My thoughts on all the "cuts"

KKB

34 minutes ago, sparkopotamus said:

I am looking at Regent as a possible replacement for Celebrity.  We are Elite Plus and while I hate to give up the perks that come with it, in the same breath I don't know that those E+ perks will continue to have any relevance the way things are going.

it’s doubtful they’ll reduce them, although I could see them eliminating the happy hour in favor of daily drink coupons

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tnm6217 said:

Although it's not always about math, for me, cruising is how I choose to vacation because I can book it and everything is done -- having very little to worry about during the cruise is the real value to me. And every move Celebrity is making is heading in the opposite direction of that. 

Very true statement. Depending on where your head is can certainly determine where your money goes. If the expense fits, spend it. If not, keep the $$ under your pillow.

Was it one particular Celebrity gaffe that sent you elsewhere (if so, please explain) or the combination of several that gave you trepidation as to future cruises? I assume that you have canceled all or some of the upcoming X cruises. If not, is that strictly due to math related circumstances? If you are cruising on X through your 2025 booking, is there a chance that, depending on how Celebrity behaves, you will continue to put your money where your head is, including Celebrity?

Edited by Spif Barwunkel

20 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

it’s doubtful they’ll reduce them, although I could see them eliminating the happy hour in favor of daily drink coupons

on balance..we have found that the Diamond cocktail hr spreads  were so much better than X.

on Oasis ( a few yrs back) it was in a club with a full  bar..full mini buffet wih hot dishes.. table service for drinks..  better than the  MDR  on the last night   2 guests were allowed.. we invited our our dtr and son in law..they loved it!

NO IDEA WHAT THEY HAVE NOW..that was our last Royal cruise!

8 minutes ago, hcat said:

on balance..we have found that the Diamond cocktail hr spreads  were so much better than X.

on Oasis ( a few yrs back) it was in a club with a full  bar..full mini buffet wih hot dishes.. table service for drinks..  better than the  MDR  on the last night   2 guests were allowed.. we invited our our dtr and son in law..they loved it!

NO IDEA WHAT THEY HAVE NOW..that was our last Royal cruise!

Nice.  I know some complaints about X's happy hour is the very limited drinks on the menu.  IDK much about RCI, Ms. Nuts went on a RCI as I kid but otherwise neither of us have been; we have a spring 2024 RCI sailing booked

1 hour ago, sparkopotamus said:

I am looking at Regent as a possible replacement for Celebrity.  We are Elite Plus and while I hate to give up the perks that come with it, in the same breath I don't know that those E+ perks will continue to have any relevance the way things are going.

on Regent you don’t need the E+ perks. You can send out your laundry daily, Wi-Fi is included for at least one device and I had premiere liquor bottles in the suite and drank premium from the lounges. Specialty restaurants included.  What else did I forget about E+ perks?

• Like 1

On 8/27/2023 at 9:26 AM, RichYak said:

Nonsense. You have nothing to apologize for. Don't let the holier-than-thou blowhards make you question yourself.

RY, I could not agree with you more. We should kick all those pompous arses in their "holier-than-thou" buttocks. That'll show 'em. Along those same lines, we have several veteran posters who, despite many, many posts on many, many threads rarely say anything worthwhile, aimless drivel if you will. A different kind of blowhard. That's okay. But thank goodness some of those posters have the skill set to point out the real undesirables, you know what I mean?

22 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Nice.  I know some complaints about X's happy hour is the very limited drinks on the menu.  IDK much about RCI, Ms. Nuts went on a RCI as I kid but otherwise neither of us have been; we have a spring 2024 RCI sailing booked

RC CAS as far as drinks is better than Celebrity. Drinks are any time of day and evening. Including all most bars and all the dining venues. The drinks you can order are from the regular bar menus. Any drink over $14.00 you pay the difference plus 18% gratuity. Diamonds get 4 drinks, Diamond + gets 5 drinks, Pinnacle gets 6 drinks per day. CAS drinks do not carry over. Use or lose the in the 24 hour time frame. We like RC for that and also a dedicated Diamond Lounge that has a great mini buffet style for pre diner snacks (hot and cold). The DL is open 24 hours. Wait staff are only in the DL for bar service during the CAS HH. 5 to 8 PM. 

