Do you expect MORE when NCL makes you PAY more to cruise????

expectthebest

14 minutes ago, Isabella Benjamin said:

I'm like 4'11.  I barely come up to the bar.  Not hyperbole.  I should still be able to get a drink though.  

Not hyperbole? Are you saying that you, literally, could never get drink, anytime, at any bar on the ship? The only time you were served was at a dining table?

I stand corrected.

Econ 101, supply and demand.  NCL will charge what the market will bear.  There are deals to be had but with more people traveling, perhaps fewer deals than before.  If a ship is under capacity with a month or two to go, the price will drop.  Of course, not everyone has the flexibility to take advantage of that.

To answer the question posed:  I pretty much know what to expect on an NCL cruise.  If I were in the Haven, my expectations would be higher but for the rest of the ship, it's generally going to fall in a certain range.  What I pay for that is another question entirely, more a function of where I'm going, whether I'm in peak season, length of the cruise, when I book, etc.  

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, seemoreroyals said:

If eggs go from $.70/dozen to $5.25/dozen  I don't expect to get them home any only have 6 eggs in them.  Therein lies the dilemma. 

But the dilemma is really that a cruise ship uses 50,000 eggs a week. Do you stop serving eggs on the buffet? Do you only allow people to take 13% of the eggs they used to (a 3-egg omelet becomes 1/4-egg omelet)? Or find some other areas to "reduce"?

The premise of the thread is "I am paying more,,, so I should get more". When in reality (1) you're paying more because it cost more to provide you the service; (2) you're paying more because the cruise line needs to recoup the costs of sitting idle for 1 1/2 years,,,, something no other industry was subjected to. And at the end of the day, you're paying more because that is what the market will bear right now. While the pandemic is "over", the financial impact of the pandemic will continue to be felt for many years. 

• Thanks 2

image.png.0a20a89b9b2c519f134dd5e6c36850b7.png

If you can't take the heat stay out of the kitchen, the Macdonalds, the gas station, the grocery store and the (used to be) Dollar store.

Can't do that because you need to drive and eat then give up something you don't have to have like cruising.

Love these first world rants. Move to Maui see how it is there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I agree that I too experience some sticker shock at some of the cruises that I am pricing, particularly when I'm looking for our partial family (4) or entire family (6). As others have emphasized, as consumers we are experiencing these price increases at literally every turn these days.

I do prefer NCL but we do cruise others lines as well so I always do a cost comparison before booking. Even though I thought it was pricey, on a day by day basis, our upcoming cruise on NCL was cheaper than alternatives priced with Celebrity. 

Cruising overall remains a good value for vacations in my opinion.

Hubby and I went to Chicago for the weekend in July. Arrival late afternoon on Thursday and departure mid-morning Sunday. After adding up all our receipts, that trip cost us around $2800 Canadian (approx. $2300 USD) for hotel, meals, entertainment, tours and transportation and this is with us using air miles for the flight and travelling everywhere by foot/train so we wouldn't incur taxi/uber costs.

The "cost per day" on that weekend surpassed what we'd typically spend per day on a cruise so it reinforced for us the value we realize in cruising.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Isabella Benjamin said:

I'm like 4'11.  I barely come up to the bar.  Not hyperbole.  I should still be able to get a drink though.  

So instead of using your words, sitting on a barstool, etc you just don't get a drink?    This makes no sense.  Why would you willingly go through life like that?

Everything's gone up post pandemic....and sizes/service has gone down.

Why should a cruilseline be different?  Pay more, less service, cutbacks.......

I'm a value shopper....want the most for my buck.  I may be finished with NCL because I found greener pastures.

I'm also finished with most of my local restaurants....higher prices, slower service, smaller portions.

That's just the way it is.

IMHO....you're paying with a devalued currency.  What you got for $$ in 2019, now costs "$$$ new dollars".

• Like 4

On 9/22/2023 at 6:57 AM, Tapi said:

Deals are out there. But maybe not on the newest ships, or the most popular routes or sailing dates. The pricing on those (no matter the cruise line) can be heart attack inducing. But with some flexibility, you can still get some great deals. 

This is the correct answer, if you are looking for a great deal you need to be flexible, but since you have kids I assume that you are bound to school breaks and that’s when most families go on vacation at the same time. 

My follow up question to the all would be: Can someone expect more because they paid significantly more, compared to another person booking shoulder season for the same ship and route and pay significantly less? 

I mean we personally are very flexible and are able to go bargain hunting, but when I see that the same cruise we booked is up to 3-4 times more expensive sailing 2 weeks later, it somehow feels wrong. We understand why the cruise line does it, but sometimes we think why pay that much more for the same!? I mean is there any advantage to the cruisers paying the top $$$ cruise? At least with most airlines nowadays your loyalty miles are calculated on the actual dollar amount spend, maybe cruise lines can do something like that.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, kasimir said:

..if you are looking for a great deal you need to be flexible, but since you have kids I assume that you are bound to school breaks and that’s when most families go on vacation at the same time. 

Very true. Having kids doesn’t give us as much flexibility as I’d wish, but we still find ways to find good bargains.

For example, a few years back, we were looking at cruising during Thanksgiving break. Needless to say, most Caribbean cruises from a US port were excessively priced, so I decided to expand my search. Turns out that, we could sail the Mediterranean for a fraction of what a Caribbean cruise would’ve cost. It was Thanksgiving in the US, but not in Europe, so we took advantage of very low season pricing. Even after adding flights, it was still cheaper. 

If we have no choice but to sail during the summer months, I look at sailings as early in the summer break as possible. Usually pricing is at its best then. That’s what we’re doing next year. Prices almost double the week after our booked sailing. 

