How does the complimentary ice cream work on the NCL Bliss?

We are setting sail on the Bliss soon, and the kids are very interested in the included ice cream options.  I had assumed the free ice cream was limited to a soft serve vanilla/chocolate machine in the buffet, but I ran across a video talking about an included hand-scooped ice cream bar as well.  Can anyone has been on the Bliss recently clarify what options are available so I can set realistic expectations for the kids before we get onboard?

1 hour ago, OneTwoThreeFourFive said:

We are setting sail on the Bliss soon, and the kids are very interested in the included ice cream options.  I had assumed the free ice cream was limited to a soft serve vanilla/chocolate machine in the buffet, but I ran across a video talking about an included hand-scooped ice cream bar as well.  Can anyone has been on the Bliss recently clarify what options are available so I can set realistic expectations for the kids before we get onboard?

Buffet has soft serve for lunch and dinner. Vanilla and Chocolate in cone or bowl. 

Buffet has hand scoop (various flavors). Cone or bowl. 

MDR and The Local have hand scoop ice creams. Bowl. 

Specialty Restaurants have hand scoop for a fee. Bowl. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, schmoopie17 said:

The buffet soft-serve is blah-tasting ice milk...NOT ice cream, BIG difference.

Restaurant scoop ice cream is pretty unimpressive as well. Not much "cream" there...

I have not been on Bliss, but on other ships I have enjoyed the hand scooped ice cream in the buffet. I particularly enjoyed the coconut ice cream. It goes really well with some of the chocolate cakes. Also enjoy whatever sherbet flavor they have. The scooped ice cream area has some toppings available. I am not a big fan of the soft serve but my husband really enjoys it. The soft serve could be a little thicker, and creamier, but it is still refreshing and fun for the kids to grab a quick cone.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Buffet has soft serve for lunch and dinner. Vanilla and Chocolate in cone or bowl. 

Buffet has hand scoop (various flavors). Cone or bowl. 

MDR and The Local have hand scoop ice creams. Bowl. 

Specialty Restaurants have hand scoop for a fee. Bowl. 

Does the Local still have chocolate Sundaes? They are another complimentary ice cream option the kids could enjoy.

2 hours ago, Cruising Lynne said:

Does the Local still have chocolate Sundaes? They are another complimentary ice cream option the kids could enjoy.

The complimentary Hot Fudge sundaes were awesome in the Local on Prima.  We were hopeful they would add them to all the ships, but sadly, we have not found them on other ships since then. 

However, you can pay for one in O'Sheehans but it just wasn't as good IMO.  I don't think they use Hot Fudge that often.  I think it was about $5. 

On 8/14/2023 at 4:28 PM, Sand and Seas said:

The complimentary Hot Fudge sundaes were awesome in the Local on Prima.  We were hopeful they would add them to all the ships, but sadly, we have not found them on other ships since then. 

However, you can pay for one in O'Sheehans but it just wasn't as good IMO.  I don't think they use Hot Fudge that often.  I think it was about $5. 

I've seen you talk so much about the Local's hot fudge sundae on Pr1ma. I'm so happy I get to try it in November!!! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cruiseny4life said:

I've seen you talk so much about the Local's hot fudge sundae on Pr1ma. I'm so happy I get to try it in November!!! 

My DH loves chocolate and ice cream.  Make it Hot Fudge with whipped cream and I am all in too!

I'm hoping they keep them on the menu for our April cruise🤞

• Thanks 1

On 8/13/2023 at 6:53 PM, OneTwoThreeFourFive said:

Was on the Bliss in January and yes, they have the soft serve option and hand scooped ice cream in the buffet with different flavors throughout the trip.  There are also toppings that included sauces and sprinkles, nuts, etc. that you can add yourself.  The choices were quite good.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cruiseny4life said:

Please bring me one back! (But don't let it melt 😄) Those sundaes on Prima in the Local really are good.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Coffeeluvr05 said:

Was on the Bliss in January and yes, they have the soft serve option and hand scooped ice cream in the buffet with different flavors throughout the trip.  There are also toppings that included sauces and sprinkles, nuts, etc. that you can add yourself.  The choices were quite good.

Yes, the Joy had many hand scooped options in the buffet a couple of months ago.  They had several choices each day.   

Loved the Butter Pecan and Rum Raisin 😋

Edited by Sand and Seas

The ice cream bar menu is in the picture.  We were impressed with the size and the cost was very reasonable like what you would pay at Dairy Queen. The ingredients were really good too.  However, I heard it all got yanked due to lack of sales.  People were not interested in paying a few bucks for a sundae when they could get something much smaller and inferior at the buffet. If my memory is correct this ice cream menu only lasted about a year at O'Sheehans.

How does the ice cream on the Bliss work? Well, if you’re me, you eat the ice cream and then 20 minutes later you run as fast as you can back to the cabin washroom. That’s how it works.

Or, if you’re the child I saw on the Bliss on the March Spring Break cruise this year, you make the ice cream work like this:

1. desire ice cream

2. approach ice cream maker

3. grasp handle firmly

4. put mouth under spout. Do not bother with a bowl or cone. You are going right to the source.

5. open mouth wide and aim 

6. enjoy your ice cream

• Haha 2

How does the complimentary ice cream work?

Well, the first day it doesn't seem like it does.

The second day you realize it is hard at work when it takes a little more effort to get your pants buttoned. 

By day four it is hard at work expanding your lower stomach and equalizing that increase through your hips.

And finally, in an extreme burst of productivity, it settles into the space below your chin where it lingers for weeks after you return home.

It continues its hard work, until you massively step up your workload. A very efficient worker bee that doesn't "cost" you a dime. 

😉

Edited by SeekingKillerWhales!
  • Haha 2