Edited by doghog
  • Like 2

In my opinion, each change is part of a laid out plan to change the direction of the company and make it more closely align with RCCL. I think the c suite looked at the future of cruising and decided its in the Caribbean, where profits are high, and its families, who have disposable income. Families generally don't take 14 day and longer cruises. They are firmly in the 3 to 7 day, where parents have to get back to work and kids to school and activities . RCCL made a huge investment in Cococay and they are gonna wring every dollar they can from it. The move to start sailing from Canaveral is part of it. Get those Disney family dollars. Mom and dad and grandparents bring the kids to Disney for several days of madness then are rewarded by a non Disney cruise that goes to Cococay for the kids. Thats a huge opportunity for X to cash in.  Shortening menus, paying for little add ons, those  changes will only be known and felt by loyal customers, and that is clearly not the demographic they are chasing. Its simply not as lucrative. Do you think they've forgotten longtime cruisers exist? Nope, but in the macro, the new direction pays more. Will they lose some cruisers? Yup. But not enough to make it unattractive to move this direction. The repackaging of all in to take away tips was probably on the drawing board last year. They figure people aren't gonna stiff the staff, and they want you in that bev page and wifi because they are huge moneymakers.

It is what it is.

No amount of complaining is gonna change what is clearly a long range plan. Im not their sought after demo. So im not happy and will look elsewhere for future cruises. 

• Like 7

26 minutes ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

Was it one particular Celebrity gaffe that sent you elsewhere (if so, please explain) or the combination of several that gave you trepidation as to future cruises? I assume that you have canceled all or some of the upcoming X cruises. If not, is that strictly due to math related circumstances? If you are cruising on X through your 2025 booking, is there a chance that, depending on how Celebrity behaves, you will continue to put your money where your head is, including Celebrity?

Thanks for the questions. I think it's been everything over time, which maybe wouldn't be a big deal, except that my first Celebrity sailing was mid-January of this year. In my opinion, all of the changes made in less than 9 months do not give me confidence in Celebrity's future product. And as some others have stated, it's tough when you commit to a cruise and are left worrying about how it will be until you get onboard. My thoughts below may seem silly, but we all assign value according to what we're looking for when we're at sea.

The wonderful Cattier champagne that I had on my January and March sailings was gone by April, when I got by with Chandon. By June, even the Chandon was gone. I don't believe any of it is related to supply chain issues, because Chandon is available absolutely everywhere in the US. There are plenty of moderately-priced French Champagnes on the market, but it doesn't look like Celebrity is looking for other options. I believe the sourcing of the wine onboard is an attempt to cut costs by Corporate. 

Butler service is now reduced. Even though I only used my butler to keep me flush with water in my room, this will now be an extra chore I'll have to take care of and I'll be thinking about collecting water when I could be relaxing. But more than that, reducing the number of butlers puts extra strain on the butlers who remain. I have had the pleasure of knowing some of the staff well, and the thought of them having to bear more than they already do will be very hard for me to see. They always serve with a smile on their face, but their work hours were already intense and they basically go nonstop for months on end. (Don't even get me started on the fact that they have to pay for wifi by the minute!) I believe the cuts will impact the staff experience, which may impact my enjoyment, because the staff have truly been the highlight of Celebrity for me!

It's sad that the cheesecake is now a one night only opportunity. Celebrity's cheesecake was one of the best I'd ever had, especially with the passionfruit sauce. My upcoming sailing is in Aqua, and although you can make a special request for cheesecake in Luminae, I don't think the same is true for Blu. We made specialty dining reservations before they removed cheesecake from the daily menu, so now we will miss cheesecake next month since it's only offered on the first night of each cruise.

The new refundable deposit amounts are absolutely insane. I would willingly pay a few hundred more for a refundable deposit, but $1500 more? It's excessive. Both Silversea and Crystal are fully refundable less a $200-250 "admin fee" which can be applied to a future cruise. Because I like to book so far out, their policies offer far more flexibility for me. 

I have not cancelled any of my upcoming Celebrity cruises because I booked them all with NRD. Additionally, because I like to cruise so often and I work full-time, the short Celebrity sailings work with the longer Crystal and Silversea cruises I currently have planned and allow me to be gone more often without using too much leave. I'm sailing on Summit and Silhouette, both of which I've sailed on previously and have enjoyed. I imagine that once the cruise lines release their summer/fall 2025 cruises, I will be looking exclusively at 7-9 night Crystal and Silversea options.

