Radiance of the Seas - Propulsion Problems - Engine, Propeller, or Azipod Issue? How long to fix?

Coochuck

Since the Radiance had to cut short it' s Alaskan Cruise last week, and had to cancel this weeks cruise due to Propulsion Problems, we are awaiting word on how many more cruises will be canceled, if any.  If an Azipod or Engine has to be replaced or repaired, does anyone have any idea how long this work will take?    Currently the ship is docked in Seward Alaska.  Does the ship have to go into Dry Dock to have these repairs made?  Waiting on word from Royal, as we have B2B cruises on her starting on 9/29.  Thanks

• Like 2

Hi, from Seward. We are currently on the Radiance about to end our 2 day "cruise to ... Seward" (humor intended!). We understand last bus to ANC is 2pm today, Sunday 9/3/23. We have heard a lot of speculation in the last 48 hours about (a) what happened to the ship near Hubbard glacier and (b) what will happen to the ship to be repaired. Keep in mind that NONE of this info has been verified by any crew member "of standing", so it is wild speculation and treat it as such. Ironically, if RCL would be a little more forthcoming with info, we all wouldn"t have to wonder how much of what I am about to say is true or pure fiction. The fact is I do not know for sure.

(A) What happened? The best credible story I heard was that one of the azipods collided with ice near Hubbard. The story after, deteriorates into fiction about the ship needing to go south to Victoria BC to get repaired. I find that part of the story has holes. I don't think a Victoria repair sounds credible. It's a great place to have High Tea, but I question it being a repair center for a cruise ship!

(B) What will happen? This part may more credible (coming from our stateroom attendant). We were saying our goodbyes minutes ago and he stated that a repair ship is coming to Seward. He was told to be prepared for 15 days of downtime. So if you are on the 9/8/23 sailing or the next one after, my suggestion to get on phone with RCL and talk about how they will make you whole. We look forward to our promised total refund, compensation of RCL-covered flights home and "100% future cruise credit" to be used next Sep 2024.

- Hope this helps

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

Victoria has the capability to do repairs on the smaller radiance class ships and they have been hauled into a drydock there before. If the parts are available, and the damage isn't too bad, it is possible to get her fixed. Until a diver, in full cold gear looks at it is all speculation. RCCL will post an update when the inspection is complete. Regardless, the ship will eventually get repaired, and she will probably have paying passengers on departure from Victoria. As said, until the inspection is complete and availability of parts is established, it is probably too early to panic. I believe the Serenade did a retrofit there a couple of years ago.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, middlehaitch said:

@70sGringo Victoria has a large dry dock that Cruise lines do use. 

Victoria is not just a pretty face 😁

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-services-procurement/news/2017/02/esquimalt_gravingdock.html

Cheers, h. 

While the facility is there. is it empty and available.

• Like 1

If  indeed the damage was ice induced, that would mean bent propeller blades on the azipod.  Those can be replaced in water.  It depends on where they have their spare blades, and how easily they can be shipped to where the repair will take place.  Just need some shoreside crane assistance (a typical road crane will do), and a diver service.  Could be Seward, but most likely Victoria, but again, drydock is not required for this.

If it is not from ice, then it could be a bearing failure.  If it is, then it will require drydock to repair, since the Radiance was built before the XO model azipod (upgrade with internal bearing renewal) came into service.

In all, unless there is delay in shipping parts to the shipyard, 14 days seems excessive for the repair, unless they are including some "blank" days just to match back into the schedule.

New propeller blades would take about 2 days from when the blades arrive, to install.  An azipod bearing renewal is also about 2-3 days, plus 2 days for drying and flooding the dock, and a couple days to set keel blocks (but this could be done while Radiance is coming to the yard), but this all depends on whether there is a slot that they could fit the ship in, in the drydock's schedule.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 6

18 minutes ago, middlehaitch said:

@70sGringo Victoria has a large dry dock that Cruise lines do use. 

Victoria is not just a pretty face 😁

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-services-procurement/news/2017/02/esquimalt_gravingdock.html

Cheers, h. 

