Land & Sea - LIVE (nearly) from Amsterdam and ms Rotterdam 15 day Atlantic Sojourn - October 7th, 2023

kazu

1 hour ago, pdanza22 said:

Good afternoon, was in the ladies room and did not hear the Captain’s announcement. Only caught the part about safety? Was it about docking tomorrow? Thanks. 

My understanding was we are good for Punta Delgado tomorrow BUT….

There is a big storm so we are going to divert when we leave and head north (?) and west and then southerly in an attempt to miss the worst of it.  North Atlantic Seas can be a bit dicey so we’ll just have to hope that King Neptune smiles upon us 🤞 

Captain said he would record it so we could watch the announcement in our cabin.  He just made another announcement but the sound was breaking up and I could not hear where I was.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

28 minutes ago, kazu said:

My understanding was we are good for Punta Delgado tomorrow BUT….

There is a big storm so we are going to divert when we leave and head north (?) and west and then southerly in an attempt to miss the worst of it.  North Atlantic Seas can be a bit dicey so we’ll just have to hope that King Neptune smiles upon us 🤞 

Captain said he would record it so we could watch the announcement in our cabin.  He just made another announcement but the sound was breaking up and I could not hear where I was.

Thank you for the information.  We could not hear the other as well. We will definitely check our TV. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, kazu said:

Probably easiest to visualize -- 

A bit of threading the needle w/ TS Sean to the south - but NOAA NHC  is saying that its maximum sustained winds have decreased to near 40 mph (65 kmh) with some higher gusts -- and that additional weakening is anticipated. Thankfully, Sean will likely become a post-tropical remnant low over the weekend -- so a tropical nothingburger.    Scott. 

image.thumb.png.46bf42307389c85fa7cd7035ed06ecc7.png

Edited by YXU AC*SE
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 4

Jacqui,

So glad to find this thread and hear that you are having a wonderful and healthy cruise. 😀  You sure deserve it!!! 

I have a  question about the cabs that your group took to Bruges.   DH and I will be on the MS Rotterdam next May where our first stop is Zeebrugge.  Last May, we DIY'd (after the cruise that you missed on the N. Statendam) when we took a train from Antwerp to Bruges.  The train was very crowded going back to Antwerp, and our party had to stand up the entire way back.  We do not wish to repeat that experience.  I wanted to know if you were pleased with taking the taxi from the port of Zeebrugge?  As I understand it, there is no need to book ahead of time...correct?  DH is a bit leery, especially for the return.  Did you have any problems with your taxi driver returning on time?

BTW-Thank you for the suggestion of relaxing with beer, shrimp rolls, and frites.  We plan to have a more relaxed visit, plus a canal ride (that we missed the last trip) and just hang out to take it all in. 😉

Also, because of your review, we are now planning on taking a pre-cruise train from Rotterdam (our home port) up to Haarlem for a tour of town and the Corrie Ten Boom House.  I had never heard of her story, though the book and movie title rang a bell.  I have already reserved tickets to the house, plus downloaded the book to my Kindle.  Started reading The Hiding Place last night.  Once read, I plan to watch the old movie on Netflix.  Thank you!!!

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Iamthesea said:

Also, because of your review, we are now planning on taking a pre-cruise train from Rotterdam (our home port) up to Haarlem for a tour of town and the Corrie Ten Boom House.  I had never heard of her story, though the book and movie title rang a bell.  I have already reserved tickets to the house, plus downloaded the book to my Kindle.  Started reading The Hiding Place last night.  Once read, I plan to watch the old movie on Netflix.  Thank you!!!

I see I’m not the only one planing to spend a day in Haarlem in the future after reading Jaqui’s review! I also downloaded The Hiding Place from my local library’s free ebook service and started reading it this week. And I found the movie on Prime video.

Thanks so much for a wonderful thread, Jaqui!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Caribbean Chris said:

I see I’m not the only one planing to spend a day in Haarlem in the future after reading Jaqui’s review! I also downloaded The Hiding Place from my local library’s free ebook service and started reading it this week. And I found the movie on Prime video.