Celebrity is a huge corporation and I understand they have to make changes to meet their bottom line and keep shareholders happy. I am just one person and I do not expect Celebrity to care in any way about my business. But what I once loved so much about the Celebrity product -- the all inclusive Retreat experience, the variety of food and beverage options, and a real polish in how they conduct business -- is no longer the product I'm seeing marketed by Celebrity. It feels more like Royal but less kid-focused and with prices that exceed what's being offered. The fact that cruise rates and associated perks can fluctuate daily even within the same "sale" is anxiety-inducing at times.

Ultimately, it will cost me more to get what I'm looking for, but because overall ease is what I want when I'm at sea, I am willing to spend more with other cruise lines. I am grateful that I have the ability to do so, but it is tough watching Celebrity make so many changes that are driving their longtime loyal guests to look elsewhere too.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 1

In the past, people have come to this board with requests to "Tell me about Celebrity" when they were considering booking with X for the first time. Lots of helpful people gave helpful answers.

Celebrity is the line I've sailed with the most, and my answer to them, as well as to IRL friends who would ask, was that Celebrity was "Classy without being stuffy." It was a little upscale without being over the top. Food was good, service was very good, but not overbearing. It was an excellent fit for us. 

However, with increasing prices and decreasing quality and services to all but the highest suites (which are selling at prices that make my eyes water) I feel that a more appropriate current response would be that Celebrity is "Stuffy without being classy." 

I am not in any way saying that those who are sailing in those higest suites are stuffy, I'm only saying this is the feeling Celebrity is giving me. This is about X, not their customers.

• Like 2

I agree with the above. What caused us to make another choice (Regent) was a search among the lines for a Spring 2024 E, Caribbean cruise. We had cruised Regent the most in the last 20 years, but out last two had been in the Retreat, and we liked it. Then I found two comparable cruises (Regent and Retreat CS) and found that Regent was at less cost. So I started reading this forum about the series of inclusion reductions.  That and the fares made it a no brained. Booked Regent. Back in 2018 and 2019 when we were in Celebrity CS, it was at the lesser cost. Now it is the more expensive=sive one, with fewer inclusions.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, tnm6217 said:

Thanks for the questions. I think it's been everything over time, which maybe wouldn't be a big deal, except that my first Celebrity sailing was mid-January of this year. In my opinion, all of the changes made in less than 9 months do not give me confidence in Celebrity's future product. And as some others have stated, it's tough when you commit to a cruise and are left worrying about how it will be until you get onboard. My thoughts below may seem silly, but we all assign value according to what we're looking for when we're at sea.

The wonderful Cattier champagne that I had on my January and March sailings was gone by April, when I got by with Chandon. By June, even the Chandon was gone. I don't believe any of it is related to supply chain issues, because Chandon is available absolutely everywhere in the US. There are plenty of moderately-priced French Champagnes on the market, but it doesn't look like Celebrity is looking for other options. I believe the sourcing of the wine onboard is an attempt to cut costs by Corporate. 

Butler service is now reduced. Even though I only used my butler to keep me flush with water in my room, this will now be an extra chore I'll have to take care of and I'll be thinking about collecting water when I could be relaxing. But more than that, reducing the number of butlers puts extra strain on the butlers who remain. I have had the pleasure of knowing some of the staff well, and the thought of them having to bear more than they already do will be very hard for me to see. They always serve with a smile on their face, but their work hours were already intense and they basically go nonstop for months on end. (Don't even get me started on the fact that they have to pay for wifi by the minute!) I believe the cuts will impact the staff experience, which may impact my enjoyment, because the staff have truly been the highlight of Celebrity for me!

It's sad that the cheesecake is now a one night only opportunity. Celebrity's cheesecake was one of the best I'd ever had, especially with the passionfruit sauce. My upcoming sailing is in Aqua, and although you can make a special request for cheesecake in Luminae, I don't think the same is true for Blu. We made specialty dining reservations before they removed cheesecake from the daily menu, so now we will miss cheesecake next month since it's only offered on the first night of each cruise.

The new refundable deposit amounts are absolutely insane. I would willingly pay a few hundred more for a refundable deposit, but $1500 more? It's excessive. Both Silversea and Crystal are fully refundable less a $200-250 "admin fee" which can be applied to a future cruise. Because I like to book so far out, their policies offer far more flexibility for me. 

