Proper ID docs while passport is being renewed?

craig01020

1 hour ago, craig01020 said:

My passport book will be sent for renewal between cruises and I won't have it for one or two closed-loop Caribbean cruises.

Anyone here ever have an issue boarding with birth certificate?  Anyone tried using a passport card?

Thanks.

Provided you are a US citizen a birth certificate and a valid government issued photo ID will be acceptable for a closed loop cruise departing from a US port

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, craig01020 said:

My passport book will be sent for renewal between cruises and I won't have it for one or two closed-loop Caribbean cruises.

Anyone here ever have an issue boarding with birth certificate?  Anyone tried using a passport card?

Thanks.

Passport card works exactly like a passport

book on a closed loop cruise, no need for anything else. 

Edited by not-enough-cruising

You can have two passports for reasons like  like having to travel to Israel and then to countries where you can't get in if you have Israel stamp.  Another common reason for 2nd passport is if you need to send the first to foreign consulates for visa applications.  Many people that travel constantly around the world have two legal passports.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jasukkie said:

Is there any way to renew your passport without mailing in your current passport?

Yes, with restrictions. I knew I didn't have enough time between cruises to mail and renew my passport.

You can call the State Department 14 days before an International travel. They will schedule an appointment for you to physically go to the nearest Department of State passport issuing office...in my case, it was San Francisco.

My appointment was scheduled 2 days before our flight to Singapore...for the Spectrum.

It was an easy, but extremely time consuming process...all day, and lots of waiting...submit all your completed documents, proof of travel, passport photos, and payment (extra $ for expedited service.)

They tell all applicants to return in the afternoon and you get your new passport...same day.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Passport card works exactly like a passport

book on a closed loop cruise, no need for anything else. 

Pretty sure that both Paper Passport & Card are essentially cancelled (no longer valid) during the renewal cycle.

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, adolfo2 said:

Pretty sure that both Paper Passport & Card are essentially cancelled (no longer valid) during the renewal cycle.

This is true if the book and card were issued at the same time. 
Our passport books and cards were issued at

different times and have different expiration dates (about 3 years apart). We did it this way for this exact scenario. 
My passport book is away for renewal as we type; but my passport card (with a July 2026 expiration)  is in my safe and ready for my Allure cruise at the end of the month. 

Edited by not-enough-cruising
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, not-enough-cruising said:

This is true if the book and card were issued at the same time. 
Our passport books and cards were issued at

different times and have different expiration dates (about 3 years apart). We did it this way for this exact scenario. 
My passport book is away for renewal as we type; but my passport card (with a July 2026 expiration)  is in my safe and ready for my Allure cruise at the end of the month. 

I was thinking of doing that. Did you have to surrender your passport book when applying for the passport card?

17 minutes ago, craig01020 said:

I was thinking of doing that. Did you have to surrender your passport book when applying for the passport card?

Yes, for the initial card application you do; then after that you only send in the book when renewing the book and the card when renewing the card. 

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, chfenton said:

You can have two passports for reasons like  like having to travel to Israel and then to countries where you can't get in if you have Israel stamp.  Another common reason for 2nd passport is if you need to send the first to foreign consulates for visa applications.  Many people that travel constantly around the world have two legal passports.

Have had many Friends with Dual Citizenship

8 hours ago, craig01020 said:

Sounds like a nail-biter. 😬

Yes, it was. There were people that got their passport and flying the same day.

* We watched a couple, openly crying and desperately explaining their travel situation to the State Department employee...to no avail...one passport was denied.

Everyone sitting and waiting at the office were speculating an error was made or perhaps a wrong document was submitted...no one knew...it was sad.

I was puckered up, legs shaking, heartbeat pounding, and waited until 4:15pm when my nunber was finally called...what a relief getting that new passport.

3 hours ago, ONECRUISER said:

Have had many Friends with Dual Citizenship

Yes of course dual citizenship would have two separate country passports. Just to be clear, I'm also letting people know you can apply for a 2nd US passport and have two US passports both valid at same time.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Jasukkie said:

Just out of curiousity, what do travel workers like pilots and flight attendants do with this issue? Is there any way to renew your passport without mailing in your current passport?

You used to be able to go to the Miami (there are other locations also) passport office and get it renewed right there. Now there is something where you are given a temporary passport to use while you send in yours to get renewed. The temp is only good I think for 6 months. This is a new procedure and DH haven’t had to use this yet. This is how airline crew do it and not sure who else this would apply to.

Edited by ReneeFLL
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

One is placed on domestic only assignments during passport processing. 

I guess that’s a possibility, but we have never heard of it. Flight crew need to have valid passports at all times. A plane could get diverted to another country and then there would be a passport issue so I don’t think it would be allowed. My guess is if crew don’t have current passports then they can’t fly. It’s never happened to DH so he can’t say 100%. Domestic crew are also required to have valid passports at all times. Maybe there is a crew member on here that has ran into the situation?

58 minutes ago, chfenton said:

Yes of course dual citizenship would have two separate country passports. Just to be clear, I'm also letting people know you can apply for a 2nd US passport and have two US passports both valid at same time.

How does that happen when they require you to send in the old one?

On 9/3/2023 at 11:12 PM, Jasukkie said:

Just out of curiousity, what do travel workers like pilots and flight attendants do with this issue? Is there any way to renew your passport without mailing in your current passport?

I would always  hold 2 passports for this reason, Failing that, you wait until  the renewal comes through for international flights. Some jurisdictions won’t allow you to hold 2 passports issued by the same authority.

18 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

How does that happen when they require you to send in the old one?

They don't always.  You can use form DS-82  and apply for a second passport if you can submit your first passport or you can us form DS-11 and apply in person if you can't give up your first passport (or you don't have it because for example say its at the Chinese consulate getting a visa).