Thanks so much for a wonderful thread, Jaqui!

On our last trip to the Netherlands we stayed pre-cruise in Haarlem. It was wonderful. So much more laid back than Amsterdam with plenty to do for a few days.

We have stayed in Rotterdam and Amsterdam previously on land trips and have enjoyed them too.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Good morning on the Rotterdam @kazu!  Your pictures of the great fish dishes are so good to see, and it sounds like HAL really is making the effort to upgrade the food experience.

I haven't seen anyone mention if the new added cost Morimoto MDR dishes are selling ($25!!) and have you heard the opinion of anyone that has tried them?  They really don't sound that great on paper to me.  🤷‍♀️

Thanks for keeping us all informed and entertained!!

~Nancy

• Like 4

@marshawells I have left you 3 messages.  Please - I increased my tour numbers to accommodate the two of you and need to be paid accordingly since you chose not to show up - $360 USD & 23 euros for your tickets.  I don’t have access to internet and borrowed someone else’s device.  Please contact me - cabin 1168.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, NancyCS said:

@marshawells I have left you 3 messages.  Please - I increased my tour numbers to accommodate the two of you and need to be paid accordingly since you chose not to show up - $360 USD & 23 euros for your tickets.  I don’t have access to internet and borrowed someone else’s device.  Please contact me - cabin 1168.

Nancy, I sent you several messages through your email which I have copies. I also use navigator. No response. As I explained in first response we were changing rooms and gave our new cabin number. Neither of us had used phone until we ordered room service and phone was not plugged up. I plugged it up and no messages. 

22 minutes ago, YXU AC*SE said:

The wind forecast suggests not.  Scott. 

image.thumb.png.b3101c98f8b87078d854a10aac94fb56.png

Oct - Nov is Hurricane season so there is always a chance that a trans Atlantic at that time of year can be a bit rough, hope it doesn't get too bad. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ski ww said:

Oct - Nov is Hurricane season so there is always a chance that a trans Atlantic at that time of year can be a bit rough, hope it doesn't get too bad. 

Actually it's flow toward a low pressure NNE of São Miguel Island.

image.thumb.png.8bf077aa76bdbfc9cabce43f31cfa453.png

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Iamthesea said:

Jacqui,

So glad to find this thread and hear that you are having a wonderful and healthy cruise. 😀  You sure deserve it!!! 

I have a  question about the cabs that your group took to Bruges.   DH and I will be on the MS Rotterdam next May where our first stop is Zeebrugge.  Last May, we DIY'd (after the cruise that you missed on the N. Statendam) when we took a train from Antwerp to Bruges.  The train was very crowded going back to Antwerp, and our party had to stand up the entire way back.  We do not wish to repeat that experience.  I wanted to know if you were pleased with taking the taxi from the port of Zeebrugge?  As I understand it, there is no need to book ahead of time...correct?  DH is a bit leery, especially for the return.  Did you have any problems with your taxi driver returning on time?

BTW-Thank you for the suggestion of relaxing with beer, shrimp rolls, and frites.  We plan to have a more relaxed visit, plus a canal ride (that we missed the last trip) and just hang out to take it all in. 😉

We used Martin’s taxi.  We’ve used them before and they are very reliable.  We just tell them what time we want to be picked up and they are always there early.

They also have cabs at the port.  We just have a tendency to reserve and have it ready for us.

Lou, the owner (a female) is excellent.  In fact she was at Bruges to check on us and drove our cab home.

They are comfy and hold a number of people.  I highly recommend them.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 5

6 hours ago, oakridger said:

Good morning on the Rotterdam @kazu!  Your pictures of the great fish dishes are so good to see, and it sounds like HAL really is making the effort to upgrade the food experience.

I haven't seen anyone mention if the new added cost Morimoto MDR dishes are selling ($25!!) and have you heard the opinion of anyone that has tried them?  They really don't sound that great on paper to me.  🤷‍♀️

Thanks for keeping us all informed and entertained!!