I have not cancelled any of my upcoming Celebrity cruises because I booked them all with NRD. Additionally, because I like to cruise so often and I work full-time, the short Celebrity sailings work with the longer Crystal and Silversea cruises I currently have planned and allow me to be gone more often without using too much leave. I'm sailing on Summit and Silhouette, both of which I've sailed on previously and have enjoyed. I imagine that once the cruise lines release their summer/fall 2025 cruises, I will be looking exclusively at 7-9 night Crystal and Silversea options.

Celebrity is a huge corporation and I understand they have to make changes to meet their bottom line and keep shareholders happy. I am just one person and I do not expect Celebrity to care in any way about my business. But what I once loved so much about the Celebrity product -- the all inclusive Retreat experience, the variety of food and beverage options, and a real polish in how they conduct business -- is no longer the product I'm seeing marketed by Celebrity. It feels more like Royal but less kid-focused and with prices that exceed what's being offered. The fact that cruise rates and associated perks can fluctuate daily even within the same "sale" is anxiety-inducing at times.

Ultimately, it will cost me more to get what I'm looking for, but because overall ease is what I want when I'm at sea, I am willing to spend more with other cruise lines. I am grateful that I have the ability to do so, but it is tough watching Celebrity make so many changes that are driving their longtime loyal guests to look elsewhere too.

X infinity.  Perfectly stated.  Thank you. 

At least, Celebrity gave an announcement that tips would no longer be included as in the past, and gave over a month notice before it would take effect on new bookings. Some inclusions just disappeared, like included mini fridge beverages in CS suites. And including extra cost items on menus — how cheesy. The list of small things gone missing is too long to post here. And massive fare increases are the big problem.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dolebludger said:

At least, Celebrity gave an announcement that tips would no longer be included as in the past, and gave over a month notice before it would take effect on new bookings. Some inclusions just disappeared, like included mini fridge beverages in CS suites. And including extra cost items on menus — how cheesy. The list of small things gone missing is too long to post here. And massive fare increases are the big problem.

Guess you're good at reading tea leaves?  It appears XX is now targeting the lower tier mass market cruise line passengers who believe they're upgrading their experience from RCL and Carnival. I wonder if they'll still market themselves as "Luxury?"  🤣Switching to mostly seven day cruises confirms that.

Edited by ChucktownSteve
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, ChucktownSteve said:

on Regent you don’t need the E+ perks. You can send out your laundry daily, Wi-Fi is included for at least one device and I had premiere liquor bottles in the suite and drank premium from the lounges. Specialty restaurants included.  What else did I forget about E+ perks?

If you can afford Regent there’s no reason to do Celebrity.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, D. B. said:

If you can afford Regent there’s no reason to do Celebrity.

If you can afford Celebrity suites, you can afford Regent. So I agree, no reason to do Celebrity any longer if you find the right itinerary..  That's too bad because I used to really like sailing the old Celebrity.  But times change and so do the direction of companies dependent on the change in leadership priorities.  I'm apparently  not their priority any longer.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, ChucktownSteve said:

I keep seeing that people say Regent is much more expensive.  I actually didn't experience that.  During 2021 I booked three Regent cruises that were actually over $100pp/pn than a similar size suite on Celebrity but had much more amenities included.

I was just looking at a 2026 Regent cruise which was a little less than $100pp/pn for a Celebrity suite one year earlier in the same region.  But again Regent included all the premium extras. 

What I found the main difference is pricing Regent without the included air.  A large portion of the "more expensive" is the price for air that the airlines have caused artificial fare inflation because they found they could get away with it by restricting the number of available aircraft.  Additionally, if you're cruising overseas, Regent includes Business class which is much more expensive.

I've personally experienced better quality and value on Regent.

I wouldn’t book expensive suites on mass market lines either and agree about value on more premium lines.  I don’t value the mass market experience like others do.  I do like more casual lines though.  I like Azamara, but will not bear the risk of Sycamore owning them, so Oceania next.  More expensive?  A little, but better value with all inclusions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tnm6217 said:

You are most gracious in your thorough and insightful response. I appreciate your time and effort in doing so. It is a shame that you have so quickly lost your enthusiasm for Celebrity given that your first X cruise was in January '23. No doubt, Celebrity has and still is changing, more often to the negative for many. Your concerns and how you articulated them go to the important, personal disappointments you have had and feel you might experience again. Nothing silly or trivial about that. 

