Israel Next week Voyager

lux4me

For those of us who have traveled often, there are incumbent risks involved, especially in today’s climate.  We acknowledge them at the start of any commitment to an adventure.  Travel insurance helps and is a balm, but there are risks.  What’s the alternative? It must be to stay at home and become an “armchair” traveler. No thanks! 

• Like 8

1 minute ago, RELS said:

The stop in Egypt might be the excuse needed to claim insurance reimbursement for the cruise. Terrorism is a covered reason under some plans, and the shooting in Alexandria might count.

Also, the initial attack in Israel was terrorism, not war, and might still be classified as such, given that the war declaration was (still is?) one sided and happened later.

The cruise has not been cancelled. There is no claim for the cruise solely for port changes. The major insurance companies made the call to consider this a War when Netanyahu legally declared it a War. Either way, as long as the cruise is happening, I am not sure what you are going to claim. However, if you go that route, I wish you luck and hope this situation reaches a conclusion that is acceptable to you. Personally, I am calling to see if any cabins are opening up on the 10/15 Voyager cruise...I can pack in 15 minutes.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

I never buy air with a cruise line.  I re-booked with no problem our United flight (no charge), great seats, great flights and excellent customer service. All within 32 minutes.  (I am not an employee or share owner of United.) 

Learned our lesson decades ago. Just sayin.’

• Like 8

1 minute ago, HotelSnob1 said:

I never buy air with a cruise line.  I re-booked with no problem our United flight (no charge), great seats, great flights and excellent customer service. All within 32 minutes.  (I am not an employee or share owner of United.) 

Learned our lesson decades ago. Just sayin.’

I’m Learning that lesson now!

4 minutes ago, Lonedaddy said:

And we shouldn’t enjoy our steak because there are starving people in Africa!   

I don’t mind the change what I mind is regent deciding my air and precruise plan without my input.  I paid for the flight regent booked it and now it is too late to cancel and rebook another on my own.  I have a TA and they are willing to make the change but regent won’t let them.  That is the issue .

If you paid extra for a specific flight and now you are getting crappy flights (Ie. flights with no surcharge) to Istanbul then I strongly suspect you will get that money back...when all is said and done.

Understandable.  I would feel equally frustrated not knowing what my new travel plans are.  We have got to the point where we don’t use transfers to/from airport/ship or hotel/ship that cruise line offers.  Too many variables … 

1 hour ago, Pcardad said:

What is the exact risk of stopping in Egypt? 

Here is what I see as the risk: The increased likelihood of terrorism directed at Americans. Egypt is very close to the war zone. There are people there who don’t like Americans. There are religious extremists there. Porting a cruise ship with Americans there is a very big and visible target. Putting passengers on buses and taking them to Cairo puts them in even greater risk. 

Under normal conditions I would have said it’s reasonably safe to stop in Egypt, but not now with the war going on next door. 

I would be surprised if Regent’s insurance company would even allow the ship to dock in Egypt. 

Bottom line, no passenger should ever be forced to take a cruise into a war zone when they had no idea the conditions would be such when they booked. 

America is not a neutral party in this war and I would advise Americans to stay far away from any conflict areas or places where extremists operate. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, giustot said:

Here is what I see as the risk: The increased likelihood of terrorism directed at Americans. Egypt is very close to the war zone. There are people there who don’t like Americans. There are religious extremists there. Porting a cruise ship with Americans there is a very big and visible target. Putting passengers on buses and taking them to Cairo puts them in even greater risk. 

Under normal conditions I would have said it’s reasonably safe to stop in Egypt, but not now with the war going on next door. 

I would be surprised if Regent’s insurance company would even allow the ship to dock in Egypt. 

Bottom line, no passenger should ever be forced to take a cruise into a war zone when they had no idea the conditions would be such when they booked. 

America is not a neutral party in this war and I would advise Americans to stay far away from any conflict areas or places where extremists operate. 

I agree with almost all of that. However, Egypt is not in a war zone nor would Regent take passengers there is they felt it was a risk. Neither would their insurance company allow them to.  

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, giustot said:

Great post Giustot! 

3 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

I agree with almost all of that. However, Egypt is not in a war zone nor would Regent take passengers there is they felt it was a risk. Neither would their insurance company allow them to.  

Egypt is very near the conflict. Conflict could spill over into Egypt very easily. You can only speculate that it is safe or unsafe. You telling us it is safe or that RSSC will make sure we are safe is an opinion you have expressed for many posts. It does not change how we feel. Let those of us on the cruise figure this out. Many will continue and feel safe…For the passengers who feel unsafe RSSC should offer a refund or credit. RSSC should realize this is an out of the ordinary situation. 