Agreed....Looks when the latest Azipods were installed the work was done in Victoria:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There is a floating dry dock in Vancouver but I've only seen small ships use it.  At 200m it's too short for Radiance.

The Esquimalt Graving Dock appears up to the task but availability is unknown.  If there is already a ship being serviced or once scheduled to be it's unlikely they would be able to accommodate Radiance on short notice.  Who knows?  Maybe they have an opening.    

9 hours ago, 70sGringo said:

Hi, from Seward. We are currently on the Radiance about to end our 2 day "cruise to ... Seward" (humor intended!). We understand last bus to ANC is 2pm today, Sunday 9/3/23. We have heard a lot of speculation in the last 48 hours about (a) what happened to the ship near Hubbard glacier and (b) what will happen to the ship to be repaired. Keep in mind that NONE of this info has been verified by any crew member "of standing", so it is wild speculation and treat it as such. Ironically, if RCL would be a little more forthcoming with info, we all wouldn"t have to wonder how much of what I am about to say is true or pure fiction. The fact is I do not know for sure.

(A) What happened? The best credible story I heard was that one of the azipods collided with ice near Hubbard. The story after, deteriorates into fiction about the ship needing to go south to Victoria BC to get repaired. I find that part of the story has holes. I don't think a Victoria repair sounds credible. It's a great place to have High Tea, but I question it being a repair center for a cruise ship!

(B) What will happen? This part may more credible (coming from our stateroom attendant). We were saying our goodbyes minutes ago and he stated that a repair ship is coming to Seward. He was told to be prepared for 15 days of downtime. So if you are on the 9/8/23 sailing or the next one after, my suggestion to get on phone with RCL and talk about how they will make you whole. We look forward to our promised total refund, compensation of RCL-covered flights home and "100% future cruise credit" to be used next Sep 2024.

- Hope this helps

Good evening.

Have you been able to determine more factual / accurate details about the propulsion issue(s) ? before you left the ship ? Did the encounter with the '' bergie '' happened in Hubbard glacier itself ?

Thanks for sharig

2 minutes ago, STEVE-O said:

Just got an Email from Royal Caribbean.   They're planning on sailing 09-08 as scheduled.

Repairs are underway!!

Received that email for the 8th sailing + a text saying the same for the 8th & 15th sailing.

It did say another update would come out tomorrow (Tuesday). It looks hopeful but seems a final decision has not been made yet.

In any case, let the packing begin! We are flying out Wednesday evening from Minnesota & need a final decision by then.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RevCyn said:

Received that email for the 8th sailing + a text saying the same for the 8th & 15th sailing.

It did say another update would come out tomorrow (Tuesday). It looks hopeful but seems a final decision has not been made yet.

In any case, let the packing begin! We are flying out Wednesday evening from Minnesota & need a final decision by then.

Can you post a screenshot. I’m trying to up the hope for that sailing and the next & that would confirm it for them . There’s some sad people out there. I’m keeping the Faith✝️😊

Hi,

Sounds good that repairs are being done '' on site'' in Seward, meaning no drydock needed.However, one hopes repairs will be COMPLETED soon enough to allow Radiance to sail deadhead to Vancouver in time for 8th september sailing. IMO , minimum 80  + / -  hrs is needed for her to hit the open Pacific ocean , deliver the best V-Max left in her ( she is 23 years old after all...) , zip right to Vancouver and be docked by latest 1100hr/08sep in order to operate the 8th sept sailing. As of this writing, she is still docked in Seward.....Fingers crossed.

cheers

• Like 1

I have to think that the rumors of it hitting ice are probably accurate.  This late in the season, the tops of some small bergs have melted away and there could be some very large hunks lurking right under the surface. Some have said they heard and felt a bang when it happened so it makes sense to me. 

I live in Anchorage, and the local news

reports are vague. It does seem like the real problem is being kept hush hush. Who knows though. I hope all the pax affected were able to at best, get on a Princess ship Saturday or a Holland America ship Sunday to sail south or at least enjoy a few days of Alaska over the weekend before flying home. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1