May your remaining Celebrity cruises not disappoint too much, and may all future cruising bring joy and great expectations.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, tnm6217 said:

Even though I only used my butler to keep me flush with water in my room, this will now be an extra chore I'll have to take care of and I'll be thinking about collecting water when I could be relaxing.

😂 hope you don’t get too stressed about collecting your own water, life is so hard sometimes, but try to keep going, could be worse.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, C4HCG said:

😂 hope you don’t get too stressed about collecting your own water, life is so hard sometimes, but try to keep going, could be worse.

First world problems for sure! But I have one of those brains that is constantly going. It makes me really good at what I do, but it's utterly exhausting at times. I cruise to get away from that. When I'm at sea, everything just melts away and it's like time stops. I'm happiest when I'm staring at an endless ocean on a sea day. I work hard for what I have -- between my full time civilian job and Reserve military career, time off is my most precious commodity. When I cruise, I appreciate having someone do something for me that I usually do myself. Having water available in a "suite class" stateroom doesn't seem like a big ask when I'm paying $1000+ per night and it's the only thing I utilize the butler for. I stayed at an Aloft hotel at $95/nt last week and received a bottle of water every day when the room was made up. Just sharing my perspective on these changes. Honestly, I'm grieving the "loss" of Celebrity as I write these posts. The whole thing just makes me sad.

• Like 11

It has nothing to do with the onboard experience, but it appears that Celebrity has also cut their advertising photo graphics editing budget.

We're supposed to believe that this tail appeared without any disturbance to the surrounding water?

image.png.e9f0d1a2248d3c94f9bdc13b45080575.png

Maybe it's just a fluke.

I know, I know... go sit in the corner and think about what I've done.

• Haha 7

I was in Aqua last year and got my own water, it was a tad annoying having to think ahead but I dealt with it.

When I’m in my CS or SS that I’ve paid considerably £1000’s more for, sorry but it’s going to annoy me. First world problem? Possibly.

But for the price I’ve paid, it should be luxury.

I don’t cruise a lot but it’s making me think where I’ll cruise next time for certain. 

Edit: we always tip extra and saw that as a bonus & tipped a bit more accordingly and didn’t really stress about it. We will now have to factor in an additional amount and probably will stress that we are tipping an appropriate amount. 

Edited by wineoclock
  • Like 4

When we sailed in April on Summit, we left a note for our fabulous butler requesting "A LOT" of water. This is what our bar area looked like on day two. Every day there was more water, and it made us smile so big! It may seem silly, but having our butler respond this way to our request brought us a lot of joy. This "extra" response to our request is what I think will be missing with all of the changes to service in the Sky Suites. 

IMG_8326.thumb.JPG.371d13de252fc0527b7fedffe47daac9.JPG

• Like 2

21 hours ago, tnm6217 said:

I've sailed on Celebrity 4 times this year in the Retreat. I have one more scheduled for this year, two for 2024, and one for 2025. My first Celebrity cruise was just this past January, and it's been so disheartening to see all of the changes over the last few months. The premium beverage selection has been declining and is not at all commensurate with other cruise lines. I absolutely love Celebrity's staff, but at some point that's not enough. Between the cookie scandal (which I see as a harbinger for things to come), the continuous changes to Retreat services, and the stripping away of perks, along with the very real anxiety about what any future booked cruises will be like, I've reluctantly decided it's time to move on from Celebrity.

At $1200+ per night in the Retreat with only food, drinks, and wifi included, it just doesn't make sense to stay when luxury lines offer far more. For example, I have an 11 night Caribbean cruise booked on Silversea that includes everything, plus excursions, airfare, and transfers for $830 per night. Although it's not always about math, for me, cruising is how I choose to vacation because I can book it and everything is done -- having very little to worry about during the cruise is the real value to me. And every move Celebrity is making is heading in the opposite direction of that. 

Welcome to the Retreat No More Club.☺️

We are trying Silversea too.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Welcome to the Retreat No More Club.☺️

We are trying Silversea too.

I am trying to remember but didn't you do an Oceania cruise earlier this year? If you did what are your thoughts on them VS Celebrity?