Hurricane hitting California?

suzyed

Are you sailing Monday on the Emerald from L.A. to New York? I would try to get to L.A. tomorrow or maybe Sunday. The very heavy rain/wind is forecast to hit the L.A. area Sunday/Monday. If the ship can't port on Monday from it's previous sailing then your boarding and departure will be delayed. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, skynight said:

Are you sailing Monday on the Emerald from L.A. to New York? I would try to get to L.A. tomorrow or maybe Sunday. The very heavy rain/wind is forecast to hit the L.A. area Sunday/Monday. If the ship can't port on Monday from it's previous sailing then your boarding and departure will be delayed. 

We are on this cruise. Just changed our flight from Sunday afternoon to tomorrow at 6:15 am from YVR. Really hate early AM flights, but I’ll feel better to be in LA early.

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, suzyed said:

What happens to our cruise if the hurricane hit California.

Lots of things could happen. It all depends on where and when Hilary decides to go. Watch your emails and hope Princess keeps you posted. 🙏

Edited by Honolulu Blue
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

You'll leave a day later perhaps? The current cruise needs to safely disembark passengers. 

I just spoke to Princess on Chat about this because my brother and SIL are sailing on the Emerald on Monday!  Their first Princess sailing.
This is what the agent told me:
Thank you so much for your patiently waiting. We hope all our guests and travel advisors impacted by the hurricane are staying safe and well. For guests affected by hurricane (evacuated, flight cancellations) we can offer: Guests (with or without Princess Vacation Protection) can choose to rebook to the next sailing date if space is available or an FCC for 100% of cancel fees.

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, suzyed said:

I just spoke to Princess on Chat about this because my brother and SIL are sailing on the Emerald on Monday!  Their first Princess sailing.
This is what the agent told me:
Thank you so much for your patiently waiting. We hope all our guests and travel advisors impacted by the hurricane are staying safe and well. For guests affected by hurricane (evacuated, flight cancellations) we can offer: Guests (with or without Princess Vacation Protection) can choose to rebook to the next sailing date if space is available or an FCC for 100% of cancel fees.

Have they been evacuated? Are they flying tomorrow?

52 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

Have they been evacuated? Are they flying tomorrow?

Right now they are booked on Flights on Monday early morning from Vegas.  I am "suggesting" that they should go Sunday.

There is another thread reporting on the current Emerald Princess cruise.  They are currently returning from a Los Angeles-Hawaii roundtrip cruise.   Obviously, everyone on that ship—especially, the ship’s command—is keeping an eye on this hurricane.  They will be stopping at Ensenada—for PVSA compliance—but it will be a service stop, only.  No passengers will be allowed off.  As soon as paperwork is completed, they will head for Los Angeles.  They will, in fact, arrive at berth in Los Angeles on Sunday and overnight there.

So, to the OP, when you arrive at the port on Monday, your ship will be waiting for you.

😃

1 hour ago, BlerkOne said:

Hard to say. From Vegas, they could drive.

204813_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

Bad idea. We live in Vegas and no way would I want to be on I 15 going thru the desert areas with the potential for heavy rains. Flash flooding can happen in minutes and be deadly.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, suzyed said:

Right now they are booked on Flights on Monday early morning from Vegas.  I am "suggesting" that they should go Sunday.

Sunday may be a rough day to get into LAX, due to heavy rains.

Can they get there on Saturday?

Airlines may be canceling a lot of flights. 

If they can’t go Saturday, I’d rebook for early on Sunday morning.

Such a pain these days to travel.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, hobo1937 said:

Bad idea. We live in Vegas and no way would I want to be on I 15 going thru the desert areas with the potential for heavy rains. Flash flooding can happen in minutes and be deadly.

What are the odds? But there are a few routes including skipping I 15.

9 minutes ago, hobo1937 said:

Yes, this!!! Vegas resident also.

DO NOT drive from Vegas with all the rain that is forecast. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, BlerkOne said:

What are the odds? But there are a few routes including skipping I 15.

They would be worse than I 15. Right now they are predicting 2-4 inches of rain from late Sat to early Monday. That is our annual rainfall in 2 days. We have lived in Vegas for 25 years and have seen what heavy rains can do and you do not want to go there. They are saying Nevada may break the all time rain totals. So if you want to gamble your life go for it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, hobo1937 said:

They would be worse than I 15. Right now they are predicting 2-4 inches of rain from late Sat to early Monday. That is our annual rainfall in 2 days. We have lived in Vegas for 25 years and have seen what heavy rains can do and you do not want to go there. They are saying Nevada may break the all time rain totals. So if you want to gamble your life go for it.

I lived a zillion years in desert environments and fully understand turn around, don't drown. I've also seen how the same storms can screw up air traffic for days. I suspect the airlines are already being flooded with calls about changing flights.

Driving remains an option, even if leaving on Saturday. The cruise lines aren't saying what will happen (yet), because they know predictions can change. Time will tell.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, hobo1937 said:

We have made the drive in a downpour before and I would not do it again.  Stay off the roads if it is going to be as bad as they say.

• Like 2