Just now, melbox4 said:

Egypt is very near the conflict. Conflict could spill over into Egypt very easily. You can only speculate that it is safe or unsafe. You telling us it is safe or that RSSC will make sure we are safe is an opinion you have expressed for many posts. It does not change how we feel. Let those of us on the cruise figure this out. Many will continue and feel safe…For the passengers who feel unsafe RSSC should offer a refund or credit. RSSC should realize this is an out of the ordinary situation. 

I have a vested interest on a few levels so I will remain in this conversation. I am trying to get ON this cruise myself...now that some people may not show.

• Like 7

Thank you! Joining the ship on 10/15.  We were on Regent many times when the ship was diverted due to unpredicted hostilities in a country we were scheduled to visit. Nicaragua comes to mind while we were on a Panama Canal cruise. 
It’s been our experience with Regent that it errs on the side of caution, sometimes to the disappointment of its passengers.  We always felt very, very safe with Regent and are looking forward to this trip.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Pcardad said:

Another question is why the guests did not get Cancel For Any Reason Insurance...then they would be covered for a port change on a cruise that is still going forward. 

Unfortunately this is not available in all countries. Not in mine! 

2 hours ago, Pcardad said:

I have a vested interest on a few levels so I will remain in this conversation. I am trying to get ON this cruise myself...now that some people may not show.

Pcardad, online it looks like only concierge suite D is available. Everything else is waitlisted.!

50 minutes ago, PhD-iva said:

Pcardad, online it looks like only concierge suite D is available. Everything else is waitlisted.!

I wish there was a way to sell my reservation to Pcardad, but the ID/TSA/Passport requirements make this impossible.

8 hours ago, Pcardad said:

Another question is why the guests did not get Cancel For Any Reason Insurance...then they would be covered for a port change on a cruise that is still going forward. 

ANSWER TO YOUR QUESTION: In the U.S. it is not available in all states, including NY where the insurance commissioner forbids it. Also, even where it is offered, it is not always a panacea since most of the time it only covers 75% of costs if you decide to cancel.

11 minutes ago, edgee said:

ANSWER TO YOUR QUESTION: In the U.S. it is not available in all states, including NY where the insurance commissioner forbids it. Also, even where it is offered, it is not always a panacea since most of the time it only covers 75% of costs if you decide to cancel.

AND extremely expensive.  We get insurance that covers preexisting conditions and that is very expensive. 

28 minutes ago, PhD-iva said:

Not as expensive as canceling for a non covered reason.

But if you take more than 1 cruise a year, in your 70’s, preexisting condition coverage is very pricey.  We just won’t go to certain parts of the world where we worry about war. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rcandkc said:

But if you take more than 1 cruise a year, in your 70’s, preexisting condition coverage is very pricey.  We just won’t go to certain parts of the world where we worry about war. 

I’m very worried for those travelers that are in Israel expecting to get on ship in a few days.  I would personally freak out.  I’m praying they are ok. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rcandkc said:

It is nothing new for cruise lines to not give future credit or otherwise give refunds when something happens to change the cruise itineraries be it weather or political unrest/war. As long as the cruse sails the line leaves it up to the passenger to make the cruise or not. Passenger choice.

This is a risk that has always been born by the passenger. If you can’t insure for the risk and are not willing to self insure or go where the cruse takes you, that cruise is not for you.  

We have missed ports and had cruises rerouted before the cruise started or after we boarded. Regent or any other cruise line has never taken us to a truly unsafe place. Egypt has always been iffy. We have always traveled in bus/van convoys with armed guards in the bus and police blocking traffic for us. When we have done private tours there, the driver was armed and he had a armed to the teeth wingman riding with him from the ship. Then we have met the guide once we got to Cairo or Luxor. This cruise was always going to Egypt, the only change is to the first two ports. It was always a cruise to places that could sink into chaos overnight. Regent strongly suggest insurance because the risk is unfortunately the passengers.

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, cwn said:

It is nothing new for cruise lines to not give future credit or otherwise give refunds when something happens to change the cruise itineraries be it weather or political unrest/war. As long as the cruse sails the line leaves it up to the passenger to make the cruise or not. Passenger choice.

This is a risk that has always been born by the passenger. If you can’t insure for the risk and are not willing to self insure or go where the cruse takes you, that cruise is not for you.  

We have missed ports and had cruises rerouted before the cruise started or after we boarded. Regent or any other cruise line has never taken us to a truly unsafe place. Egypt has always been iffy. We have always traveled in bus/van convoys with armed guards in the bus and police blocking traffic for us. When we have done private tours there, the driver was armed and he had a armed to the teeth wingman riding with him from the ship. Then we have met the guide once we got to Cairo or Luxor. This cruise was always going to Egypt, the only change is to the first two ports. It was always a cruise to places that could sink into chaos overnight. Regent strongly suggest insurance because the risk is unfortunately the passengers.

We have been on plenty of cruises with changed itineraries and missed ports.  We do always take insurance.  
I personally think this situation is pretty scary.  Not sure why me saying that is a problem.