Celebrity’s X/Twitter responds that plastic water bottles are replacing the metal

NutsAboutGolf

39 minutes ago, leyland1989 said:

The cost saving outweigh any PR gains 🙂 
Do you really think ANY Cruise line cared about the environment?  

It's all about money behind every decision. 

Yes, I do.   When Celebrity initially switched to cartons and then aluminum for the basic water, do you really believe that this was to save money?  I do not see how that change could possible save money.

Removing the aluminum water cans will certainly save money. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

Yes, I do.   When Celebrity initially switched to cartons and then aluminum for the basic water, do you really believe that this was to save money?  I do not see how that change could possible save money.

Removing the aluminum water cans will certainly save money. 

It will also eliminate the possibility of cuts on fingers when attempting to open the bottle…and on lips when drinking. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Part of the gimmick with using aluminum has been a claim made about the ability to compact it to save space while storing the trash on the ship.  If true, they'll need more space now for plastic bottles as those don't compact the same way (although I am sure they will try).  And, until now, have not had nearly the same volume of plastic bottles as compared to aluminum from beer, soft drinks, and water.  

12 minutes ago, Cap_D said:

Part of the gimmick with using aluminum has been a claim made about the ability to compact it to save space while storing the trash on the ship.  If true, they'll need more space now for plastic bottles as those don't compact the same way (although I am sure they will try).  And, until now, have not had nearly the same volume of plastic bottles as compared to aluminum from beer, soft drinks, and water.  

For us, the aluminum can:

-Feels more premium in our hand

-Makes us feel better that we’re not using “single use plastics”

-Are happy to refill them if our water bottles aren’t handy

It’s really bad optics IMO

• Like 7

Agreed. All we can hope is that the customer service rep who responded on twitter has as bad a grasp of what's going on in the company as he does on the subtle differences between bare and bear! 

Can't stand plastic bottles, they're a menace to the planet. If they do revert back to plastic by next month then I'll have to take a refillable bottle with me and forfeit the 2 bottles a day brought to the cabin. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, SoloAlaska said:

This is really starting to convince me my cruise in a few weeks will be my last with Celebrity.

Plastic bottles will turn you away from Celebrity?

I think most cruise lines use plastic bottles as do most places on land still.  

I would love to go away from single use plastic but I'm not sure how to avoid it aside from bringing my own bottle with me which I can do on any cruise line.  Personally, I would love to see cruise lines install more water bottle filling stations around the ships to encourage people to use their own reusable bottles like Celebrity does on their expedition ships in the Galapagos. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, prmssk said:

Plastic bottles will turn you away from Celebrity?

I think most cruise lines use plastic bottles as do most places on land still.  

I would love to go away from single use plastic but I'm not sure how to avoid it aside from bringing my own bottle with me which I can do on any cruise line.  Personally, I would love to see cruise lines install more water bottle filling stations around the ships to encourage people to use their own reusable bottles like Celebrity does on their expedition ships in the Galapagos. 

To me it’s a cheapening of the brand. NCL has Flow which is boxed water. Starbucks here and most other food places I go to have Flow water so it’s fairly easy to avoid bottled water. I so wish water bottle filling stations were available on ships, it’s would be a huge selling point for me.

I agree water bottles is not a reason to avoid a brand but it’s just another thing and I find the value for the price to be decreasing with prices going up especially with the high single supplement.

• Like 1

As I was saying before, cruise lines are trapped into offering single use bottles of water (whatever they're made out of) as they added it to the beverage packages and there will be massive backlash if they remove water from those packages.  In a perfect world, cruise lines could offer you a $1 credit everytime you refill a water bottle but there's zero chance that would ever happen

8 hours ago, SoloAlaska said:

NCL has Flow which is boxed water. Starbucks here and most other food places I go to have Flow water so it’s fairly easy to avoid bottled water.

We thought the Flow water was fine, and the box was sturdy enough that we were able to refill and use it several times.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, SoloAlaska said:

To me it’s a cheapening of the brand. NCL has Flow which is boxed water. Starbucks here and most other food places I go to have Flow water so it’s fairly easy to avoid bottled water. I so wish water bottle filling stations were available on ships, it’s would be a huge selling point for me.

I agree water bottles is not a reason to avoid a brand but it’s just another thing and I find the value for the price to be decreasing with prices going up especially with the high single supplement.

NCL's Flow water though only comes in large cartons so isn't part of the drink package.  I don't know the reasoning behind not having single serving Flow cartons (cost, availability, something else?) but that maybe why Celebrity hasn't implemented that option on it's ships.

We really liked the aluminum bottles. They were a good size to fill up from the water from our ice bucket for excursions. So we'd have ice cold water available for free.

Single use plastic really should be done away with and it will once petroleum gets too expensive, but for now, this is what happens when we're in transition and people don't like change.

I bought stainless steel bottles and we take them with us empty to get through TSA, then fill them at the water stations most airports have readily available. I hope Celebrity would do that. They could provide a bottle as part of the drink package like Royal does for its soda option.

• Like 1

On 8/15/2023 at 11:51 AM, prmssk said:

NCL's Flow water though only comes in large cartons so isn't part of the drink package.  I don't know the reasoning behind not having single serving Flow cartons (cost, availability, something else?) but that maybe why Celebrity hasn't implemented that option on it's ships.

we had water from Small cartons at pur last Port Ev   hotel ..Water taste was okay but we needed a plastic cup to pour into to drink it..    Not drinking out of a carton!