Sun bed hogs.

Malleykatt

7 minutes ago, The Greater Fool said:

My spouse and I don't spend much time around the pool, but on the occasions on which we choose to for an hour (never near prime-time) or so:

1. we look for a couple empty seats.  If they are available, yippy;

2. we look around for a couple chairs that seem too neat to have been used; We then ask folks nearby if they have been used recently; If not, we put their items on the table and sit down;  Otherwise, we repeat until we find a likely set of chairs;

3. Typically, we sit for our hour or so, then move on after we replace the items we moved;

-

On the extremely rare occasions the original chair users show up, it goes one of two ways:

1) We get up immediately and move on... thanking them for the use of the chairs, no harm done.  Since no one ever returned within a 1/2 hour, it was a win-win for everyone involved;

2) The people stopped us from getting up, grabbed their things and left the deck.  Again, a win-win;

Good luck,

Tek

You guys are way too polite to people who do not deserve that courtesy.

DON

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

All great entertainment 😂 as I always sit on the deck above the pool deck. Birds eye view. 🤣 About 10 years ago I was called a chair hog here on CC because I said I sit in the same lounger for hours on the deck above the pool enjoying the view and my BP. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, doghog said:

All great entertainment 😂 as I always sit on the deck above the pool deck. Birds eye view. 🤣 About 10 years ago I was called a chair hog here on CC because I said I sit in the same lounger for hours on the deck above the pool enjoying the view and my BP. 

If you are using it for hours it's not what I see as a problem it's those that " reserve " a bed and turn up later that are annoying.

Was funny seeing people wrapped up in blankets and towel this morning as the fog horn was blasting through the fog! Just for a sunbed! 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/11/2023 at 10:30 AM, Greg4502 said:

This is a good one. It occurred on the last cruise I was on. Never seen it before. Some had locked two lounge chairs together with a cable bicycle lock. It was the scuttle butt for that day.

Some have what is called the KYSS  bag from the company of the same name: Keep Your Stuff Safe.  It's a tote bag with a chain and combination lock that can secure two chaise lounges.  We're not chair hogs but when we go to breakfast or lunch or a dip in the pool, we can rest assured that our chairs will be safe. 

4 hours ago, Pickels said:

We're not chair hogs but when we go to breakfast or lunch or a dip in the pool, we can rest assured that our chairs will be safe. 

If it's the buffet you're referring to, most people can eat there & get back to the chair in around 30 minutes, but not the dining room.

That's takes a hour at the least.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Pickels said:

Some have what is called the KYSS  bag from the company of the same name: Keep Your Stuff Safe.  It's a tote bag with a chain and combination lock that can secure two chaise lounges.  We're not chair hogs but when we go to breakfast or lunch or a dip in the pool, we can rest assured that our chairs will be safe. 

Quick question.  How long does it usually take you to eat lunch?

DON

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

If it's the buffet you're referring to, most people can eat there & get back to the chair in around 30 minutes, but not the dining room.

That's takes a hour at the least.

That would be completely reasonable. Taking time to eat is not a problem. It’s the folks who leave in the early morning and don’t return until the afternoon that really annoy me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I really wonder if this whole chair hog thing is a real or imaginary problem. 

Are people really not able to find a chair at all, or can they just not find one exactly where they want? 
I’ve seen a couple of instances where chairs sit unoccupied by humans but do have books, bags, etc scattered about. But in a dozen or more cruises, those are very rare. 
I really think this is just something people like to kvetch about. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MrSchwump said:

Are people really not able to find a chair at all, or can they just not find one exactly where they want? 
I’ve seen a couple of instances where chairs sit unoccupied by humans but do have books, bags, etc scattered about. But in a dozen or more cruises, those are very rare. 

Yes it's real. OP back again.  We went for an early breakfast on our sea day and all beds had gone around the pool at 8am. Ok grabbed towels....adult only all gone by 9 no sunbeds right up to Vista. It's definitely a Brit thing we had clips on media over here of holiday makers grabbing beds at hotels in Europe. Grabbing and using against grabbing and turning up later are two different things. Looking for other options for our next cruise.

• Like 2

On 8/30/2023 at 11:08 AM, MrSchwump said:

Only happened once with us. It was a spring break Mexico cruise. Oops! haha Every single chair, including ones not at the pool were "taken" by towels, books, etc. starting before 8am. One day I walked to a row of humanless chairs away from the pool, moved a book and sat down. After an hour I got up, replaced the book and never saw a soul.

• Like 2

On 8/11/2023 at 2:31 PM, doghog said:

This is me. My favorite spot is on Enchanted Sun Deck, where you exit from the cabin area there is an overhang where you have shade and a great view of the pool and MUTS.  Yes, i am there early and all day usually if its a sea day. I will leave to get a drink or lunch at the Lido Grill, to bring back to my chair, or a quick trip to the  cabin (Lido or Sun deck) for the restroom. Otherwise I (or my husband) is in that chair. IMHO we are not chair hogs if we are USING the chair.  Others play bingo, trivia, gamble, drink, etc. This is my sea day activity!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, Buckeye10640 said:

This is me. My favorite spot is on Enchanted Sun Deck, where you exit from the cabin area there is an overhang where you have shade and a great view of the pool and MUTS.  Yes, i am there early and all day usually if its a sea day. I will leave to get a drink or lunch at the Lido Grill, to bring back to my chair, or a quick trip to the  cabin (Lido or Sun deck) for the restroom. Otherwise I (or my husband) is in that chair. IMHO we are not chair hogs if we are USING the chair.  Others play bingo, trivia, gamble, drink, etc. This is my sea day activity!

We are the same on what we get up and do and I've been called a chair hog on here for just getting up and getting food or going to the bathroom.  It's so silly to think that is hogging a chair.

• Like 2

On 8/2/2023 at 1:43 PM, scooter6139 said:

I don't consider a chair "occupied" unless it has someone personal stuff on it.  A Princess towel does not count IMHO.  I'd watch it for a few minutes, then just take it over.  It's like the same folks who "cluster" some loungers together to claim them all.  

We do the same as you. We cruise Oceania most often & they do remove items after 30 min.