• Like 2

Unfortunately the cruise business is not immune to the same economic conditions every other business is facing.  For every cutback, there is a high paying customer upset about it, and a bargain customer not so upset because they realize it helps them continue to get a bargain.  I'm neutral on the topic because I fall more in line with the bargain shopper but I'm willing to pay a little more to get what I want.  I sympathize with people that can't afford to cruise as often or well as they used to.  My family has tried out a few land based options lately which turned out to be similarly priced but just a different experience to throw in the mix, and a lot more effort to execute.  You still have to deal with increased prices, reduced service (i.e. no daily housekeeping, understaffing, waiting in line, etc.).  I've completely changed my restaurant and shopping habits locally due to cost/value/service changes in the past couple years.  Maybe it's just me, but I'm shocked at the amount of money some people spend on vacation.  If NCL keeps getting people to pay for their high priced itineraries and dates, NCL will keep the pricing.  I don't see them restoring any of these reduced services in the future.  My first choice is a NCL deal, but I don't limit my research and have no issues choosing another vacation provider.

21 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

Just had to mention that the price increase on the Sausage McMuffin with Egg has created a world in which I don't purchase it nearly as often. Now, they're 2 for $5. Used to be I purchased two of them a couple times a week (when they were 2 for $4). Now, I might get them once a week. My spending on this lovely breakfast item (it's actually and surprisingly good) has decreased by more than half since the price increase. Dang it, now I'm hungry! 

Sausage McMuffin® with Egg: Calories & Nutrition | McDonald's

Source: https://www.mcdonalds.com/us/en-us/product/sausage-mcmuffin-with-egg.html

I do have to say, even with the increased price, it seems the product is the same as I received when it was 2 for $4. One expects that (though I agree with your point on shrinkflation). The bag of chips I used to buy (key word is "used) were bigger and cheaper. Now that the chips are hovering at around $5/bag, I don't buy them anymore. No way I'm paying $5 for a few ounces of fried potatoes!! 

Thankfully, the Haven product hasn't been downgraded enough to cause me to cut spending there. I was worried when the Berkshire chop went away and the steak for breakfast became NY Strip and the Delmonico was replaced. But, the quality on available items is still excellent (and I can custom order that filet for breakfast). Teppanyaki, however, well...let's not get started on the NY Strip they offer. 

The New York Strip Steak on the Joy this August was tough to chew.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, njkate said:

Truth!! $350 will get you the day rate at hotels that offer day rate, that’s 6-8 hours depending on hotel

Very true - that was the day rate at the Vancouver Airport Fairmont for six hours - it may have actually been $380.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RD64 said:

Very true - that was the day rate at the Vancouver Airport Fairmont for six hours - it may have actually been $380.

Yep my flight wasn’t until 10:30 pm lots of disgruntled people sitting there at a packed airport waiting for late flights so that’s what I did as the city tour NCL offered was a drive around city then dumping everyone at Gran Isle to about noon and then dumping you at airport at 1pm. At least I was able to stretch out and take a much needed nap

Edited by njkate
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, JillK said:

I agree that I too experience some sticker shock at some of the cruises that I am pricing, particularly when I'm looking for our partial family (4) or entire family (6). As others have emphasized, as consumers we are experiencing these price increases at literally every turn these days.

I do prefer NCL but we do cruise others lines as well so I always do a cost comparison before booking. Even though I thought it was pricey, on a day by day basis, our upcoming cruise on NCL was cheaper than alternatives priced with Celebrity. 

Cruising overall remains a good value for vacations in my opinion.

Hubby and I went to Chicago for the weekend in July. Arrival late afternoon on Thursday and departure mid-morning Sunday. After adding up all our receipts, that trip cost us around $2800 Canadian (approx. $2300 USD) for hotel, meals, entertainment, tours and transportation and this is with us using air miles for the flight and travelling everywhere by foot/train so we wouldn't incur taxi/uber costs.

The "cost per day" on that weekend surpassed what we'd typically spend per day on a cruise so it reinforced for us the value we realize in cruising.

Did you add in the lost $$ from the mugging ?  ' )

3 hours ago, schmoopie17 said:

Can't stand eggs...period. How anyone can eat those disgusting things...especially when they're runny...is beyond me.

Eggs are a great source of vitamins and  'runny' is the only way to eat eggs.

Myself, I can't understand why anyone would eat a hard cooked egg. Or, Liver.  

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, CaptainSailPants said:

Did you add in the lost $$ from the mugging ?  ' )

Oh gosh - we did have a scary moment right off the bat when we got into the city with a very aggressive individual and to be honest I was wondering what we were getting ourselves into the rest of the way to the hotel... but the rest of the weekend was great. We did tons of walking and took the train everywhere (made it out to Wrigley and Soldier Field too) and had no further negative experiences so while pricey, a good weekend.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Barb Nahoumi said:

The New York Strip Steak on the Joy this August was tough to chew.  

My gosh, you bring back one of the few bad memories of our recent Prima cruise in May where I ordered the NY strip steak on the first night in the Hudson’s and it was absolutely horrible! It was like eating the sole of my shoe. 

But yes, vacationing especially in the US became crazy expensive! We usually like to go to NYC at least once per year and combine it with a cruise, but it feels like the nightly hotel rate is going up by $50-100 each year. For us it now reached a limit to be honest and our next NYC visit in early December might be the last one for a while. 
Like others mentioned, I am surprised how so many people are able or willing to pay these crazy prices. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, RD64 said:

What do you expect at  a property of that level?

If you want the best, you have to pay for it.

There's always the lesser brands.

People seem to be happy to over compensate for rising prices and just pay asking prices.

Last time(early this year) I looked at NCLH results the food costs had gone up something like $50-$60 per week(per person) so that's not adding 1000s to the cruise prices

The biggest rise was debt interest that had hit $30pp per cruise day.

• Like 1