Best of the obstructed view balcony cabins on Discovery Princess?

Tinknock50

49 minutes ago, Tinknock50 said:

Which is the best of the obstructed view balcony cabins on Discovery Princess? Or it's sister ships?

Thanks!

34 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

The midship ones have the least amount of obstruction.  

Look at the deck plans for the Emerald deck midship balcony cabins to find ones with larger balconies all with no obstructions looking out & only when looking down onto Promenade deck.

This is E409 on Discovery Princess:

IMG_6950.png

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Like 3

When you check the deck plans, look for balconies that are over the promenade deck. There are usually tables for Alfredo’s on one side and maybe The Catch on the other. These balconies have no obstruction looking out, but when you look straight down you will see the promenade deck. Some of these balconies are larger than a standard balcony too.

The cabins not midship will have lifeboats either floor level, railing level, or above railing level- depends on the ship.

• Like 1

We love the L101/102 cabins over the bridge. Huge balcony. Some do not like that far forward, but it does not bother us. They do NOT lock the balcony door while underway, but it can be too windy to use the balcony on occasion. So far we have never had a problem. Our Mom uses a wheel chair and it is so convenient to get from the cabin to the buffet, also the forward elevators are not as busy as the center ones. With a wheel chair, you are dependent on the elevators. Drawback: there are only two on deck 16 and two on deck 15. 102/104 are similar, but the balconies are a little narrower.

• Thanks 1

We had E406 Deluxe obstructed view on the Royal,  and it had a bigger balcony with a fine view.  It was a great location and the loveseat was good for us because I traveled with elderly MIL, and she spent a lot of time in the cabin.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, EllieinNJ said:

We picked E417 on the Enchanted Princess.  Can the people walking on the promenade deck see you if you are sitting on your balcony?

Here’s the view looking up towards the midship cabins with larger balconies from the open Promenade deck…it’s never been a problem for us.

image.thumb.jpeg.a3bb0f224f6b972fa2bcd451ff034dec.jpeg

Open Promenade deck where it’s possible to look up towards balcony cabins (below E436).

image.thumb.jpeg.4ad36d6792900a5fd671ecfae7643d1c.jpeg

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Like 1

On 7/31/2023 at 7:39 PM, Ombud said:

I pick E403-E433 as I really don't care about obstructions below my room look at 'obstruction' from Promenade Deck by desk. And actually E425 deck was larger20230731_193812.thumb.jpg.236ec0958d66def1cf98dc7a7d7ac7c0.jpg

Cabin E425 has opened up.  Called my agent and I hope he is quick enough to get it .🙂

One thing I have noted is that Discovery is unique from others in this class because it has some white steel canopies covering the promenade, so you could say it is a bit more "obstructed" as far as seeing the water surface from the balcony

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Tinknock50 said:

Cabin E425 has opened up.  Called my agent and I hope he is quick enough to get it .🙂

One thing I have noted is that Discovery is unique from others in this class because it has some white steel canopies covering the promenade, so you could say it is a bit more "obstructed" as far as seeing the water surface from the balcony

E425 is a BW w/o a sofa. Just to be aware .... and yes Astro Flyer has a pic of that canopy. Wonder if that gives more privacy to those on both decks (Promenade and Emerald).

1 hour ago, Ombud said:

E425 is a BW w/o a sofa. Just to be aware .... and yes Astro Flyer has a pic of that canopy. Wonder if that gives more privacy to those on both decks (Promenade and Emerald).

Correct. The Deluxe Obstructed have sofas. DW. They are longer from entry door to balcony so room for a sofa.

I think it would give more privacy to both.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
16 minutes ago, victory2020 said:

So all of the obstructions are from underneath - no lifeboats in front of balconies? I talked my friends into GTY obstructed because it was so much cheaper. I hope I'm right.

No, not all obstructed balconies are from an obstruction below.  Some have lifeboats in front of them. It depends on which cabin.  So GTY is a gamble, but it does save money.

Hopefully I am allowed to link a great site that has pictures of obstructions based on which ship and cabin. I have linked Discovery as an example.

https://www.cruisedeckplans.com/ships/ov.php?ship=Discovery-Princess&cabins=E501-E535

Edited by ColoradoMom!!
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, villageidit said:

Had cabin E107 on Discovery. Great oversized balcony that was obstructed because the railing was solid metal instead of clear. 

I concur; I’m in E105 right now.

all the “nose of the ship” obstructed balconies are BIG balconies with no ACTUAL obstructions.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I sailed in E306 on Discovery Princess and I would not book that again unless it was a super cheap deal. Here are some photos from the balcony, for reference. The equipment really blocked our view towards the aft, and when sitting in the chairs on the balcony, you really couldn't see much of the ocean. Plus, we had a nice "surprise" when a worker was inside one of the lifeboats doing maintenance one morning, LOL!

IMG_2860.jpg

IMG_2861.jpg

69723741849__B6572BC1-E306-4BF2-8F5F-8FED71676C2F.jpg

IMG_2910.jpg