask, lip balm

More I just can't remember it all

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, nasa1974 said:

These new changes won't really affect me. I haven't used room service (don't plan to), will order my drinks from one of the bars (not sure why you would wait 20 minutes for a drink when using the app) and haven't tried all the other eateries (but maybe now I might since I have Princess Plus) The biggest change that will affect me is the MOBC & SOBC. I now travel solo and since I'm a veteran I'll get my MOBC but I won't get my SOBC. If that doesn't change, I'll sell my stock. 

Yep you are one of those that get impacted.  Keep in mind that if you try another CCL owned line HAL, Cunard, P&O, etc. they also have the shareholder benefit so unless you only sail on Princess you may want to keep it.  Since the change does not impact the benefit on other CCL owned lines.  I have gotten it this year on HAL and P&O. 

1 minute ago, cruzsnooze said:

Umbrella in closet

Sewing kits

Gold mesh bags in bathroom with nail files, q-tips,  linen spray, loofah sponge, gel eye mask, lip balm

Again the gold mesh bag is the only captains circle benefit.

Keep digging  be sure and add no more Pacific Princes and removal of barrel chairs.

At this point this topic has been discussed ad nauseum.

Cruisers need to put their money where their mouth is.  If you're so incensed by these changes don't book with Princess and venture out to competition.  Cancel the remaining cruises you have booked with Princess if that window is open.  The changes are coming and complaining won't change that fact.  IMO, when Princess cruisers see the prices of the "adult focused" competition many will continue to sail with Princess.

The effects of a change always lag.  It'll be a while before Princess can quantify if this change was for the better or the worse.  It's also at this time that they will decide if a pivot in strategy is in order or if they should continue in the same trajectory.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

Umbrella in closet

Sewing kits

Pretty soon your cabin will be like a KOA campground cabin.  Bring your own sheets and towels.

Edited by SargassoPirate
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, JGmf said:

This.  Well said. 

It's fascinating to read the subset of people threatening to cancel Princess now and forever over measly increases.

I am guessing that you feel exactly how Princess was hoping….they want you to think this is MEASLY so they can keep doing it to you over and over again and hear that their loyal cruisers will never leave them.
In my opinion though, these measly increases are starting to really add up.    They raised the price of the Plus package TWICE since the restart after the pandemic.    It was briefly $40 prior to pandemic then went to $50 and now $60.   Made measly changes to Plus and created Premier for $80.   I am not sure that’s measly to some.  Also, you watch, they’ll raise these package prices again really soon.  They took away the chocolates on the pillow, stopped giving the blue tote bags, no bars of soap in cabins, started charging to have medallions shipped, no paper/pen in room and yes…these are all quite measly but were a nice standout luxury perk for low cost to Princess, changing Alfredo’s/ Gigi’s and room service, etc to paid options puts them on Carnival’s level.    I am sure I am forgetting some other measly changes but these are all starting to rapidly add up and take away from the once luxury Princess cruise.   I enjoyed the luxury feel and low volume of children on board.   I have been very loyal to Princess and have sailed them exclusively for my last 31 cruises and it’s starting to make me rethink this decision and branch out to other cruise lines again.    Princess is now very standard and competitive with all the other lines with no additional standout amenities.    This is also minor and would be no cost to Princess but I was watching YouTube videos of people boarding other cruise line ships and as you board, the welcome committee as you board was so amazing.  Cheering for you with full enthusiasm as you board.  They were showing the excitement to have you aboard.   You board a Princess cruise and there’s nothing but someone scanning your medallion.    There are so many things they could do for such low cost that would elevate our experience but instead, they are taking those things away.    I truly feel like they want us to just have a Carnival experience at the Princess price and heck, Carnival still does towel animals for their customers, where as Princess is doing NOTHING extra at all.   Of course they are doing all of the recent changes to try to bully everyone into buying a package.   They are hoping we the customer don’t do the math vs. our own personal needs and just pay the measly package price.    We should all experience other cruise lines and perhaps that would make Princess stop and rethink all these measly changes and everything they keep taking away from us.  

