Any experience with the Cat HH on the Volendam or Zaandam?

POA1

There are quite a few Cat H (obstructed because of being on the Promenade Deck 3) cabins that look to be below the galley. Or at least a large mystery area in front of the dining room. We have a neighbor who's considering one & asked about the noise. There are guest rooms below, but what about noise from above? They kind of like the ones 3 or 4 rooms behind the starboard, middle stairs.

I know this is a pretty random, specific question, but it sorts seems like if it's not in HAL CC's wheelhouse, no one would know.

Port side aft on deck can be noisy and there used to be very obvious vibration anywhere near the stacks, both sides on that deck.  The Zaandam used to have a really strange area on deck aft where you could hear something like a bread mixer in the evenings.  People would stop in their deck walks and listen.  I would think this is fixed by now. Although this is not specific info, it gives ideas of the possibilities.

Edited by SilvertoGold

Thanks for your help! Of course, now I'm going to have to explain what Club Orange is, so maybe I should just say, "Nope, you don't want a stateroom there." 😉

Edited by POA1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Crusin-Suzan said:

Love it on the 3 rd deck!  You can walk easily outside!

I agree, if you pick your cabin.  Small ships tend to have problem areas since everything is compressed.  I had a similar noise issue on Deck 6 of the Zaandam .  Thinking the theatre productions would be done by 10 that it would be a great cabin but I failed to consider rehearsals interfering with nap time. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, POA1 said:

Thanks for your help! Of course, now I'm going to have to explain what Club Orange is, so maybe I should just say, "Nope, you don't want a stateroom there." 😉

Say it - say it!!🤫

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, POA1 said:

Or you could just tell them to read the 3 million posts/threads here about CO!

That should only take about as long as the cruise.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Promenade Deck on the Volendam/Zaandam, from the mid-ship elevator to the aft elevator banks is directly under the galley and storage areas. They are busy at night, and noisy. 
If you want to stay on friendly terms with your neighbor, I suggest you warn the neighbor off from cabins under there. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Making me nervous about my H GTY on the Zaandam!  Any suggestions?  I checked out CO, but it doesn't seem to make any sense to get it on the Zaandam, plus the rep wouldn't allow me to pay in USD, making it something like $38.00/day in CND.  I have a US credit card with a credit balance and wanted to apply the CO payment to that card, but she said it wasn't possible.

Edited by trixiee
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, trixiee said:

Making me nervous about my H GTY on the Zaandam!  Any suggestions?  I checked out CO, but it doesn't seem to make any sense to get it on the Zaandam, plus the rep wouldn't allow me to pay in USD, making it something like $38.00/day in CND.  I have a US credit card with a credit balance and wanted to apply the CO payment to that card, but she said it wasn't possible.

I had a guarantee on the Volendam (grand cruise segment).  Once it was assigned my agent and I got on the phone with upsell.  I had to pick through a lot of losers until we came up with a happy solution and for a very good price. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, FlorenceItaly said:

I have a FF guarantee on the Zaandam.  Is this higher or lower than the H and HH category.  The categories confuse me.  This is for a 28 day and for us it didn't make financial sense to add club Orange.  Thank you!

FF is higher than H/HH.  I think you'll be fine.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, trixiee said:

Making me nervous about my H GTY on the Zaandam!  Any suggestions?

Cross the bridge when you get your assignment. My family has stayed in the H-category 3372-3380 on the port side midships and even though they are under white galley space, it must be deep storage as we heard nothing on either Zaandam or Volendam. There are only four H oceanviews fully under the galley 

3388 3383
3398 3393

as well as ten under the forward theater. There are also E and EE under the galley as well as HH.

3403/3406 and aft are under the dining room and no worry. 

• Like 1