How-to: Disable the motion-sensing light on Princess (w/pic)

thedawgman

On 9/6/2023 at 4:35 PM, Thrak said:

The only thing that bothers us about the closet light is the lack of a switch for manual control. I hate it when I'm doing something in that area and the dang light suddenly turns off. Disabling it and not having any light available in that area is a non-starter for us.

The bedside lights, however, are truly annoying. They go off if the ship moves and the blanket moves. I usually just put one of the small bolster type pillows on the floor in front of the night stand and that solves the issue. I do have a supply of painter's tape wrapped around an old Popsicle stick if I decide to actually disable the things.

On Sky, I covered the closet light sensor with tape and found out that wall switch by the entrance door would turn the light on when we needed it. It was on a timer however.

Hi all, sorry new to this 

I’ll be on the Crown

is there more than one sensor? More than one light that is controlled by the sensor?
I want some light for going to the bathroom at night, but I don’t want the whole room to light up. 

I was thinking of using Post-it notes 

Edited by CanadianCruiser21

2 hours ago, CanadianCruiser21 said:

Hi all, sorry new to this 

I’ll be on the Crown

is there more than one sensor? More than one light that is controlled by the sensor?
I want some light for going to the bathroom at night, but I don’t want the whole room to light up. 

I was thinking of using Post-it notes 

In our room on the Royal (interior cabin) there was one on the ceiling light between the bathroom and closet (picture) and one each at the base of the bedside tables to provide light when you step out of bed – but those floor sensors were too sensitive and it would light up even if you hung your foot over the edge of the bed. The only one that takes some thinking to block is the ceiling sensor, though. You can easily block the floor sensors with a shoe, pillow, etc.

If you want some light at night, you could either put a night light in the bathroom, or just leave the bathroom light on with the door closed – some light leaks out around the edges, but nothing too bright.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/4/2023 at 2:58 AM, PacnGoNow said:

Never duct tape, as that could leave a residue.

On 9/7/2023 at 2:04 PM, EMS8 said:

He covered the sensor with duct tape.  Problem solved!  

Duct Tape... never leave home (or the Earth) without it.

moon7jllll duct tape fixes all.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 9/3/2023 at 10:53 PM, thedawgman said:

Just back from an Alaska roundtrip out of Seattle on the Royal Princess. Fun was had by all, but… That light. You know the one, the ceiling light near the bathroom that comes on when it detects the slightest bit of motion. I called the service desk and was told (as others here have reported) that’s it’s a safety feature and cannot be turned off. I know that some have said they got the cabin steward to cover it with duct tape, but I didn’t want to ask him override a “safety” device if I could avoid it b/c I didn’t want to put him in a bad spot. So here (pictured) is my solution. I just took a small piece of paper that came with all the other stuff they gave us on day one and secured it around the motion sensor by slipping it into the cracks. Problem solved.

IMG_2628.jpeg

Duct Tape

48 minutes ago, LRCruzr said:

What's your Point??

I believe the point is that the sticky stuff left will mean more work for the steward to clean up. We just put a rolled up towel against the light by the bed and it doesn’t go on

14 minutes ago, memoak said:

I believe the point is that the sticky stuff left will mean more work for the steward to clean up. We just put a rolled up towel against the light by the bed and it doesn’t go on

Or he/she will eventually get the point to just leave on if they try to remove it enough times😆.

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

The light comes on when you enter the hallway area.  It goes off shortly after you leave.  I just can't see this as a big (or even small) issue.   

In my experience the light comes on when I enter the closet area and goes off while I'm still trying to find something on the shelf or inside the safe.

So, yes, it is an issue.

PLEASE don't use duct tape. Why not adopt the motto of many wilderness visitors..."Leave no trace"? Blue painters tape is more "friendly" and will pop right off while doing exactly what you want to do. 

Just wrap some duct tape around your hand and give it a quick jerk...then do the same with blue tape!

33 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

In my experience the light comes on when I enter the closet area and goes off while I'm still trying to find something on the shelf or inside the safe.

So, yes, it is an issue.

I had the same experience. Had to wave my hand for it to come back on.  Ruined my whole cruise. 🙂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

I had the same experience. Had to wave my hand for it to come back on.  Ruined my whole cruise. 🙂

Speaking of "waving your hand"... I apply my blue painters tape across the bathroom "hall" sensor so that there is a bit of a gap at the top nearest the ceiling.  Doing so lets me wave my hand across the top of the tape between it and the ceiling and I still get the light when I want it...no automatic trigger when you don't!

The first time we experienced this we were not aware of the issue, so we did not have any tape with us.  But we always travel with Band-Aids (or "plasters" for our UK friends).  So on Day Two we put one of those over the sensor.  It looked like our light had a boo-boo.  The steward saw it when he did up our room that evening and he replaced the bandage with painter's tape.  So obviously this had become routine for him.  Painters tape has now been added to my "Cruise Packing List" as a required item.   

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JimmyVWine said:

The first time we experienced this we were not aware of the issue, so we did not have any tape with us.  But we always travel with Band-Aids (or "plasters" for our UK friends).  So on Day Two we put one of those over the sensor.  It looked like our light had a boo-boo.  The steward saw it when he did up our room that evening and he replaced the bandage with painter's tape.  So obviously this had become routine for him.  Painters tape has now been added to my "Cruise Packing List" as a required item.   

And there you have it folks! An endorsement from an actual crew member for painters tape! 😃

1 minute ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

And there you have it folks! An endorsement from an actual crew member for painters tape! 😃

Yes.  My point exactly!

And I should have taken a photo of it.  He used enough tape to block out one of those Hollywood Premier Opening Flood Lights.  

Edited by JimmyVWine
  • Haha 1