BTimmer's Almost Live Grand South America 10/7/23 -12/19/2023

Btimmer

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"And another from Btimmer! Thank you for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic! Please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review"

Btimmer was awarded the badge '"Live from...."' and 5 points.

In two weeks we're off again on the Zaandam to do the Grand South America cruise.  Most of my "to do" items are done.  I'll be posting updates here along with pictures and doing one of my regular daily written blogs (link to come later).  Feel free to ask questions and I'll try to answer.  This will be our first "Grand" HAL cruise and we've seen much of the destination ports except for Rio and we've been on the Zaandam to Antarctica previously.  We're looking forward to a nice cruise. 

• Like 19
  • Thanks 4

Your itinerary looks awesome! As we're looking to book some longer cruises again with HAL, it will be fun to follow along to see what entertainment options are made available on their longer cruises. It will also be interesting to hear what it's like cruising around the Antarctica peninsula and through the Drake Passage in early November. I remember the high was 32 degrees and calm when we were there on the Zaandam back in January 2019!

Here's hoping you have an awesome cruise!!!

We were on the Zaandam to Greenland and Iceland in August. You should have Francois as hotel manager, if you remember him from the Maasdam. Also Gloria as Guest Relations Manager. The ship is clean and well maintained and the crew obviously picked as some of the most experienced. Even on our 25 day longer itinerary but not a Grand Voyage we had various things reminiscent of the old HAL such as the classical duo playing several sets each day to a packed Explorers Lounge, an onboard florist and beautiful decorations, a Sunday Brunch with the tasting menu, a crew talent show with the showroom packed, many deck games and more. We got Covid despite being very careful. The ship follows the CDC rules which of course means no testing now. After a couple of weeks many people were coughing. We thought it was just the usual ship cough but I guess not. 

Have a great cruise and we wish we were with you but will follow along,

Jill and Joe

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, RICHARD@SEA said:

Have a wonderful cruise - certainly a bucket list cruise...

If you have time would you post your to do list pre cruise - 

Cheers

Here's a typical list.  I customize it for each trip we take.  If it's a motorcycle trip, I add more motorcycle oriented items.  Many of these items on this list are very unique to my (our) needs.  As we travel very frequently, I have a pretty good mental check list and the paper one is just a backup. We pretty much just travel with a backpack and a small rolling suitcase.  For the GSA, we'll likely bring unfilled larger rolling suitcases so we have room for souvenirs.

Done Number To Do
xx 1 Stop Mail (sometimes we don't)
xx 2 Stop Paper
XX 3 Get $500US Money; 255 Euros & Pounds
NA 4 Pay Property Taxes
xx 5 Travel folder with shore excursion data & printed itinerary spreadsheets & cruise documents
xx 6 Check on VISA requirements
xx 7 Small Camera and Batteries
xx 8 Large zoom Camera & batteries
xx 9 Small tripod
xx 10 Kindle Fire & cable
xx 11 Laptop & cable
xx 12 Finish online check in & complete any online ship purchases
NA 13 Arrange for ride to airport
xx 14 DJI Action Camera, Battery, & Cord
  15 Download books onto Fire
  16 Water Off
  17 Water Heater Off
xx 18 Battery Tender on Wing
xx 19 Battery Tender on ST
xx 20 Battery Tender on WR
xx 21 Locks on Garage Doors
xx 22 Power off on Upper Garage Door
xx 23 Passport
xx 24 Wallet
xx 25 Vest
xx 26 Tape
xx 27 Portable battery for phone
xx 28 Extra SD cards
xx 29 1 110v power cords
xx 30 CPAP
xx 31 Handi Floss 
xx 32 Utility bags (2  chargers)
na 33 Binoculars
xx 34 Stickers
xx 35 Business cards
xx 36 List for airline flights
na 37 Call Chase Bank
na 38 Call BofA
xx 39 Online Schwab
NA 40 Call Citibank
NA 41 Wire money to Schwab
xx 42 Mow Lawn
na 43 Blow off Roof

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Mosaic said:

So we are doing the Zaandam to the Amazon in February.   Does your trip show any excursions for Devils Island or Macapa??? For our trip HAL shows none....   Thanks!

Devils island has a fixed walking route, no excursions!

• Like 1

On 9/24/2023 at 12:49 PM, ScottishMaid said:

We were on the Zaandam to Greenland and Iceland in August. You should have Francois as hotel manager, if you remember him from the Maasdam. Also Gloria as Guest Relations Manager. The ship is clean and well maintained and the crew obviously picked as some of the most experienced. Even on our 25 day longer itinerary but not a Grand Voyage we had various things reminiscent of the old HAL such as the classical duo playing several sets each day to a packed Explorers Lounge, an onboard florist and beautiful decorations, a Sunday Brunch with the tasting menu, a crew talent show with the showroom packed, many deck games and more. We got Covid despite being very careful. The ship follows the CDC rules which of course means no testing now. After a couple of weeks many people were coughing. We thought it was just the usual ship cough but I guess not. 

Have a great cruise and we wish we were with you but will follow along,

Jill and Joe

I'm on the Zaandam now, staying on for the Grand SA/A cruise, and the hotel manager and guest relations managers have changed since you were on board, just FYI.

Edited by WriterOnDeck
  • Thanks 1

See you when you board, Tim! You'll love the grand cruise experience. I'll try to keep up with your thread, and will blogging myself as usual at http://www.WriterOnDeck.com.

Nice pre-cruise checklist. (Although it makes me glad I sold my house and car, as my list is considerably shorter now.)

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, WriterOnDeck said:

I'm on the Zaandam now, staying on for the Grand SA/A cruise, and the hotel manager and guest relations managers have changed since you were on board, just FYI.

Yes Francois left 29th July with the implication he will be back for the GSA. I made a mistake in the name of the Guest Relation Manager. She was Joanne and left 23rd August for a very short break before returning. They are both very efficient and approachable. 

I really enjoy your style of writing and followed your Zuiderdam travels. Enjoying your comments now as we were on the ship 29 July to 3rd September. Thank you for writing.

• Like 1

I was booked for this trip and was really looking forward to it. Unfortunately I had to cancel due to an unexpected surgery. I will be following along and enjoying the trip thru your eyes.

Enjoy!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We're now 2.5 hours behind the scheduled departure.  The engine vibrations are pulsing through the ship so departure must be soon.

We had our swiftest embarkation ever!  It was under 5 minutes.  I'll write about it in tonight's blog.

Our Hotel General Manager is our favorite from many cruise days on the Volendam.  Our C&T Director is also a favorite.

Its been blazing hot today and I definitely prefer my view from the air conditioned comfort of the Crow's Nest.  

The ship was having problems with the internet (shocking I know), so I don't know when my updates will start after I lose cell service (which is spectacular).

IMG_6291.thumb.jpeg.997d13402e9edc27f7ba6c3307c500a1.jpeg

IMG_6295.thumb.jpeg.02cd6600d1ee642c97ac9970e0950b26.jpeg

IMG_6296.thumb.jpeg.644b098105ce4ae760e8f6eb18e424fb.jpeg

our hotel general manager 

IMG_6297.thumb.jpeg.a344c89cc1254c7cba577f5b035c720c.jpeg

Edited by Btimmer
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1