Coast Guard closed Port Canaveral

According to an online article from about 10 minutes ago:

"Hurricane Idalia is causing some shifts in cargo operations at Port Canaveral, but thus far is not impacting the cruise ship schedule there."

• Like 1

Whiskey: Set when gale force winds are expected to arrive at the port within 72 hours. Port remains open to all commercial traffic, but oceangoing ships and barges must report their intention to remain in port or depart. If they are departing, they must do so within 12 hours of gale-force winds.

X-Ray: Gale force winds are expected within 48 hours. The rules are similar to port condition Whiskey.

Yankee: Gale force winds predicted within 24 hours. Vessels seeking to depart must arrange immediate departure. Cargo operations must cease with 18 kilometre per hour (kph) winds. Transfer hoses must be disconnected with 22 kph winds. Ships seeking to arrive in port should seek an alternate destination.

Zulu: Gale force winds within 12 hours. The port is closed.

• Like 2

Just now, Heidi pour another Beer said:

Whiskey: Set when gale force winds are expected to arrive at the port within 72 hours. Port remains open to all commercial traffic, but oceangoing ships and barges must report their intention to remain in port or depart. If they are departing, they must do so within 12 hours of gale-force winds.

X-Ray: Gale force winds are expected within 48 hours. The rules are similar to port condition Whiskey.

Yankee: Gale force winds predicted within 24 hours. Vessels seeking to depart must arrange immediate departure. Cargo operations must cease with 18 kilometre per hour (kph) winds. Transfer hoses must be disconnected with 22 kph winds. Ships seeking to arrive in port should seek an alternate destination.

Zulu: Gale force winds within 12 hours. The port is closed.

They are at code Yankee according to their tweet.

Forgive my ignorance, but if vessels are supposed to arrange departure immediately at code Yankee, what does that mean for Oasis sitting there? Are they calling back all the passengers that might have ventured out to Orlando?

Edited by cruise_co

31 minutes ago, cruise_co said:

Forgive my ignorance, but if vessels are supposed to arrange departure immediately at code Yankee, what does that mean for Oasis sitting there? Are they calling back all the passengers that might have ventured out to Orlando?

It's a good question, but I don't see any practical way they could be calling back passengers. 

I'd expect that they would have been watching the forecasts and if they were going to need to leave early, notified the passengers of a shorter port stop (It's already stupid short), or possibly skipped it entirely.  Do we know that they are there right now?

24 minutes ago, PATRLR said:

It's a good question, but I don't see any practical way they could be calling back passengers. 

I'd expect that they would have been watching the forecasts and if they were going to need to leave early, notified the passengers of a shorter port stop (It's already stupid short), or possibly skipped it entirely.  Do we know that they are there right now?

Yup, she is on the webcam

59 minutes ago, cruise_co said:

The port was aware of the storm and I am sure Oasis is part of the limited operations the port is allowing.  

• Like 1

From the Port Authority website (two minutes ago):

"TUESDAY, AUGUST 29, 2023 - PORT CANAVERAL AT CONDITION "YANKEE": The U.S. Coast Guard Captain of the Port (COTP) has set Port Condition "YANKEE" for Port Canaveral: Sustained gale force winds are predicted within 24 hours. Port Canaveral is open and conducting limited Port operations and preparing for the closure of waterside and vessel shoreside Port operations. Vessel owners and operators should take immediate decisive action to comply with Port orders to ensure the safety of their vessels, crews and/or facilities. 

Based on current forecasts and storm information, Port Canaveral is NOT issuing a marina evacuation order for Hurricane Idalia. Vessels berthed at marinas located in Port Canaveral should consult with their marina owner/operator and comply with marina specific requirements and precautions."

1 hour ago, cruise_co said:

Long before the port set condition Yankee, the ship would have made specific arrangements with the coast guard wrt their port call and plans. 

• Like 1

Just a heads up. Back when hurricane Harvey hit Galveston we were were set to cruise. I called the day before RCL said it was a go. We changed our flight to get there earlier ( turned out to be the last flight allowed to land). Royal kept telling us the cruise was still a go. Sunday they said it was delayed but still a go. Monday night they finally canceled after the port was officially closed. Unfortunately so were all airports and rental cars. We were stranded 5 days in a hotel with little food. Roads were closed. It was mess. Looking back  I wish I had just rebooted. My daughter was so anxious my step daughter got a UTI and got really sick from it. 

So just be safe and be smart. We finally got a rental van day 5 and drove around 37 hours home. Constantly being turned around due to flooding.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, njkruzer said:

Tampa is at Zulu. Serenade is due in Thursday and Grandeur on September 2nd.  Grandeur should be ok if port is ok.

We’re due to board Grandeur on Saturday.  I think everything will have pushed through by then.