On Equinox in a Sky Suite (after butler change)

DingoMom

I sailed in the Haven on NCL Joy in February of this year for about $900 a night. The butler kept me fully stocked with Evian and Pellegrino without issue. There was also a Nespresso machine in the room and afternoon canapes were delivered daily as a matter of course. I did not enjoy my time on Joy, but they got this right. You're lucky if you can find any Retreat sailing for less than $1k per night these days. Personally, I don't pay that kind of money to feel nickel and dimed. I wonder if they'll be offering to stock your minifridge with your preferences as a beverage package add on in the near future...

16 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

John -

I have a feeling for the crunch down is caused by rogue Butlers that were stocking refrigerators in the hope of a good tip in violation of company policy and after everyone passing this on via CC it became an non-official practice and expectation.  I don't believe I've ever seen this written as a perk and the price slips clearly state contents in the refrigerator are not covered by drink packages.

Prior to Covid in CS we were always told that anything in the Refrig and the two big bottles were at an extra charge.   Some butlers told us that most of the new butlers follow the company policy that don't provide but he wants to make our life easier since we already have a drink package.

Maybe our expectation were different but even in a CS which we sail 80% of the time we never even considered asking for them to do it.   Instead we would just pick up a can or bottle in Retreat or any bar.

Jim,  I completely  understand and with the exception of the times when we had the old Drinks & More package, which included the minibar, we have not made it a practice of consuming the alcoholic items in the minibar.  We have availed ourselves to the soda's and water and considered them as covered in out beverage package.  Since this is no longer the case, we'll do as many others have stated and ask that the minibar be emptied and bring items we plan to consume from the Retreat Lounge. 

10 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

Jim,  I completely  understand and with the exception of the times when we had the old Drinks & More package, which included the minibar, we have not made it a practice of consuming the alcoholic items in the minibar.  We have availed ourselves to the soda's and water and considered them as covered in out beverage package.  Since this is no longer the case, we'll do as many others have stated and ask that the minibar be emptied and bring items we plan to consume from the Retreat Lounge. 

I wonder how long before Celebrity bans taking unopened bottles of water, beer and soda out of the Retreat Lounge? Then also locking the self-serve coolers when the lounge is unattended. I can see this happening after they notice a huge drain on the lounge's inventory. Celebrity seems to be hell bent on squeezing out every cent they can for more profit, why else would they crack down on "rogue" butlers who in the past provided their suites with free water, soda and beer?

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 3

34 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

I wonder how long before Celebrity bans taking unopened bottles of water, beer and soda out of the Retreat Lounge? Then also locking the self-serve coolers when the lounge is unattended. I can see this happening after they notice a huge drain on the lounge's inventory. Celebrity seems to be hell bent on squeezing out every cent they can for more profit, why else would they crack down on "rogue" butlers who in the past provided their suites with free water, soda and beer?

I am hoping they don't read this board and start getting ideas like that.   I can understand them removing the alcoholic beverages from those public coolers but to lock the water and soda's up be unforgiveable. 

45 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

For us probably more convenient  to get water and soda as we pass a bar.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, terrydtx said:

If people start emptying the contents of the Retreat fridges into their tote bags, I would bet it won't be long. Consider that there are usually two servers in the Retreat Lounge. On port days, they can barely keep the fridges stocked with waters. While having a cappuccino one morning before heading out to the port, I saw one woman clear out the last cans - estimate 10 or 12 cans - from the fridge. This was in August, on the last cruise before the changes. The servers, who were already running around filling peoples' coffee and morning cocktail requests, then had to take time to refill the fridge. It's not just about inventory. It's also about allocated labor hours.

Edited by Silkroad
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, terrydtx said:

And where less costs you more!!

All kidding aside, I haven't seen many recent Celebrity cruisers post their own recent experiences on lines that are comparable or superior to Celebrity (at the same cost or slightly more). I have seen many people post that they've booked future cruises on other lines, but that tells me nothing valuable when it comes to committing my own - finite - supply of holiday funds to another cruise line.

1 hour ago, tnm6217 said:

I sailed in the Haven on NCL Joy in February of this year for about $900 a night. The butler kept me fully stocked with Evian and Pellegrino without issue. There was also a Nespresso machine in the room and afternoon canapes were delivered daily as a matter of course. I did not enjoy my time on Joy, but they got this right. You're lucky if you can find any Retreat sailing for less than $1k per night these days. Personally, I don't pay that kind of money to feel nickel and dimed. I wonder if they'll be offering to stock your minifridge with your preferences as a beverage package add on in the near future...

why did you not enjoy JOY?

32 minutes ago, Silkroad said:

All kidding aside, I haven't seen many recent Celebrity cruisers post their own recent experiences on lines that are comparable or superior to Celebrity (at the same cost or slightly more). I have seen many people post that they've booked future cruises on other lines, but that tells me nothing valuable when it comes to committing my own - finite - supply of holiday funds to another cruise line.

