You can't make these things up!!

whitecap

@whitecap might be time for you to cruise on a different cruise line and/or select a different type of vacation. Don't spend your money on an experience you no longer enjoy, for whatever reason.

I have never liked buffets...mainland or on cruises. So I usually purchase the dining plan or eat most of my meals in the MDR. No sense in complaining. You have the option to do something different. Do it!

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, whitecap said:

We have seen a lot of things on our cruises but can honestly say that never to the extent that we have seen it on this ship, this cruise.  

I can honestly say I have seen those things (especially eating a French fries in line) on every cruise I've ever been on. Nothing new. However, the finger licking etc with covid and norovirus is disgusting and so wrong.

I use wet wipes after touching the utensils when I sit down before I start to eat. You wash your hands when you enter, but then touch so many serving utensils it's a must.

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, RyderJ201 said:

I can honestly say I have seen those things (especially eating a French fries in line) on every cruise I've ever been on. Nothing new. However, the finger licking etc with covid and norovirus is disgusting and so wrong.

I use wet wipes after touching the utensils when I sit down before I start to eat. You wash your hands when you enter, but then touch so many serving utensils it's a must.

Exactly my point.  We wash at the entrance then use a small bottle of sanitizer at the table before eating.  

• Like 4

Okay, I need clarification:  If I grab a tong full of french fries and put them on my plate, and then while I'm cruising all the other stations/selections eat a french fry or two several times, is that a sin with some of you?  I mean, my hands never touch any part of my mouth/body while selecting other items, it's french fries that are basically handles on both sides.  I do this all the time and will continue to do so and if I don't like them, I leave them on the plate to be picked up at the table.  Note:  Not one germ transferred from my hand(s) to the serving line(s)/steam table(s).  I would never put something on my plate and then put it back on the serving line and I will never eat something directly from the serving utensil(s) OR reach into the steam table/heating lamp, whatever just to try something.  

• Haha 1

Eating while on line is unsanitary. Just opening your mouth can cause saliva droplets to be expelled. Just wait until you get to your table.

That being said, the real offence noted in this thread was the people licking their fingers and then touching the utensils.

• Like 4

I have disliked Windjammer buffet for decades , I no longer use it , we book suites on oasis class which gives us suite restaurant and we book specialty restaurants. Oasis class also gives you more free options for lunch , plus superior entertainment.

Edited by George C

27 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

Okay, I need clarification:  If I grab a tong full of french fries and put them on my plate, and then while I'm cruising all the other stations/selections eat a french fry or two several times, is that a sin with some of you?  I mean, my hands never touch any part of my mouth/body while selecting other items, it's french fries that are basically handles on both sides.  I do this all the time and will continue to do so and if I don't like them, I leave them on the plate to be picked up at the table.  Note:  Not one germ transferred from my hand(s) to the serving line(s)/steam table(s).  I would never put something on my plate and then put it back on the serving line and I will never eat something directly from the serving utensil(s) OR reach into the steam table/heating lamp, whatever just to try something.  

Honestly, having your mouth breath on your fingers as you eat them, then touch more serving utensils is unsanitary to me. Just cause covid and norovirus spread so easily on ships. And I so don't recommend eating anything till you sit and wipe/sanitize your hands first. Everyone is touching those serving spoons.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, ngrund said:

Eating while on line is unsanitary. Just opening your mouth can cause saliva droplets to be expelled. Just wait until you get to your table.

So, talking, yawning, and coughing/sneezing into your inner elbow is a sin!

23 minutes ago, ngrund said:

That being said, the real offence noted in this thread was the people licking their fingers and then touching the utensils.

But, that's not what I asked about.  I failed to see any unsanitary activity that I described.   

21 minutes ago, George C said:

I have disliked Windjammer buffet for decades , I no longer use it , we book suites on oasis class which gives us suite restaurant and we book specialty restaurants. Oasis class also gives you more free options for lunch , plus superior entertainment.

I totally agree, for the most part.  I do the same as much as possible.  HOWEVER, I do go to the WJ for breakfast often, no matter what ship I'm on.  I like piling the bacon on my plate and not having to ask for more several times at the full-service venues, for me, it's kinda like asking for permission.  On occasion, I may eat in the WJ for lunch, especially on port days.  That's generally when I eat the fries while I'm walking around, at the service line or not.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, RyderJ201 said:

Honestly, having your mouth breath on your fingers as you eat them, then touch more serving utensils is unsanitary to me. Just cause covid and norovirus spread so easily on ships. And I so don't recommend eating anything till you sit and wipe/sanitize your hands first. Everyone is touching those serving spoons.

