Ocean Cay improvements

jamon

MSC stopped going to Ocean Cay during April and May 2023 to make some changes to the island...Does anyone know what changes/improvements were made as I haven't see any info from anyone as to what they did??

... it is next year they are doing that...

“Ocean Cay MSC Marine Reserve will be temporarily closed to MSC Cruises guests from April 7 to May 22, 2024 in order to make necessary guest experience enhancements and support the island’s future growth plans,”

Edited by Mark_T
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, jamon said:

MSC stopped going to Ocean Cay during April and May 2023 to make some changes to the island...Does anyone know what changes/improvements were made as I haven't see any info from anyone as to what they did??

Here is the little bit of info that is know so far. https://www.cruisehive.com/popular-private-island-to-receive-massive-100-million-expansion/107962

We were told by the Future Cruise representative onboard Ssaside this week that MSC will also be using that time to dredge out the channel to the island in preparation for the arrival of the MSC World America. 

Edited by Motegi
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, funNsun4me said:

So what are everyones thoughts on this actually completing on time?  Was looking at a end of May cruise but don't want to miss this island.

Let's see. It opened almost two years after it was supposed to originally.  I think I'd wager on them missing the goal date.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

32 minutes ago, JAGR said:

Let's see. It opened almost two years after it was supposed to originally.  I think I'd wager on them missing the goal date.

That's my fear in pulling the trigger.  My first cruise on the Seaside the island was not ready. Was lucky enough to to visit on our next 2 cruises and it is our fav stop so really don't want to book and be disappointed.  Actually it is the only good stop on the sailing from Brooklyn, but the no flying hassle makes us lean to sailing from there.  I guess I got some thinking to do...🤔

9 minutes ago, funNsun4me said:

That's my fear in pulling the trigger.  My first cruise on the Seaside the island was not ready. Was lucky enough to to visit on our next 2 cruises and it is our fav stop so really don't want to book and be disappointed.  Actually it is the only good stop on the sailing from Brooklyn, but the no flying hassle makes us lean to sailing from there.  I guess I got some thinking to do...🤔

Agreed.  We missed it twice before COVID.  As I recall, the original date was December 2017 (overly ambitious!).  Then in September 2016, they announced that the date was being moved to October 2018.  Then in November 2017, they announced a new date of November, 2018.  Then., they switched to December 5, 2019 (first time they used a specific date!).

I am looking forward to the expanded Ocean House facility for YC. The last several months they have been having to put people out on the side and front lawns for lunch and, even with umbrellas, it gets toasty out there. I always go over at least 30 minutes before lunch starts and stake out a table on the shaded veranda.

• Like 3

On 8/24/2023 at 10:05 AM, JAGR said:

You have to remember, folks down there work on Island Time. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 8/15/2023 at 3:25 PM, freeon said:

Looks like they still want to keep it mostly a reserve. I hope they don’t end up turning it into a mini theme park like Royal did with Coco Cay. So sad when there is most of that stuff on a lot of their ships, but of course Coco Cay is a very big money maker for them. I hope to get to see Ocean Cay soon.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

Looks like they still want to keep it mostly a reserve. I hope they don’t end up turning it into a mini theme park like Royal did with Coco Cay. So sad when there is most of that stuff on a lot of their ships, but of course Coco Cay is a very big money maker for them. I hope to get to see Ocean Cay soon.

It’s not nearly as big as Coco Cay…or at least it doesn’t appear to be…

• Like 1

On 8/24/2023 at 9:43 AM, funNsun4me said:

I watched 2 videos on Youtube about what they had to do to CLEAR the island of all the metal pieces, abandoned mining equipment, and junk dumped into the water around the island!  That's why it wasn't ready to open the first time.  If you saw what they had to do BEFORE they could begin building bathrooms, the food court, etc you would be amazed.  This time around, all the heavy lifting is done.  My money is on them having it done on time, this time.

• Like 2

If anyone out there hasn't watched these three episodes, you should. Only place I know to watch it now is on Tubi.  It explains the two year delay. Millions of dollars in unplanned clean up of industrial waste, some of it toxic. What they thought they bought (leased actually), was not the case.

https://www.natgeotv.com/za/shows/natgeo/building-paradise-island

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/1/2023 at 12:05 PM, ReneeFLL said:

one thing i love about coco is it has a pool. i dont get in pools on the ships nor go on the beach but i love the coco cay pool. NCL doesnt have one (so you have to swim next door) so if msc installs a pool ill be happy

I do hope they keep the natural charm of the island.  Beyond the dredging to get the channel ready for World America we did hear some folks talking on the Seaside in May that the Y/C area is going to get some upgraded facilities and possibly turning that into a sandy beach, vs. the rocky shore.  Personally I love the rocky shores and the natural feel of the island. It was so fun to have the overnight and then on day 2 discover the rock sculpture garden. I think that was one of my favorite finds on the island. 

Another big tip if you have not been yet, skip lunch on the island and walk back to the ship. The lines were very long for the island food hall (I understand they are building a second one soon) and the food was kinda boring and uninspiring. It literally took us 5 minutes to walk from the island food hall back to the ship. A few minutes later we were in the Marketplace Buffet where the food was much more fresh than what we saw on the island. After lunch we just went back out to our spots on the island. Unlike CocoCay and Castaway Cay, the ship is right there alongside island instead of being out at the end of a long pier, so it's really convenient to go back to the ship for lunch. 

• Like 1

On 9/2/2023 at 9:31 PM, cruiseguyinorl said:

If anyone out there hasn't watched these three episodes, you should. Only place I know to watch it now is on Tubi.  It explains the two year delay. Millions of dollars in unplanned clean up of industrial waste, some of it toxic. What they thought they bought (leased actually), was not the case.

https://www.natgeotv.com/za/shows/natgeo/building-paradise-island

Watched this. Really interesting. Can’t wait to visit. 

On 9/6/2023 at 1:24 PM, CruisingWalter said:

I do hope they keep the natural charm of the island.  Beyond the dredging to get the channel ready for World America we did hear some folks talking on the Seaside in May that the Y/C area is going to get some upgraded facilities and possibly turning that into a sandy beach, vs. the rocky shore.  Personally I love the rocky shores and the natural feel of the island. It was so fun to have the overnight and then on day 2 discover the rock sculpture garden. I think that was one of my favorite finds on the island. 

Another big tip if you have not been yet, skip lunch on the island and walk back to the ship. The lines were very long for the island food hall (I understand they are building a second one soon) and the food was kinda boring and uninspiring. It literally took us 5 minutes to walk from the island food hall back to the ship. A few minutes later we were in the Marketplace Buffet where the food was much more fresh than what we saw on the island. After lunch we just went back out to our spots on the island. Unlike CocoCay and Castaway Cay, the ship is right there alongside island instead of being out at the end of a long pier, so it's really convenient to go back to the ship for lunch. 

Personally I love lunch on the island. Of course, I am usually in Yacht Club. I order the cheeseburger and also the Lobster Roll without the bun, then put the lobster on the burger. YUM!!

IMG_5051.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

what is the alternate port for missing the island? i was looking at cruises in may and thankfully remembered about the closing. i also think it's very shady to keep booking with the island closed for dates they have publicly announced, i hate the itinerary out of NYC but would be 1st time on MSC and the only stop i was looking forward to was the private island.  i typically stay on ships in FL and maybe spend 1 hour or so in nassau