Advice on Celebrity booking with big box TA

patty1955

I think you're lucky that Celebrity would even talk to you about this. The booking actually belongs to the TA, and it's their job to correct it, either through Celebrity or themselves. I rarely use a TA, and would never use a big box or the on line, because you never speak to the same person twice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tigervixxxen said:

So the problem is you thought you had all included but they also didn’t charge you for it? And can’t add it back to the booking now, or that you don’t want to pay the extra for it? You can’t threaten cancellation because it’s sold out, right? It’s going to be difficult imo because you didn’t actually pay for AI so they can’t just give that to you free. I agree with the OBC angle for your trouble and that’s something they should be able to manage. 

A year ago, the AI was included in the price of a cruise. I had it on the first booking and was told it was included in the price of this one. I should not have to pay for something that was supposed to be included with the price of the cruise. 

• Like 6

41 minutes ago, patty1955 said:

A year ago, the AI was included in the price of a cruise. I had it on the first booking and was told it was included in the price of this one. I should not have to pay for something that was supposed to be included with the price of the cruise. 

But did you actually pay for it is the question and the root of the issue. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, tigervixxxen said:

It sounds like they paid what they were told it would cost including the AI.  If that's the price they were given, they shouldn't be expected to make up for an error made by the TA who didn't realize the price they quoted didn't include AI

• Like 4

2 hours ago, patty1955 said:

Sorry.  Deleted my original comment because I just saw your earlier post (#16 to 17) indicating it is shown as included on the invoice.  Seems they are on the hook.   Unless that also was a big mistake (probably was).  At this point they are trying to limit the damage I guess. 

Edited by ldubs

1 hour ago, tigervixxxen said:

1 hour ago, dateacher said:

It sounds like they paid what they were told it would cost including the AI.  If that's the price they were given, they shouldn't be expected to make up for an error made by the TA who didn't realize the price they quoted didn't include AI

The invoice says:

Included Extras

svg-check.png  $405 Digital XXXXX Shop Card 
Classic Beverage Package (all guests sharing a stateroom)
Prepaid Gratuities (all guests sharing a stateroom)
Unlimited Surf Internet Package for two
All Included: Not combinable with other offers including but not limited to Simply Sail and Loyalty rates. No refunds issued for unused amounts. All guests in qualifying stateroom are eligible to receive amenities, except Wi-Fi. Packages cannot be shared. Not applicable to gift shop, mini-bar or room service. Must be 21+ to purchase or consume alcohol. Prepaid gratuities will be added to your account and applied to reservation within 10 days of booking. Guests with Internet Packages will receive instructions for Internet access in their staterooms on first day of cruise. Xcelerate Surf Package includes basic internet service allowing web browsing, email access and text messenger services for guests 1 and 2. Single occupancy bookings are eligible. All guests in same stateroom must select same options at time of booking. Changes to booking may result in removal of offer. Other restrictions and exclusions may apply, including Galapagos cruises. Valid for new bookings only.
  • Like 1

My 10 cents:  Demand what you were told you would receive.  They can afford it, defrauded you, and presumably enjoy some form of reputation among box stores.  You may even be a so called member and have floated them operating capital.  So, easy answer as here they made a grievous error and you should demand full satisfaction, and continue to share your experience, which will help others and being attention to a company that should have its act together.  It's not for you to troubleshoot or compromise, as they have it within their power to make you whole.  Adding a package is not like messing up a room or a date.  It is solveable by the TA.  And, you should get their commission, if any, for your trouble.  No reason from them to profit from their mistake. 

Edited by Cap_D
  • Like 1

You have an invoice in writing that says you get the classic beverage package and they are trying to get out of it. Don't pay up front and count on a written guarantee to reimburse you. If they aren't making it right now, why would they make it right after the cruise.

I would continue to escalate with the TA. Since you have proof in writing, you can also make a complaint with the better business bureau. I've found that to be really helpful in the past when companies don't follow through.

• Like 3

Apologies for this diversion, but I'm not familiar with big box TAs.  Can someone list a few examples without breaking the forum rules - not looking for reviews or anything?  What's the benefit of working with them?  Better perks?  Seems to me there are no differences in cruise prices among any TA.  

13 minutes ago, daydreamer16 said:

It's usually about the extras, mostly OBC. In the case of this TA it would be gift card to the store as well.

Right. Also, it's usually easier to get through to the TA on the phone.

I don't think those perks are enough to risk going through this again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Please let us know what happens.  I was once involved with this Big Box company, but my experience was so bad that I had to actually get Celebrity’s help; this was just before Covid hit.  The person that booked my cruise turned out to be wackadoddle.  Luckily, I had a phone number that took it up a few levels, so was able to work everything out for my cruise.  Never again will I use them.  One and done, but I certainly understand they can give back  lots of money.

• Like 1

If this is the Big Box company in NH, I had booked many cruises with them, because they always had great prices…. Then I had a problem…. and could never reach their customer service. It was a Princess cruise and fortunately, Princess helped with my problem. I have never used them again.  Abbey I’m not getting the lowest price, but I can always reach my TA, who helped significantly on a COVID cruise….

They should honor what you have paid for, period.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Margarita Jane said:

If this is the Big Box company in NH, I had booked many cruises with them, because they always had great prices…. Then I had a problem…. and could never reach their customer service. It was a Princess cruise and fortunately, Princess helped with my problem. I have never used them again.  Abbey I’m not getting the lowest price, but I can always reach my TA, who helped significantly on a COVID cruise….

