RoyalUp- Changing locations

LT4221

We have a baby who will be in a pack n play on our October cruise. We originally booked an interior room, not really thinking through the PNP situation. Our room is going to be TIGHT and we will basically be confined to our bed during naps and once he goes to bed. We have the option to try and RoyalUp to an Oceaview or Neighborhood balcony room, which would at lease allow us to sit on the balcony during naps or until we are ready to go to bed. Since we cant choose the location, I am nervous about getting put in a location with alot of noise and having the disrupt the babies sleep. Im fully aware this is part of the RoyalUp gamble and that the rule is you cant change locations after they are assigned. But my question is, has anyone had experience being in a noisy room and being able to switch once on board upon request and availability? I would think they would rather have a happy customer and switch them to another room if available instead of saying 'well thats the RoyalUp rule so youre out of luck' It is also very expensive to upgrade on our own at this point as the prices have more than doubled since we booked, so that really isnt an option. 

Been sailing with Royal for over 25 years and never had  a noisy cabin except for a forward outside porthole on Majesty. We were woken with every anchor drop. It probably won't be a problem but no guarantees.

• Like 1

On the Oasis class ships we book Boardwalk balconies all the time and have never had a problem with noise UNTIL we sailed on the Wonder.  

On the other ships the latest Aqua show was always over about 10:45 however on this ship they did not start the second show until after 11:00pm so it was almost midnight before it was over and it was LOUD!!!  This happened several nights during the week.

We had another Boardwalk balcony booked for September and I called and got it changed!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LT4221 said:

But my question is, has anyone had experience being in a noisy room and being able to switch once on board upon request and availability?

Not only are the chances of any other same category cabin being available extremely low (O class ships are likely sailing well over 100% capacity), but it's also very unlikely they'll allow it anyway.

7 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

I have changed locations within assigned category with Royal Up same as guarantee. If there is anything available.

Did you change once on board or were you able to call ahead of time?

42 minutes ago, LT4221 said:

Did you change once on board or were you able to call ahead of time?

No you have to do it ahead of time if you can find an empty cabin. However this was when cruising just resumed and there was mire availability. Not so easy or cheap now so might not be available anymore.

Edited by c-leg5

1 hour ago, c-leg5 said:

I have changed locations within assigned category with Royal Up same as guarantee. If there is anything available.

Nice to know and I agree if you're just changing locations and there's cabins available a call to RCI wouldn't hurt. I certainly would do this before boarding .

Edited by Ashland

3 hours ago, LT4221 said:

We have a baby who will be in a pack n play on our October cruise. We originally booked an interior room, not really thinking through the PNP situation. Our room is going to be TIGHT and we will basically be confined to our bed during naps and once he goes to bed. We have the option to try and RoyalUp to an Oceaview or Neighborhood balcony room, which would at lease allow us to sit on the balcony during naps or until we are ready to go to bed. Since we cant choose the location, I am nervous about getting put in a location with alot of noise and having the disrupt the babies sleep. Im fully aware this is part of the RoyalUp gamble and that the rule is you cant change locations after they are assigned. But my question is, has anyone had experience being in a noisy room and being able to switch once on board upon request and availability? I would think they would rather have a happy customer and switch them to another room if available instead of saying 'well thats the RoyalUp rule so youre out of luck' It is also very expensive to upgrade on our own at this point as the prices have more than doubled since we booked, so that really isnt an option. 

Because of the way  Royal up works  they will fill every cabin above insides so there won't be any cabins to switch to.

The only cabins left will be insides. 

15 hours ago, LT4221 said:

Im fully aware this is part of the RoyalUp gamble and that the rule is you cant change locations after they are assigned.

15 hours ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Once assigned a Royal Up, you cannot change the cabin. The noise should not be too bad if the balcony doors are closed.  Or, if you have Wi-Fi you can download a white noise or other noise app. 

M

We have changed an assigned RoyalUp cabin because we didn't like where they put us and there were still other cabins available. We "won" an upgrade from a JS to a CLS on Harmony 4 days prior to the sail date, and they assigned us the one dead center in the back of the ship overlooking the sports court (1734). We went on line and found that there was still a side facing CLS (1764) available, so we called and they switched us with no pushback.

• Thanks 2

18 hours ago, LT4221 said:

But my question is, has anyone had experience being in a noisy room and being able to switch once on board upon request and availability?

Absolutely...we booked an interior deck 2 and it was directly under the public restroom on Deck 3 on Liberty.  Could not sleep because the cleaning crew made so much noise above us.  We politely complained and they sent the housekeeping mgr and the hotel mgr down, at 3:00am and they heard what we heard.  Within literally 30 minutes they had moved us to a balcony room.  I kid you not.  Pays to be nice about it but that is one reason why we remain loyal to RCCL.  They aim to please.  That is our experience, can't speak for anyone else.  Of course this was not a Royal Up, but if you are truly unhappy and the baby can't sleep, I am sure they will accommodate you.

We also had the same thing happen on a family reunion cruise on the same ship.  Our son/wife was very unhappy with their cabin because it was in the rear and the cavitation prevented her from sleeping.  They moved them to a balcony cabin.  These two incidents did not cost a penny.

I still stand by the old adage...You have not because you ask not

Edited by BecciBoo
  • Like 1

Thanks for the info.  All this time, I've understood that one cannot change locations after a royal up assignment. I thought it was listed in the Royal UP terms.  Nice to hear that the info is incorrect, and many have in fact changed cabins after assignment. 

Thanks M

2 hours ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Silly me for accepting and believing the terms.   Wonder what else I'm missing out on.  

Thx - M

I doubt under normal times there is a lot of availability but always worth asking, they can only say no, and you are no worse off.

21 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

I'm referring to moving after boarding not before......which I gave examples of in my posts.  And that is entirely up to the ship.  Jeez

I am not sure that happens, or is available, that often especially with full ships.

It certainly isn’t something the OP should expect, or count on.

On 8/9/2023 at 5:38 PM, Big_G said:

Been sailing with Royal for over 25 years and never had  a noisy cabin except for a forward outside porthole on Majesty. We were woken with every anchor drop. It probably won't be a problem but no guarantees.

Sounds like our first cruise, also on Majesty, we had a lower cabin with a porthole. We heard the gangway on every port day! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, c-leg5 said:

I am not sure that happens, or is available, that often especially with full ships.

It certainly isn’t something the OP should expect, or count on.

The examples I stated DID occur whether you think it's possible or not. And you just said as much in your own post. It never hurts to simply ask.  In our case it did.

Edited by BecciBoo