~Nancy

Haven’t tried it yet nor know anyone who has.  I may just do it one night for the heck of it 😉 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Alas, we tried.   Unfortunately now, and a further complication to matters, we are also in need of an helicopter evacuation of a stricken crew member -- with ~30 knot winds.  Not an enviable extraction.  Prayers for the safety of all involved. Scott. 

image.thumb.png.c5e6c1b03214b51012d7ca890ad66984.png

Edited by YXU AC*SE
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 5

Good morning from the Rotterdam floating around  Punta Delgada.  

It’s been hectic. - up early to get organized for our whale watching and as it became more and more evident it wasn’t happening - back to the room to get smaller bills and refund everyone in our group.

There’s been 3 attempts and it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to know we won’t be docking.

Captain did a presentation on the storm he is trying to slip around on the tv for us yesterday.

IMG_2302.thumb.jpeg.1b38971f3403ccb9c8f5c5ae978d727a.jpeg

i think we are in for some rough seas

this is as close as we will get to seeing Punta Delgada

IMG_2308.thumb.jpeg.4ead53bb131851f1cd46024f14ce4d28.jpeg

Announcement made - cancelled formally.

The sea view pool has been cleared of tables, chairs and people.  Sadly one of the crew has fallen critically ill and we are awaiting a helicopter medical evacuation.  Hoping they can do it.  The winds are pretty high.

Tina was in the Tamarind and got a neat video.  Hoping she can post it for you.

She had to leave as the crew member will be taken via the Tamarind.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 8

12 minutes ago, kazu said:

Good morning from the Rotterdam floating around  Punta Delgada...

There’s been 3 attempts and it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to know we won’t be docking...

IMG_2302.thumb.jpeg.1b38971f3403ccb9c8f5c5ae978d727a.jpeg

i think we are in for some rough seas

this is as close as we will get to seeing Punta Delgada

IMG_2308.thumb.jpeg.4ead53bb131851f1cd46024f14ce4d28.jpeg

Announcement made - cancelled formally...

Tina was in the Tamarind and got a neat video.  Hoping she can post it for you...

So unfortunate you will not get to Punta Delgada - I hear it's gorgeous. We are scheduled there on our TA in Nov and will be crossing toes, fingers and anything else I can cross...I will anxiously await Tina's video.

I hope you all stay safe and the crew member is able to be picked up.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

So unfortunate you will not get to Punta Delgada - I hear it's gorgeous. We are scheduled there on our TA in Nov and will be crossing toes, fingers and anything else I can cross...I will anxiously await Tina's video.

I hope you all stay safe and the crew member is able to be picked up.

Thanks.  I feel for the crew member.  The helicopter will have to lower the basket for him.  That would be one scary ride.

• Like 8

Have you talked with any fellow travelers who attended the watercolor classes? I’ve seen a few on the schedules. What was their opinion? 

Sorry about missing the port. 

Edited by mawvkysc
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Haljo1935 said:

I will anxiously await Tina's video.

I clipped the video to 30 seconds and I still cannot get it to upload.  I have the regular HIA internet.  Generally, it has been good this cruise; I can send iMessages, check my email and access CC.  However, I cannot stream any type of video.

I believe that the medical disembark was by boat.  We heard the ship’s horn and then saw a boat leaving the ship.IMG_8425.thumb.jpeg.cb4840c98b45c0bacb8dd0c18e3569f6.jpeg

8 hours ago, oakridger said:

I haven't seen anyone mention if the new added cost Morimoto MDR dishes are selling ($25!!) and have you heard the opinion of anyone that has tried them? 

I do not believe there is any “fresh” Halibut on the ship.  It would be flash frozen and IMO not worth a $25 upcharge.  That being said, I have had fish at least once a day.  Previously, I found most fish dishes to be overcooked and dry.  This cruise, I have been pleasantly surprised to find the fish slightly undercooked, just the way I like it.  In addition to smoked salmon at breakfast, they have smoked trout and herring.  The fish (cod) & chips at lunch is very good if you get it fresh out of the fryer, a nice light batter.  Every fish dish I have had at dinner had been excellent, a very pleasant surprise.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4