new to sailing since covid opinion of changes to cruising.

HI All,

I haven't been on cruise critic since 2018 after my last Granduer of the Seas sailing.

My husband and I are planning on Vision of the Seas for January 19 for his bday>  I understand a lot of changes since COVId.  What is everyone opinion on the changes?

Is there any way around registering with apps, I really just use my phone for phone stuff and what happened to the chilled soups and the twice daily room service?  Just trying to prepare myself for the new world of cruising...

20 minutes ago, parrottmama said:

HI All,

I haven't been on cruise critic since 2018 after my last Granduer of the Seas sailing.

My husband and I are planning on Vision of the Seas for January 19 for his bday>  I understand a lot of changes since COVId.  What is everyone opinion on the changes?

Is there any way around registering with apps, I really just use my phone for phone stuff and what happened to the chilled soups and the twice daily room service?  Just trying to prepare myself for the new world of cruising...

App isnt required, your choice. I sign in at 45 days out online, not on the app. I use the app onboard to check my account and menu then put my phone or whatever in the safe. You can still walk by the Mdr and read the menu same as before.

I always told them leave my cabin alone, so cleaning once a day imo great improvement. Muster is a quick check in app helps but still its quick, just walk by, no app, takes 2 minutes instead of 60 seconds.

Personally not a fan of grandeur or small ships, each to his own. Older ship expect less food choices and less to do and lower level entertainment. If you liked grandeur you should be good to go.

I'm fine with changes, some are, some arent. I remember chilled soups more on carnival than rcl. I love the mushroom and poblano soup. Never going to please everyone. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, parrottmama said:

Shore excursion question..Do you still get tickets for the shore excursions like you used too before the days of apps.

Yes.  Printed tickets delivered to your cabin.

The app is too flakey to use for excursions. 🙂

I just booked some excursions.  In my app, I have NONE shown.  My companion shows the ones I booked.

MDR menus are also on the screens near the elevators all day.

We will be on the Vision cruise right after yours!  We love that ship, and Baltimore sailings.

We've done six cruises since they resumed; have never used the app (nor a smartphone). We were always able to do the checkin without it, until our September cruise. For that one we were instructed to just show up at the terminal with our booking number.  (As it turned out, we were unable to do the cruise, not our choice, so I can't comment on how that went.)

We've never had a problem having paper menus, paper cruise compasses, etc.

The biggest changes we've noticed are an increased number of young adults aboard, and, probably due to the year spent in pajamas and sweats, and working from home, the more casual feel overall. One of those is a demand for faster meals in MDR, with some unable to appreciate a dinner that lasts more than 45 minutes. 

It is still a wonderful way to spend a week or more!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/10/2023 at 6:49 PM, parrottmama said:

HI All,

The Vision is a mighty fine ship.  We sailed on her 6 times.  It never gets old.

Edited by fenton04
Content
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We love the smaller ships.  Just recently did a 12 night on Serenade and it was a great cruise.  Vision is a lovely ship--we've sailed on her twice.

Our room steward preferred to service our cabin in the morning, which was fine.  But he checked in with us in the evening to see if we needed ice or clean towels.  

The app is OK for seeing events around the ship.  If you prefer a paper Cruise planner, you can either scan the QR code near guest services (looks much like the paper copy) or ask your room steward for a paper copy.

I'm a fairly picky eater, but we thought the MDR selections were fine.  Our meals were always delivered warm, and we were able to request anything additional we needed.   Service was awesome.

• Like 1

Thank you to all who have responded to my questions.  I sometimes have panic attacks when I feel I don't have the answers and you all have helped me a lot.

What is the Solarium like these days on Seas days, do you still have to get up at the crack of dawn to get a seat?

Thanks again, hearing your replies makes me feel better about sailing the Vision.  

• Like 1