Well, I’ll post one. Regent Explorer, Alaska, June 2023. Really “All included”, fully staffed just like pre-pandemic, mini fridge contents included, custom stocked, and restocked. Great food and service. No crowds or lines even though the ship was at capacity.  No need for priority boarding, as this ship holds only 750 guests. All tips really included.Price somewhere between SS and CS generally, but on some Celebrity cruises I’ve researched lately, Regent cost less. Oh, yes, included shore excursions and air. Air can be deleted for fare reduction.

Edited by Dolebludger
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Dolebludger said:

Sounds like the Retreat Lounge is seriously understaffed. In fact, understaffing could be a reason for most on the cuts.

There is no reason for any department on a ship to be unstaffed 2 years after covid shutdowns. I firmly believe Celebrity is trying to see how little staffing they can get by on as less staff means more profits and to hell with the customer onboard experiences. Just like how the corporate world found out during covid lockdowns, how much less staff they needed to get by on and make more profits. My son works for a major auto insurance company, and they found out they could give the same pre covid service after covid with 30% less employees.

1 hour ago, DaKahuna said:

Yea..... I"ve never had the Drinks & More.    Iain enjoys a Grey Goose and Tonic in the evening after we turn in.     I usually buy a Premium Bar Setup and they also bring along 12 cans of Tonic. 

We all need to fill out those mid-cruise comment cards and post-cruise surveys with our dissatisfaction of the specific Sky Suite changes that negatively impact our cruise (making it clear it is not an individual staff person's fault but rather Celebrity policy). The Food and Beverage Managers and Hotel Managers take that feedback seriously and hopefully are in a position to communicate to Corporate.

52 minutes ago, Silkroad said:

If people start emptying the contents of the Retreat fridges into their tote bags, I would bet it won't be long. Consider that there are usually two servers in the Retreat Lounge. On port days, they can barely keep the fridges stocked with waters. While having a cappuccino one morning before heading out to the port, I saw one woman clear out the last cans - estimate 10 or 12 cans - from the fridge. This was in August, on the last cruise before the changes. The servers, who were already running around filling peoples' coffee and morning cocktail requests, then had to take time to refill the fridge. It's not just about inventory. It's also about allocated labor hours.

Refilling one fridge is still less labor hours than all the sky suite fridges being refilled. Especially now that it's just one team handling all of them. 

1 hour ago, hcat said:

why did you not enjoy JOY?

I found the ship to be poorly designed. There were way too many people for how little public space there was. The theater is too small and required reservations. It was loud everywhere. The guests didn't seem to treat the ship with respect (on multiple occasions there was food and dishes left in stairwells). Additionally, the staff appeared to be overworked and unable to provide a personalized experience. Service in the Haven restaurant was not seamless and I had to request the same thing from multiple servers, to include just having my water refilled. Some people absolutely love Joy, but it just wasn't what I was looking for when I cruise. However, the suite was lovely and the premium wine selection was worlds better than what Celebrity currently offers! 

• Thanks 1

We cruised in the Haven once. It was decent, but the rest of the ship was all crowds and lines. And there were people from NCL set up, trying to sell me something, and blocking foot traffic. As I have said, the main ship was like a state fair. NCL is a “budget level line” whereas X is a premium line. And the difference is apparent when a suite guest goes into the main area of the ship. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sanger727 said:

Refilling one fridge is still less labor hours than all the sky suite fridges being refilled. Especially now that it's just one team handling all of them. 

Stocking the Sky Suite fridges with our individual beverage choices (without charge) was never an official policy. Celebrity is now cracking down on this unofficial practice. Why should Celebrity allocate more labor hours to make up for discontinuing an unofficial practice? 

12 minutes ago, Dolebludger said:

We cruised in the Haven once. It was decent, but the rest of the ship was all crowds and lines. And there were people from NCL set up, trying to sell me something, and blocking foot traffic. As I have said, the main ship was like a state fair. NCL is a “budget level line” whereas X is a premium line. And the difference is apparent when a suite guest goes into the main area of the ship. 

I have never considered Celebrity to be a premium cruise line, the Retreat makes them at the top of the mainstream lines but nothing more but even that is now slipping with all the changes this year.  A true premium cruise line does not charge for room service, does not charge for bottled water and soda in a cabin or anywhere else and even think about charging for a warm cookie. A true premium cruise line also does not charge exurbanite rates for specialty restaurants. A true premium cruise line does not nickel and dime their way to more profits.

I consider Viking Ocean and Oceania to be a premium cruise line.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/27/2023 at 7:35 PM, Dolebludger said:

Well, this is a reason to cruise on a smaller ship — at least for us.sounds like the “priority” system is not a great substitute.

We normally dont show up until 11:30. On the ship by 12.  Luminae lunch hours normally are 12 to 1:30. I dont see any reason to show up early, just to sit around.