Have you not observed the many many many people scratching their noses, blowing their noses, caught in their hands, wiping drool from their kid's faces, covering their mouths while yawning, and on and on?  And then handle the serving utensils?  No, breathing on my hand is not an issue and I usually hold my breath while stuffing my mouth with food, anyway.  How many vertically challenged people have you seen with direct line of sight without any glass separation to the steam table have you seen talking, yawning, and all of the above?

No, I think we have selective facts and situations to meet our own sensitivities, not true logic.  

8 minutes ago, ngrund said:

But a 100% avoidable action is. Just wait until you get to your damn table to eat.

No, I don't want to.  A 100% avoidable action that isn't harming anybody, not one bit.  When all the other situations/actions/activities are completely regulated and done away with, I'll consider it. 

Ill wash my hands going into the buffet , and then handle all the germ laden utensils as i select my food.

I will then not touch any of the food with my hands and use a knife and fork for everything.

Even a muffin .🙂

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, loman said:

Ill wash my hands going into the buffet , and then handle all the germ laden utensils as i select my food.

Yes, exactly, the hand sanitizer and/or washy washy is pure unadulterated BS/whitewash. Your hands are sanitized up until you touch your mouth/nose or the first hard surface you touch, including utensils.  

That's not to say don't do it, I always do.  But, I go into it with knowledge and logic.  

• Like 1

Have you not observed the many many many people scratching their noses, blowing their noses, caught in their hands, wiping drool from their kid's faces, covering their mouths while yawning, and on and on?  And then handle the serving utensils?  No, breathing on my hand is not an issue and I usually hold my breath while stuffing my mouth with food, anyway.  How many vertically challenged people have you seen with direct line of sight without any glass separation to the steam table have you seen talking, yawning, and all of the above?

No, I think we have selective facts and situations to meet our own sensitivities, not true logic.  

Those people you talk about are no better. But I still think eating and touching the utensils is also gross. JMHO

1 minute ago, RyderJ201 said:

Those people you talk about are no better. But I still think eating and touching the utensils is also gross. JMHO

Well, thank you for your honest opinion and that's all it is.  That's all I was looking for even though I believe you are lumping various activities into one large bucket.  What I do vs what I've mentioned above by others are not the same activity.  My view of what you are saying is just the optics of it, what I do.  Not based on facts and science.

Well, thank you for your honest opinion and that's all it is.  That's all I was looking for even though I believe you are lumping various activities into one large bucket.  What I do vs what I've mentioned above by others are not the same activity.  My view of what you are saying is just the optics of it, what I do.  Not based on facts and science.

Your honest opinion is all yours is as well.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

All I can think of after reading this is I'm glad I carry a small bottle of hand sanitizer on my tote bag.  I can't stop these people, but thank you for the reminder that I need to sanitize my hands after I return to my table in the Windjammer. 

That is, if I even go to the Windjammer at all.  The OP's description is what I experienced on the Vision right after the menu changes and cutbacks started in mid-January this year.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, RRTcruiser said:

Last year on a cruise one of the windjammer guests near us used the cloth napkin to blow his nose into then set it on his dirty plate. 

———-Where it went to the laundry. Should he have used his shirt sleeve or just done the outdoorsman thing and——well you know where that lands.

18 hours ago, taglovestocruise said:

Nope, it is the demographics. We have sailed twice in the last year on Disney, I could not believe the difference in passenger quality. Everyone is very polite, kids are well behaved, little to no cutting in line. One of my pet peeves is the amount of people taking videos in all the showrooms on Royal ships, on Disney I think the number is 0.  Things are changing on Royal and not for the better. That being said our next booked cruise will be on a Westbound Oasis Class TA. Hard to give up $2000 in voucher cocktails. 

Wow! I never added up how much we get dollarwise in drink vouchers! On our B2B next month we’ll be getting $1,680 on the first cruise and $2,100 on the TA… 🍸🍷🍹🥂🥃

18 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

While I definitely see a decline in "civility", I don't think I've ever seen the behavior noted by the OP.  Not perfect, by any means, but over our 50 cruises, many on RC, no, nothing that bad.

I have and it is unfortunately getting worse by what I’ve seen. It was good during Covid when they served the food in the WJ, but then that stopped. Anyone who is even a slight germaphobe will notice things like that.