They should honor what you have paid for, period.

I think you're talking about a different company. I believe the OP is referencing the Big Box home based out of Washington State. I've used both companies as they both provide a good amount of OBC. Last time I booked with the NH company we had communication challenges because they try to force you to use email instead a simple phone call, so huge time lags to get responses. TBH I've also had snafus when booking directly with Celebrity (dropped OBC for no reason) and also had after the fact errors with BCC (charged change fees when not making a change). We just returned from a DIY planned land trip and had to change rooms on night 2 for one of our stops due to a hotel's booking error. They wanted to charge us and extra $125 to stay in the same room even though it was their error. I think unfortunately we're seeing a downgrading across the travel industry and need to become well informed travelers who keep on top of travel plans.  

• Like 3

On 9/14/2023 at 1:42 PM, patty1955 said:

Over a year ago, we booked a cruise that included Mumbai. After researching the ports, we decided to change it to a Singapore to Tokyo cruise. I called our big box TA and asked to have our deposit changed to the new cruise and they changed it immediately. While we were settling the cruise specifics, I asked if this would include the AI. She said that it would and it was included on our invoice. Since then I’ve never seen any indication on the Celebrity website that the AI was included but we’ve had that issue before and it’s never been a problem. The new cruise has been sold out for several months now.

Last week I called to have a FCC applied to the payment. While verifying the booking, the agent said something about us not having any perks. I told her that we had the AI package and it was memorialized in our invoice. She repeated that we didn’t have any perks and I told her that wasn’t acceptable. She did some research and came back and said the booking didn’t include the perks and that was why it “was so cheap”. I told her that we had a problem with that and she referred it up to a manager. I talked to the manager yesterday who told me that since the drink package cost over $2000, she was going to have a problem getting this resolved. She verified that she listened to the original phone call and I did ask about the AI and it was supposed to be included. She wanted to know if we would be willing to be flexible with the perks before she took it to the next level. I told her since we were Elite Plus, the internet wasn’t that important but we wanted the drink package and gratuities. She asked if we’d be willing to pay for our drinks on the ship and submit our folio for reimbursement after the cruise. The reimbursement would be limited to the classic drink package amounts. I told her I’d think about it.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how we should navigate this situation? I firmly believe in honey rather than vinegar but I don’t want to lose what we thought we paid for. Would it help to get the Captain's Club involved?

When you book or transfer to an Agent they control the reservation and are paid a commission for their service.    I would call you agent ask for a copy of Celebrity's Confirmation.  

If you want to search around you might go into your Celebrity Account -  Under Plan my Cruise  -  Go into Purchase History -  If you look at all the items "Purchased" you should be able to see a drink package with either an Orange or Lime -  This indicates either a Classic or Premium Package.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Winemaker_1 said:

Apologies for this diversion, but I'm not familiar with big box TAs.  Can someone list a few examples without breaking the forum rules - not looking for reviews or anything?  What's the benefit of working with them?  Better perks?  Seems to me there are no differences in cruise prices among any TA.  

The main benefit is they give around 11% back in addition to any credit card points/cash. The downside is that they do not participate in move up offers if that is important to you. I know that this does not apply to the OP's situation, but I alway advise to book directly with the cruise line and then - within the required timeframe - transfer to the big box TA. That way you will have an official guest conformation from the cruise line. I usually wait about 3 weeks and ask the cruise line for an updated conformation because the initial one may not be fully populated with all the perks/promotions/OBC.

• Like 2

On 9/14/2023 at 8:34 PM, patty1955 said:

Patty you say “Was told.  Supposed to be.”  That makes me nervous.  You say you have paper from the TA right?  I strongly recommend you get the Booking Confirmation document as another poster suggested.  I get mine from my TA even when they don’t want to give it to me!

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

Patty you say “Was told.  Supposed to be.”  That makes me nervous.  You say you have paper from the TA right?  I strongly recommend you get the Booking Confirmation document as another poster suggested.  I get mine from my TA even when they don’t want to give it to me!

The invoice from the TA clearly said that it includes the AI. As I understand it, the problem is that the booking with  Celebrity confirmation doesn't show it. 

7 hours ago, patty1955 said:

The invoice from the TA clearly said that it includes the AI. As I understand it, the problem is that the booking with  Celebrity confirmation doesn't show it. 

If you have a booking confirmation document from Celebrity and it doesn’t show something, then you don’t have it!  The booking confirmation very clearly shows what you have.   If you don’t understand all the codes, you can ask here.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, patty1955 said:

I would also ask for the Guest Confirmation on your original booking to see if Celebrity had AI included on that one. Regardless, the TA should cover their error that you have documentation for and they admit after listening to your prior phone conversation.

• Like 1

I think it's clear from the OP that the Celebrity confirmation would not include the perks.  That's really between the TA and Celebrity.  The TA represented to the customer that the rate they booked DID include the perks and the TA has confirmed that by verifying the phone conversation and is backed up by the written TA invoice.

The TA needs to make good on this.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, wrk2cruise said:

I think it's clear from the OP that the Celebrity confirmation would not include the perks.  That's really between the TA and Celebrity.  The TA represented to the customer that the rate they booked DID include the perks and the TA has confirmed that by verifying the phone conversation and is backed up by the written TA invoice.

The TA needs to make good on this.

Well the customer was told something which they never verified.  If an agent said, we’re giving OP $5,000 in OBC, should OP double check that?  Because an agent said it, therefore the TA must do it?