• Like 5

1 minute ago, tawlaw1526 said:

I am guessing that you feel exactly how Princess was hoping….they want you to think this is MEASLY so they can keep doing it to you over and over again and hear that their loyal cruisers will never leave them.
In my opinion though, these measly increases are starting to really add up.    They raised the price of the Plus package TWICE since the restart after the pandemic.    It was briefly $40 prior to pandemic then went to $50 and now $60.   Made measly changes to Plus and created Premier for $80.   I am not sure that’s measly to some.  Also, you watch, they’ll raise these package prices again really soon.  They took away the chocolates on the pillow, stopped giving the blue tote bags, no bars of soap in cabins, started charging to have medallions shipped, no paper/pen in room and yes…these are all quite measly but were a nice standout luxury perk for low cost to Princess, changing Alfredo’s/ Gigi’s and room service, etc to paid options puts them on Carnival’s level.    I am sure I am forgetting some other measly changes but these are all starting to rapidly add up and take away from the once luxury Princess cruise.   I enjoyed the luxury feel and low volume of children on board.   I have been very loyal to Princess and have sailed them exclusively for my last 31 cruises and it’s starting to make me rethink this decision and branch out to other cruise lines again.    Princess is now very standard and competitive with all the other lines with no additional standout amenities.    This is also minor and would be no cost to Princess but I was watching YouTube videos of people boarding other cruise line ships and as you board, the welcome committee as you board was so amazing.  Cheering for you with full enthusiasm as you board.  They were showing the excitement to have you aboard.   You board a Princess cruise and there’s nothing but someone scanning your medallion.    There are so many things they could do for such low cost that would elevate our experience but instead, they are taking those things away.    I truly feel like they want us to just have a Carnival experience at the Princess price and heck, Carnival still does towel animals for their customers, where as Princess is doing NOTHING extra at all.   Of course they are doing all of the recent changes to try to bully everyone into buying a package.   They are hoping we the customer don’t do the math vs. our own personal needs and just pay the measly package price.    We should all experience other cruise lines and perhaps that would make Princess stop and rethink all these measly changes and everything they keep taking away from us.  

There are a rather long list of other cruise lines out there for you to take your business to.  Oh except they are also making or have made similar changes (usually before Princess did) or they are much more expensive and have still made changes.

Hate to tell you but when I check Carnival Prices they actually tend to be higher than Princess for 2  two adults on many itineraries for similar cabins.  

2 hours ago, cruising.mark.uk said:

This thread might illustrate the 'depth of feeling' of perhaps 50 posters who cruise with Princess, so if each speaks for 2 passengers, that's a total of maybe 100 of the, for the sake of argument, 500000 to one million who cruise with them per year.   And those 50 come from a particular demographic / experience level which probably makes them very atypical of the typical current Princess cruises, let alone the 'new' demographic that Princess is targeting.  So, I am sure the corporate offices will bear that in mind and give the views of this tiny minority of passengers appropriate weighting if and when they look at this thread, in the same way that they'll give an appropriate weighting to the views of the 99.95% of their passengers who haven't expressed their 'depth of feeling' on this thread, but may do so via other means.

Or, not even be aware of the changes.  Some will find out once OB.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, swabs said:

Those of us on here have found out about the forthcoming changes - when / how  do Princess intend to inform us officially of the changes ? 

We have booked a holiday and now what  we booked has changed!

They have listed the changes by updating our cruise summary in our online account, as I posted in #1150. Basically, upgrade if you want what you already had, before they took it away! We sail in 3 weeks. 

1 minute ago, villauk said:

They have listed the changes by updating our cruise summary in our online account, as I posted in #1150. Basically, upgrade if you want what you already had, before they took it away! We sail in 3 weeks. 

Did they send out an email about the changes?  Or, did it just appear in your travel summary?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, tawlaw1526 said:

tawlaw1526; thank you for voicing your opinion and describing what these changes mean to you personally.  There are those who feel these changes mean little and don't consider how they affect others.  Thanks again.

19 minutes ago, tawlaw1526 said:

They took away the chocolates on the pillow, stopped giving the blue tote bags, no bars of soap in cabins,..., no paper/pen in room

Do you realize that most times this stuff ended in the trash, especially for frequent cruisers?  Waste of money and effort.  Most airlines have gone to a barebones amenity kit or giving them only when asked for in First and Business because it's an easy way to save on money and waste.

• Like 2

Just now, PacnGoNow said:

Did they send out an email about the changes?  Or, did it just appear in your travel summary?

Just in the travel summary. Surprisingly, not in an email 😏. We did receive an email though informing us that we will still have to collect the medallion at the port, but they intend rolling out the delivery to the U.K. and Canada later this year. It didn’t state whether we would now be removed from the ‘Green Lane’ as we can’t obviously have our medallion shipped pre-cruise 🤷‍♀️.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, dlh015 said:

I forget (soooo many pages...), did you book before the December cutoff, hence the so-called Plus-50??

Yes, we’re on the ‘old’ Plus 50 and I will not be upgrading, no matter how many times they keep plugging it!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1